ADVERTISEMENT

A-10 Tournament

Typical start by Lunardi. Said 14 for Duq they r 11. Had FAU as 1 of last 4 in. 8 seed.

Our employee is so bad!
Not sure if there’s necessarily a correlation between last in and seeding. Someone else can chime in on this if I’m wrong.

There is. The last 4 in are the two play in games.
I thought I had once read that lowest seeds do the play in games for the 16th seed. Thus my previous statement of lack of correlation and seed??? Seems a guaranteed bid from automatic qualifier from lowly regarded conference would fit the play in??? Maybe I’m mistaken.

The four play-in games involve the lowest four auto bids (16-seeds) and the last four at-larges (usually 11- or 12- seeds depending on how things fall, but both games are 10s this year).

Last edited:
I thought I had once read that lowest seeds do the play in games for the 16th seed. Thus my previous statement of lack of correlation and seed??? Seems a guaranteed bid from automatic qualifier from lowly regarded conference would fit the play in??? Maybe I’m mistaken.

“Play in” was my term. Not sure they officially use that. First Four games I think is accurate. The 16/16 seed games r more closely play in games vs. the last 4 at large teams that play.

But the last 4 in are seeded together there is a correlation. That’s why they play extra game against each other. Going back to FAU comment - as 8 seed they r certainly not last 4 in.

Maybe I misunderstood what u were saying

If Richmond had not lost in the quarterfinals, I think they would’ve been selected.

Nah we needed more but I still think there was a path. It had to include the Goo Moo win too. Also too many bid stealers this year.

Sucks for Indiana State. Best NET to be left out. Of course it was a mid major.

At first glance Lunardi stunk on the seedings. Only missed Oklahoma/Virginia on teams selected (I think) but these days if u miss 2 or more as bracketologist u have done horrible. More judged on seeding.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
Nah we needed more but I still think there was a path. It had to include the Goo Moo win too. Also too many bid stealers this year.

At first glance Lunardi stunk on the seedings. Only missed Oklahoma/Virginia on teams selected (I think) but these days if u miss 2 or more as bracketologist u have done horrible. More judged on seeding.
I disagree with you on that, Duquesne is an 11th seed, more respect was given the A-10.

my comment on sight lines wasn't meant as an excuse. everyone played in the same gym. but tough to ignore the poor shooting in this tournament. I don't believe it's just everyone playing harder defense.

Reactions: PalmTreeSpidUR

We will never know!

I can say it now. I think Dayton was overrated much of the year. They weren't nearly as formidable either in our game, or in many of the others I had seen over the season, as they have been in the past. Glad for the conference we got a second bid, but I also don't see why Dayton was such a lock/high seed. Without knowing anything about their opponent, I expect them to lose in the first round.

11 is an at-large quality seed. Have to think they were just saving an 11 and slotting in whoever won the A10 tournament.

Reactions: ur2K and urfan1
The large number of bid thieves did skew things…lot of lower rated teams got auto bids. The at-large play-in games are both on the 10-seed line this year, usually they’re 11 or 12.

Reactions: fan2011 and urfan1

Just want to bring this back up since I saw this tweet. Lunardi consistently bad as a bracketologist. Wonder why we were dying to hire him? SF was supposed to find out if he’s still on our payroll as our scheduling guru!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT