ADVERTISEMENT

St. Bonaventure

Yes sirrrrr! Great grind it out win. My kind of effort! All set to give Bigs player of the game, and he definitely earned it - but going to go with Bigs/Dji Co player of the game. Lot of guys stepped up with superb efforts, but those two played my kind of game. Sdad, get Dji some advil and an ice bath. Loved his effort all over the court. Super. Quinn made a ton of those 10 footers, and Walz gave some great minutes. Very good start to A10 play.
I’ll second this post.

Best game of the year. Finally got one on a good team.

Good efforts by several players. Lot of aggressive play tonight. I really feel we do better when playing aggressively with this talent as opposed to running offense down to last few seconds.

Also, we finally saw the impact of offensive rebounding. It’s an impact thing. Maybe Mooney heard my complaints one too many times about lack of. This type of rebounding effort pays dividends.

One thing - I do think there were several lazy passes that turned into turnovers. Passes can’t be taken for granted when each possession matters in a game like vs Bonnie’s.

Special kudos to Dji, as he continues to show why he’s a starter. The guy was living on the floor…just fearless of hard action and taking it to the big guy. I mentioned couple weeks ago it looked like we could count on him now for good amt of points, and he’s delivering. Great game.

Yes sirrrrr! Great grind it out win. My kind of effort! All set to give Bigs player of the game, and he definitely earned it - but going to go with Bigs/Dji Co player of the game. Lot of guys stepped up with superb efforts, but those two played my kind of game. Sdad, get Dji some advil and an ice bath. Loved his effort all over the court. Super. Quinn made a ton of those 10 footers, and Walz gave some great minutes. Very good start to A10 play.
He absolutely going to need it 😀 I’m still waiting for him to come to car now from the ice bath. I thought the team played their butts off. He’s still working on his FTs but the ones he hit at the end were clutch. Very proud of him tonight. As well as the team. 🕷️🏀

Great, great game. Defense was intense, guys made plays, crowd was into it and coaches made good decisions throughout the game. Feel like this can be this team’s identity, especially when DLo returns - ball hawking guards, rangy, athletic wings and big guys in middle. If team can get more consistent perimeter shooting, that could be a recipe for some wins. I was very impressed across the board today, as this is the kind of game Bona usually throws at UR. Great win.

Good result for us tonight. Vcu loses 1 but that in turn increases our odds Sat imo. Originally saw this game as a L for us but I’ve changed to a W. Much rather face them coming off a win. Bonnies r pretty good but I don’t think they’ll shoot it as well, & most teams haven’t vs. UR esp the 3 ball. Got it out of system tonight. I don’t think they can pull off the double double winning back to back in Richmond 2 years in a row over vcu & us either. Credit if they do.

We’ve also had all week to run scout. While Schmidt will have ‘em prepared the bona players might come in a little over confident too after tonight. & way too many distractions down at the Westin. Plus u know u always win home games as a tiny inconsequential favorite. all the external factors r really now in our favor w tonight’s result contributing.

Richmond mortal lock.

Mortal lock baby! I don't bust it out much, this one just had all the indications.

Spids played hard, if they could ever find the outside shooting touch we'd be a A10 contender. Fan2011 told me it was nothing to be concerned about after VMI but same concern exists as it did game 1. The guys are starting to get into a solid rotation/rhythm. I knew Dji had complete trust now from the Moon man after he didn't come out after the behind the back pass turnover in 1st half. It will be interesting to see what return of DLo does, obvioius candidate is Tyne most affected but there will be some other tricke effect. The opportunity to get off to a very good A10 start is there, this is where the urgency from Moon comes in.

Second many of the comments here - tough, composed performance by the team tonight. Great team defense, clutch shots at the end of the shot clock, great atmosphere. A couple of my quick thoughts:

- Dji played his best game as a Spider. Stat sheet looks pretty good but will not come close to telling the story of the impact he had tonight. He was everywhere and just made great basketball plays. His hustle and hard work stood out in a big way.

- Harris continues to prove a valuable transfer pickup. He's showing why he's played so many minutes in his career - just a hard working guy that does a lot of little things.

- Quinn has really improved that 10 footer lean in shot. Played solid d tonight too with a pretty tough assignment.

Great evening at the Robins Center and proud of the guys for a 1-0 conference start.

Meant to call out Bigs' performance too - 13 points, 13 boards, 3 steals, 2 assists, no turnovers, awesome game.

And I knew St Bonaventure was having a solid season, but didn't realize they were #55 in Net ranking - best win of the year so far. Hopefully we can get over the hump on the road this week to keep things headed in the right direction.

Incredible defensive effort tonight
Outstanding defense. All 8 that played were great defensively. King, Tyne, and Dji set the tone with their outstanding on the ball defense, and Neal was great against their big and got some key blocks. Walz did great off the bench. Bigs was awesome and we need that type of game from him with scoring and rebounding. Love what Harris brings, and Roche looked good tonight, and when, not if but when, he gets his 3 ball going, we will be that much better.

So, bottom line is we got positive impacts from everyone tonight and that is a great way to start conference play. In addition to the excellent D, we took care of the ball again, we rebounded well (love the determination from Bigs!), and just stayed aggressive (great game Dji!), and in attack mode.

5-21 from 3 is a little worrisome, but if we play D like this, and maintain a 2nd half lead like we did, there is not as much pressure to make 3s, and we can overcome that like we did tonight.

I’ll second this post.

Best game of the year. Finally got one on a good team.

Good efforts by several players. Lot of aggressive play tonight. I really feel we do better when playing aggressively with this talent as opposed to running offense down to last few seconds.

Also, we finally saw the impact of offensive rebounding. It’s an impact thing. Maybe Mooney heard my complaints one too many times about lack of. This type of rebounding effort pays dividends.

One thing - I do think there were several lazy passes that turned into turnovers. Passes can’t be taken for granted when each possession matters in a game like vs Bonnie’s.

Special kudos to Dji, as he continues to show why he’s a starter. The guy was living on the floor…just fearless of hard action and taking it to the big guy. I mentioned couple weeks ago it looked like we could count on him now for good amt of points, and he’s delivering. Great game.
After one of those lazy passes, Bigelow grabbed the guys going off for media TO and jumped especially the guards about taking care of the ball. In a defensive game like this to just have six to is pretty amazing. This game also gave us good practice for havoc

Reactions: urfan1
He absolutely going to need it 😀 I’m still waiting for him to come to car now from the ice bath. I thought the team played their butts off. He’s still working on his FTs but the ones he hit at the end were clutch. Very proud of him tonight. As well as the team. 🕷️🏀
Notice he had rib protector on. Hope nothing cracked.

The last 29:30 of the game we out scored them 52-33, which is very impressive. In Kenpom our predicted record improved by one win to 19-12. Unfortunately they also predict our next 8 games are going to be very difficult. We are only favored to win 3 of the next eight.

Sandbridge I made a comment to an acquaintance, that I thought Tyme was a good freshman. One I didn’t
expect.
His comment- yeah but he missed the first shot on a one and one.
There are some people that just like to be negative
Never speak to him again.

Yeah, defense is dead at the Seagull Center too. They play none.
They don’t like this coach. He’s not like Rhodes or Shaka. Whole new system, whole new group of players and barely into conference play and they’ve already turned on him. We’ve been 18 years with this garbage and they’ve turned on him after 12 games.

It is pretty short-sighed on their part, considering it's his first year and all. He'll probably be fine, but hopefully they keep losing at home and their fanbase runs him off before he has that chance.

This was surprising to see coming from you. From others on here, yes, but would not expect this type of rude reply from you. Anyway, I watch our games and don't need to rely on box scores. Yes, we will sometimes give up open 3s..shocker, every team does. If 3 point shots were always guarded close, do you think any team out there would shoot even 30% from 3?

We do not consistently lag off 3 point shooters. We just don't. Sometimes you give up something to prevent something else. That is often what playing defense in sports is about. What about when we make 3s, many of which are open looks? Is it always bad defense? Always? I guess you, like others on here, think it is all luck when teams shoot poorly against us? I know the theme all too well. When teams shoot poorly against us, it is luck, but when they shoot well, it's Mooney's fault. And, yes, this board sucks.
Tone was a little off--was meant to be more /s than rude.

The point is that box scores don't tell you everything. We've had games -- regardless of the opponent's shooting percentage -- where we've been giving up wide open threes.

Was out of town, so didn't get to see the game. But yes was pleasantly surprised. All around good games from everyone. Interested to see if this transfers to the road now and how Mooney integrates D-Lo back into a rotation that is playing pretty well together right now.

Reactions: urfan1
For those that cannot see, it is a pleasure to watch Dlo AND Soulis cheer on and encourage their teammates from the bench,
I feel our bench has always been terrific with support throughout the Mooney era. that's a culture thing and the team buys in.

this may be our best defensive team since Wainwright, and it gets better when DLo is back. we're strong across the floor. Quinn is much improved defensively since he got here. Bigelow is a man possessed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT