ADVERTISEMENT

At Dayton

I actually liked the lineup as far as our best athletes on floor together there at the end. I would only change Mike out and have in TB. 🤷🏼‍♂️ I mean what could go wrong 🫣 Shhhh🤫 Don’t tell VT

Loyola may be our only win this rest of this season.
And why are you so positive about winning that one?

One more thought... We all see that the few times Noyes comes in, he plays well. Mooney was high on him in the preseason. I was gonna ask why he doesn't get more playing time, but then I realized it's just Mooney being Moonwey.

Oops, put the scotch down Rick! Its only 12:30 pm here!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SpiderDad75
I actually liked the lineup as far as our best athletes on floor together there at the end. I would only change Mike out and have in TB. 🤷🏼‍♂️ I mean what could go wrong 🫣 Shhhh🤫 Don’t tell VT

Burton bigs & Goose r our best athletes & it’s not very close. That’s another reason I’d like to see them w Roche (shooter) & 1 of grace/Quinn likely Grace for court spacing & 3 ball threat. But ok going small & using Randolph (shooter) instead. Or maybe even Dji if need another ball handler. It can be hard to eval garbage time bc the game is so relaxed but thought that was best I saw Dji. Think gets him more mins & certainly not the 0 fer again like other night.

Reactions: urfan1
Burton bigs & Goose r our best athletes & it’s not very close. That’s another reason I’d like to see them w Roche (shooter) & 1 of grace/Quinn likely Grace for court spacing & 3 ball threat. But ok going small & using Randolph (shooter) instead. Or maybe even Dji if need another ball handler. It can be hard to eval garbage time bc the game is so relaxed but thought that was best I saw Dji. Think gets him more mins & certainly not the 0 fer again like other night.
We will agree to disagree about the best athletes.

If Mooney takes anything out of this game it's look to the future on how he dishes out minutes.. Thank you very much for what a couple seniors accomplished last year but your time will be lessen from here on out.
I agree that the two year 5 guys are not effective and should get less playing time to prepare for next year and to see if a change can spark an end of conference season run. The fact is they don’t have the motivation like last year’s group and aren’t the same caliber of player either. It looks like they are just going through the motions. He can even “honor” them by letting them start, just pull them at the 16 minute mark.

Of course, this will never happen because CM doesn’t make these type of changes.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Have to get waste of space Grace out of the starting line up.
Interesting that you can harshly criticize one of our players for 5 years now, and all is good, but if I say the slightest negative thing about a player, all heck breaks loose. Amazing.

Announcer “Dayton at season average already with 6 three pointers”. That lasted one possession, now 7.

It is amazing how every team seems to set a 3 pt high against the Spiders.

(Couldn’t get this to post for whatever reason, but now see we all had the same reaction)
Do they, though? Every team? Our opponents were 7.7-23.9 (32.1%) from 3 coming into the game today, and before UMASS, they were at 31.3%. Our last 2 games, teams have been hot from 3 against us, but our 1st 7 IC games, teams were 50-165 (30.3%) from 3 against us. So, sure, the last 2 games have been bad from a defensive 3 standpoint, but we had been pretty good the first 20 games. But, no question we need to do better there than what happened the last 2 games...a lot better.

W&M averages 6.9 threes per game, made 9 against us.
Temple averages 7.5, made 10.
Clemson averages 7.9, made 12.
Bucknell averages 6.3, made 11.
Rhode Island averages 5.4, made 8.
Duquesne averages 8.8, made 11.
Davidson averages 6, made 7.
Bona averages 7, made 8.
Toledo averages 8.5, made 9 .
VCU averages 6.6, made 8.
UMass averages 6.5, made 11.
Dayton averages 6, made 14.

Just in those games, that's 35 threes over their collective averages. We went 5-7 in these games.

Bona averages 7, made 8.

Just in those games, that's 35 threes over their collective averages. We went 5-7 in these games.
Those don't count EL, someone will find some stat to discount them. Our defense has reverted to not caring this week. Poor effort.

Those don't count EL, someone will find some stat to discount them. Our defense has reverted to not caring this week. Poor effort.
It's not that those don't count. But, I don't see what this tells. Okay, 12 games teams made more 3s than they average. So, I guess 10 games, they didn't right? So, are we supposed to always hold teams either at or below what they make from 3? And, we lost 7 of them, but won 5 of them. So, does he have an issue with the 5 we won?

Now, do every other team, EL. Because every other team out there will have multiple games where they allowed more 3s than what the team averages. And, I would think most would be at .500 or below against these teams since you are only looking at the high end made 3 games against teams. And, doesn't percentage mean anything? I gave you percentages, which seems like a better way to look at 3 point defense. And, what about total point scored? W&M scored 58 points. Temple 49. So, EL had a problem with our defense against Temple? Seriously? Rhode Island scored 57....who cares if they made 8 3s?

He included Davidson? LOL. Wow. Great list, EL. Davidson went 7-27 from 3 (25.9%) against us, shot 35.7% overall, scored 57 points, we beat them, and EL wants to complain because they made 7 3s, 1 more than they average? Wow, just wow. And, EL included 8 IC games to make his point, but I showed where our first 7 IC games, teams were 50-165 (30.3%) against us, so who cares if 50 made 3s is above their combined average if we hold them to 30% shooting from there? And, yes, I agree our defense was bad the last 2 games.

Losing at Dayton is hardly a surprise. I believe the last time we won there was 2011. There are plenty of very good teams that lose there. The problem was how we lost--other than the first few minutes, for most of the game it didn't even look like we were trying, or cared.

And, what happened to our defense???

Bona averages 7, made 8.

I wonder how many of those teams did what @urfan1 describes below.

As all readers know except for one, my statement was a perception and not a fact. However, it sure seems to be a trend and I would bet it was on the scouting report for especially these latest examples. Thanks for doing a box score scan @EightLegger to show there is some truth to the feeling.

There is also a fact that UR’s conference opponents have taken 529 three point field goal attempts to date, the most in the league. Apparently all teams are attempting the strategy, but not all of them are effective. UR’s allowed 3 pt % is 9th in the league. Stellar.

I noticed what Dayton was doing to us mid first half, never saw an adjustment and when it worked they opened it up and put us away. VCU did essentially same thing -- put a 3 pt shooter in his sweet 3 pt spot work ball other side lane, we shift our D they either skip pass or two angles to the open shooter and we are playing flying Dutchman

Reactions: Eight Legger
I still think it’s conditioning. Other teams step up the intensity we fold. three away games we’re exhausted. Years ago I recall Mooney saying we play to get in shape, then, I can’t recall his name, the center who left to go to Pitt, I belueve, saying he’d never worked so hard……. After 3 years at Richmond. Admittedly this is all a weak recollection…..but year after tear soft teams can’t be a coincidence

Reactions: whampas
There is also a fact that UR’s conference opponents have taken 529 three point field goal attempts to date, the most in the league. Apparently all teams are attempting the strategy, but not all of them are effective. UR’s allowed 3 pt % is 9th in the league. Stellar.
This is the takeaway, to me. Our strategy is to prevent interior scoring and basically to allow teams to shoot the three -- often with particularly great looks because we are so focused on preventing interior scoring.

But this is a three-point game now. You can't just giver players stand-still threes and hope they miss most of them. It won't happen very often. When it does, we probably win. When it doesn't, games like UMass and Dayton happen.

I still think it’s conditioning. Other teams step up the intensity we fold. three away games we’re exhausted. Years ago I recall Mooney saying we play to get in shape, then, I can’t recall his name, the center who left to go to Pitt, I belueve, saying he’d never worked so hard……. After 3 years at Richmond. Admittedly this is all a weak recollection…..but year after tear soft teams can’t be a coincidence
Adoda

This is the takeaway, to me. Our strategy is to prevent interior scoring and basically to allow teams to shoot the three -- often with particularly great looks because we are so focused on preventing interior scoring.

But this is a three-point game now. You can't just giver players stand-still threes and hope they miss most of them. It won't happen very often. When it does, we probably win. When it doesn't, games like UMass and Dayton happen.
If you listen to Mooney's post game, that's exactly what he said. He's a dinosaur living in his old coaches shoes.

Do you guys realize we were called for only 5 fouls in an away game with 10 full minutes of scrub time? Even our scrubs didn’t get any fouls. Only Quinn and Bigelow had any personal fouls. That is the epitome of not playing defense at all.

Threes are free. I don’t know how many times this season and especially yesterday we didn’t have a defender within 10 feet of shooter. This is our defense; not exception.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Easy to make 3's when you are wide open as Dayton was most of the game. We continue to hedge our offside defender into the interior, which makes us vulnerable to the cross court pass and wide open 3. They hit one of those on Goose today, I think another on Tyler. I don't even understand why we hedge so far in like that, it is inviting the other team to get a wide open 3, which they seem to always see, take, and make..

It is like the old play where he hedged Grant out on the perimeter and it worked a couple times and then we start doing it all of the time and teams with good coaches know this, make an adjustment, and exploit the **** out of it.

Crazy, but par for the course with Mr. Softie at the helm of the ship. Toughness and assertiveness, much less physicality, will never be part of his gameplan.
LOL. We had 20 fouls against UMASS. These "always" and "never" posts are so funny on here. So, now we are supposed to foul a lot, get in foul trouble and put teams in the bonus early? Man, you guys are so smart. How do you not have D1 coaching jobs?

Do you guys realize we were called for only 5 fouls in an away game with 10 full minutes of scrub time? Even our scrubs didn’t get any fouls. Only Quinn and Bigelow had any personal fouls. That is the epitome of not playing defense at all.
We must have played great D against UMASS. We had 20 fouls.

H ow about we play tough defense all games, and try not to foul. U must be in politics, campaigning how to twist and muddy the waters. If you watched that defense and thought it showed effort or execution you are one fake dude. Not saying you are because I know you agree the effort on d sucked. Guys watching the swing pass go across the court, then wait 2 seconds and sludge over to get their way late. If we were in South Beach, maybe could chalk up to the Miami Flue, but instead must be Mooney's pre game speach.

H ow about we play tough defense all games, and try not to foul. U must be in politics, campaigning how to twist and muddy the waters. If you watched that defense and thought it showed effort or execution you are one fake dude. Not saying you are because I know you agree the effort on d sucked. Guys watching the swing pass go across the court, then wait 2 seconds and sludge over to get their way late. If we were in South Beach, maybe could chalk up to the Miami Flue, but instead must be Mooney's pre game speach.
I agree our defense has not been good the last 2 games. I am not trying to twist anything, just my opinion that fouling doesn't mean you played great defense and not fouling doesn't mean you did not. Like you said, let's play great defense without fouling a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT