ADVERTISEMENT

A10 Game 7 - VCU

I know he's 7 feet tall but after almost 2/3 of the season, what is the fascination here with force-feeding Quinn as a first option? Personally, I don't think it has opened up much in the way of tons of open looks, as most teams with any size are okay playing him straight up. If he's decisive and quick in his moves to start, great, but we haven't seen that kind of decision making most games.

Should it be part of the UR offense? Sure. A primary part of it? I'd rather see Burton shoot most of the time and I'd like to get Nelson some good early looks before then too. I'd rather Grace actually post up more than be a 3 point shooter in the starting 5 honestly as well. So call a Quinn post up my 3rd/4th option in starting lineup.
Many other players that are playing big minutes struggle offensively. We need consistent scoring from someone besides Burton, and Quinn looks like a good option. His footwork has looked really good, I think he is capable of getting over that last hump and finishing more consistently. At least that is what I am hoping for.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Many other players that are playing big minutes struggle offensively. We need consistent scoring from someone besides Burton, and Quinn looks like a good option. His footwork has looked really good, I think he is capable of getting over that last hump and finishing more consistently. At least that is what I am hoping for.
Quinn needs to start on the low blocks and stay down low. Does anyone on this team know how to throw a high lob that Quinn can go straight up, catch, come down and then turn and drop in the basket. Should Quinn be the first option? only if he is open. Isn't it possible for someone like Burton or Grace to set a low post screen for Quinn? I haven't seen that tried yet.
Quinn is missing a lot of layups but at least he is getting some shots closer to the basket. Too bad he didn't start the season down low. I think he would be a lot more effective now if he had had twenty games down low instead of the four or five that he has had recently.

Where VCU is Strong

Team Defense: VCU is one of the most formidable defenses we have and will face this season. They rank 51st in points allowed a game (64.2), 24th in Defensive rating, 22nd in Steals per game (9.4), and 32nd in Blocks per game (4.8). In addition their opponents commit close to 18 turnovers per game, one of the best numbers in all of basketball. They are a lock down defense that will a give a team like ours trouble. I expect to see low scoring on both sides, with two of the strongest defenses in the A-10 going head to head. Their one weakness is they give up a lot of FGA's per game, particularly 3's, so we have to knock down our shots, but more importantly, take care of the basketball to win.

3-Point Shooting: One might take a look at their 3-Point shooting numbers for the season and say, yeah they shoot over 35% and are in the top 100 in the country, but not anything crazy that we haven't faced before. Think again. In the A-10 so far, VCU is shooting 47.5% from outside the arc, an astounding number. Plus they don't overcommit from 3, ranking only 13th in the A-10 in 3 Point Attempts. VCU have a very balanced attack and put up a lot of shots a game, so hard to know which way they'll go in this one. David Shriver is by far their best 3 point shooter, at 61.3% so far in A-10 play. Look for them to give him plenty of looks (he averages 5+ per game). Personally, I think we need to counter with Roche and let him shoot to have a shot to compete.

Getting to the Line: As a team that takes a high volume of shots, you'd expect them to get to the line a lot, but so far this season, they rank inside the top 20 in the country in Free Throws Attempted (15th) and Free Throws Made (17th). However, so far in A-10 play, they're middle of the pack. They've been so efficient from 3 they haven't needed to get to the line, but if we go and shut them down on the perimeter, look for them to get back to their bread and butter of aggressive drives and plays down by the basket to get their point totals up.

Where VCU is Weak

Rebounding:
VCU has been a pretty poor rebounding team this season, but especially in A10 play (11th). Part of this can be attributed to them making their shots, but it's something we will need to beat them on throughout this game to win. I never thought I'd say this, but I think we might be able to get close to VCU's rebounding numbers tonight.

Turnovers: VCU is fairly careless with the basketball. This season they are 29th worst in the country with 15.1 turnovers per game. However, in A-10 play, they've cleaned it up a bit with only 13.5 turnovers in their last 6 games. Let's see if the Goose can shut down Brandon Johns (he'll absolutely get that assignment) and the rest of the team can slow them down a bit. I think if they commit 15+ turnovers, we have a chance to win

Quinn needs to start on the low blocks and stay down low. Does anyone on this team know how to throw a high lob that Quinn can go straight up, catch, come down and then turn and drop in the basket. Should Quinn be the first option? only if he is open. Isn't it possible for someone like Burton or Grace to set a low post screen for Quinn? I haven't seen that tried yet.
Quinn is missing a lot of layups but at least he is getting some shots closer to the basket. Too bad he didn't start the season down low. I think he would be a lot more effective now if he had had twenty games down low instead of the four or five that he has had recently.
The problem is Quinn is also the best distributor on the team and we don’t have any other good passers besides maybe Grace. Quinn can’t pass it to himself.

The problem is Quinn is also the best distributor on the team and we don’t have any other good passers besides maybe Grace. Quinn can’t pass it to himself.
He is a very good passer but don't prioritize him as playing like PG dishing out assists . Three things can happen while on the court. Score, pass or maybe get an offensive rebound. Two of the three don't happen receiving ball by the FL extended. I like him getting it down low to score or even pass it out for open 3PTA.

Reactions: bongturk
I don’t know why they have an obsession about U of R being in Henrico. The Robins Center is clearly in the City

Reactions: Spider2020
Well we didn’t get blown out in the first 6 minutes. That is a positive

So first possession, Quinn get it down low and misses a bunny. Later by FTL throws bad pass for TO and next possession gets it down low, double teamed and passes out to Nelson for open 3PTA. Then staying down follows up Grace miss for tap in. Tyler is the man but silly not to see what Quinn's size can produce.

Thought Matty was the best out there in the first half. Nelson 18 minutes and Randolph 2. I know Mooney wants him in there leary of their ball pressure but don't see that much from him than someone else would do worse.. I do see Baldwin has 9 points and 3 assists.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Thought Matty was the best out there in the first half. Nelson 18 minutes and Randolph 2. I know Mooney wants him in there leary of their ball pressure but don't see that much from him than someone else would do worse.. I do see Baldwin has 9 points and 3 assists.
Baldwin has been a handful.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT