ADVERTISEMENT

A10 Game 5 - At St Bonaventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m still trying to figure out why our starting five is who it is. Today was as good an example as any that they are not the best five together, even if they may be our best five (dubious statement btw).

15-8 on turnovers says a lot about the game.
Did Bigelow start? If not, he should. We need his toughness.

wow that was pathetic. Mooney will never win another game at St. Bonnies. He is so bad. Had no answers i N 2nd half and i dont even think he tried.

Reactions: SpiderK
Cold shooting. We just didn't make enough from deep compared to the Bonnies. This is where Quinn needs to help out and coaches need to emphasize it. If the shots are not falling, lets go inside to the 7 footer and get some close range shots. Burton shot well from 2, but was 1-5 from deep. 15 turnovers doesn't help either when your shooting poorly.

Forget this game and move on to the next.

So Schmidt literally just threw together AN ENTIRE NEW F***ING TEAM and beat our asses. And we have three starters who combined are in their 14th years with us. Great work, Mooney. Great f***ing work. This is some pathetic shit.
Maybe now is the time we head over to the “at large NCAA bid” thread? Timing seems appropriate?

I’ll just say that I never, ever want to hear anyone on this message board ever again talk about how we shouldn’t expect to win games because we are too inexperienced, have guys who haven’t played together enough, or because we lost too much scoring and/or veteran players. Almost none of those apply to this year’s team anyway, but they all apply to Bonaventure, which kicked our ass.

To anyone with this mindset: STOP MAKING EXCUSES.

Nelson has been bad on both ends of the floor today. Far from the only one who had a bad game today but PG play has not been nearly good enough all year
? He’s a freshman who hasn’t played in 2 years. He’s averaging 10 a game, and will be on the all rookie team.

He also makes freshman mistakes. If you are expecting perfection, you should probably just find another activity.

Reactions: VT4700
So frustrating that we continue to beat ourselves this season. We would have a much better record if we just made the other team beat us. Expected a loss in this one but that was brutal to watch

Their 30-8 run in the second half really was the icing on the cake. I’m going to have to rewatch the Iowa win just to get the bad taste of this one out of my mouth.

Last edited:
Is anyone really suprised by the result? We have many advantages over Bonas program, but coaching matters. This is a very predictable result looking at CMs history. The opportunity to be tied for first and have a real winning streak headed into the VCU game just doesn't happen with CM. It's another opportunity lost and Schmidt made CM look bad in the second half. I still think we are running an offensive system that doesn't fit the personnel we have. In this offense you need 3 and preferably 4 shooters on the court at all times. We dont have that and we dont have a great point guard to overcome it this year. We have a 7 footer who can score when on the block, but he's rarely on the block. We have a great shooter yet we don't ever set a screen or run a play to get him a shot. It's just not part of the system we run. That said, I can't explain why it took CM 6 mins to get Roach into the game in the second half. Oh well, this is who Richmond Basketball is under this coach. I just don't get very upset with the results anymore because nothing is going to change.

You’re 100% right. For some reason, I’m the idiot who still does get upset because of just how maddening it is to see a talented team hand over four or five clear wins to the opponent. Yesterday was the final straw in that regard for me. A literal brand new team of rejects from places like Hartford, Holy Cross, Morgan State and St. Peter’s assembled a few months ago from scratch kicked our ass. There are no words left to describe this for me. I hope vcu kills us by 50.

You’re 100% right. For some reason, I’m the idiot who still does get upset because of just how maddening it is to see a talented team hand over four or five clear wins to the opponent. Yesterday was the final straw in that regard for me. A literal brand new team of rejects from places like Hartford, Holy Cross, Morgan State and St. Peter’s assembled a few months ago from scratch kicked our ass. There are no words left to describe this for me. I hope vcu kills us by 50.
Such a typical EL post. Every team we play sucks, and all their players suck, right? Then, if they beat us, instead of maybe saying you were wrong about them and they are pretty good, you conveniently attack our coach and team again because of course, EL could never be wrong about anything, right?

So, Banks is a reject? Yep, he only scored 27 points in a tournament win over Kentucky and helped St Peter's get to an Elite 8. And, this year he has games of 34 (7-11 from 3), 31 (6-12 from 3), and 27 (6-11 from 3), the last 2 against A-10 teams. Yep, what a reject he is.

Why is Luc a reject? He scored 16 against Notre Dame this year, 22 against Middle Tenn, 20 against Rhode Island. Some reject.

Venning? 14 and 11 with 2 blocks against Notre Dame, 23 on 10-12 shooting against St. Louis. Oh yes, I forgot, he "only" shoots 54% from the field, so he sucks, right?

Flowers? Averaged double digits each of his 3 years at Hartford. He can shoot the 3 and looks like he will be a good scorer for them. Far from a reject.

Bottom line is St Bona lost all their guys, and obviously had playing time to offer these guys. Schmidt did a real good job filling the roster with talented, yes talented, guys. You act like they will go 3-15 in the A-10 this year. They are a good team and will be a very tough out, especially at home. The game was pretty much a pick em game, yet, you once again say we should win. You pretty much think we should win every game, as if the other team never has coaches or talented players. Believe it or not, EL, the other team tries to win too. Then, after downplaying the other team leading up to the game, if we lose, it's never because the other team might be good, it is because our coach stinks. You even said yesterday that we should have beaten Clemson, who just beat Duke yesterday and is now 7-0 in the ACC. But, of course, in EL's world, we have more talent than Clemson and we lost because of coaching.

As for hoping we lose to VCU by 50......why watch? Just go away if this is what you want. We are tied for 4th in a 15 team conference right now, with both losses on the road, and this is what we get from you? Typical, but wow, some "fan" you are.

Last edited:
VT, if Schmidt coached our current roster and went up against a Mooney team totally reconstructed in a matter of months who do you believe would win?

VT, if Schmidt coached our current roster and went up against a Mooney team totally reconstructed in a matter of months who do you believe would win?
I think Schmidt and Mooney have coached against each other 22 times, and each are 11-11 against the other, so it would probably be a toss up, and looking at the history of the series, the home team would likely win.

So basically, even though we think Mooney did a good job in the portal (for him, for him b/c he was 5 years behind the curve on pursuing transfers), Schmidt really did do better. We know, Olean is the new mecca, kids dont care about anything but hoops (Dji's dad actually said academics were a factor vs playing at Iona for a HOF coach - but that is actual first hand evidence so throw it out) , so we can't expect Mooney to recruit at VCU or Dayton level, or Bona for that point.

My point, again, despite the Mooney above Richmond crowd, is that when Tarrant, or Beilein was at the helm, even if we seemed a little underhanded, I always felt we had a chance. Don't get that feeling with Moon.

So basically, even though we think Mooney did a good job in the portal (for him, for him b/c he was 5 years behind the curve on pursuing transfers), Schmidt really did do better. We know, Olean is the new mecca, kids dont care about anything but hoops (Dji's dad actually said academics were a factor vs playing at Iona for a HOF coach - but that is actual first hand evidence so throw it out) , so we can't expect Mooney to recruit at VCU or Dayton level, or Bona for that point.

My point, again, despite the Mooney above Richmond crowd, is that when Tarrant, or Beilein was at the helm, even if we seemed a little underhanded, I always felt we had a chance. Don't get that feeling with Moon.
If you are responding to me, where did I say any of this about recruiting? I think we have recruited great the past several years, and I also think we did great with transfers this year. Yes, I think we have talent, but other teams have talent too. Schmidt had a unique situation this year, and did as well as anyone with transfers. He landed a lot of experience and a lot of scoring. Other teams try to win just as much as we do, and we can't and won't win every game, even though many on here expect us to, while at the same time criticizing our coaches and players. It's so funny on here that we often hear how much our players suck, and our coaches suck, but then, we are supposed to always beat all of these other teams when we play them. Not sure what Dji has to do with anything, but, fit and basketball is the main thing with most kids who will play a lot, and a very high percentage will put basketball above location, academics, and other factors. You really don't think this?

Last edited:
I just noticed the RTD stated DJI was available to play in the Bonnies game? If that was the case - and given all thr turnovers we had and poor shooting, why not give him a shot and play him 2-4 minutes and see if he provides a spark? Maybe not in shape to play yet?

VT, I’ve been a fan of this program a lot longer than you’ve been on staff. I’ve tried to be respectful of you despite your attacks on most everyone on this board. But enough. You would be the first one making excuses if we lost with Bonaventure’s lineup to a team that had ours. And now you’re predictably doing the opposite. Goodbye.

VT, I’ve been a fan of this program a lot longer than you’ve been on staff. I’ve tried to be respectful of you despite your attacks on most everyone on this board. But enough. You would be the first one making excuses if we lost with Bonaventure’s lineup to a team that had ours. And now you’re predictably doing the opposite. Goodbye.
1. You have rarely been respectful of me.
2. I am not on staff.
3. Excuses? How so? What excuses am I making here?
4. Goodbye? I am not going anywhere, but if you are, good, because we don't need "fans" like you who hope we lose to VCU by 50.

As for hoping we lose to VCU by 50......why watch? Just go away if this is what you want. We are tied for 4th in a 15 team conference right now, with both losses on the road, and this is what we get from you? Typical, but wow, some "fan" you are.
VT, you don't get to choose which posters are worthy of being fans. I think you get ELs point. He's frustrated like 90% of Spider fans at the continued lack of winning. Yes, I know we had a nice season in 2020 and made a miracle run through the A10 tournament last year and played a great game against Iowa. But unfortunately that two week stretch is the exception over the past nearly 18 years. It's the same movie over and over on repeat which frustrates just about everyone that follows UR Basketball.

I’m still trying to figure out why our starting five is who it is. Today was as good an example as any that they are not the best five together, even if they may be our best five (dubious statement btw). 0 points in the first 5 mins most of which was played by those starters.
You and I both. Even more unexplainable is why the “starting 5” also come out to start the 2nd half when they were ineffective at the start of the 1st half. I guess one poor start isn’t good enough.

In the positive column, the Spiders actually scored to close the 1st half. It looked like there was actually something that was run in practice and executed in the game.

VT, you don't get to choose which posters are worthy of being fans. I think you get ELs point. He's frustrated like 90% of Spider fans at the continued lack of winning. Yes, I know we had a nice season in 2020 and made a miracle run through the A10 tournament last year and played a great game against Iowa. But unfortunately that two week stretch is the exception over the past nearly 18 years. It's the same movie over and over on repeat which frustrates just about everyone that follows UR Basketball.
No I don't, but this is a message board full of opinions, and i can have an opinion that anyone who hopes we lost to VCU by 50 is not a fan.

Continued lack of winning? LOL. 2 week stretch? Yes, we just won the A-10 tourney AND a 1st round game in the dance last season, but we are 72-37 (37-20 in the A-10) our last 3+ seasons, and we are 3-2 IC and tied for 4th in a 15 team conference this season. What a hilarious post. You are basically saying, "yes, I know we have won a lot lately, but........90% are frustrated because of a lack of winning."

You and I both. Even more unexplainable is why the “starting 5” also come out to start the 2nd half when they were ineffective at the start of the 1st half. I guess one poor start isn’t good enough.

In the positive column, the Spiders actually scored to close the 1st half. It looked like there was actually something that was run in practice and executed in the game.
Maybe ineffective offensively, but certainly not ineffective defensively. St Bona didn't score their first points until 5 1/2 minutes in, and that was on a technical. Without the T, it would have been a 4-0 start with that lineup, and in the 2nd half, we outscored them 4-3 the first 3 minutes before subbing. So, no question we did not score much, but it was still a combined 8-3 in our favor without the T with the starters at the beginning of each half. I'm not sure I'm ready to change the starting 5, and we use so many different lineups throughout the game, I'm not sure it matters that much, but if I did make a change, i would probably start Bigelow instead of Quinn.

Last edited:
Why does VT get to go at every poster he has an issue with and never gets put in time out?

Just curious.
Time out for what exactly? If we had time outs for going after people on here, there would be about 3 people left after putting in time out the ones who consistently get on me.

No I don't, but this is a message board full of opinions, and i can have an opinion that anyone who hopes we lost to VCU by 50 is not a fan.

Continued lack of winning? LOL. 2 week stretch? Yes, we just won the A-10 tourney AND a 1st round game in the dance last season, but we are 72-37 (37-20 in the A-10) our last 3+ seasons, and we are 3-2 IC and tied for 4th in a 15 team conference this season. What a hilarious post. You are basically saying, "yes, I know we have won a lot lately, but........90% are frustrated because of a lack of winning."

Yea, we don't win enough. Here are the only stats that matter:
0 for 17 Regular season championships
3 for 17 NCAA tournament
2 for 17 A10 tournament

Simply not good enough for a serious basketball program.

And we shouldn't celebrate being in 4th place. Thats a loser mentality.

3 for 17 NCAA tournament
2 for 17 A10 tournament

Not celebrating. But, unlike many on here, just not throwing things, breaking things, being miserable all day, and hating on our players and coaches either.

Tied for 4th…isn’t it like 5 way tie so we’re right in the middle of the conference?

I want to win. I think we can win. My frustration is that we pay a whole lot to win a modest amount.

Dollars spent vs NCAA game appearances over the past decade in the A10. Where do we fall with that ratio? That’s really the math that matters.

Tied for 4th…isn’t it like 5 way tie so we’re right in the middle of the conference?

I want to win. I think we can win. My frustration is that we pay a whole lot to win a modest amount.

Dollars spent vs NCAA game appearances over the past decade in the A10. Where do we fall with that ratio? That’s really the math that matters.
I think we’ve learned the only math that matters is the math that can be twisted into showing how incredible a coach Mooney is

? He’s a freshman who hasn’t played in 2 years. He’s averaging 10 a game, and will be on the all rookie team.

He also makes freshman mistakes. If you are expecting perfection, you should probably just find another activity.
I think to be fair, it’s an accurate assessment. We have pretty consistent production at the 2-4 spots for the most part, we seem to swing based on how we perform at the PG and C most games. Fairly anecdotal statement, but when we don’t get much production out of one or both of those guys, we don’t seem terribly good at overcoming it.

Objectively, JayNel had a game to forget yesterday. 6pts, 0-4 from 3, 28% overall, 4TO to 2ast, 0 steals. Perhaps to be expected from a freshmen but we won’t many games at that clip. Not sure there’s a much better alternative.

3 for 17 NCAA tournament
2 for 17 A10 tournament

Not to mention this is a weak year for the conference. Currently with a NET ranking of 12.

Here are some games Jacob had for us as a freshman PG:

Georgetown: 32 minutes, 0 points, 1 assist, 2 turnovers.
Wake Forest: 29 minutes, 0 points, 3 assists, 1 turnover.
Duquesne, 42 minutes, 0 points, 2 assists, 2 turnovers.

No question we likely need good PG play to win. The position is so important, I would say most teams need good PG play to win, but I think we need to be a little more patient with Nelson. I think he is having a pretty good year so far. He has had a few too many turnovers, so hopefully, he can clean some of those up, but he is a good one, and I'm glad we have him. Our whole team could do better from a turnover standpoint, and many are careless. I like our chances to win when we protect the ball, and I have hope we can clean this up the 2nd half of the season.

Reactions: gcarter52
Not celebrating. But, unlike many on here, just not throwing things, breaking things, being miserable all day, and hating on our players and coaches either.
Vast majority of posts don't hate on players, they may point out issues with their play which is fair game. Also, may I remind you of your litany of posts on Dji.

Now coaches are well compensated employees and are fair game. And really it is just Mooney, who has the personality of wallpaper paste and whom you could write a novel about on the pitfalls of not accepting responsibility and why that does not make you a good leader. Is it too much to ask that our highly compensated head coach accept responsibility and learn from past mistakes on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT