ADVERTISEMENT

Buckingham dismissed from UR Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
We recruited De'monte, hailed him as a savior, supported him as both a student and an athlete ... and have now passed guilt for our failures onto him. All in about 30 months while he went from 17 to 19 years old.

This is how Richmond athletics, our former athletics director (whose reputation has now been severely tarnished for that interview, imo), a diminishing group of supporters, and the Mooney administration operates. Plain and simple.

Will the grown ups in our athletic department please stand up and show themselves?

Last edited:
The issue might be why he was dismissed. If what I heard was true, many schools would not be interested.

Does it make you feel better when you lay down at night to cast aspersions on a 19 or 20 year old young man?

You know there are some grown men in our building responsible for recruiting and molding these young men. They make a decent wage to do it. "they're men and they're 40" like mr gundy once said. Suspect you are too.

We recruited De'monte, hailed him as a savior, supported him as both a student and an athlete ... and have now passed guilt for our failures onto him. All in about 30 months while he went from 17 to 19 years old.

This is how Richmond athletics, our former athletics director (whose reputation has now been severely tarnished for that interview, imo), a diminishing group of supporters, and the Mooney administration operates. Plain and simple.

Will the grown ups in our athletic department please stand up and show themselves?

I wish I would have known it worked like this when I was at Richmond. Break the rules and don't take any of the blame. That's a great deal.

I wish I would have known it worked like this when I was at Richmond. Break the rules and don't take any of the blame. That's a great deal.

Not sure which years you were at Richmond but from what I think I remember, Derrick Williams was blamed for selling drugs, Trey Davis was blamed for not being able to shoot, Greg Robbins wasnt athletic enough, Terry Allen was blamed for not having enough fire in his belly, Alonzo Nelson Ododa was blamed for not being loyal, Luke Piotrowski was blamed for not being skilled enough (just like Chandler Diekvoss, Tim Singleton, Kobien Dominaus, Jesse Pistokache and others) and on and on...Buck couldn't control his vices..Khwan was homesick (and not tall enough)... and yada yada yada.

The players have absorbed alot of blame. They have come from all over the country and a number of them haven't even earned a degree in the process.

There is a single common denominator here.

It's good being back!

Since to date we do not know the reason Buck was dismissed (perhaps some who post know that information) until or unless he decides to tell it we will not know because of privacy issues. Think we all wish him well going forward. There is the element of learning from your mistakes and taking responsibility for what occurred. That is part of wishing him well for the future. The school and Athletic Department have necessary rules and enforcing those rules is part of the dynamic. Some of this conversation appears to be about who is at fault for the rule breaking.......

Are you blaming bucks dismissal on the administration?

Since to date we do not know the reason Buck was dismissed (perhaps some who post know that information) until or unless he decides to tell it we will not know because of privacy issues. Think we all wish him well going forward. There is the element of learning from your mistakes and taking responsibility for what occurred. That is part of wishing him well for the future. The school and Athletic Department have necessary rules and enforcing those rules is part of the dynamic. Some of this conversation appears to be about who is at fault for the rule breaking.......
It still pi $$es me off the bs that Miller floated. That guy has just cemented himself as the biggest creep to ever be our AD. About 3 miles below Gill. At least Gill had some class and did not perform Mooney directed character assassination. Or have a dobo creeping around. Unbelievable as some posters would say.

Are you blaming bucks dismissal on the administration?

I am not. I am just saying that is just another chapter in the long novel of excuses that we've written.

And Jim Miller saying what he did on the radio was a complete chicken crap move.

I am not. I am just saying that is just another chapter in the long novel of excuses that we've written.

And Jim Miller saying what he did on the radio was a complete chicken crap move.
Had he made the assertion that a violation was based on a Title IX violation would that have been more or less acceptable?

Unless I’m mistaken, no one has definitively stated why he was dismissed. It’s still speculation that it was substance abuse related, correct?

I am aware of at least one issue with DMB that was not drug use related. I don’t know that it was the reason he was dismissed.

It seems presumptive that A) this was the reason he was dismissed and B) that there was a planned character assassination.

Perhaps you’re aware of the unambiguous reason he was dismissed though. If so, then I better understand your point.

Can we please remove this thread? It only brings up rumors about what Buck did to be dismissed from the team. Buck was fearless about pushing the ball and creating offense. Always willing to stop dribble and take a charge. Let's move on and actually try to improve from 12 wins. Right now, it feels like a cloud of smoke is over this program.

Reactions: bullfrog91
Tbone, Miller should not have floated any story. He made up that story on ESPN radio and people ran with it. RECKLESS! He should not have floated any theory.
I haven’t listened to it, but my understanding is that he was asked for an example of a violation of athletic department policy. Did he actually “float” this as the story? If so, then I concur he shouldn’t have. If he provided an example, then that’s what he did, provided an example.

Again, I didn’t hear his interview.

That guy has just cemented himself as the biggest creep to ever be our AD.

Combine this with the 10 year CM deal, and Gill starts to look better with time. Hardt has his work cut out for him.

Miller should have kept his mouth shut.

The fact that you guys are suggesting that Gill was somehow a more desirable AD than Miller is indicative of how far divorced from reality things have gotten

No one suggesting that Gill was better/more desirable. Saying that Miller didn't exactly cover himself with glory in his radio interview. He took himself down a few notches towards Gill territory.

The issue might be why he was dismissed. If what I heard was true, many schools would not be interested.

You are not the first to imply that you know the reason for dismissal. Why the secrecy? If you know then tell us so we can end all the speculation and put this whole thing to rest.

I'm tired of all the speculation, and I'm tired of people bashing other posters for speculating. Put it out there and end this crap

I haven’t listened to it, but my understanding is that he was asked for an example of a violation of athletic department policy. Did he actually “float” this as the story? If so, then I concur he shouldn’t have. If he provided an example, then that’s what he did, provided an example.

Again, I didn’t hear his interview.

I did. I especially liked when Andrew asked him how much accountability the coach should have, and his answer was "very little."

You are not the first to imply that you know the reason for dismissal. Why the secrecy? If you know then tell us so we can end all the speculation and put this whole thing to rest.

I'm tired of all the speculation, and I'm tired of people bashing other posters for speculating. Put it out there and end this crap

I suspect Buck nor the University have made public statement because such a statement may cause Buck more harm than good. Personally (assuming that is accurate) I would prefer not to throw him under the bus on the way out the door.

Not sure which years you were at Richmond but from what I think I remember, Derrick Williams was blamed for selling drugs, Trey Davis was blamed for not being able to shoot, Greg Robbins wasnt athletic enough, Terry Allen was blamed for not having enough fire in his belly, Alonzo Nelson Ododa was blamed for not being loyal, Luke Piotrowski was blamed for not being skilled enough (just like Chandler Diekvoss, Tim Singleton, Kobien Dominaus, Jesse Pistokache and others) and on and on...Buck couldn't control his vices..Khwan was homesick (and not tall enough)... and yada yada yada.

The players have absorbed alot of blame. They have come from all over the country and a number of them haven't even earned a degree in the process.

There is a single common denominator here.

It's good being back!
Mo, you definitely got some preaching blood in you. I would be lying to say I never showed some
form of criticism towards a player on this board, but my chief finger pointing has been towards our coaching
staff for recruiting and putting players in a position to fail vs succeed. It is not a players fault if they are DII level talent, being asked to contribute in a DI league.

hmm, something happened to this tweet - it said Buck was visiting ETSU.

His girlfriend tweeted saying she knew who her vote will be for SoCon POY in the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 seasons. Since she is going there, I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up there if they want him.

His girlfriend tweeted saying she knew who her vote will be for SoCon POY in the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 seasons. Since she is going there, I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up there if they want him.
I'm betting on High Point. :cool:

Forbes is one of the best if not the best head coaches in mid-major basketball. Has done more at many different levels. Take the girlfriend out of the equation, I think from merely a basketball perspective it would make more sense for Buckingham to end up there as opposed to Bakersfield

Reactions: 97spiderfan
Tbone, Miller should not have floated any story. He made up that story on ESPN radio and people ran with it. RECKLESS! He should not have floated any theory.
I listened to it and Black asked about difference between a team violation and Athletic Dept violation, and Miller gave an example that just
happened to be failed drug policy.

Hit Job. His voice got very squirrely when he was trying to pretend that Buck had not asked for release, and was happy about the direction of the program. He would not be a good poker player.

Heck, Moon's agents worked him pretty darn easily.

Hit Job. His voice got very squirrely when he was trying to pretend that Buck had not asked for release, and was happy about the direction of the program. He would not be a good poker player.

Heck, Moon's agents worked him pretty darn easily.
:rolleyes: everything's a conspiracy.
seems much more like Buck screwed up ... multiple times. and it's a shame. he was one of every Spider fans favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT