ADVERTISEMENT

Buckingham dismissed from UR Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree. I’m team Gilyard.
nathan, Blake is perhaps better than Jacob. Grant is skilled, agile and more importantly, 6’10” 265 pounds, the latter attribute you cannot teach. Perhaps Jacob vs Blake debatable; Grant vs anyone else is not.

nathan, Blake is perhaps better than Jacob. Grant is skilled, agile and more importantly, 6’10” 265 pounds, the latter attribute you cannot teach. Perhaps Jacob vs Blake debatable; Grant vs anyone else is not.
Blake has a year of experience on Jacob. Jacob needs a guy as good or better than him in practice to make him a better player. Grant improved from beginning of year to the end and based on his progression I feel he will be much better overall than TJ and maybe one of our all time best big men. I would love to see Grant improve his foot speed and lateral movement to help him more on defense.

I don't believe in rating each player, for they all have different attributes that the team needs to be successful.

Reactions: gcarter52
Blake has a year of experience on Jacob. Jacob needs a guy as good or better than him in practice to make him a better player. Grant improved from beginning of year to the end and based on his progression I feel he will be much better overall than TJ and maybe one of our all time best big men. I would love to see Grant improve his foot speed and lateral movement to help him more on defense.

I don't believe in rating each player, for they all have different attributes that the team needs to be successful.

Extremely high praise to think GG will be better than TJ. He isn't close to TJ's scoring efficiency yet, and lightyears away from his passing ability. GG may have the edge defensively though. Maybe he will get to TJ's level eventually but he has a lot of catching up to do.

Last edited:
Extremely high praise to think GG will be better than TJ. He isn't close to TJ's scoring efficiency yet, and lightyears away from his passing ability. GG may have the edge defensively though. Maybe he will get to TJ's level eventually but he has a lot of catching up to do.
2011, not really. Even TJ said Grant will be better. Hard to dispute the source of that comment. One thing TJ pointed out was Grant is just much bigger. Go back and review video of Grant running and TJ; Grant is a much better athlete. Not to denigrate TJ, he is one of my favorite Spiders of all time as he achieved more than he was God given through the extremely hard work. Grant was just given much more talent to work with, a fact TJ recognized early on,

2011, not really. Even TJ said Grant will be better. Hard to dispute the source of that comment. One thing TJ pointed out was Grant is just much bigger. Go back and review video of Grant running and TJ; Grant is a much better athlete. Not to denigrate TJ, he is one of my favorite Spiders of all time as he achieved more than he was God given through the extremely hard work. Grant was just given much more talent to work with, a fact TJ recognized early on,

TJ also said we should be excited for Solly. TJ was one of the best passing big men in the history of college basketball, the only Richmond player to ever get a triple double, and one of only a handful of college basketball players in the past 2 decades to have multiple triple doubles in a single season. He also had a career 2FG% of 62%, and 3FG% of 36%, he was a truly elite scorer that GG does not come close to yet. You have a huge underappreciation for TJ's talent and accomplishments if you think it is likely that GG will surpass him.

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
TJ also said we should be excited for Solly. TJ was one of the best passing big men in the history of college basketball, the only Richmond player to ever get a triple double, and one of only a handful of college basketball players in the past 2 decades to have multiple triple doubles in a single season. He also had a career 2FG% of 62%, and 3FG% of 36%, he was a truly elite scorer that GG does not come close to yet. You have a huge underappreciation for TJ's talent and accomplishments if you think it is likely that GG will surpass him.
Sorry, 2011, but Solly has nothing to do with Grant.

And was the conference player of the year his senior year. We haven’t had a lot of those.

Thankfully Grant still has 3 full years to catch up with TJ.

I'm usually one to be cautious about proclaiming greatness on somebody but what Grant showed his freshman year was truly remarkable for a big man.

2011 - can you do a comparison of Grant's freshman numbers to TJ's? Its not really fair to either to compare senior TJ or even full career TJ with freshman Grant. But I'd be interested in seeing how they compare in year one.

Reactions: urfan1
love TJ. love how he embraced being the face and voice of Spider hoops. love how he dedicated himself to becoming the best athlete possible. love his energy and his smile and how he took teammates under his wing. he's a great Spider.

Grant may not be able to do everything as well as TJ, but we've only seen his freshman year.

end of the career, when we're looking back at a 2,000 point scoring big man's career, there will be no doubt Grant was the best big man to play here.

Reactions: SpiderRick
Thankfully Grant still has 3 full years to catch up with TJ.

I'm usually one to be cautious about proclaiming greatness on somebody but what Grant showed his freshman year was truly remarkable for a big man.

2011 - can you do a comparison of Grant's freshman numbers to TJ's? Its not really fair to either to compare senior TJ or even full career TJ with freshman Grant. But I'd be interested in seeing how they compare in year one.

TJ was far ahead of Grant offensively in their first full years at Richmond. Grant has higher raw numbers due to playing more minutes, but in terms of efficiency he was far below TJ.

On offense we have....

Assist rate:
GG 16%
TJ 18%

Turnover rate:
GG 17%
TJ 15%

FT%:
GG 63%
TJ 65%

2FG%:
GG 55%
TJ 61%

3FG%:
GG 28%
TJ 39%

TJ's offensive scoring ability was on a really high level from his first year. His passing ability became extremely elite while developing at Richmond. It will be very difficult for GG to get to >35% 3FG shooting and >60% 2FG shooting over his career (TJ was already there his freshmen year), and reaching TJ's assist ability will be virtually impossible.

Reactions: Spider2020
TJ was far ahead of Grant offensively in their first full years at Richmond. Grant has higher raw numbers due to playing more minutes, but in terms of efficiency he was far below TJ.

On offense we have....

Assist rate:
GG 16%
TJ 18%

Turnover rate:
GG 17%
TJ 15%

FT%:
GG 63%
TJ 65%

2FG%:
GG 55%
TJ 61%

3FG%:
GG 28%
TJ 39%

TJ's offensive scoring ability was on a really high level from his first year. His passing ability became extremely elite while developing at Richmond. It will be very difficult for GG to get to >35% 3FG shooting and >60% 2FG shooting over his career (TJ was already there his freshmen year), and reaching TJ's assist ability will be virtually impossible.
And what were each of them? As a red shirt freshman, he is looking real good for his next three years.

On offense we have....

Assist rate:
GG 16%
TJ 18%

Turnover rate:
GG 17%
TJ 15%

FT%:
GG 63%
TJ 65%

2FG%:
GG 55%
TJ 61%

3FG%:
GG 28%
TJ 39%

Maybe we should compare that year of TJ’s to the upcoming season of GG’s?
That may show where each were with 2 years remaining in their career?

There just seem to be too many people discounting the abilities of both. They don’t both have the same strengths and weaknesses but both do have strengths and weaknesses.

This may be an interesting conversation in 2025...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT