ADVERTISEMENT

Buckingham dismissed from UR Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could accept this with a much greater level of tranquility if Buck had just transferred. Or he got kicked off during the season after his first suspension. Or got kicked off immediately following the season. Or we hadn't posted his highlight video - which no way in hell Mooney allows if he knew he was under the possibility of being dismissed, and by god he better know this - then was common knowledge he was looking for release, AND THEN gets dismissed.
And then Jim Miller's hit job.
ETC, ETC.
Thanks for posting this Ulla and keeping it at the top, nice job fella. :)
Mooney had absolutely nothing to do with a highlight video released to promo the team. He's just the coach. If the AD and school decides it's a good thing to promote the school's program, the coach isn't going to have any say. Unless of course his name is K. Mooney's lucky to still have a job. We all here know this even though many won't say it. Just sayin the same thing I'd be sayin in other places if roles were reversed. Dude needs to go.

There are two factors that COULD have influenced the timing of the announcement to dismiss Buck from the team. I have no insider knowledge about the validity of either one, but am only speculating here.

First, I believe the timing happened just after we got a couple of important commitments, including the recruit from Wagner (that one was important!). If I had a pending commitment in the works, I might opt to delay the announcement about a departing starter, so who knows if that may have factored in?

Second, I was not paying attention to the timing of grades being posted and am pretty sure the announcement happened before grades were due. If the dismissal were grade-related (probably unlikely) then it would have coincided with the end of the term.

I suspect that factor #1 above (pending recruit commitments) is the most likely factor that may have influenced the timing of the announcement, but truly do not know or care. What matters most is that it happened, not when.

Reactions: SpiderDaMan
First, I believe the timing happened just after we got a couple of important commitments, including the recruit from Wagner (that one was important!). If I had a pending commitment in the works, I might opt to delay the announcement about a departing starter, so who knows if that may have factored in?

Man, I hope not. "Did Francis sign? He did? Wet ink? Sweet. We can dismiss Buck now." is a bad look.

I don't think that's the correct chronology anyway - and like you said, it's happened. Time to move on.

Since the thread will not die - let's change the focus to future Buck threads. I suggest - Buck leads Cal State Bakersfield RoadRunners to the Sweet Sixteen.

Some admission of culpability in there for those who were advancing the conspiracy theories. Sounds like he learned a bit of a lesson. Hope things work out for him.

That article did a good tango: lot of stuff, humbled, chip on my
shoulder, still love staff and fans. Well the only thing said about
players was wanting to be on team where players gave it their all.

Don't think it is too important why Buck left the team at this stage,
but going as far away as he did, tells me he wanted to go where he
he could start fresh without any baggage or history.

Reactions: Ulla1
it tells me that CSBU is where he got another opportunity, and he liked what he heard there.
he'll do great. and they'll love him.
but this still isn't on CM or Hardt or UR no matter how many times 23 says it is.

Reactions: Ulla1
De’Monte Buckingham wanted a team that would compete for NCAA Tournament appearances. He was looking for a program where the players work hard and compete every minute of each game.

That wasn't here. You could see this on Buck's face and body language throughout the year last year, particularly in our multiple blowout losses.

De’Monte Buckingham wanted a team that would compete for NCAA Tournament appearances. He was looking for a program where the players work hard and compete every minute of each game.

That wasn't here. You could see this on Buck's face and body language throughout the year last year, particularly in our multiple blowout losses.
Get real. You ever talk with Buck? I did. You are way off, guided only by your hatred of UR basketball and our coaches.

it tells me that CSBU is where he got another opportunity, and he liked what he heard there.
he'll do great. and they'll love him.
but this still isn't on CM or Hardt or UR no matter how many times 23 says it is.

His brother had connections to the UCB, and anyone that thinks Benjy didn't call Chris and staff for a report on Buck has their head in the sand.

Reactions: spiders13

holy crap, he didn't leave UR to find a team that "would compete for NCAA Tournament appearances in a program where the players work hard and compete every minute of each game".

he looked for that after he was dismissed. he wasn't leaving UR if he wasn't getting dismissed. he started looking BECAUSE he was likely getting dismissed. not sure why you don't see this.

if you think that he thinks a 12-18 team that is 3,000 miles away from home that plays in a bad conference "is his best chance to be in NCAA Tournament" you are smoking something. Why not go to ETSU? Radford? Listen carefully to what his trainer said...

“It was tough on him. It really hurt him,” said basketball trainer Anthony “Scoop” Ervin, who has known Buckingham for about four years and sees him as a younger brother. “He understands. He still has love for the staff (at Richmond). He still loves the school. But as a young man, it took a toll on him, but it actually helped him understand that you can’t take things for granted. … He was hurting as any kid would be, but it opened his eyes enough to humble him, but make him even hungrier.”

Scoop Ervin is not a "truther". We all now what the "it" is. This was on him. Plain and simple.

And no, I don't think we will be a better team without him. but this was 1000% on Buck. If it isn't, why don't he, his parents, his trainer, his high school coach bury Richmond in the papers? He has his landing spot now

Easy on the attacks brother spider
didn't mean as an attack. apologies if taken that way. thought you were one of the conspiracy theory posters saying we wrongfully dismissed Buck so it wouldn't look bad when he transferred.

didn't mean as an attack. apologies if taken that way. thought you were one of the conspiracy theory posters saying we wrongfully dismissed Buck so it wouldn't look bad when he transferred.
OK, so the pro crowd is saying that Mooney and Buck were aware of the impending dismissal, yet they released his highlight video anyway. Still does not make sense on many levels.

I know you don't like it, but no way would Buck keep quiet and talk well of UR if he was wrongfully (even if only in his mind) released. nobody would. and mental gymnastics to come up reasons why he would are unrealistic.

I know you don't like it, but no way would Buck keep quiet and talk well of UR if he was wrongfully (even if only in his mind) released. nobody would. and mental gymnastics to come up reasons why he would are unrealistic.
He would remain quiet - as of now there is nothing public about the dismissal. It would behoove him to keep that out of the public light.

if you think that he thinks a 12-18 team that is 3,000 miles away from home that plays in a bad conference "is his best chance to be in NCAA Tournament" you are smoking something. Why not go to ETSU? Radford? Listen carefully to what his trainer said...

“It was tough on him. It really hurt him,” said basketball trainer Anthony “Scoop” Ervin, who has known Buckingham for about four years and sees him as a younger brother. “He understands. He still has love for the staff (at Richmond). He still loves the school. But as a young man, it took a toll on him, but it actually helped him understand that you can’t take things for granted. … He was hurting as any kid would be, but it opened his eyes enough to humble him, but make him even hungrier.”

Scoop Ervin is not a "truther". We all now what the "it" is. This was on him. Plain and simple.

And no, I don't think we will be a better team without him. but this was 1000% on Buck. If it isn't, why don't he, his parents, his trainer, his high school coach bury Richmond in the papers? He has his landing spot now

Hey, that is what Buck said, per the article. Don't blame the messenger.

Yes, he got kicked off the team. Many of us know what it was for..

What I was saying is that anyone could tell that Buck was really frustrated last year with the losing. The kid hates to lose and perhaps, just perhaps, that took its toll on other areas of this young man's life. And being a young 19 year old kid, he made some bad choices that led to this.

So, perhaps, if Mooney wouldn't have the team so woefully unprepared to play last year, maybe Buck doesn't end up this situation. Still all on Buck, I agree, he did the "crime" so he now is serving the sentence for his transgressions.

Losing takes a heavy toll. That is probably why 5 players from last years team, decided they needed to go elsewhere. Most of them went on their accord, Buck's behavior forced him to leave as well.

similar to saying if Mooney played Solly more and got him more shots, he'd have never quit on his teammates mid season. but nobody here would say something like that. :oops:

OK, so the pro crowd is saying that Mooney and Buck were aware of the impending dismissal, yet they released his highlight video anyway. Still does not make sense on many levels.
It does if the SID staff was doing that and didn't know what was coming. It's not at all uncommon for marcom folks to be kept in the dark, particularly about a sensitive topic like an impending dismissal.

I think you're reading way too much into conspiracies where they don't seem to exist.

Reactions: Spider2020
Sounds like the marketing dept was out of the loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT