ADVERTISEMENT

58-27 is VCU’s record verse Richmond since the 77-78 season

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
58-27 is VCU’s record verse Richmond since the 77-78 season. The great Dick Tarrant also had a poor record against VCU despite playing against them when they had a weaker national program. The best way to evaluate a coach is by comparing how they did to equal VCU quality teams. Over that time period VCU has had 12 years with a SRS of over 8.5. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/virginia-commonwealth/

Below are our the coaches records verses VCU during those years:

Tarrant 1-8 11%

Mooney 6-20 23%

Dooley, Wainwright and Beilein never faced a VCU team with an SRS over 8.5

Why does VCU have such a good long term record against U of R? It is obviously more than just coaching.

58-27 is VCU’s record verse Richmond since the 77-78 season. The great Dick Tarrant also had a poor record against VCU despite playing against them when they had a weaker national program. The best way to evaluate a coach is by comparing how they did to equal VCU quality teams. Over that time period VCU has had 12 years with a SRS of over 8.5. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/virginia-commonwealth/

Tarrant 1-8 11%

Mooney 6-20 23%

Why does VCU have such a good long term record against U of R? It is obviously more than just coaching.
Loser attitude. We can do better.

Tarrant 1-8 11%

Mooney 6-20 23%

I know very little about SRS but two things stand out. 1) it is overly simplistic, I mean SRS literally stands for Simple Ranking System. 2) SRS is largely a predictive system, not a retrodictive system. It’s not particularly good at telling you what teams have accomplished in the past.

So you’re building an argument on a simplistic system that’s not very good at articulating past performance. At some point we have to stop coming up with convoluted arguments for what is going on with the program and actually solve for what ails the program.

I won’t universally blame everything on CM but it’s thoroughly unhelpful to not consider him amongst the factors for what ails us.

Tarrant 1-8 11%

Mooney 6-20 23%

If a Ram fan was going to come on here to troll us could they do a better job than this?

Tarrant 1-8 11%

Mooney 6-20 23%

Very good points.

Tarrant 1-8 11%

Mooney 6-20 23%

Ok. You have explained away our record against cross town rival VCU with pretzel logic. Please proceed with an explanation of 55% over 17.5 years.

If a Ram fan was going to come on here to troll us could they do a better job than this?
They don’t even have to troll us anymore. They don’t look at us a rival for starters because we’re not serious about basketball here. Second, why bother trolling when a few Mooney Truthers all of a sudden showed up here a few years ago and spouted excuses crafted like Mooney’s personal PR team? So the answer is no. They couldn’t.

Urfan1 with the help of SF, posted the info below which does show that our record going back 50 years is terrible against VCU. However in comparing coaches performance you have to consider the quality of the VCU team. SRS is a great stat that takes into consideration the won and loss record along with strength of schedule.

The link I shared in the original post is to a website that most people view to see long term records of teams and prominently uses SRS. VT4700 also did a great job by pointing out VCU’s record during certain years, which is only half the story. Mooney has faced a must stronger VCU team than previous coaches who have combined to win only one game against VCU when their SRS is about 8.5, while he has won 6 games.

Slone (74-78) 43-63, 5-3
Goetz (78-81) 38-44, 1-6
Tarrant (81-93) 239-126, 9-15
Dooley (93-97) 43-69, 1-6
Beilein (97-02) 100-53, 7-3
Wainwright (02-05) 50-41, 1-2
Mooney (05-present) 323-253, 8-23

Only unsurprising if you do not compare VCU's teams. Beilein got 4 of the wins when VCU was 9-19 in 1998 and 15-16 in 1999, and 2 more in 2001 when they were 16-14.

VCU's win totals starting in 2006: 19, 28, 24, 24, 27, 28, 29, 27 26, 26, 25, 26, 18, 25, 18, 19, 22.

Last edited:
Urfan1 with the help of SF, posted the info below which does show that our record going back 50 years is terrible against VCU. However in comparing coaches performance you have to consider the quality of the VCU team. SRS is a great stat that takes into consideration the won and loss record along with strength of schedule.

The link I shared in the original post is to a website that most people view to see long term records of teams and prominently uses SRS. VT4600 also did a great job by pointing out VCU’s record during certain years, which is only half the story. Mooney has faced a must stronger VCU team than previous coaches who have combined to win only one game against VCU when their SRS is about 8.5, while he has won 6 games.

Slone (74-78) 43-63, 5-3
Goetz (78-81) 38-44, 1-6

Only unsurprising if you do not compare VCU's teams. Beilein got 4 of the wins when VCU was 9-19 in 1998 and 15-16 in 1999, and 2 more in 2001 when they were 16-14.

VCU's win totals starting in 2006: 19, 28, 24, 24, 27, 28, 29, 27 26, 26, 25, 26, 18, 25, 18, 19, 22.
Is this just two previous posts mashed together? It feels a bit like subtraction by addition.

Reactions: gospidersgo

The link I shared in the original post is to a website that most people view to see long term records of teams and prominently uses SRS. VT4600 also did a great job by pointing out VCU’s record during certain years, which is only half the story. Mooney has faced a must stronger VCU team than previous coaches who have combined to win only one game against VCU when their SRS is about 8.5, while he has won 6 games.

Slone (74-78) 43-63, 5-3
Goetz (78-81) 38-44, 1-6

I think we’d get along well if we ever met. But your posts are beyond infuriating and for that I will never buy you a beer.

I know very little about SRS but two things stand out. 1) it is overly simplistic, I mean SRS literally stands for Simple Ranking System. 2) SRS is largely a predictive system, not a retrodictive system. It’s not particularly good at telling you what teams have accomplished in the past.

So you’re building an argument on a simplistic system that’s not very good at articulating past performance. At some point we have to stop coming up with convoluted arguments for what is going on with the program and actually solve for what ails the program.

I won’t universally blame everything on CM but it’s thoroughly unhelpful to not consider him amongst the factors for what ails us.

Any idea how it compares to Kenpom? RPI seems way too simplistic as well. Are there any more complex analytic ratings that have been around since the 70s and still used today?

This definitely feels like a fan2011 question. I’m just a simple caveman lawyer…(not really a lawyer)
I agree, about the 2011 question, not about the caveman (I haven''t met you... ;) )

Your post just seemed the appropriate place for a follow up post.

Oh and by the way, sat in different seats for the VCU game. Bunch of UR fans behind me, all were vocally anti-Mooney. Still have yet to meet the pro-Mooney wing of our fanbase, I'm sure as you say it is the majority opinion, but man every Spider fan I run into whether at the game or in the community, wants him gone and are quite vocal about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and by the way, sat in different seats for the VCU game. Bunch of UR fans behind me, all were vocally anti-Mooney. Still have yet to meet the pro-Mooney wing of our fanbase, I'm sure as you say it is the majority opinion, but man every Spider fan I run into whether at the game or in the community, wants him gone and are quite vocal about it.
Let's see, 2 of the last 3 games were sellouts, Last year we had the highest attendance of all schools in the country our size and we had the third most attendance in the A10. You don't get those results if a majority of people do not believe in the coach.

Let's see, 2 of the last 3 games were sellouts, Last year we had the highest attendance of all schools in the country our size and we had the third most attendance in the A10. You don't get those results if a majority of people do not believe in the coach.
They so badly want their opinion of our coach to be a popular one, but it simply is not. It is just the same 15-20 whiners on a message board who will never be happy, and will just whine about everything, even months, actually days, after we win our conference tourney and beat the Big Ten champs in the dance.

There are those of us who are season ticket holders, there are casual basketball fans, there are those present for entertainment of a game, there are the discounted tickets group, there are middle school kids. But yep, all of them believe in the coach.

I respectfully disagree...it's easy to support the team but wish Mooney was gone.

They so badly want their opinion of our coach to be a popular one, but it simply is not. It is just the same 15-20 whiners on a message board who will never be happy, and will just whine about everything, even months, actually days, after we win our conference tourney and beat the Big Ten champs in the dance.
WTF dude, you are the whiner. We are just expressing our views and opinions with other fans. Where are all the pro mooneyites. Most of the folks on here are SPIDER fans, many long time fans. The grads I am in touch with are either casual hoops fans with no real strong opinion of Mooney, or disappointed in Mooney. This is really the only place I know where hard core Richmond hoops fans discuss the team, and guess what there are about 2.5 pro Mooney posters. And don't give me the "you scary toxic guys scare them away, that is BS. If there was the passion for moon they would be on here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT