ADVERTISEMENT

A10 Game 5 - At St Bonaventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schmidt will have them ready and Olean is a tough place to win, but I think there is little doubt who is the more talented and experienced team here and who has the best player on the court and that would be us. This is a game that if we want to be a Top 4 seed, we need to win.

Davidson was a really nice road W, but lets be honest, we always win at Davidson. If this team wants to make a statement they are going to have to start winning games, where we have don't it recently. A young inexperienced St. Bonnie team would send that message.
Agree with pretty much all of this. Only thing I would be unsure of is the more talented team because I haven't seen St Bona play much and don't know a lot about these transfers yet. It looks like they could be some real talented additions they added. But, sure, we could be the more talented team, but that could be countered by them playing at home. The line will likely be close to even, so its hard to say either team "should" win. St Bona could end up with the best home record in the A-10, so I'm not sure any team "should" win there. I don't think any team "should" beat us at our place either. Doesn't mean we will win them all at home. Can we win at St Bona? Of course. I guess I am just thrown off by the "lots of reasons we should win" talk. With all the criticism we hear from EL about our players and coaches during and after games, it's just funny that pre game gets here and it's always "we should win".

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
And, did Grant really take longer 2 point shots???

Now I don't have those analytics but it feels like Golden took a solid amount of mid range 2s. Lot from side, some from elbow. Relative to our team. My guess is he was #2 on the team last year next to Burton as far as longer 2s.

Richmond's basketball budget was 27% more than SBU as of last year - about $4.90m vs $3.85m - I believe.

It snowed on April 27 and October 17 in Olean last year.

We're still #facting, right?
?? Some people like snow. It snows in Richmond too. You must be surprised Syracuse ever gets anyone. Or, how about Buffalo? They had some good teams recently. Why isn't Coastal Carolina top ten? Shouldn't they land anyone they want with the beach right there? I would think lots of players all over the country rarely leave their campus. They get sold on coaches, fit, style of play, and what everything basketball looks like. Who is selling guys on the city? And, what is it in Richmond you think our players did that they couldn't do elsewhere?

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Now I don't have those analytics but it feels like Golden took a solid amount of mid range 2s. Lot from side, some from elbow. Relative to our team. My guess is he was #2 on the team last year next to Burton as far as longer 2s.
Maybe, but I sure do remember a huge majority at the rim. How about Nate? He shot 55%. Wonder if EL thinks that is bad too?

Maybe, but I sure do remember a huge majority at the rim. How about Nate? He shot 55%. Wonder if EL thinks that is bad too?

Yeah I wasn't commenting on %. And certainly Golden took majority near rim, but just think he had lot more than most big men outside that. Cayo's were all at rim, minus maybe a couple exceptions.

Reactions: VT4700
Mitchell Robinson is currently shooting 72%. Pretty darn impressive, but his primary shot is the 2 handed dunk.

• Wow
Reactions: plydogg
Former Colonial Yuta Watanabe is currently shooting 51.9% from deep too. Too bad he didn’t do that for GW

Torvik's site has close 2 and far 2 data, although I'm not sure what the distance break is. In terms of far 2 attempts last season, Golden (54 made / 125 attempted, 43.2% shooting) was just behind Burton (40/127, 31.5%). I was surprised to see Cayo was next (35/87, 40.2%), ahead of Gilyard (25/68, 36.8%), and that Cayo's far 2 shooting % was better than Burton and Gilyard. What's considered "far 2" must start closer than I figured it would. Notably, Burton is currently shooting just 30.3% from far 2 this season as well.

In terms of mix, last season 61.5% of Golden's 2 attempts were considered close and 38.5% far. This season 61.8% of Quinn's 2 attempts have been considered close and 38.2% far, while Venning on the Bonnies has shot 57.8% of his 2 attempts from close and 42.2% from far.

This season Quinn is 40/55 (72.7%) from close 2 and is 16/34 (47.1%) from far 2. Venning on the Bonnies is 53/85 (62.4%) from close 2 and 28/62 (45.2%) from far 2. Burton, Quinn, Bigelow, and Grace are all at least 70% from close 2, so Venning's shooting % is relatively low from close – Golden ended about a couple percent higher from close 2 last season, at 64.5%. Although Venning is now shooting better than Davidson's Mennenga this season.

Data source: bottom of team pages, https://barttorvik.com/team.php?year=2023&team=Richmond

Torvik's site has close 2 and far 2 data, although I'm not sure what the distance break is. In terms of far 2 attempts last season, Golden (54 made / 125 attempted, 43.2% shooting) was just behind Burton (40/127, 31.5%). I was surprised to see Cayo was next (35/87, 40.2%), ahead of Gilyard (25/68, 36.8%), and that Cayo's far 2 shooting % was better than Burton and Gilyard. What's considered "far 2" must start closer than I figured it would. Notably, Burton is currently shooting just 30.3% from far 2 this season as well.

In terms of mix, last season 61.5% of Golden's 2 attempts were considered close and 38.5% far. This season 61.8% of Quinn's 2 attempts have been considered close and 38.2% far, while Venning on the Bonnies has shot 57.8% of his 2 attempts from close and 42.2% from far.

This season Quinn is 40/55 (72.7%) from close 2 and is 16/34 (47.1%) from far 2. Venning on the Bonnies is 53/85 (62.4%) from close 2 and 28/62 (45.2%) from far 2. Burton, Quinn, Bigelow, and Grace are all at least 70% from close 2, so Venning's shooting % is relatively low from close – Golden ended about a couple percent higher from close 2 last season, at 64.5%. Although Venning is now shooting better than Davidson's Mennenga this season.

Data source: bottom of team pages, https://barttorvik.com/team.php?year=2023&team=Richmond
The difference between close and far 2FG in stat feeds is usually defined as layup/dunk range vs everything else.

FG% falls off really quickly and goes from 80% at the rim to 40% about 5 feet out and levels off from there out to the 3 point line. That is why “close 2s” are just the 2s right at the basket, all shots 5+ feet out are the same quality, shots within 1 or 2 feet are much higher quality statistically.
fgp_by_distance.png

Last edited:
EL, thoughts on Nate shooting 55% for his career?
Glad you asked! It was certainly productive. Given the type of style he played, I would have liked to see it closer to 60%, because he basically was a back-to-the-basket guy. But he also wasn’t 6-10 like Venning.

The reason Venning is not that worrisome to me is because at 6-10, he should be making a higher percentage of shots. He’s either taking too many jumpers and missing, or he’s not taking enough close shots… or he IS taking enough but missing half of them.

Schmidt won an NCAA play-in game against UCLA. Bonas is a tough place to recruit to but it has an avid fanbase, a long history of success and is the only show in town.

I was born in Olean. My entire immediate family was born in Olean and my ancestors lived in Cattaraugus and Allegheny counties for decades. My dad got his MA from SBU and one of my aunts worked there for more than 30 years.

The area isn't for everyone, but it has its appeal. And yes, it snows. But it also doesn't get 95 degrees and 95 percent humidity in the summer.

Schmidt won an NCAA play-in game against UCLA. Bonas is a tough place to recruit to but it has an avid fanbase, a long history of success and is the only show in town.

I was born in Olean. My entire immediate family was born in Olean and my ancestors lived in Cattaraugus and Allegheny counties for decades. My dad got his MA from SBU and one of my aunts worked there for more than 30 years.

The area isn't for everyone, but it has its appeal. And yes, it snows. But it also doesn't get 95 degrees and 95 percent humidity in the summer.
My mistake, you are correct. St Bona did have a nice win over UCLA in the dance. I have edited the numbers from earlier to give Schmidt a tourney win. Good catch. Thanks.

I have seen Bonny play portions of 3 games. Unless I'm going senile earlier than expected Spiders >>> Bonnies talent wise. Just having a Burton tells me that. That said believe Schmidt has done a decent job getting them where they are with lower than A10 league transfers and couple good looking frosh. Plus just going by Kenpom predicted to go 12-6 while Bonnies at 8-10.

Don't believe a better chance to get that win up there than today. Would be nice to be tied at top of A10 at 4-1 after those guys stole one at Dayton last night. Expectations is watching two 5-1 teams on ESPN2 come 1/20/23. Luckier than me are the ones seeing it in person!

Reactions: VT4700
Where Bonnies are Strong
  • 3 Point Defense: Bonnies allow only 5.7 3's a game (29th in the country) on 29% shooting (21st in the country), could be simply luck of the draw, but likely they press out to deny on the perimeter. Look to see Mooney counter this with Quinn down low early and Burton cutting to the basket to draw them back inside and open op the 3 for Burton and Roche later in the game. I expect the game to be close at the half.
  • Chad Venning Inside: I expect Bonnies will similarly test us early inside with Venning. He's their leading scorer at 16.9 points a game and is a decent rebounder at 6 ft 10. Bonnies don't shoot the 3 well, but look for Venning to attract attention to give players like Daryl Banks (their team leader) and Moses Flowers (off the bench) to get some looks.

Where Bonnies are Weak
  • Overall Scoring: Bonnies are 291st in the country with 67.6 ppg. Bonnies have never been a prolific scoring team under Schmidt, but this is a new low. Shooting around 48% inside the arc is brutal, and other than Venning and Banks, they don't have any true prolific scorers. They're clearly in a rebuilding phase.
  • Shooting Free Throws and Allowing Free Throws: Bonnies are 302nd in the country in both free throws attempted and free throws scored. They also are 333rd in free throws scored and 331st in free throws attempted by their opponents. We should be getting to the line a lot. If we shoot 63% at the line again, we could be in trouble and keep this game closer than it needs to be.
Prediction

This should be a low scoring affair, and I think both teams will struggle in phases. Bonnies will lead by a slim margin at the half, but Spiders snatch the win with a strong first 15 minutes in the second half. 66-63 Spiders

Reactions: plydogg
No streaming for this game? TV crews can’t make it to Olean?

Oh it is on nbcsports

Horrible shooting. And the officials were told if the Bonnies don’t win you can’t leave Orlean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT