ADVERTISEMENT

58-27 is VCU’s record verse Richmond since the 77-78 season

Tarrant's record seemed to depend on the opposing coach. I think it was:
vs Barnett 2-9
vs Polio 4-3
vs Smith 3-3

I think Dooley won his first again st Smith then when 0 for 6...
Exactly - but my point is simple. No one cares that much about your record against your rival if your doing bigger things - like making the NCAA and winning games, which Tarrant did and put UR on the map.

You don’t get the bigger picture vt, he should’ve been fired years ago. Hell some fans put up a billboard saying he should leave (it isn’t just some, it’s most) and let’s talk about last year, other than a week in March it was a disappointment and if it weren’t for a Cinderella run we are having a different discussion. Let’s talk about how people are supporting Chris when he has a quota for making the NCCA tourney once every 10 years. I’m upset because this guy shouldn’t be here anymore, he’s been here for 18 years and other than 4-5 years, he’s been mediocre that’s why I’m upset, and it isn’t like he hasn’t had the talent to do so. It doesn’t make you mad that Mooney couldn’t come up with a scheme with Kendall Anthony and tj cline to make the tourney? It doesn’t upset you that we second best in the city? It doesn’t upset you that throughout his career he’s been inconsistent. We can get a coach who can get us to more than 1 ncaa tourney in 10 years with the resources the school has that’s why I’m upset at CM
Okay, in your opinion and that of others on here, Mooney should have been fired years ago. I get it. After the back to back losing seasons, I said on here I did not want him to be fired, but I understood if people wanted him to be. Look it up....that is exactly what I said more than once. I accepted the opinions of others, but they certainly did not accept mine for wanting him to still be our coach. I felt we had the right group and coach to make a run, and we did just that.

What surprises me is we hear what we heard over 3+ years ago after every loss. This is not 3+ years ago. We are not coming off the losing seasons. We don't have a tourney drought, but people on here post every day like it is 2019, just like this very post of yours.

Okay, in your opinion and that of others on here, Mooney should have been fired years ago. I get it. After the back to back losing seasons, I said on here I did not want him to be fired, but I understood if people wanted him to be. Look it up....that is exactly what I said more than once. I accepted the opinions of others, but they certainly did not accept mine for wanting him to still be our coach. I felt we had the right group and coach to make a run, and we did just that.

What surprises me is we hear what we heard over 3+ years ago after every loss. This is not 3+ years ago. We are not coming off the losing seasons. We don't have a tourney drought, but people on here post every day like it is 2019, just like this very post of yours.
yeah, I felt the same way. after those 2 bad years I'd certainly have understood writing a check (though I've said I didn't think the school had ever shown an appetitie for that ... it would have to be donors). but I thought Mooney had recruited much better and had the pieces in place for some good times. Covid interupted, but we got a taste.

the roster is in a solid place. we're not a top 68 roster, but it's good. assuming we'll need to replace Burton and Crabtree in the spring, we've got some work to do. 2 holes to fill plus we need to hit on Smith, Tanner and Noyes. and we have to have been right on Nelson. that's a lot ... but possible.

Reactions: VT4700

Agreed - the clock has been reset. You can't bring up 5 years ago now that he has gotten an extension and NCAA appearance in the last 2-3 years. BUT - if we don't make an NCAA appearance in the next 2-3 years, then I would argue you can bring up the past to show it might be repeating itself and are we going down the path of waiting 10 more years. But right now - you gotta forget it.

Reactions: VT4700
I disagree. I've used this comparison before and I think it's appropriate. You own a business and have a sales guy who had been average for a decade. You're not losing money on him, he makes some easy sales and makes the company a little bit of money. People generally like him, he sells to mostly the same group of clients every year and they mostly buy the same amount from him.

But your biggest competitor is selling to big clients every year, even though your product is better and less expensive that theirs. Finally one year, your guy gets a broken tire on the interstate and the first person who stops to help him turns out to be the president of a company that is a potential client. Your guy ends up selling him a million-dollar contact -- 10 times larger than anything he's ever sold before. A few months later, that company is sold and moves to a new city.

You have to decide what to expect from your sales guy next year. What are you expecting?

Can confirm.
You guys sure post a lot or racist stuff every time you play us, everyone knows what you mean by "thug".
I'd actually respect you more if you just came out and said it, at least you'd be honest.
/s

Irresponsible accusation. Some would say that word has been hijacked by the woke mob. I don’t use & don’t think too prevalent here. A simple search shows it was also used to describe Thad Matta who last I checked is a white guy & about the b10 conference. U guys probably call us soft which someone could easily but irresponsibly w/o evidence characterize as the same thing. Take your normal W & be happy without having to label an entire fanbase as racist. Says more about u.

Soooo, it looks like we are all waiting for 24-25 to see if Noyes/Nelson/Smith/Walz/Tanner are the real deal?

That is not strong recruiting in my opinion.
? not sure I understand.
I'm not done with this year. but I'm talking about what we have in 2023-24.

Well, it seems like the expectation seems to be we lose Burton next season, and Goose and Grace, and we do not have guys to ready to star next season, or have us at an NCAA level team - so we are hoping Noyes/Nelson/SMith/Walz/Tanner will be seasoned by that time. Or is it your expecatation that we will be an NCAA level team.

If we are not next season, then we are really really really stuck in this mooniocrotiy pattern. The more games that go by this season, it seams that it is his coaching that was holding last season's team back, and that a Gilly inspired performance saved him. Now don't get me wrong, happens to the greatest coaches - that is why your recruit great player. I just think this season is proving that Mooney NEEDS the players to be the driving force, and not his motivation, strategy, game time decisions. They seem poor as usual. I would expect a nice win against a reeling and very thin roster at umass tonight.

Or is it your expecatation that we will be an NCAA level team.

If we are not next season, then we are really really really stuck in this mooniocrotiy pattern.
yeah, that's what I'm trying to get a handle on. but I don't think we can answer that yet.

I can absolutely see a scenario where we're signficantly better next year. but 3 things have to go really right.

1) we have to improve significantly at PG. Nelson's playing pretty well but I expect him to be much better next year. hopefully a healthy Bailey gets more work this year to continue his development. Trevor Smith should push for time at both guard spots. we might need him to hit the ground running.

2) somebody is going to have to fill Burton's shoes on the wing. if we go smaller there with a Roche or Randolph we can help our shooting but lose a lot of rebounding again. I think we need Noyes, Tanner, or a new guy to be an alpha. I don't hold it against Noyes that he's not playing. there's no time available with Burton here.

3) this kind of overlaps with #2, but one of the guys we add has to have some size (like a 4/5) and will need to make an impact. this is the guy we've talked about often as the guy we always want and often miss on. the Hunger/Buchanan/Avila/Reed/Durkin type. at a minimum he has to back up Bigelow. ideally he's even better.

Can confirm.
You guys sure post a lot or racist stuff every time you play us, everyone knows what you mean by "thug".
I'd actually respect you more if you just came out and said it, at least you'd be honest.
/s
I think the dumbest thing these two fan bases do is engage in the "VCU is ghetto" "U of Henrico/Rich kids" garbage. I don't think there's nearly as much as your alleging, and you yourself liked a post in the previous thread where our village idiot said that word (It was the only time it was used in an 8 page thread). Though, I do think anyone denigrating VCUs team in that manner is uncalled for.

So many ways to shit on each others school, and some fans go for the dumbest, lowest hanging fruit. I have seen similar behavior from any fan base I've interacted with, unfortunately.

It may shock or surprise some people , but some VCU fans live in the counties and some Richmond fans live in the city. I in fact have never lived outside its limits and but I have all over it.

AFIAK, VCU owns more property in Henrico than Richmond.
Richmond has a ton of students from New Jersey while NOVA students flock to VCU and ride crotch rockets with daddy's money and overpay rent with student loans screwing longtime residents over on housing. This isnt your parents VCU. Calling it ghetto is a stupid.

I remember in 2013 having to navigate VCUs campus on a bike and rode around looking at the students and said to myself, these students look far different from the typical VCU student I grew up with. They all could of very easily been mistaken for UR students.
If you grew up in the city, you probably hate both locations (NOVA/NJ) and their cultures that historically accompany them. Personally I enjoyed the old VCU more, county kids with nothing better to do after high school creating what we know now as hell block. (Which ironically is where URs former campus is).

Then you jerks parlayed a team no one even had onto the bubble(That got destroyed by us) into a f4 run and the outside world began to notice and started to shed its glorified community college status to try and become more nationally recognized.

These days, VCU is a real estate hedge fund masquerading as a school that's gobbling up every asset they can between monroe and MCV with the citys support. In part thanks to that f4 run that if you ran the simulation 100X, I think any rational VCU fan would admit would not likely happen again.

That's why I hate VCU. Hell sometimes I hate us just as much because Bradford Burgess wanted to be a Spider and our idiots in admissions said nah. We just admit him and a lot of this nightmare probably doesn't happen.

Honestly, the basketball players are about the only somewhat likeable thing about the school to me in many instances.

Both these schools operate within a bubble, one that tries to ignore its ties to the city/community while the other one actively tries to exploit it for their own gain.

OK, I can agree with those three. I do think there is a chance that some of that happens. I think number 3 is critical. I think and hope that between Randolph increasing his role and Noyes being ready (3 years removed from h.s. its now or never) we can replace Burton's scoring. Tanner, I like, but nothing screams college ready on day 1. Would love to see otherwise, and think he has very nice potential but not day 1.

But being able to score at the basket and get some easy baskets, and REBOUND is where we will miss Burton. That is where that transfer comes in. Bigelow should be able to add more next year. I actually think best case scenario is Walz steps up and beats out Quinn. Walz is a load and athletic. FT shot looks great. Hopefully he did not come here to be a career back up and in the next 200 days decides he might want to play 25 minutes next year. That would solve some of the easy baskets, rebounding, physical play equation. But in reality seems another year away after limited time this year.

And yes in any scenario we need Nelson to improve and would be very very helpful is Smith comes in ripping on day 1.

Reactions: spiderman
Hmm, I missed this. Again, will blame Mooney and PQ for not pushing this through. I bet Daddy Boy McKillop can get players in Davidson if he wants.
IIRC, his mother f****ing worked at UR or had some tie to it and wanted him to go there as well.

If all that is to be true, probably one of the most short sighted move in UR history (athletically speaking) considering what came from it.

Reactions: urfan1 and spider23
IIRC, his mother f****ing worked at UR or had some tie to it and wanted him to go there as well.

If all that is to be true, probably one of the most short sighted move in UR history (athletically speaking) considering what came from it.
She is/was an assistant principal/principal in Chesterfield County. My wife worked with her. Very nice family. I thought that coaches had some pull with the admissions department if they really wanted a certain athlete. Pretty sure all those Duke guys aren't all getting 1500 on their SATs or have the grades to get in, but they make it work.

Irresponsible accusation. Some would say that word has been hijacked by the woke mob. I don’t use & don’t think too prevalent here. A simple search shows it was also used to describe Thad Matta who last I checked is a white guy & about the b10 conference. U guys probably call us soft which someone could easily but irresponsibly w/o evidence characterize as the same thing. Take your normal W & be happy without having to label an entire fanbase as racist. Says more about u.
See the little "/s" at the end of my post?
Get your grandkids to explain to you what that means.

Coaches do have slots to bring in athletes who don't meet the usual UR standards, but it's not a free-for-all. And therein lies the difficulty we've had over the years - where should the line be for these players? Not that there should be a firm line to begin with...there's no magic bar for regular student admissions either where if you get X test score or GPA, you're in or out.

Coaches do have slots to bring in athletes who don't meet the usual UR standards, but it's not a free-for-all. And therein lies the difficulty we've had over the years - where should the line be for these players? Not that there should be a firm line to begin with...there's no magic bar for regular student admissions either where if you get X test score or GPA, you're in or out.

I disagree. I've used this comparison before and I think it's appropriate. You own a business and have a sales guy who had been average for a decade. You're not losing money on him, he makes some easy sales and makes the company a little bit of money. People generally like him, he sells to mostly the same group of clients every year and they mostly buy the same amount from him.

But your biggest competitor is selling to big clients every year, even though your product is better and less expensive that theirs. Finally one year, your guy gets a broken tire on the interstate and the first person who stops to help him turns out to be the president of a company that is a potential client. Your guy ends up selling him a million-dollar contact -- 10 times larger than anything he's ever sold before. A few months later, that company is sold and moves to a new city.

You have to decide what to expect from your sales guy next year. What are you expecting?
The problem with your description is that it doesn't apply to Mooney. They probably spoke to him 3.5 years ago and said we need to see improvement or we will let your contract run out and since then he has has 2 NCAA quality team and an NIT. Over that 3 years he has had the highest SRS in school history. He then lost 4 1000 point scorers and is in top half of the A10 with a chance to be top 4.

See the little "/s" at the end of my post?
Get your grandkids to explain to you what that means.

No grandkids. Future life goal tho. But u r right I had no idea what it meant but hey good to learn something new. Thx Google. Still a really weird post to make & then put a not well known symbol at the very end indicating it was supposedly all sarcasm. U got me. This is my only message board. I'm not scouring any other message boards or internet chat rooms to pick up on these things. Unlike all the sophisticated VCUers with purple hair, skinny jeans, a skateboard, and a tattoo on their eyeball hanging out on Dateline to Catch a Predator sites.

/S or not /S who knows that's for u to decide.

• Haha
Reactions: Eight Legger
No grandkids. Future life goal tho. But u r right I had no idea what it meant but hey good to learn something new. Thx Google. Still a really weird post to make & then put a not well known symbol at the very end indicating it was supposedly all sarcasm. U got me. This is my only message board. I'm not scouring any other message boards or internet chat rooms to pick up on these things. Unlike all the sophisticated VCUers with purple hair, skinny jeans, a skateboard, and a tattoo on their eyeball hanging out on Dateline to Catch a Predator sites.

/S or not /S who knows that's for u to decide.
It's pretty well known.

LOL. So, a name that no one has a clue about is what bothers people? Wow.....okay.

I had you on ignore for a long time. But I missed reading your insight so I un-ignored you and brought you back to see if you had anything interesting to say other than bashing other posters. But no....so you're going back in time out youngster.

By the way, you can always put all the posters that you disagree with on ignore. Then you, 80sfan, and the crickets can have the board all to yourself!

Can confirm.
/s

Ed, with respect because I like your posting...but if you are implying that only one ethnicity can be a thug, isn't that in itself a racial comment? As a former cop, we always considered any dirtbag criminal to be a thug. And I do agree with you, I don't think any of the VCU players (or anyone else not behind bars) should be called thugs.

Reactions: GKiller and urfan1
Ed, with respect because I like your posting...but if you are implying that only one ethnicity can be a thug, isn't that in itself a racial comment? As a former cop, we always considered any dirtbag criminal to be a thug. And I do agree with you, I don't think any of the VCU players (or anyone else not behind bars) should be called thugs.
That's funny, you're in the minority on this board by a lot, because that term is applied to our players by people on this board, a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT