ADVERTISEMENT

A10 Game 7 - VCU

Eight Legger

Spider's Club
May 27, 2003
A big fat disgusting home loss coming up next Friday! I can hardly wait. Hopefully we’ll mix in a pathetic loss to Rhode Island first, just for good measure, but I particularly enjoy getting crushed by the Lambs on our own court. What’s it like rooting for a team that shows up for important games? I wish I knew.

A big fat disgusting home loss coming up next Friday! I can hardly wait. Hopefully we’ll mix in a pathetic loss to Rhode Island first, just for good measure, but I particularly enjoy getting crushed by the Lambs on our own court. What’s it like rooting for a team that shows up for important games? I wish I knew.
Unfortunately, some things never change.

I hope our wonderful tech staff has at least fixed our effing scoreboards by then. We don’t need any more embarrassment than we will already endure.

I see this as another big litmus test game. We both come in winning 4 out of 5. VCU includes some big margins in those 5, with a huge win at Dayton. Mooney has been dreadful against VCU, particularly disappointing because the big RVA year when we went to S16 and they went to F4, seemed to send us in different directions. Time for Moon to start turning this around. Home game. As mentioned by another poster earlier, and has been the case most games, a lot rides on JayNel's shoulders. Needs to hit some shots, and NOT turn it over and try to do too much.

I normally like our matchup with VCU, because we have the guards/ballhandling to handle their pressure and presence from others to limit turnovers. But with this team - I am not so sure. The only good thing is that we play them at our place first, so that should provide some comfort - but we know VCU will have a lot of fans on hand for the game.

I just don't know with Nelson and Goose - do we have enough ballhandling to handle their pressure for 40 minutes, and are Quinn and Roche overmatched by their pressure and athleticism as a whole.

In the past - did not worry too much about this because we have always had strong guard play the can handle the pressure, and our big guys - Grant, TJ, etc - were poised enough and knew how to handle it as well. It might be a learning game for Quinn and Roche and even Bigelow - who may have never experienced it before.

VCU 77
UR 65

I suspect that Nelson is going to get taken to the woodshed. Time will tell, maybe this comment will fire him up enough that he is highly motivated to prove me wrong.

The best chance for a Spider victory is if Roche goes on a tear and drops 21. An up and down pace will likely offer Roche an opportunity (if he is in the game) to get some open looks. He must make a good %.

Also think that this game might offer an opportunity for DJI Bailey. Take advantage young fellow!

This game will be all about how Nelson, Goose, and Burton handle the ball. To a lesser extent Randolph and Bailey.

It was interesting to see that URI seemed to turn the pressure up a bit when Dji got in the game, they got him the first time with a held ball, but he settled down after that.

I suspect that Nelson is going to get taken to the woodshed. Time will tell, maybe this comment will fire him up enough that he is highly motivated to prove me wrong.

The best chance for a Spider victory is if Roche goes on a tear and drops 21. An up and down pace will likely offer Roche an opportunity (if he is in the game) to get some open looks. He must make a good %.

Also think that this game might offer an opportunity for DJI Bailey. Take advantage young fellow!
All we need is for Roche to have a 41% average from 3 in the A10 after this game 7 of 8 should do it.

Reactions: urfan1

From your lips to Coach ears 😀

I was holding off on Roche until this time. But so far in A10 play - he has not shot well - for his standards.

I believe he is 7 for 26 (27%) from deep in A10 play through 6 games. In the OOC games - he was 30 for 64 (47%). So there has been a drop there. The VCU game could go either way for him. The up and down style could lead to a lot of quick shots for him if he is in the game and takes them. Or the pressure could lead to not a lot of open looks for him. We also have to be careful though as sometimes taking a quick open look is just what VCU wants, so you have to be selective when doing this and know the time, situation, etc.

But ir Roche wants to go 7-8 from deep, that would be fine by me.

This game will be all about how Nelson, Goose, and Burton handle the ball. To a lesser extent Randolph and Bailey.

It was interesting to see that URI seemed to turn the pressure up a bit when Dji got in the game, they got him the first time with a held ball, but he settled down after that.
I thought he slipped when he spun but said he dropped down on purpose bc of the way his fingers are taped... ring and middle finger he had a hard time controlling the ball with his left so he thought at least he would have a shot at a tie up. He told me he only had 1 practice live and it was only half court. I expect as he gets his stamina he should get a little more time as we move on.

Last edited:
I was holding off on Roche until this time. But so far in A10 play - he has not shot well - for his standards.

I believe he is 7 for 26 (27%) from deep in A10 play through 6 games. In the OOC games - he was 30 for 64 (47%). So there has been a drop there. The VCU game could go either way for him. The up and down style could lead to a lot of quick shots for him if he is in the game and takes them. Or the pressure could lead to not a lot of open looks for him. We also have to be careful though as sometimes taking a quick open look is just what VCU wants, so you have to be selective when doing this and know the time, situation, etc.

But ir Roche wants to go 7-8 from deep, that would be fine by me.
It would be good to have his 47% from OOC or his 43% against Top 50, but I will take 14-34 41% against the A10...

Maybe he should talk to Brothers about playing VCU...

no idea how good VCU is. haven't watched them this year. but I know their style. and I always feel the best way to beat them is to attack in transition, not just work to get the ball across and then set up and run the offense. Gilly would score, but he'd also find guys in the right spots in transition for good looks. he could push up ahead and then see a Roche or Burton or Grace type walking into a 3 and get it to them at the right time.

Nelson hasn't shown me he's ready to control a game like that yet. this would be a great time to show it.

Gilly would score, but he'd also find guys in the right spots in transition for good looks. he could push up ahead and then see a Roche or Burton or Grace type walking into a 3 and get it to them at the right time.

Nelson hasn't shown me he's ready to control a game like that yet. this would be a great time to show it.
Yes, it is a very fine line. I very much agree, you do need to punish them and get easy hoops against the press, and some of those would be guard pushing ball and finding Roche, or Burton, or Randolph for open 3. We are going to need Nelson to step up, and Goose/Randolph/Roche/Dji - a couple of these guys to really handle the ball and make great decisions. We need to attack when we have the opportunity, but pull it out when things are not there, and not turn it into points the other direction. Could really see Randolph being a key in this one too.

Reactions: spiderman
Yes, it is a very fine line. I very much agree, you do need to punish them and get easy hoops against the press, and some of those would be guard pushing ball and finding Roche, or Burton, or Randolph for open 3. We are going to need Nelson to step up, and Goose/Randolph/Roche/Dji - a couple of these guys to really handle the ball and make great decisions. We need to attack when we have the opportunity, but pull it out when things are not there, and not turn it into points the other direction. Could really see Randolph being a key in this one too.
I'm not sure Roche has dribbled the ball since he's been here. He's either shooting or passing when the ball comes his way. I don't see him part of the rotation that is going to help against the press. Replace him in that sentence with Burton and its dead on.

I thought he slipped when he spun but said he dropped down on purpose bc of the way his fingers are taped... ring and middle finger he had a hard time controlling the ball with his left so he thought at least he would have a shot at a tie up. He told me he only had 1 practice live and it was only half court. I expect as he gets his stamina he should get a little more time as we move on.
I hope you don't take this as anything other than what it is....a legitimate question. If Dji can't dribble that great with his left hand, should he really be out there? If I am VCU, aren't I just making him go left every time?

Too bad for you we won last night. I know you were hoping we would lose. It's right there. That's what you said. I find it very satisfying that our win last night ruined your night.

off topic but I have a scoring question:
if you get tied up and the alternate possession arrow favors the other team, is that counted as a turnover?

I assume it's not a turnover if the arrow is going your way?
really should be scored the same way to me. losing the possession arrow is just as bad, assuming there's another alternate possession at some point.

off topic but I have a scoring question:
if you get tied up and the alternate possession arrow favors the other team, is that counted as a turnover?

I assume it's not a turnover if the arrow is going your way?
really should be scored the same way to me. losing the possession arrow is just as bad, assuming there's another alternate possession at some point.
Yes it is, at least espn counted it last night against Dji. If it’s going your way it isn’t.

Mooney is what 8-22 against VCU, which is a sweet 26% winning percentage. I'm not great or math at anything but I think I would play those odds everyday and Sunday.

Here is my prediction, we play VCU close for the first 35 minutes and then we fold the last 5 minutes, VCU by 6. Seen this script before, hope I am wrong. .Of all of Mooney's fault's, his absolute domination by our archrival has to be one of the most soul crushing for the fan base. His check still cashes, I'm sure, for fans though it is just one more bitter pill to swallow.

I don't have a good feeling about this game. I think we will turn the ball over way too much to have a chance. vcewe may run us out of our own gym.

Reactions: gospidersgo
I'd like for them to erect that one just so that we could see it discarded.
There was a statue sculpted for Pierpont. For those of you who go back that far and are knowledgeable about Pierpont, that’s a deserving tribute🐶. At one point it was in the student commons.

Reactions: KE Spider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT