ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond's record when VCU has winning record for season

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
When VCU has a winning record during the season, we have a terrible record against them. For example, Dick Tarrant I believe was 6-14 against VCU in years where they had a winning record and that was when they had a much lower average SRS.

The good news is our recent record over the past 4 years is 3-4 and soon to be 4-4. Go Spiders!

I’m not sure what the point of this thread was. We suck against good teams, particularly good vcu teams?

Reactions: urfan1
When VCU has a winning record during the season, we have a terrible record against them. For example, Dick Tarrant I believe was 6-14 against VCU in years where they had a winning record and that was when they had a much lower average SRS.

The good news is our recent record over the past 4 years is 3-4 and soon to be 4-4. Go Spiders!
Great. Couldn't agree more with your "good news". 3-4 over the last 4 years is certainly something to find pride in. No bar is too high.

I’m not sure what the point of this thread was. We suck against good teams, particularly good vcu teams?
The point is to accurately point out the history of our program and to show things have improved over the past 4 years. If players and their parents read this board, I want them to know a majority of fans appreciate their efforts and support them. Most of the post on this board are extremely negative and depressing to read.

You know what will make us less negative? Winning. Everyone here supports the players. We want to see them have a chance to play for championships and make the NCAAs, things that haven’t happened in 11 years.
Great, than you should be extremely happy over the last 3 years where only one team has won more games in the A10 and they were aided by the NCAA player of the year.

2 years ago we won the most regular season wins in program history, had the highest SRS in program history and should have gone to the NCAA if it was not for Covid. We were also on track to make it last year until 3 Covid breaks hurt our season.

We aren't winning at Siegal Center this year. We blew our chance at home against VCU. Stop using the covid excuses even with the additional years of eligibility We can't finish. 3 years ago Dayton was the number one overall seed. VCU owns us in the A-10 tournament. 2 years ago we got beat by Duquesne in the first round. I still haven't gotten over that loss.

At what point last year were we “on track” to make the NCAA tournament? November after we beat an overranked Kentucky team, I suppose. But then we came home and got smoked by Hofstra not long after that, then lost to Bona and it was downhill from there.
Kentucky wasn't worth a nickel that year. Don't care how tough their schedule was. They finished with an awful record. Which reflects Kentucky being mediocre that year.

Great, than you should be extremely happy over the last 3 years where only one team has won more games in the A10 and they were aided by the NCAA player of the year.

2 years ago we won the most regular season wins in program history, had the highest SRS in program history and should have gone to the NCAA if it was not for Covid. We were also on track to make it last year until 3 Covid breaks hurt our season.
Can you remember our last NCAA appearance? Double digits years ago. Doubtful when the next time will be unless we somehow run the A10 Tournament this year. But yeah….what you say.

I still maintain that we would not have gone to the NCAA’s two years ago. We would have lost in the first round of the A10 tournament because we would have had to play Davidson who we beat twice that year already. Hard to beat a team 3 times in one year and we wouldn’t have done it. Deep down I think Mooney is glad covid cancelled the postseason.

The point is to accurately point out the history of our program and to show things have improved over the past 4 years. If players and their parents read this board, I want them to know a majority of fans appreciate their efforts and support them. Most of the post on this board are extremely negative and depressing to read.
It's to the point now where CM supports are the ones supporting our players not having the best experience possible on the court @ UR. Why? Because UR basketball players deserve better. No class @ UR should go its entire 4 years and not make the tournament. We should beat VCU on a regular basis. 7-21 just isn't good enough. In fact, it's unacceptable! We should advance out of the A10 tournament quarterfinals more than once or twice a decade. And of course we should win more than 1 A10 regular season championship in 17 years. All these numbers matter much more than SRS or any other BS stat a Mooney apologist brings up. And to be fair, it's not all CM. It's the faculty, athletic department, AD, and fans that support mediocrity that are short changing our players and program.

Can you remember our last NCAA appearance?

No I can’t because I was a junior in highschool in California who barely know who Richmond was. And I definitely can’t remember ever doing well in the A10 tournament.

It's to the point now where CM supports are the ones supporting our players not having the best experience possible on the court @ UR. Why? Because UR basketball players deserve better. No class @ UR should go its entire 4 years and not make the tournament. We should beat VCU on a regular basis. 7-21 just isn't good enough. In fact, it's unacceptable! We should advance out of the A10 tournament quarterfinals more than once or twice a decade. And of course we should win more than 1 A10 regular season championship in 17 years. All these numbers matter much more than SRS or any other BS stat a Mooney apologist brings up. And to be fair, it's not all CM. It's the faculty, athletic department, AD, and fans that support mediocrity that are short changing our players and program.
This! It's insane that anyone would put their love for Mooney ahead of the desire to see our players succeed on the biggest stage, but that's where we are. It's like siding with an employer who keeps making employees work longer hours while simultaneously cutting their salaries.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
This! It's insane that anyone would put their love for Mooney ahead of the desire to see our players succeed on the biggest stage, but that's where we are. It's like siding with an employer who keeps making employees work longer hours while simultaneously cutting their salaries.
It is actually the complete opposite. The players like Mooney and want to play for him. The seem to be very happy and loyal to the U of R basketball program. As a matter of fact, they are probably one of the most loyal teams in the country based on the low transfer rate.

In addition, the negative posters are constantly posting negative comments about the players. For example, go read the comments about Gilly on the 2 post relative to him breaking the steal record and ranking first in assist to turnovers.

My guess is that players who read the board despise many of the negative posters on this board.

Then tell us all what it is about Mooney’s track record here in the last 11 years that has you convinced we couldn’t have done any better and that he deserves to be our coach next year? What metrics are you using to measure his success by, one that no one had ever heard of until you brought it up two days ago, or actual championships and tournament appearances?

It is actually the complete opposite. The players like Mooney and want to play for him. The seem to be very happy and loyal to the U of R basketball program. As a matter of fact, they are probably one of the most loyal teams in the country based on the low transfer rate.

In addition, the negative posters are constantly posting negative comments about the players. For example, go read the comments about Gilly on the 2 post relative to him breaking the steal record and ranking first in assist to turnovers.

My guess is that players who read the board despise many of the negative posters on this board.
Player loyalty is great, but it's no reason to keep a mediocre coach.

I think player loyalty in part is due to the cocoon of comfort built here. I mean, thinking to the practice videos shown, they always show the same drills from 10 years ago. That is crazy, I mean if we made 7 NCAA's great! But I really don't believe there is nearly enough challenging players comfort zones and innovation and keeping up with the times. That drill where the players run from baseline to baseline and do layups, that has been riveting for the last 13 years.

They’re happy with mooney because they’re dumb and don’t know any better. This basketball program is basically the equivalent of working a job with ZERO expectations, getting constant praise no matter what and getting fed twinkies and hot chocolate while laying on a cushy couch and having your toes massaged. Ya I think most people would be perfectly happy with that too. If these guys had ever played for a different coach I think they would have a much different mindset.
It's the cushiness AND the compensation that make it the ultimate dream job in college hoops.

Reactions: spider fan
You can't use player loyalty to gauge a coach and his/her success. Players are more times than not loyal to their coach, no matter what. As long as your not some yelling and screaming old school Bobby Knight type (and there are even players loyal to him) - then you will always find players loyal to their coach. Majority of this board thinks JW was the worse thing to ever happen to UR Basketball - yet, I have spoken with players on his teams from the past and all of them think he was the best thing to happen to them and their team. So you can't use player loyalty as a measuring stick - it has too much bias.

With Mooney and any basketball head coach it should come down to expectations and the results to those expectations.

My expectations for UR Basketball have always been simple.

1) Make the NCAA Tourney
2) Win the A10 Regular Season or Conference Tourney
3) Beat VCU

If you achieve 1 - Make NCAA tourney, I don't care too much about 2-3, although its probably likely you achieved or came close to 2-3 if you achieve 1. Same with 2 - if you win the A10 regular season or Conference tourney, more than likely your getting 1. And 3 - beat our rival. I don't care if we lose to VCU every year if we are making the NCAA tourney, but when you are not - then it matters. But in reality - if your making the tourney, you are probably beating VCU.

What is more likely the expectation is as follows.

1) Compete for conference championships.
2) Compete for post-season bids
3) Compete vs. VCU

We adore that "compete" word around here because it is so vague and dubious. It can mean anything the AD wants it to mean and it's definition is fluid, changing from interview to interview, month to month, and year to year.
Yep anyone wondering what the goals of this program are simply need to just watch this video.

They’re happy with mooney because they’re dumb and don’t know any better. This basketball program is basically the equivalent of working a job with ZERO expectations, getting constant praise no matter what and getting fed twinkies and hot chocolate while laying on a cushy couch and having your toes massaged. Ya I think most people would be perfectly happy with that too. If these guys had ever played for a different coach I think they would have a much different mindset.
So now all of the players are dumb? What a disgusting post. I venture to say they are more intelligent than you. I'm certainly not a Mooney supporter but your attacks on the players are unjustified and uncalled for.

They're dumb, but you didn't get into the school even though you are a legacy, so....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT