ADVERTISEMENT

At Dayton

Gospiders06

Team Manager
Jan 25, 2018
I don’t care that Dayton lost to Rhode Island. We haven’t beaten a descent team all year. We have constantly lost on the road. All the momentum seems lost at this point. Laying an egg in Amherst is totally ridiculous. But hey we got Mooney so who really cares. That tournament run last year seems like a nightmare now. Cause we are stuck with a mediocre and clueless coach. Clearly the players carried this team last year.

We are told our future is bright. So it must be true. All we have to do is keep doing what we do with the same coach for life. We will prevail.

• Haha
Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Wow Rhode Island sucks, they lost to us. What the hell is up with Dayton?

Even a blind squirrel finds the occasional acorn.

Even a blind coach will call an appropriate time out at the end of a close game.
I do appreciate the reasonable positivity you bring to this board.

I know you must bite your tongue a lot, but I m guessing you are just as frustrated as the rest of us. Do you scream at the tv too, or have you just embraced the apathy?

Even a blind coach will call an appropriate time out at the end of a close game.
I do appreciate the reasonable positivity you bring to this board.

I know you must bite your tongue a lot, but I m guessing you are just as frustrated as the rest of us. Do you scream at the tv too, or have you just embraced the apathy?
Alcohol works most of the time

I sure hope we turn things around if that’s even possible. We know we are not a good road team and also don’t have good history at the Dayton Arena. Hope ‘23’s score plays out, but we are looking at 3 straight conference losses.

Normally - I would say bet the house on Dayton. Its at their place, they usually don't lose there, and we rarely win there. BUT - this is bizarro world. Dayton is falling fast - having lost 3 of last 4. And this seem like the perfect "bizarro" game for the Spiders to win. We lose to UMASS on the road, then go to Dayton - pull out a win, and everyone starts saying - see, we are a top team, we can beat Dayton, etc.

Big concern will be Roche - with his injury, will he be able to help at all. And we will need Nelson to step up - he has not played last few games. Not scoring, not giving assists - turning ball over. In Mooney teams - our PG has to be our best player or one of the best, right now - he is not.

Normally - I would say bet the house on Dayton. Its at their place, they usually don't lose there, and we rarely win there. BUT - this is bizarro world. Dayton is falling fast - having lost 3 of last 4. And this seem like the perfect "bizarro" game for the Spiders to win. We lose to UMASS on the road, then go to Dayton - pull out a win, and everyone starts saying - see, we are a top team, we can beat Dayton, etc.

Big concern will be Roche - with his injury, will he be able to help at all. And we will need Nelson to step up - he has not played last few games. Not scoring, not giving assists - turning ball over. In Mooney teams - our PG has to be our best player or one of the best, right now - he is not.
Dude we are falling faster. We’ve never been in Daytons level anyway this season. Holmes is going to eat us alive and CM won’t make any adjustments as we lose by 17

I tend to agree - but I bet it is a close game, giving fans hope.

Dayton 77
UR - 72

We are 1-13 all time at UD Arena. Mooney is 1-8 there. The last two times we went, we lost by 16 and 24. We are not winning there this year, I don't care if Dayton's cheerleaders switch uniforms with their players.
d7b48af17ab3b98f0a077fea95bf6bf4_crop_exact.jpg

I don't know what the A20 is, but he had a perfect A-10 season just three years ago.

And yes, there are a number of Dayton folks calling for him to get the boot. And that's for a dude who's won two-thirds of his games there. They actually have high expectations there.

Fire Anthony Grant, they lost to GW and URI. Underachieving!!! Hasn’t won and A20 championship in years!!!
Actually, Anthony Grant as a coach, his record is not as stellar as you imply. YES, he did have the most impactful player in the game and a terrific point guard for a couple of years. During that time, his teams were very good, one was possibly a National title contender (we will never know). No-one can take that away from him or Dayton.

Bur, if you look at his overall performance, he doesn't really stand out all that much. And, if you actually watch him work a game, you won't be very impressed either. I am not surprised that knowledgeable Dayton supporters might be seeing his deficiencies.

Last edited:
Actually, Anthony Grant as a coach, his record is not as stellar as you imply. YES, he did have the most impactful player in the game for a couple of years. During that time, his teams were very good, one was possibly a National title contender (we will never know). No-one can take that away from him or Dayton.

Bur, if you look at his other stops, he doesn't really stand out all that much. And, if you actually watch him work a game, you won't be very impressed either. I am not surprised that knowledgeable Dayton supporters might be seeing his deficiencies.
Mooney may be medicated to have no personality, but Grant just doesn’t have one.

Bur, if you look at his other stops, he doesn't really stand out all that much.
Yeah, 76–25 in three years at VCU with two NCAA bids (including a win over Duke) and an NIT bid out of the CAA. That guy sucks.

Even if you consider his Alabama stint a failure, he had a better overall winning percentage than Mooney does here.

Zero chance we win at Dayton, might be a little hard because as other have said, even a blind squirrel finds a nut but this has got to be close.

Yeah, 76–25 in three years at VCU with two NCAA bids (including a win over Duke) and an NIT bid out of the CAA. That guy sucks.

Even if you consider his Alabama stint a failure, he had a better overall winning percentage than Mooney does here.
I didn't say that he wasn't better than Mooney. And, he is VERY successful at closing the deal with potential recruits. He has had several very highly rated recruit classes, including the past 2-years at Dayton.

While he had a good run at VCU, his winning percentage at Dayton is .600, and that includes the 2-years when he had the best player in the country AND a very good point guard.

As said, I have watched him work a several games in person, so I'm not surprised that knowledgeable Dayton fans are beginning to question his ability.

I can't evaluate his in-game coaching because I haven't watched him all that much, but he's a .650 coach at Dayton, which is pretty darn good. They've had some significant injury issues to overcome at times in his tenure too.

But I get it, Dayton fans expect regular NCAA bids, and he hasn't had any. Obviously 2020 was a lock, but no dance. Last year almost certainly would have been an NCAA bid if they hadn't had those three terrible early losses when the team was still trying to mesh...win just one or maybe two of those and they would have been in. Unfortunately, quickly getting things together to impressively sweep Kansas, Miami, and Belmont in Orlando and then beat VT wasn't enough to overcome it.

Exactly.

Given the choice to have Grant or Mooney as coach, I suspect most would pick Grant.

Note - 3 poster exception most assuredly in play.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
Dayton also lost their starting backcourt in back to back games in Atlantis and I don't think either has returned yet, so they have had some pretty significant injuries to overcome.

Dayton also lost their starting backcourt in back to back games in Atlantis and I don't think either has returned yet, so they have had some pretty significant injuries to overcome.
Pretty sure Smith is back. Not sure about his backcourt mate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT