ADVERTISEMENT

A10 Game 7 - VCU

I'm embarrassed for Mooney. Can he EVER come up with a different game plan for VCU? This is my home town. Most of my friends doctors coworkers went to VCU. I m so tired of losing to these guys.
Mooney is shameless. And I don’t feel sorry for him. We’ve paid him probably close to $20M for 3 NCAA appearances. He had to put up with one billboard. I refuse to believe we’d win less paying a coach half as much.

I will continue to be a fan of Richmond and I love the school. But UR > Mooney. I can root for one while being disappointed with the other.

Hopes are always high for the Spiders, but at 8-22 v VCU my expectations were low tonight. Once again our coach met expectations, yet we have folks on here who advocate for 15-20 more years of this mediocracy. Can't fathom the thinking, insane, blind to the overall record...but then again we were 24-7 in 2020.

Over and out. So sick of this BS year after year after year from a school that professes to be serious about basketball.

This game highlighted EVERY weakness of this year's team. We saw horrible guard play (3-turnovers in the first minute, no offensive threat, and low ability to get the ball to teammates in reasonable scoring position), turnovers out the ass, LONG dry spells on offense, poor to mediocre play in the post, no adjustments from Mooney (until 3-minutes left when he finally acknowledged that his starters should be removed), horrible play off the bench (Bigelow was awful tonight, Roche did next to nothing).

Sorry to say, but this team (especially the starting 5) just isn't very good. They beat teams that are really bad (like they have done all year), but they won't win many against a decent opponent. VCU is not that good either, but they were 20-points better than Richmond tonight.

You know you are in trouble when a guy from Finland ends up being your point guard.

Mooney got the score competitive at the end. Once VCU pulled all their starters. What does Mooney do? Keep them in for a pointless morale victory.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
We’ve only beat them in the last 18 years 8 times and that was when we have had exceptional point guard play - we don’t have that right now.

Reactions: SpiderK
The problem is Quinn is also the best distributor on the team and we don’t have any other good passers besides maybe Grace. Quinn can’t pass it to himself.
So you want Quinn to play outside and pass the ball to who???? Burton gets plenty of shots on his own so does Grace. There isn't anyone else that has shown to be a consistent double figure scorer. I would rather see Quinn down low taking even more shots. I would also like to see Quinn and Grace on the low blocks at the same time. They could set picks for each other and have a better opportunity for offensive rebounds. This offense, the way these guys run it, just isn't working. It takes way too long to try to get a good shot resulting in firing up rushed three pointers or Burton going one on two or three half the time. If the threes are falling, as they do against poor defenses, fine. If not chances for a win are greatly diminished. The freshman big kid needs to be playing much more than he has played so far.
The problem is Quinn is also the best distributor on the team and we don’t have any other good passers besides maybe Grace. Quinn can’t pass it to himself.

One thing I’ll never understand is why we don’t pick up our pace (both ways but particularly on O) when we’re down double digits and a waning clock.

Really the only way is to get buckets fast or force turnovers fast. Yet we rarely do either.

At least the crowd wasn’t heavily VCU. Sad statement.

Reactions: gospidersgo
This is the epiphany that came upon me over my whisky sour. Conman Moonie is the blind squirrel that eventually finds a nut or the broken clock that is right twice a day. He is just a guy who says the right things and knows that given enough time he will “succeed” through sheer luck every decade or so and that is good enough for our pathetic athletic department.

I'm embarrassed for Mooney. Can he EVER come up with a different game plan for VCU? This is my home town. Most of my friends doctors coworkers went to VCU. I m so tired of losing to these guys.
He never seems to change his game plan once it is set. Sometimes this works like when he beat us at the Stu (game Briante Weber got hurt)-stayed in a zone and dared us to shoot 3's and we couldn't. Tonight je needed to make some halftime adjustments and did not.

One thing I’ll never understand is why we don’t pick up our pace (both ways but particularly on O) when we’re down double digits and a waning clock.

Really the only way is to get buckets fast or force turnovers fast. Yet we rarely do either.

To let them go on a 15-0 run and not do anything besides allowing us to have empty possession after empty possession was coaching malpractice - but he’s the smart guy getting paid the big bucks.

I’ve thought the same re: your first paragraph for years. BUT the system is the system come hell or high water.

If you guys can suffer through the Mooney part of the post game video, the Tyler Burton part is excellent. We are so lucky to have that kid.

He never seems to change his game plan once it is set. Sometimes this works like when he beat us at the Stu (game Briante Weber got hurt)-stayed in a zone and dared us to shoot 3's and we couldn't. Tonight je needed to make some halftime adjustments and did not.
The game was over when the thief got hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT