ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Richmond Spiders Football - Prologue - Campbell

mojo-spider

Team Manager
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010

Coach Huesman reiterated for the ninth game in a row that the Spiders will have to play "extremely well" to defeat the Fighting Camels...last week against A&T the upward performance trajectory needed to reach November and meaningful football stalled on the offensive and special teams units...that has to be corrected on Saturday!

Campbell may be a lot like Rhode Island...they have demonstrated a powerful offensive attack that scores over 37 points per game versus CAA opponents...our defense will likely be severely tested by the Camel's QB Williams and his receivers who specialize in big plays...their red zone TD % is incredible 30/35...let's keep em out of the red zone!

the oddsmakers have the game about even...like Rhode Island I do expect the Spiders defense to slow down Williams and company...that will give our offense and special teams a chance to redeem themselves after the letdown in Greensboro...we'll need a confident and productive start to the game...don't want to be playing catch up!

I'm also looking forward to seeing the ceremonies to honor the 2008 National Champions...what priceless memories they gave Richmond fans...so far the 2023 team has little in common with the 2008 Champions, but maybe some that magical 2008 mojo will wear off on this years team...after Scotty McGee, the Champs ripped off nine wins to get the crown...I'd settle for this team's 4th in a row to get to November and meaningful football...

If you are celebrating Homecoming I hope you have fun...it looks to be a great day for Spiders fellowship, camaraderie and important football game...

enjoy the Prologue...

Go Spiders!

Was there with youngest son, 17 at the time. Had tears in my eyes at end of game. Son said, Dad I have never seen you cry before. Had to be there to appreciate the moment. A dream come true. Forever memorable to me.

This is not that year again, but keep winning and make the playoffs.

Kick the Camels and keep rolling!

Haley view:

CAA: Campbell (4-3, 3-2) at Richmond (5-3, 4-1)

Kickoff: 3:30 p.m. (FloSports)

Notable: The winning margin in each of Campbell’s last four games is six points or less. Hajj-Malik Williams’ 74.9 completion percentage ranks second in the FCS, and he’s thrown for 15 TDs against just three interceptions. Richmond is one of three teams with an FCS-high four defensive touchdowns. Linebacker Tristan Wheeler is up to 443 career tackles, just three shy of tying for the second-most in school history. He’s the active leader in all levels of NCAA football.

The Pick: Richmond

Reactions: urfan1
So many self inflected mistakes. Their QB is hard to bring down but we’re just giving this away. If we can right the ship we have some decent matchups.

Wickersham now in. Hopefully the offense goes vertical - we need to move the ball.

Wickersham cannot throw the ball more than 5 yards. 3rd and 18 and he throws a one yard pass. I saw his high school highlights, the kid could sling it then. So why not now?

Need to keep the offense going vertical. Defense is playing well enough. We need to look to score! Throw it downfield.

Had Cambell on their heels before the half and Russ could not call a play to save his life. Ended up settling for field goal. Frustrated fans here.

Had Cambell on their heels before the half and Russ could not call a play to save his life. Ended up settling for field goal. Frustrated fans here.
Was disappointed we didn’t take a shot at the end zone but o-line was having trouble blocking anyone at that point.

I don’t understand how we’re never able to pick up a blitz and hit a quick slant.

hasn’t been pretty but D-line has come to play and keeping us in it. Certainly nothing has been easy with this team this year and today is no different.

Great coverage though on the kickoff. That could have been worse.

The penalty was just awful to take. No reason to still be on the field then.

Wheeler follows up with the strip sack. Would be a great time to come out and take a shot downfield. I suspect Russ will take the air out of the ball though.

Another INT. Spiders D slammed the nail into the coffin. Will grind this down on offense. A large margin win helps all postseason odds. Can hopefully get healthy in the bye week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT