ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond's record when VCU has winning record for season

They're dumb, but you didn't get into the school even though you are a legacy, so....
I never applied and am sure I wouldn’t have gotten in. I didn’t have anywhere near the absurd requirements UR has now. I will say that the high school I went to was pretty easy so if I really wanted to I’m sure I could have made it happen. That’s on me though, no one else to blame for that. Never wanted to go to UR that badly anyways though.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders
Dumb is a little harsh - they are not dumb.

But I think depending on how this season ends - I wonder if any of them test the transfer portal to make that NCAA run. We have all mentioned Burton on here, simply because he is our best player and has NBA potential and could move up in conferences. But I also wouldn't downplay guys like Grace and Goose - assuming they can transfer and play right away as grad transfers (not sure of the rule and how it interacts with extra COVID year).

But I could see those guys filling roles on lower level programs, where maybe they get more playing time, but also have a good opportunity to make an NCAA run by winning their league, or another good mid-major problem with a better chance. They have both played well this year - Goose, once he bounced back from injury has been a bright spot at times and Grace has been better than expected off the bench. Not saying these guys are all-league players by an means, but I could see them getting more minutes or a bigger role on a lower level team. Look at Longwood this year for example - the roster there is filled with transfers and they are 11-1 in the Big South and have a chance at making the dance if they win their tourney.

But I think depending on how this season ends - I wonder if any of them test the transfer portal to make that NCAA run. We have all mentioned Burton on here, simply because he is our best player and has NBA potential and could move up in conferences. But I also wouldn't downplay guys like Grace and Goose - assuming they can transfer and play right away as grad transfers (not sure of the rule and how it interacts with extra COVID year).

But I could see those guys filling roles on lower level programs, where maybe they get more playing time, but also have a good opportunity to make an NCAA run by winning their league, or another good mid-major problem with a better chance. They have both played well this year - Goose, once he bounced back from injury has been a bright spot at times and Grace has been better than expected off the bench. Not saying these guys are all-league players by an means, but I could see them getting more minutes or a bigger role on a lower level team. Look at Longwood this year for example - the roster there is filled with transfers and they are 11-1 in the Big South and have a chance at making the dance if they win their tourney.
Grace and Goose are going to getting starter minutes for us next year, they don't need to transfer down to get those minutes and roles. If they transfer down for a better chance of playing in an NCAA tournament, well that indeed would say something, wouldn't it.

Reactions: Zeeter
Agreed - I think Grace and Goose get good minutes if they stay, but I think its pretty clear we have little to no chance at a bid next year. So if getting to the tourney is important to them - and I don't blame them for that - would they be willing to take a chance, maybe move down - play about the same they are this year, but have a better shot at a bid? I don't get the feeling they would do that - but I would not be totally surprised if it happened.

not even contemplating post season, I'm just not sure they stay after graduating to go to our grad school. I know the super seniors did, so it's possible. but Goose could probably play for money in Finland. and Grace seems to have other interest that UR doesn't provide. he could transfer for that part of it and still play.

Grace and Goose are going to getting starter minutes for us next year, they don't need to transfer down to get those minutes and roles. If they transfer down for a better chance of playing in an NCAA tournament, well that indeed would say something, wouldn't it.
They are not going to transfer down. I would be shocked if any of the potential starters transferred. Could see a few of the seniors go pro over in Europe, but I think low probability.

Depends on what you consider going down I guess.

Just some schools I am throwing out there, no idea of there roster situation - but just simply saying at this point in time would they be considered a significant step down.

Liberty - has basically made the NCAA the last 3 years and have a good shot this year.
Northern Iowa - strong team in Valley, and with Loyola leaving - makes it a little easier for them to get back to top.
Colgate - top team in Patriot last 3 years with 2 NCAA appearances that time.
Furman - have been near the top of the Southern conference last few years.

Yes - these are all teams below in conference. But probably all have better chances at dancing next year than we do. And I would say Goose or maybe even Grace could transfer up, but I don't see many opportunities for that and they likely don't play much at all if that is the case or play on a bad team.

Reactions: Eight Legger
not even contemplating post season, I'm just not sure they stay after graduating to go to our grad school. I know the super seniors did, so it's possible. but Goose could probably play for money in Finland. and Grace seems to have other interest that UR doesn't provide. he could transfer for that part of it and still play.
I agree with this point of view. I think Goose could easily decide to play back home in Finland, but he did say on the World of Beer show that he was interested in living in the US as well. I don’t think Matt is “basketball first” so I think he looks at grad programs he is interested in and if they happen to have an opening on their team he considers it.

I do not not expect the super senior trend to continue.

I agree with this point of view. I think Goose could easily decide to play back home in Finland, but he did say on the World of Beer show that he was interested in living in the US as well. I don’t think Matt is “basketball first” so I think he looks at grad programs he is interested in and if they happen to have an opening on their team he considers it.

I do not not expect the super senior trend to continue.
I don’t know about goose and what he does.
But it was clear from a recent Matt Grace interview that he will play somewhere next year.

No I can’t because I was a junior in highschool in California who barely know who Richmond was. And I definitely can’t remember ever doing well in the A10 tournament.
NoCal or SoCal? NoCal guy here…

VCU’s first sell out. Hopefully a few brave Spiders will attend. 2015 was the last time I went. It was the perfect game. I will never go back.

VCU’s first sell out. Hopefully a few brave Spiders will attend. 2015 was the last time I went. It was the perfect game. I will never go back.
I disagree you should have went back in 2018. 67-46 spiders with 2 minutes to go.

Reactions: SpiderK
I got my Richmond shirt on, sitting in front of the TV with beers ready. This should be a great game. I thought about going in person, but had a bad experience when I went right before covid. I think you can potentially get your ass kicked if you wear a Spider shirt and cheer loudly for the team.

I got my Richmond shirt on, sitting in front of the TV with beers ready. This should be a great game. I thought about going in person, but had a bad experience when I went right before covid. I think you can potentially get your ass kicked if you wear a Spider shirt and cheer loudly for the team.

I think they’ve softened up over the years. Their sellout streak is over.

How was tonight's experience?

Appreciate your spirit 80s but Mooney and team got ass kicked tonight.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
I attended the game and wore red.

It's more of a "laugh and feel bad for you" crowd down there now. Think of a Detroit Lions fan at a Packers game.

Mooney's Legacy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT