ADVERTISEMENT

A-10 Tournament

PASpider

Star
Apr 13, 2007
Tough draw as the #1 seed. We either get George Mason who just embarrassed us, or St. Joe’s who has a lot of offensive fire power. Hope it’s not an early upset as we need to at least make the finals to have a shot at a bid.

Reactions: WCUR11 and urfan1
Let's be real. I am with you, I think if we make it to finals and lose, I feel like team deserves the bid - but 100% (or close to that) bracketologists had us out BEFORE losing to Mason, so I think the only path is to win the tourney.

I feel like the adjustments Boston College made coming out of half time (and outscored us by 11 2nd half), which Mooney did not re-adjust - was a big pivot point early in the season if we were to have a "Bracketologist Approved" profile.

It's all water under the bridge now. We have seen the "Jordan (King) Rules" :) down the stretch. Time for Mooney to use this break and re-focus and strategize. Win 3 and in.

Tough draw as the #1 seed. We either get George Mason who just embarrassed us, or St. Joe’s who has a lot of offensive fire power. Hope it’s not an early upset as we need to at least make the finals to have a shot at a bid.
We are not getting a bid, especially after losing to GMU. We gotta win this tourney to get in.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
I'm not ruling anything out yet. Let's say we beat down Mason first and then vcu. We would avenge our worst loss of the year and win 2 of 3 from vcu, basically avenging that first loss in an even bigger way. Then we lose by a couple points in the title game to Dayton.

We would be 7-7 in Q1/2 games, we would have gone 17-4 against Atlantic 10 competition in the eighth-best league in the nation and lost the title game to a team everyone assumes is a lock. We would have a win against UNLV, a top-75 team from a 6-bid league, and we'd be 2-3 against the top 75. We'd have one of the best road records of bubble teams (7-5) and would have played 4 games against top-40 teams.

In this scenario, Loyola obviously would have been eliminated earlier than us, so they would officially have no at-large chance, and no one else in the league does either.

We don't know how the committee views the A10, but the metrics don't lie, so unless they are idiots (quite possible, I admit), the league stands on its own and we were the best team over 18 games.

A bunch of other bubble teams from multi-bid would have to take a dive in the first round of their tournaments, too, and all the bubble teams from one-bid leagues would have to win their leagues. Obviously a long shot, but there's a shot.

Why don’t we just win the whole thing? Stop with the losers mindset of assuming we’re not gonna win and hoping the committee takes us. I fear the players/coaches are doing the same. We’re good enough to win it, act like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spiders4ever
We have to win the whole thing. Hate to admit that but that is reality. Whatever sliver of a chance we had before the Mason game is gone now.

Are we still using Lunardi? Our scheduling was subpar this year. And yes, I understand that we need to win the games that are in our schedule, but there weren’t enough opportunities to get Q1 wins.

Reactions: urfan1
Are we still using Lunardi? Our scheduling was subpar this year. And yes, I understand that we need to win the games that are in our schedule, but there weren’t enough opportunities to get Q1 wins.

Also too many 300+.

Nobody seems to know if Lunardi is still on the payroll. I don't think anyone within the athletic dept. wants to say.

Why don’t we just win the whole thing? Stop with the losers mindset of assuming we’re not gonna win and hoping the committee takes us. I fear the players/coaches are doing the same. We’re good enough to win it, act like it.

I don't think that's a loser mentality. We want to be a program that can earn at large bids. The league tourneys can be a crapshoot and who gets on a roll etc. It's extremely important and yes, we need a mindset to win it. But not having to completely rely on that and having a legit ability to talk about what a loss does would be considered a good thing.

We were a lot closer than many think. and there were some media folks too who though the same. It's not just some UR message board posters. But that was b4 the Goo Moo loss. I'll never understand why some viewed that game as it didn't matter. Now some of the advantages we had r gone. We have to be all in on winning 3 in a row.

Yep u never know what can happen in the conference tournament. Watching JMU now and kid Xaverian Brown averages 6 points ppg and so far has 19 in the first half just playing out if his mind. Hopefully we can get some unexpected positive performances ourselves.

It’s not a losers mindset. We all want to win the tournament. The reason we’re lamenting some after the GMU game is it was a shot to our at large chances that could have been real, and I’d take any opportunity to see this team continue to play meaningful basketball. Really love this team but it would be a shame to miss out on NCAAs. Having even a slight chance on selection Sunday in the case we lose in A10 final would be nice

8 minutes in and Davidson leads Fordham, 7–5. Davidson has 6 (edit: now 7) turnovers, Fordham is shooting 2-for-15.

Not sure why I'm punishing myself watching this.

Davidson will come out of this one and beat VCU, I predict. And hopefully UMass too...

Bobby Buckets with the three at the buzzer to give Davidson a 27–19 lead at the half. Imagine if they didn't also have 13 turnovers.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Davidson's 13-point lead is gone. All tied up at 52 with 3:30 to go.

Davidson and Fordham are heading to OT to kick off the tourney. Huffman had a chance to win it from half court at the buzzer

Another ugly shooting display in game two with GW and La Salle both under 30%. GW getting to the line is the difference so far.

Edit: Well, now there is no difference. All tied up at 36 as La Salle has started hitting some threes.

McKillop probably has next year and that is about it. He has two young solid players in Durkin and Bailey, but they will need help at the guard position - likely through the portal.

Older McKillop made a living on finding good foreign players, and then developing players along the way. But those days are likely behind most schools as the transfer portal becomes the way to fill out rosters. It might be the reason the dad left coaching, knowing his model and development would be very difficult to replicate.

Has anyone gotten an email or update about a pregame event in Brooklyn on Thursday? The alumni events page has info on watch parties in Richmond, Dallas and Pittsburgh, but nothing for Brooklyn. I usually get an email directly but nothing as yet.

Also, anyone have any knowledge on what section is UR fan section for Thursday? Would like to get a couple tickets on Wednesday.

Just pick school general admission. UR fans in red will migrate to certain sections, usually in the corners of arena.

We should pack the arena - should be a home game. Our largest student population is from the NY/NJ area and we send a lot of kids to work in NYC. 1 seed, COY and POY - should be a sell out right cause of all the UR fans

Regarding pre-games, haven’t seen anything yet for Thursday. 11:30 am tip makes it tough to do a 9:30/ 10 gathering. Win Thurs. & likely a nice event Saturday 11:30/ 12 near Barclays

We should pack the arena - should be a home game. Our largest student population is from the NY/NJ area and we send a lot of kids to work in NYC. 1 seed, COY and POY - should be a sell out right cause of all the UR fans

More likely a road game with the VCU fans rooting against while waiting for their quarterfinals game. Tho I think VCU fans want to play us in semis.

I don't think we ever draw that well in Brooklyn. We're a small school, the NY/NJ thing means little. It would be nice & the season we've had may provide a small boost, but overall don't expect much re: crowd size.

More likely a road game with the VCU fans rooting against while waiting for their quarterfinals game. Tho I think VCU fans want to play us in semis.

I don't think we ever draw that well in Brooklyn. We're a small school, the NY/NJ thing means little. It would be nice & the season we've had may provide a small boost, but overall don't expect much re: crowd size.
Right, Trap always looks at it as what percent of our student body are from NYC.
I always look at it as what percent of NYC population are UR grads.

We have 2,500 alumni in the NYC area, and most of them probably have to work tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT