ADVERTISEMENT

Official Mooney-lovers’ excuse sheet

Positives

1. We competed (last 5 minutes)

2. We don't have to play at Dayton again this year.

3. We are still mathematically in the hunt for a #4 seed (threw you a bone 4700)

4. We didn't have to read VT4700's bullshit during in-game posting (I don't anyway because I have him on ignore)

5. Bigs and Dji both had nice stat lines for the minutes they played.

6. I think Mooney added 2 more to his unused timeout bonus clause.

7. I'm drunk at the Auckland Hilton and it's only 2pm (only applies to me but I'm thinking about you guys)

As you can tell, I've had lots of time for posting. It's rained 12 inches in the last 3 days and still raining. For all you weather nerds like me, January here is their driest month of the year when they only average about 1 inch for the month. This month has been their wettest month EVER. All time, for ANY month. But we've been here a month and did have a bunch of nice days. I love New Zealand... it should be on everyone's bucket list. Suppose to fly home tomorrow. Wish me luck, the airport's flooded...

Go Spiders!!
Have a safe trip home.

I thought of #2 during the game. It is somewhat surprising that #3 is true, but the Spider remaining schedule is favorable. Granted they have to play much better than they have been lately. Let’s go Spiders!

Positives

1. We competed (last 5 minutes)

2. We don't have to play at Dayton again this year.

3. We are still mathematically in the hunt for a #4 seed (threw you a bone 4700)

4. We didn't have to read VT4700's bullshit during in-game posting (I don't anyway because I have him on ignore)

5. Bigs and Dji both had nice stat lines for the minutes they played.

6. I think Mooney added 2 more to his unused timeout bonus clause.

7. I'm drunk at the Auckland Hilton and it's only 2pm (only applies to me but I'm thinking about you guys)

As you can tell, I've had lots of time for posting. It's rained 12 inches in the last 3 days and still raining. For all you weather nerds like me, January here is their driest month of the year when they only average about 1 inch for the month. This month has been their wettest month EVER. All time, for ANY month. But we've been here a month and did have a bunch of nice days. I love New Zealand... it should be on everyone's bucket list. Suppose to fly home tomorrow. Wish me luck, the airport's flooded...

Go Spiders!!
Wait, so you haven’t moved there?

Reactions: SpiderRick
The announcers today were quick to add a new excuse: we have three new assistant coaches.
At least that one seems semi-legitimate.

They also pointed out just how few transfers we’ve taken in during CMs time here. Without saying it out loud, it was basically saying “catch up”.

Mooney let the visiting team practice in the Robins Center for 2 or 3 days leading up to the game. They were very used to the sight lines which really took away our home court advantage.
Yep, this is total BS. Schmidt gamed the hell out of fake nice guy. When I heard they were practicing here, thought for sure we gave them practice gym not the RC. Crazy town.

I appreciate being nice and exhibiting sportsmanship, but not at our own expense.
I know it sounds bad, but no way you let them get familiar with the sight lines. You let them know it is not available. Hell, from what I recall that was a reason to build the Queally center, low availability of the RC. Between the yet again terrible rotation and their familiarity, it was target shooting out there.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
tbf every team gets a practice/shootaround on the opposing team's court. and Bona had 3-4 days in between games staying in Richmond. Professional courtesy says they would practice at U of R. I'm for that. & they should get at least 1 full practice in RC. But we do have the practice facility, seemed like a perfect time for Bona to use. Not the whole time but majority should have been there. & we'd spend majority at RC.

Reactions: urfan1
New excuse: we don't have an organized NIL collective. (Hmm, I wonder if we would have one had we made it to the NCAAs more than once in 11 years?)

Can we start paying these coaches a lot less now? U got NIL doing much of the recruiting for coaches. U got the school bringing in less fundraising directly bc redirected to NIL & school will need cuts to make up for it. U got less program building & development w the portal now too.

Funniest line in the referenced article -

By NCAA rules, boosters cannot use NIL activity, or promise it, to induce a student-athlete to enroll at a school or remain at one.

• Haha
Reactions: urfan1 and SpiderK
Can we start paying these coaches a lot less now? U got NIL doing much of the recruiting for coaches. U got the school bringing in less fundraising directly bc redirected to NIL & school will need cuts to make up for it. U got less program building & development w the portal now too.
You are correct. The important recruiting tools now will be marketing students who can get these players millions of Instagram and Snap Chat and Tic Toc followers. That’s where the NIL is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT