ADVERTISEMENT

A10 Game 7 - VCU

I think at some point in this game we see a run sparked by Roche getting hot from 3

We proved against URI that we can scrap if we need to. Bring that same mentality Friday, we’re going to need it.

The Lambs are ready for slaughter.

Hopeful prediction:

Richmond: 62
Others: 57

If I had to bet:

Richmond: 54
Lambies: 58

The Spiders know what they are going to get and this version of the Broad St boasters although at the top of the A10 standings this year is far from the best version of this team. Their fans were ready to jettison Rhodes in the OOC and grumbling about what the team had become. Being in the RC helps the Spiders a ton and that could be the deciding factor.

I expect them to concentrate on taking Burton out of the game on D and driving and going into the post on O. Grace is going to have to have the battle gear on and Quinn is going to have to be decisive. We haven’t seen Walz any lately, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he has to play a few minutes in the first half to account for foul trouble.

If the Spiders can get the best version of Nelson and Bigelow, then I think they have a chance. I am not worried about forced turnovers, but am worried about players making the same self inflicted types of mistakes that have been commonplace this year.

As far as Spider fans not indicating they don’t want to go to the game, etc are you kidding me? This should be the game that everyone can’t wait to attend and to come out of the game without a voice.

The only good news is that Rhoades sucks as a coach too, and VCU has a team that wasn't assembled entirely this fall, which apparently is an advantage for us. Hopefully we knock Deliverance on his ass early in the game, because even though we're going to lose, the thought of a hillbilly white dude being the reason VCU beats us would be too much to take, even for a team coached by Mooney.

The only good news is that Rhoades sucks as a coach too, and VCU has a team that wasn't assembled entirely this fall, which apparently is an advantage for us. Hopefully we knock Deliverance on his ass early in the game, because even though we're going to lose, the thought of a hillbilly white dude being the reason VCU beats us would be too much to take, even for a team coached by Mooney.
“hillbilly white dude”……..you killing me!

The Spiders know what they are going to get and this version of the Broad St boasters although at the top of the A10 standings this year is far from the best version of this team. Their fans were ready to jettison Rhodes in the OOC and grumbling about what the team had become. Being in the RC helps the Spiders a ton and that could be the deciding factor.

I expect them to concentrate on taking Burton out of the game on D and driving and going into the post on O. Grace is going to have to have the battle gear on and Quinn is going to have to be decisive. We haven’t seen Walz any lately, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he has to play a few minutes in the first half to account for foul trouble.

If the Spiders can get the best version of Nelson and Bigelow, then I think they have a chance. I am not worried about forced turnovers, but am worried about players making the same self inflicted types of mistakes that have been commonplace this year.

As far as Spider fans not indicating they don’t want to go to the game, etc are you kidding me? This should be the game that everyone can’t wait to attend and to come out of the game without a voice.
Agreed to all ... let's make this a repeat of the 2020 game ... will be surprised if I have a voice at halftime in fact.

Can't wait for tonight. Key to the game is Tyler, Matt, and Goose leading the way and helping the newer guys to not let the moment and emotions get too high for them. Particularly interested to see how JayNel and Neal fare given how both play with so much emotion and are critical to the flow of the offense. If they can play within themselves and be agressive at the right times, it should be a great game. All eyes on us tonight, let's go!

Reactions: Section9.RowD
That part of the year where Richmond fans get pumped for a win vs VCU only to be heartbroken because Chris put out 6 men on the floor.
Have to think that it was a players fault, or an assistant coach. :):):). Could not be Mooney, as Giselle once said about Tom - he can't throw and CATCH THE BALL!! Mooney can delegate, but he can't make the 6th guy stay on the bench!!!!

Have to think that it was a players fault, or an assistant coach. :):):). Could not be Mooney, as Giselle once said about Tom - he can't throw and CATCH THE BALL!! Mooney can delegate, but he can't make the 6th guy stay on the bench!!!
This I don’t agree with this at all. Mooney is the coach, he needs to know how many players he put on the floor, especially in the second half of a game against your rivals. This just shows Mooney’s poor game management that we’ve seen throughout his career here.

This I don’t agree with this at all. Mooney is the coach, he needs to know how many players he put on the floor, especially in the second half of a game against your rivals. This just shows Mooney’s poor game management that we’ve seen throughout his career here.
LOL, is this a serious reply?

• Haha
Reactions: spider23
Keys to this game for the Spiders.

1) Nelson must play his best game tonight. That doesn't mean he needs to score his most points. But we need him to play 35 minutes, have 3 or less turnovers, stay out of foul trouble, and just play a solid game tonight. If we can get 10 points and 5 assists with 3 turnovers tonight out of Nelson in 35 minutes - I like our chances.

2) Burton - no different than any other game, we need him to score, but we need him to be efficient - something he has not really been the last few games. But I think the up and down style of VCU will allow Burton more opportunities for open looks and better drives. 25 points tonight for Burton.

3) Grace/Roche - they need to be the support on offense. We don't need Roche to go crazy, but we def need one of those 4-6 nights, and not a 1-6 night. Grace - we need him to play like MFG most of the game. Doesn't need to go crazy - but we need him to help on the boards and be a contributor on offense - 10-12 points. If we can get 20-24 points out of these two combined, and get the 25 out of Burton and solid play out of Nelson - we should feel good.

4) Quinn - be your average self tonight. Play 19 minutes, go 3-5 from the field and grab 4 rebounds. And since your only playing 19 minutes - use up your fouls if you need to.

5) Bigelow - Rebound, Rebound, Rebound. This is all I would tell him to focus on tonight. He should try to get 10 rebounds tonight. And if he can knock down a 3 or two - bonus. But focus on rebounds tonight.

6) Goose, Randolph - provide energy and defense. And limit your turnovers. I don't expect Randolph to play too much in this game unless fouls are a factor (which could happen with Nelson). But I think Mooney will lean on Goose to be that calming presence and help with pressure, not so much through dribbling, but with good decisions in passing. Limit turnovers, play good defense.

This is a game we can win. But the difference between us and VCU right now is I think we have to play one of our best games to win, whereas I think VCU can play average or a little below average, and because of their style of play, energy, and bench - they can keep the game close even if they don't play well.

The key to tonight is Nelson. The kid has to be alert and not play his usual nonchalant game. Quinn needs to make his bunnies and Tyler has to shoot well from 3. Roach has to shoot 10 times. Most of all the refs have to call the fouls that VCU gets away with. UR MUST make 80% of their free throws.

Look, VCU is an elite-level program. They have height, range, quickness, mustaches, rebounding, great defense. A team like this is not one that we should realistically expect to beat, ever. Stop thinking that we should. Just because we are in the same league as them doesn't mean we can beat them this year or any year. Just be glad that we will have a full house tonight and be on ESPN2. It's great exposure for our university, and even after a loss, we will still be 4-3 with a strong chance to be 4-5 after we play UMass and Dayton on the road. Then we'll have 9 more games left and a great chance to play all 9 of them.

Last edited:
The key to tonight is Nelson. The kid has to be alert and not play his usual nonchalant game. Quinn needs to make his bunnies and Tyler has to shoot well from 3. Roach has to shoot 10 times. Most of all the refs have to call the fouls that VCU gets away with. UR MUST make 80% of their free throws.
Agreed. We need Nelson's "A" game tonight. And we need him to just not the turn the ball over (that is a prerequisite for a PG) but we need him to be assertive on offense. We can't have one of these games where he dribbles all over the court and then just passes it back out. We need him to go to the hole, use his floater, and really run the offense. And honestly, I don't want Mooney to have to go to Randolph because Nelson is having an off night. If that happens, we are in trouble. The way we beat VCU is through really great PG play.

Also, yes FT's. I expect a close game and we can't not be giving up free points. VCU fouls like it is their job in these games and we have to make them pay for that.

Look, VCU is an elite-level program. They have height, range, quickness, mustaches, rebounding, great defense. A team like this is not one that we should realistically expect to beat, ever. Stop thinking that we should. Just because we are in the same league as them doesn't mean we can beat them this year or any year. Just be glad that we will have a full house tonight and be on ESPN2. It's great exposure for our university, and even after a loss, we will still be 4-3 witha great chance to be 4-4 after we play Dayton. Then we'll have 10 more games left and a great chance to play all 10 of them.
Exactly, UR has to contend with students having SAT scores above 700, high school diplomas and attending classes and maintaining a 2.0 GPA. VCU has none of these academic constraints slowing down their recruiting or player eligibility, never have.

We are -1.5 and ESPN has us a 56% chance of winning. 😂
Did Baldwin get hurt? Or someone fail 1st semester?
It started at Even, then VCU -1, VCU -1.5, then UR -1.5...

Or did Pomeroy dump a lot of money on UR late?

Either way, I'd be happy with another Dukes finish.
"Roche Motel, opponents check in, but don’t check out…with the win…"

I feel like many of Nelson's turnovers are not against pressure in the full or 3/4 court, but when he gets into the lane on drives - charges, gets stripped or in a bad spot and throws a bad pass. So I'm less concerned with backcourt turnovers from him than I am him getting sped up in the game by the pressure and making poor decisions after that.

Hit 3s, Guard 3s.

I was holding off on Roche until this time. But so far in A10 play - he has not shot well - for his standards.

I believe he is 7 for 26 (27%) from deep in A10 play through 6 games. In the OOC games - he was 30 for 64 (47%). So there has been a drop there. The VCU game could go either way for him. The up and down style could lead to a lot of quick shots for him if he is in the game and takes them. Or the pressure could lead to not a lot of open looks for him. We also have to be careful though as sometimes taking a quick open look is just what VCU wants, so you have to be selective when doing this and know the time, situation, etc.

But ir Roche wants to go 7-8 from deep, that would be fine by me.
Your premise here may have merit for players not named Roche. Roche has proven that all he needs is a split second of daylight. He can shoot close to 50%, if he gets the daylight I want him firing away. If he makes 7-15, Spiders win (That is unless it goes down to the last second in which case Mooney will find a way to lose).

Last edited:
I feel like many of Nelson's turnovers are not against pressure in the full or 3/4 court, but when he gets into the lane on drives - charges, gets stripped or in a bad spot and throws a bad pass. So I'm less concerned with backcourt turnovers from him than I am him getting sped up in the game by the pressure and making poor decisions after that.

Hit 3s, Guard 3s.
Agree 100%. VCU doesn't press like they used to, but they still play pressure defense. Sloppy ball-handling will equal an "L"

Look, VCU is an elite-level program. They have height, range, quickness, mustaches, rebounding, great defense. A team like this is not one that we should realistically expect to beat, ever. Stop thinking that we should. Just because we are in the same league as them doesn't mean we can beat them this year or any year. Just be glad that we will have a full house tonight and be on ESPN2. It's great exposure for our university, and even after a loss, we will still be 4-3 with a strong chance to be 4-5 after we play UMass and Dayton on the road. Then we'll have 9 more games left and a great chance to play all 9 of them.
Still laughing about the mustaches reference, almost as much as "a great chance to play all 9 of them".

Looks like started as PK game and now seeing UR -1.5. A great opportunity to beat those guys.

As stated already key appears how well Nelson and whoever at PG handle the applied pressure. They produce lots of TOs while UR doesn't commit many. VCU is a balanced scoring team so maybe less of Goose critical on one player and more of Roche might be needed. Last 4 years Rhoades team a piss-poor D bounding team. I hope Mooney lets player(s) hit the O glass. I think maybe Bigs playing more and possibly less of Grace/Quinn combo in lineup might benefit.

My first priority is attempting to go low to Quinn. Maybe wrong not seeing enough games but too much getting the ball 15' out? Don't know why he can't get closer to the rim without putting ball on floor as much. Forget the FTL extended unless creates say room for Tyler or someone to the basket.

We have Roche but they have a guy named Shriver on fire 17-22 shooting 77% from 3 last 4 games. He's due. Without him still at 40% last 4. You can live and die by it. Hopefully bad night from deep though getting 3s hasn't been necessary for wins.

IMO Mooney has plenty of options for how managing best 5 on the court throughout the game.. Big test for inexperienced Nelson this game but likewise experienced Mooney as coach regarding player management.

Reactions: bongturk
Your premise here may have merit for players not named Roche. Roche has proven that all he needs is a split second of daylight. He can shoot close to 50%, if he gets the daylight I want him firing away. If he makes 7-15, Spiders win (That is unless it goes down to the last second in which case Mooney will find a way to lose).
Split second or not - he has hit a little slump since A10 play started. Now I know all shooters go through this, so this might be nothing but a blimp on his season - but its worth noting, especially since he seemed to cool off last year at the end of the season with Citadel.

I know he's 7 feet tall but after almost 2/3 of the season, what is the fascination here with force-feeding Quinn as a first option? Personally, I don't think it has opened up much in the way of tons of open looks, as most teams with any size are okay playing him straight up. If he's decisive and quick in his moves to start, great, but we haven't seen that kind of decision making most games.

Should it be part of the UR offense? Sure. A primary part of it? I'd rather see Burton shoot most of the time and I'd like to get Nelson some good early looks before then too. I'd rather Grace actually post up more than be a 3 point shooter in the starting 5 honestly as well. So call a Quinn post up my 3rd/4th option in starting lineup.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT