ADVERTISEMENT

Buckingham dismissed from UR Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
A square is a rectangle but a rectangle isn't a square, and
An athletic department violation is a team rule violation but a team rule violation isn't an athletic rule violation.
I tend to believe when DM sat his one game suspension for violation of a team rule, it may have been a violation of an athletic department rule (what that was we can speculate) and by saying it was a violation of a team rule was simply CMs way of saving Buck some embarrassment.
No conspiracy - simple explanation.
I agree.

Tough to keep someone who wanted to leave. You don't think we could have worked with Buck on whatever his transgressions were behind the scenes. Maybe suspended him from the team for a while or maybe the first semester.

But we went with the nuclear option because we knew Buck had one foot out the door.

Although, I don't have any clue what happened, Shockingly, I disagree with both of your points. I am more of a let the facts come out before jumping to conclusions person. I know that makes a dinosaur, but so be it.

Ask David Broaddus and Josh Jones if the school "worked with them'. They went nuclear.

If Buck really had one foot out the door ( and all we have is a now deleted twitter account and a talk show radio's sources who say that), why would he and as family have not gone public with their anger by now? It makes no sense to stay quiet.

He has a better chance of a second chance if he stays quite. The truth is out there to be found.
All I know is he hurt his team and his teammates.

Name one top program where a dumpster fire like ours has happened, and as an outsider, you didnt immediately point the finger at the coach? Excuses excuses ... its Mooney's damn team for 13 years and this is where he has brought it. So its no ones fault? Just unlucky circumstances? Come on.
Louisville? Lap dances for everyone!!

I liked both of their games. They both were high caliber A-10 players. Losing either is a major hit because we have so few high caliber A-10 players.
Can you somewhat define "high caliber"?
I mentioned on a few much earlier posts that Buck was never going to make a 1st or 2nd team all A10. Fan2011 disagreed but I still believe DB would have perhaps been our best-ever glue guy and maybe our team MVP but I never thought he'd have had the stats to justify these types of A10 awards. Nick Sherrod I agree with you on that, and I don't necessarily disagree with you about Buck, but what makes him a high caliber A10 player in your book?

I mean, he was the conference rookie of the year. That fits with "high-caliber," doesn't it?

Reactions: ur2K
Well Buck was the A-10 Rookie of the Year and I believe he made preseason 3rd team last year of the A-10 (I think he was the only sophomore on the all A-10 preseason team). So, that is high caliber to me I guess I would define "high caliber" as a player who would start and make meaningful contributions on most A-10 teams.

I do think we got a little too excited about Buck's ceiling after he won ROY of the year and agree with Fan that DB might be the best ever glue guy we had. Buck did everything well, defense, rebound, score, particularly picking up garbage shots. I don't think Buck was every going to be a player that is your star player though. He was more of a "Robin" type role, but as Robin he might be our best Robin ever. Butler and Smitty were great glue guys for us, but no doubt Buck is a far superior player to them.

Well Buck was the A-10 Rookie of the Year and I believe he made preseason 3rd team last year of the A-10 (I think he was the only sophomore on the all A-10 preseason team). So, that is high caliber to me I guess I would define "high caliber" as a player who would start and make meaningful contributions on most A-10 teams.

I do think we got a little too excited about Buck's ceiling after he won ROY of the year and agree with Fan that DB might be the best ever glue guy we had. Buck did everything well, defense, rebound, score, particularly picking up garbage shots. I don't think Buck was every going to be a player that is your star player though. He was more of a "Robin" type role, but as Robin he might be our best Robin ever. Butler and Smitty were great glue guys for us, but no doubt Buck is a far superior player to them.
It is MY contention that he could have been the best ever glue guy as well.

This poster has an irrational hatred of Buck's game. Buck was one of the best players in the A10 and very likely would have made the all A10 teams as a junior and senior.
Nope. Again we disagree greatly on this Fan. His meaningful stats (I. E. The ones that GET you on those teams!) would be 3rd or 4th ON HIS OWN TEAM!...behind NS, GG and maybe Gilyard so there was no way he was making 1st or 2nd team all A10!

Nope. Again we disagree greatly on this Fan. His meaningful stats (I. E. The ones that GET you on those teams!) would be 3rd or 4th ON HIS OWN TEAM!...behind NS, GG and maybe Gilyard so there was no way he was making 1st or 2nd team all A10!
Which, in my opinion is why he may have wanted out. He saw the writing on the wall and wanted to be "The Man" and not just a terrific jack of all trades...

There are two primary drivers to making the all A10 first team...PPG and how your team fares in the conference standings.

I don't think Buck is an elite scorer and could end up being the #2/3/4 scorer on a Richmond team behind Grant/Nick/Jacob.

He could end up on the All A10 team due to his other contributions though, which are significant (rebounding being the most significant).

Of course none of this matters, he won't be playing in the A10 again I expect.

There are two primary drivers to making the all A10 first team...PPG and how your team fares in the conference standings.

I don't think Buck is an elite scorer and could end up being the #2/3/4 scorer on a Richmond team behind Grant/Nick/Jacob.

He could end up on the All A10 team due to his other contributions though, which are significant (rebounding being the most significant).

Of course none of this matters, he won't be playing in the A10 again I expect.
Correct, Buck is not an elite scorer. I think this is what local was referencing when he said Buck was not high caliber.

Looking at our high caliber players, including Buck:
Buck: Good scorer, very good rebounder, above average defender
Nick: Elite scorer, good rebounder, below average defender (slow foot speed)
Grant: Elite scorer, good rebounder, below average defender (could improve but right now he has to pay the TJ defense because Moon man can only secure one competent big man)
Jacob: Elite distributor, good scorer, above average defender, but he is 5'9 so that presents a host of match-up problems.

I think Buck was our most well rounded player on the team. A player with really no true weakness to his game but also no part of his game that is truly elite. Also in regards to Buck was his versatility as evidenced by his ability to play anything from 1 to 4 and his 110% effort he gave.

To me, when Buck left, we lost the heart of the team. His loss will be very noticeable many times next year.

The best part of Bucks game was that he did everything- scored, passed, rebounded, played D. We’re supposed to have versatile players at Richmond, he was exactly that. If you think we don’t lose something by him it being on the team, you may be crazy.

It's an ideal start but that could have been his absolute limit. He was better as a freshman (to me) than he was as a sophomore.
To me It makes him an A10 caliber player but not necessarily HIGH caliber.

This seems accurate. He had a better FG%, better 3 pt%, nearly twice as many steals, over twice as many blocks, and had fewer turnovers a game as a freshman. He was a good overall player, but is certainly replaceable.

This seems accurate. He had a better FG%, better 3 pt%, nearly twice as many steals, over twice as many blocks, and had fewer turnovers a game as a freshman. He was a good overall player, but is certainly replaceable.

It's easy to pick select stats to make your point.

This year Buck got to the free throw line more and increased his free throw percentage by 3 points. He averaged 1.5 more rebounds and 0.9 more assists per game than last year. He increased his scoring by 1.7 points per game despite being a main focus of opposing defenses. He was our best or second best defender, took charges regularly and was an emotional leader.

To describe him as replaceable is really underselling what he meant to the team. Was he going to be next to Newman and KA on our Mt. Rushmore? Probably not. But Buck was definitely on his way to being one of our all time greats.

Consider this: If he had stayed and simply maintained his production from years 1 and 2 (no improvement in junior and senior season) he would have ended up with +/- 1500 points, 800 rebounds and 360 assists. That would put him top 15 in scoring, top 10 in assists and top 5 in rebounding. He was not some average player that you can replace easily.

All that said, I'm really not sure why this discussion is continuing other than people want to kick him on the way out. I loved watching him play, he will be sorely missed, and also -- he is gone so let's move on.

Correct, Buck is not an elite scorer. I think this is what local was referencing when he said Buck was not high caliber.

Looking at our high caliber players, including Buck:
Buck: Good scorer, very good rebounder, above average defender
Nick: Elite scorer, good rebounder, below average defender (slow foot speed)
Grant: Elite scorer, good rebounder, below average defender (could improve but right now he has to pay the TJ defense because Moon man can only secure one competent big man)
Jacob: Elite distributor, good scorer, above average defender, but he is 5'9 so that presents a host of match-up problems.

I think Buck was our most well rounded player on the team. A player with really no true weakness to his game but also no part of his game that is truly elite. Also in regards to Buck was his versatility as evidenced by his ability to play anything from 1 to 4 and his 110% effort he gave.

To me, when Buck left, we lost the heart of the team. His loss will be very noticeable many times next year.
I don't believe I ever said Buck was not high caliber... And Im too lazy to go back and read my posts!
Points rebounds assts... DB wasn't going to lead our team in any of those categories.. That was my point.

I don't believe I ever said Buck was not high caliber... And Im too lazy to go back and read my posts!
Points rebounds assts... DB wasn't going to lead our team in any of those categories.. That was my point.
Checking post 452, you indicated him winning a10 ROY was not high caliber. So I don’t know that’s what you meant, but your prior posts minimally questioned him being high caliber.

Again, he’s gone. I think I’ll stop perpetuating this thread.

Checking post 452, you indicated him winning a10 ROY was not high caliber. So I don’t know that’s what you meant, but your prior posts minimally questioned him being high caliber.

Again, he’s gone. I think I’ll stop perpetuating this thread.
Winning ROY doesn't automatically make you a high caliber player or he'd have also been on the 1st 2nd or 3rd team all A10.
I think we had a freshman this year WASN'T ROY but I think is a high caliber A10 player.

Winning ROY doesn't automatically make you a high caliber player or he'd have also been on the 1st 2nd or 3rd team all A10.
I think we had a freshman this year WASN'T ROY but I think is a high caliber A10 player.
Ok, I’ll bite. Confirm you feel he’s not high caliber. That should settle what your opinion is at least.

Ok, I’ll bite. Confirm you feel he’s not high caliber. That should settle what your opinion is at least.
I said that winning ROY doesn't automatically make you a high caliber player in the A10... Especially if your rookie year turns out to be your best year. I also said that imo he wasn't going to lead our team in points rebs or assts which is what gets you all A10 awards.
I started this line of debate by asking 97 his definition of high caliber...thats it. A player like Buck, Martel, Butler, Robbins those are my personal favorites at UR - guys that can do everything well, do the dirty work, and get little if any awards. Imo, Buck was the best of them. Do I think he was a high caliber A10 player? I'm torn on it because he's a favorite player of mine, but I will say no he wasn't. He wasn't going to get noticeable better given the potential talent around him. As I've said many times, he could have been the teams MVP, but what he brought to the court wasn't going to be appreciated by an all conference award. I hope I answered your question.
97, and others who disagree... Why do you think he was and do you think he'd have been 1st or 2nd team all A10 when we have NS, GG and maybe Gilyard getting all the glory stats?

I said that winning ROY doesn't automatically make you a high caliber player in the A10... Especially if your rookie year turns out to be your best year. I also said that imo he wasn't going to lead our team in points rebs or assts which is what gets you all A10 awards.
I started this line of debate by asking 97 his definition of high caliber...thats it. A player like Buck, Martel, Butler, Robbins those are my personal favorites at UR - guys that can do everything well, do the dirty work, and get little if any awards. Imo, Buck was the best of them. Do I think he was a high caliber A10 player? I'm torn on it because he's a favorite player of mine, but I will say no he wasn't. He wasn't going to get noticeable better given the potential talent around him. As I've said many times, he could have been the teams MVP, but what he brought to the court wasn't going to be appreciated by an all conference award. I hope I answered your question.
97, and others who disagree... Why do you think he was and do you think he'd have been 1st or 2nd team all A10 when we have NS, GG and maybe Gilyard getting all the glory stats?
It answered my question.

I do think this notion that somehow we are better without Buck is hogwash. Not that you proposed as much, but others have.

Ok, I’ll stop perpetuating now...

Saw a post from his mother on Facebook. Is apparently visiting California State-Bakersfield.. They did worse than we did this past season, only winning 5 conference games in a conference not even comparable to A10. What does that say about the year Buck had for us?

Cal State Bakersfield mascot is a Roadrunner though. That's about the only recruiting tactic they have going for them. Meep meep.

I thought they did well in 2015-2016 & 2016-2017...

Had a great record last year, finished first in regular season conference...and still only made the NIT.
Yes, I remember. We were there too.

Off topic, OMG I just found a KenPom error. He shows they lost in the NCAA final four that year...

Last edited:
That’s my point.. To leave and go to a school doing about the same and sometimes worse I wouldn’t think would be the dream so to speak. Guess that can be chucked up to being dismissed

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT