ADVERTISEMENT

A10 Game 5 - At St Bonaventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
You (plural) aren't okay with the results. I get it. You aren't okay with a 24-7 season, an A-10 tourney title, and a dance win over Iowa the last 3 seasons because of what happened in several of the 14 seasons before that. Seems silly to focus more on the first 14 years than the last 3 when discussing the shape of a program right now, but par for the course on here.
Is this season going to be like the last 3 or the first 14?

You (plural) aren't okay with the results. I get it. You aren't okay with a 24-7 season, an A-10 tourney title, and a dance win over Iowa the last 3 seasons because of what happened in several of the 14 seasons before that. Seems silly to focus more on the first 14 years than the last 3 when discussing the shape of a program right now, but par for the course on here.
Lets focus on last year and this one. We finished 6th in A10 last year with 3 NBA level players on roster! 6th! Last year was a disaster until the improbable miracle run through the A10 tournament and a great win against Iowa. Again, while fun, that two week period is the exception. Can we consistently qualify for the NCAA tournament finishing 6th and winning the A10 tournament? Of course not. Half way through this year, we have reverted back to form with a 10-8 record including yet another embarrassing loss to a lesser program in W/M. No matter how you slice it, we don't win enough.

Last edited:
? He’s a freshman who hasn’t played in 2 years. He’s averaging 10 a game, and will be on the all rookie team.

He also makes freshman mistakes. If you are expecting perfection, you should probably just find another activity.
In conference play he has 14 turnovers and 6 assists. His scoring average is not the problem, it's the turnovers that have killed us (not just from him, from the whole team - just more evident with him since he's the PG and supposed to take care of the ball).

Lets focus on last year and this one. We finished 6th in A10 last year with 3 NBA level players on roster! 6th! Last year was a disaster until the unprobable miracle run through the A10 tournament and a great win against Iowa. Again, while fun, that two week period is the exception. Can we consistently qualify for the NCAA tournament finishing 6th and winning the A10 tournament? Of course not. Half way through this year, we have reverted back to form with a 10-8 record including yet another embarrassing loss to a lesser program in W/M. No matter how you slice it, we don't win enough.
So, you would have rather had a better regular season, finishing maybe 3rd in the A-10, before losing in the A-10 tourney and being NIT bound? Allow me to disagree. I wonder, after we beat Davidson for the A-10 title, did you celebrate or did you say, "yes, but our regular season sucked"? Same with the Iowa game. When all your friends who know you went to Richmond say, "Wow, great win over Iowa", did you agree and talk positively about us, or did you say, "yes, but we sucked during the regular season"? And, yet another post where the 24-7 year did not exist. Amazing.

No matter how you slice it, we don't win enough.
37-20 in the A-10 the last 3+ seasons. OOC wins over Wisconsin, Kentucky, and Iowa. An incredibly fun and amazing 24-7 season. An awesome A-10 tourney title. A win in the dance over a hot Iowa team that some picked to go to the final four. I guess we have different reasons for "winning enough". Sorry you and others are so miserable with that "lack of winning" there.

4700 - will say that following our NCAA appearance - I saw a buddy of mine that went to Georgetown. First thing he said was that Richmond got their Mooney poison pill - like Georgetown did with their miraculous BE tourney run in 20-21, the Patrick Ewing poison pill. So yes, most fans were excited. I know I was hopeful that Mooney had turned the corner. But I am also afraid that we got our Mooney poison pill. Take this is tastes great, but don't complain in 3 years when you finish 7th in the A10. I am resigned to the fact that we will have Mooney for a long time. If we can be in discussion for an NCAA birth next season, that will be a very good sign. But I am afraid we have a relaxed Mooney for the next few seasons.

In conference play he has 14 turnovers and 6 assists. His scoring average is not the problem, it's the turnovers that have killed us (not just from him, from the whole team - just more evident with him since he's the PG and supposed to take care of the ball).
No question he needs to take care of the ball better. But, he is our best option there, and if we make a run this year and peak at the right time for the A-10 tourney, it will be with Nelson playing his 30+ minutes at the point. He gives us needed scoring, and 3 point threat. We can win a game here and there with little scoring at PG, but to win the A-10 tourney, we will need a game or two like he had against Davidson. We don't want to replace a scorer who is turning it over too much with a non scorer who turns it over too much.

There was a lack of winning in the past, but once the administration decided to extend his contract - you must now forget that. That contract extension is a reward for the past 2-3 years, not the previous 10. You must reset the clock.

And in reality - with Mooney's deal now being through 26-27, it is safe to say the University will not think of doing anything to his job until at least 25-26 season. At that point they will either extend him - or let the deal run out and not fire him and pay his buyout. So we can stop discussing it until 25-26 season.

Reactions: whampas
I do think Mooney is better than Ewing, but that is the same sentiment - Mooney bought time, but has he changed?
Good comparison. Ewing won the tourney and got to the NCAA, then last year was miserable. The difference is that Georgetown will likely be willing to eat the buyout (currently reported at nearly 15 million if they fire him after this season) rather than endure the product he is putting out there for 4 more years. But I think UR would be willing to let that deal run out.

Not to mention - there is a difference between finishing .500 and dead last, and Georgetown is dead last.

4700 - will say that following our NCAA appearance - I saw a buddy of mine that went to Georgetown. First thing he said was that Richmond got their Mooney poison pill - like Georgetown did with their miraculous BE tourney run in 20-21, the Patrick Ewing poison pill. So yes, most fans were excited. I know I was hopeful that Mooney had turned the corner. But I am also afraid that we got our Mooney poison pill. Take this is tastes great, but don't complain in 3 years when you finish 7th in the A10. I am resigned to the fact that we will have Mooney for a long time. If we can be in discussion for an NCAA birth next season, that will be a very good sign. But I am afraid we have a relaxed Mooney for the next few seasons.
Very fair post, 23. I don't think Mooney has relaxed though. I think he always wants to win as bad as anyone. He loves his players so much he will always want it for them, so if he coasts he knows that hurts his players. That won't happen.

Good comparison. Ewing won the tourney and got to the NCAA, then last year was miserable. The difference is that Georgetown will likely be willing to eat the buyout (currently reported at nearly 15 million if they fire him after this season) rather than endure the product he is putting out there for 4 more years. But I think UR would be willing to let that deal run out.

Not to mention - there is a difference between finishing .500 and dead last, and Georgetown is dead last.
Yep, I definitely think Mooney is better than Ewing, and that can be a double edged sword, good enough to have a .55 winning percentage most years and keep admin happy indefinitely. At least Georgetown knows what they have now. Again, if we can be an NCAA team next year, that will prove Mooney as a good investment in my mind.

Lets focus on last year and this one. We finished 6th in A10 last year with 3 NBA level players on roster! 6th! Last year was a disaster until the unprobable miracle run through the A10 tournament and a great win against Iowa. Again, while fun, that two week period is the exception. Can we consistently qualify for the NCAA tournament finishing 6th and winning the A10 tournament? Of course not. Half way through this year, we have reverted back to form with a 10-8 record including yet another embarrassing loss to a lesser program in W/M. No matter how you slice it, we don't win enough.
You had it going... then you said "unprobable". And now I can't get Ralph Wiggum out of my head.

I hear you, and don't disagree.

It would be more illuminating to see turnover % as opposed to pure numbers, since he has the ball in his hands a whole lot in our offense. I don't have a Kenpom subscription, but it would be helpful for context.

Reactions: Spider2020
I hear you, and don't disagree.

It would be more illuminating to see turnover % as opposed to pure numbers, since he has the ball in his hands a whole lot in our offense. I don't have a Kenpom subscription, but it would be helpful for context.
Player/TO%/A%
DB/31.9/19.8
MR/30.8/8.6
AG/21.2/9.3
JN/20.2/17.6 (A10/27.0/9.9)
MG/18.9/21.4
NQ/17.4/30.6
TB/12.6/10.9
IB/12.2/7.9
JR/5.7/2.3 (only a split second to TO the ball, lol)

Reactions: kneepadmckinney
In conference play he has 14 turnovers and 6 assists.
That's not good and appears to be regressing. Believed Nelson would be looking better at this point. Those numbers for Jacob's entire frosh A10 season are 30 turnovers and 83 assists. Expect JN to improve but a way to go to match JG.

JN getting the same amount of points though JG Kenpom ORating for 18 games was 112 while presently JN sits at 86. Plus JN has 1 steal in 5 games while JG had 13 through first 5. Don't believe practice will help with that but expect Nelson's numbers has to improve and surprised only getting 1 so far.

Reactions: Spider2020
That's not good and appears to be regressing. Believed Nelson would be looking better at this point. Those numbers for Jacob's entire frosh A10 season are 30 turnovers and 83 assists. Expect JN to improve but a way to go to match JG.

JN getting the same amount of points though JG Kenpom ORating for 18 games was 112 while presently JN sits at 86. Plus JN has 1 steal in 5 games while JG had 13 through first 5. Don't believe practice will help with that but expect Nelson's numbers has to improve and surprised only getting 1 so far.
Didn’t have access to those numbers but they don’t surprise me. I know Nelson will need time to grow and I don’t think he’s a terrible player. I just wish we didn’t need him to play 30 minutes a night for us while going through these growing pains.

And for the “we don’t have another true PG” crowd, why not? We lost an all time great PG this spring - I understand the plan was for Nelson to step up, but how about grabbing a transfer PG and letting Nelson get 15-20 minutes a night instead of 30+?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT