ADVERTISEMENT

Official Mooney-lovers’ excuse sheet

Eight Legger

Spider's Club
May 27, 2003
As you all know, there are many, MANY reasons why those of us with high expectations for our basketball program are stupid idiots. If you find yourself wondering why we have lost a game we should have won, please refer to this handy post I have compiled.

We cannot be expected to win:

• road games, because it’s really hard to beat anyone on the road.

• home games, because no one ever goes undefeated at home and other teams tend to be more focused on the road.

• neutral games, because there’s not much crowd energy and we have no inherent advantage.

• games against teams that are better than us, because they are better than us.

• games against teams that are worse than us, because no one goes undefeated and those teams are trying to win too!

• games against OOC opponents, because it’s early in the season and we’re still trying to figure out our identity and playing time schemes.

• with a team full of young players, because it’s a long and complicated process to learn how to play our offense and defense.

• with a team full of veterans, because other teams are younger and hungrier.

• games in which we are trailing most of the way, because it’s very hard to come back and win any game.

• games in which we are leading most of the way, because the other team is going to be super motivated and scrappy down the stretch.

• games against teams with veteran lineups, because they’ve been playing together a long time.

• games against teams with a bunch of newcomers, because we don’t know their tendencies.

• games in which we are outrebounded, because the other team has more chances to score.

• games in which we outbound the other team, because these games do not exist.

• games in which we shoot a high percentage from the free throw line, because it’s hard to also shoot a high percentage from the field.

• games in which we shoot a high percentage from the field, because it’s hard to also shoot a high percentage from the free throw line.

• games against VCU, because they are a much bigger school with a much better history and can admit anyone they want.

• games against George Mason, because they always rebound really well, and what’s rebounding?

• games against St. Bonaventure, because they have many, many recruiting advantages over us, such as their bucolic location, large endowment and student body and long, storied history of high-level success.

• games against Davidson, because they shoot a lot of three-pointers and recruit good players from other countries.

• games against LaSalle, because that’s like French or something.

• games against UMass, because they were ranked No. 1 in the country once.

• games against Dayton, because they are a high-level program with a large fanbase and many recruiting advantages over us.

• games against St. Louis, because they are located in a major market and can get much better players than we can.

• games against Duquesne, because they bring in entirely new rosters every year, making them extremely difficult to scout.

• games against St. Joe’s, because the Hawk never dies.

• games against Fordham, because there must be an excuse for everything.

• games against GW, because it’s a very hard place to play. Even when we play them at home.

• games against Rhode Island, because Miller is a very high-level coach.

• games against Loyola Chicago, because they went to the Final Four fairly recently.

• games in the A10 tournament in which we are worse than a 4-seed, because other teams are fighting for their survival, and it’s very hard to win in March.

• games in the A10 tournament in which we are a top-4 seed, because whoever we play has already played a game and will be hungry to knock us off.

• games in which Mooney is our coach, because the other team always has a decided advantage.

EL - you didn’t even touch the game time issues. Those late morning mid-week games since it disrupts our routine and we can’t practice for that time.

Not to mention we can’t win without our own practice facility since other schools have those. Until we build said practice facility then we can’t win because we don’t practice on our game floor.

Also left off the welding school at St Bonaventure. That really helps them 😂

And somehow you left off Covid since that impacted us worse than others (and has for years).

I mean, you probably only got 55% of them…wait a minute 😂

And either too many or not enough time outs. Without enough, we can’t take them when most other coaches do.

But, we can agree to disagree.

As you all know, there are many, MANY reasons why those of us with high expectations for our basketball program are stupid idiots. If you find yourself wondering why we have lost a game we should have won, please refer to this handy post I have compiled.

• home games, because no one ever goes undefeated at home and other teams tend to be more focused on the road.

• neutral games, because there’s not much crowd energy and we have no inherent advantage.

• games against teams that are worse than us, because no one goes undefeated and those teams are trying to win too!

• games against OOC opponents, because it’s early in the season and we’re still trying to figure out our identity and playing time schemes.

• with a team full of young players, because it’s a long and complicated process to learn how to play our offense and defense.

• games in which we are trailing most of the way, because it’s very hard to come back and win any game.

• games in which we are leading most of the way, because the other team is going to be super motivated and scrappy down the stretch.

• games against teams with veteran lineups, because they’ve been playing together a long time.

• games against teams with a bunch of newcomers, because we don’t know their tendencies.

• games in which we are outrebounded, because the other team has more chances to score.

• games in which we shoot a high percentage from the free throw line, because it’s hard to also shoot a high percentage from the field.

• games in which we shoot a high percentage from the field, because it’s hard to also shoot a high percentage from the free throw line.

• games against VCU, because they are a much bigger school with a much better history and can admit anyone they want.

• games against George Mason, because they always rebound really well, and what’s rebounding?

• games against St. Bonaventure, because they have many, many recruiting advantages over us, such as their bucolic location, large endowment and student body and long, storied history of high-level success.

• games against Davidson, because they shoot a lot of three-pointers and recruit good players from other countries.

• games against Dayton, because they are a high-level program with a large fanbase and many recruiting advantages over us.

• games against St. Louis, because they are located in a major market and can get much better players than we can.

• games against Duquesne, because they bring in entirely new rosters every year, making them extremely difficult to scout.

• games against GW, because it’s a very hard place to play. Even when we play them at home.

• games against Loyola Chicago, because they went to the Final Four fairly recently.

• games in the A10 tournament in which we are worse than a 4-seed, because other teams are fighting for their survival, and it’s very hard to win in March.

• games in the A10 tournament in which we are a top-4 seed, because whoever we play has already played a game and will be hungry to knock us off.

• games in which Mooney is our coach, because the other team always has a decided advantage.
I like the lasalle one…legit lol

This is probably one of the best posts of all time.

Bravo EL!

Awesome post. My favorite Mooney loss excuse is his ole standby, that we just need to shoot better, which applies to situations such as games where get outrebounded, games where we get outhustled, games where we get out schemed, games where our defense blows. Many other situations but if we just "shot better" all would be well. It such a lazy excuse for losing, showing his true lack of depth and insight into the many factors that go into winning and losing games.

Awesome post. My favorite Mooney loss excuse is his ole standby, that we just need to shoot better, which applies to situations such as games where get outrebounded, games where we get outhustled, games where we get out schemed, games where our defense blows. Many other situations but if we just "shot better" all would be well. It such a lazy excuse for losing, showing his true lack of depth and insight into the many factors that go into winning and losing games.
I think his response is on autopilot.

I think his response is on autopilot.
"Well, that a great question Bob." "I was really proud of the way we competed today" "We had a really great practice yesterday" "We think he has a chance to be a really great player for us"

Autopilot for sure. Mooney has given an insightful press conference in at least a decade. You literally could just put the tape of his postgame comments from some random game from 2014 and play it in place of his next post game conference and no one would know.

"Well, that a great question Bob." "I was really proud of the way we competed today" "We had a really great practice yesterday" "We think he has a chance to be a really great player for us"

Autopilot for sure. Mooney has given an insightful press conference in at least a decade. You literally could just put the tape of his postgame comments from some random game from 2014 and play it in place of his next post game conference and no one would know.
someone with the know-how and time on their hands could make a really entertaining video based on this premise haha

The excuses must motivate the team, because we have won a lot of games over the past 3.5 years. It has been a great time to be a Spider fan over that time!

80sfan, how did you feel about losing to St. Bonaventure, a team of 13 brand new players (and no seniors) who had never played together or for Bona until three months ago?
You failed to mention that St. B has the highest home winning percentage over the past 3.5 years in the A10 including 8-1 this year.

To answer your question, I felt the same as most Richmond fans, I hate watching them lose. However, very excited about our basketball program long term and happy to see a sell out crowd at the last home game.

You failed to mention that St. B has the highest home winning percentage over the past 3.5 years in the A10 including 8-1 this year.

To answer your question, I felt the same as most Richmond fans, I hate watching them lose. However, very excited about our basketball program long term and happy to see a sell out crowd at the last home game.
I hate when we lose but not as much as I love when we have a sell out crowd. Nice

I didn’t fail to mention it, i intentionally didn’t mention it because a) what they’ve done prior to this year is meaningless since literally no one on this team was there until a few months ago and b) they have exactly one other decent win at home besides us. The rest are just schedule fillers.

I hate when we lose but not as much as I love when we have a sell out crowd. Nice
My point is that most Spider fans our optimistic on the team and have enjoyed the past 3 seasons. Obviously, that has not been the case with many people on this board, which is unfortunate for them.

My point is that most Spider fans our optimistic on the team and have enjoyed the past 3 seasons. Obviously, that has not been the case with many people on this board, which is unfortunate for them.

Hey, I'm a UR80sfan also...Dick Tarrant was our coach.

The excuses must motivate the team, because we have won a lot of games over the past 3.5 years. It has been a great time to be a Spider fan over that time!
Not true, I love our Spiders, but the last 3.5 years have been terribly disappointing, other than a magical A10 tourney run.

Let's look at the last 3.5 years.

Year/Quad1/Quad2/Quad3 losses/Quad 4 Losses
2020/3-4/3-2/1/0
2021/2-3/4-2/1/3
2022/2-4/6-8/0/1
2023/0-2/0-2/3/1

Total/7-13/13-14/5/5

The NCAA seems to look at Quad 1 & Quad 2 percentage. They also seem to look at Quad 3 & Quad 4 wins only in your total wins.

One has to wonder if you actually talk with other Spider fans at this point. I literally know a ton of Spider fans and known of them I would describe as optimistic on our team because Mooney is the coach and we all know what to expect from him. Which is exactly what he is delivering this year, slightly above .500 ball.

Why is everyone so worried when we are 9-0?

Or have we played some games that I didn’t see in person?

Now who is going to make sure I get to game safely on Friday?

80sfan, how did you feel about losing to St. Bonaventure, a team of 13 brand new players (and no seniors) who had never played together or for Bona until three months ago?
only had 0.04% of their scoring back and there tied us at 4-3. Mean while CM has a POTY candidate in Burton. Thats a definition of a damn good coach.

Looks like we landed on Bingo spaces #3, #5 and #22 tonight.

Positives

1. We competed (last 5 minutes)

2. We don't have to play at Dayton again this year.

3. We are still mathematically in the hunt for a #4 seed (threw you a bone 4700)

5. Bigs and Dji both had nice stat lines for the minutes they played.

6. I think Mooney added 2 more to his unused timeout bonus clause.

7. I'm drunk at the Auckland Hilton and it's only 2pm (only applies to me but I'm thinking about you guys)

As you can tell, I've had lots of time for posting. It's rained 12 inches in the last 3 days and still raining. For all you weather nerds like me, January here is their driest month of the year when they only average about 1 inch for the month. This month has been their wettest month EVER. All time, for ANY month. But we've been here a month and did have a bunch of nice days. I love New Zealand... it should be on everyone's bucket list. Suppose to fly home tomorrow. Wish me luck, the airport's flooded...

Go Spiders!!

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT