ADVERTISEMENT

58-27 is VCU’s record verse Richmond since the 77-78 season

WTF dude, you are the whiner. We are just expressing our views and opinions with other fans. Where are all the pro mooneyites. Most of the folks on here are SPIDER fans, many long time fans. The grads I am in touch with are either casual hoops fans with no real strong opinion of Mooney, or disappointed in Mooney. This is really the only place I know where hard core Richmond hoops fans discuss the team, and guess what there are about 2.5 pro Mooney posters. And don't give me the "you scary toxic guys scare them away, that is BS. If there was the passion for moon they would be on here.
I'm the whiner? I get attacked on here everyday because I am just the opposite.....too positive. And, because I don't join the pathetic whinefests on here. A different opinion than the majority on here and all heck breaks loose.

Why would a Mooney supporter want to be on here? They see how those that want him to be our coach are treated. There is a big difference in wanting a new coach and being a jerk to people who don't. This place should be a fun place to post, win or lose. Can you honestly tell me there is anything fun or respectful about most of the threads? Message boards are mostly negative, but ours is a whole different level negative. Many on here have already said how angry my posts make them. Angry??? Just because I have a different opinion. Unreal.

I'm the whiner? I get attacked on here everyday because I am just the opposite.....too positive. And, because I don't join the pathetic whinefests on here. A different opinion than the majority on here and all heck breaks loose.

Why would a Mooney supporter want to be on here? They see how those that want him to be our coach are treated. There is a big difference in wanting a new coach and being a jerk to people who don't. This place should be a fun place to post, win or lose. Can you honestly tell me there is anything fun or respectful about most of the threads? Message boards are mostly negative, but ours is a whole different level negative. Many on here have already said how angry my posts make them. Angry??? Just because I have a different opinion. Unreal.
Yep, keep whining. I no longer give an eff. Don't know why you get so triggered. Mooniocrity. Stop posting on here and make a Bob Black and Matt Smith message board if it bothers you so much. I don't see the anger, just folks expressing their opinion on wanting more than mediocrity.

VT, there's very little negativity here when we're winning. I mean like a winning program, not just individual games here and there.

Perhaps if you just start by changing your moniker, you might get a little more respect. "VT" is not warm and fuzzy to most folks here. Just my opinion young man (or woman)

There have been a lot of positive posters over the years, myself included. I think time and a lack of tournament appearances have transitioned attitudes for many.

If there is a large volume of fans who are deeply pro-CM, they certainly don’t seem to frequent this board. But I can concede that they may exist. I just don’t run into any of them.

Yep, keep whining. I no longer give an eff. Don't know why you get so triggered. Mooniocrity. Stop posting on here and make a Bob Black and Matt Smith message board if it bothers you so much. I don't see the anger, just folks expressing their opinion on wanting more than mediocrity.
LOL. Okay. "I don't see the anger".....as he posts one of the angriest posts of the day.

Last edited:
VT, there's very little negativity here when we're winning. I mean like a winning program, not just individual games here and there.

Perhaps if you just start by changing your moniker, you might get a little more respect. "VT" is not warm and fuzzy to most folks here. Just my opinion young man (or woman)
LOL. So, a name that no one has a clue about is what bothers people? Wow.....okay.

And yes, you are the whiniest @#&$ on here. Not debatable. Love how you couldn't resist taking a shot at Dji on the other thread. As soon as someone mentions anything about Dji , you have to take a dig, 100% of the time. 100. And I am not typing this angrily, though I realize that is what it looks like in your mind.
Whatever. I don't think Dji can play at this level. I haven't for 3 years now. Just my opinion. People on here have said a bunch of negative stuff about Nelson this year, and that is fine with you, right? Same with other players. All except Dji of course. Not allowed to say the slightest negative thing about him, right? I never thought Sal could play at this level either. We discussed Sal for 4 years on here and there was never a reply like this getting on someone for commenting on Sal. Wonder why the difference? Wilson, I thought maybe could be a factor here, but he, like Sal, is where he needs to be. And, that is fine. Wilson and Sal are doing what maybe 1% of high school players do, and that is play D1 college basketball. Not a thing wrong with that.

I will say that your posts lately haven't been nearly as bad as some others on here. I know you are not a Mooney fan, but some of your posts have been fair. Why the anger all of a sudden? Have my posts really been worthy of some of this?

You are nuts, it is obvious you have an axe to grind with Dji's dad. And what the heck does it matter if I think it is fine or not if people criticize other players? All u do is try to twist every single debate. I am fine with critiques of Dji's game, just not from you because u go over board because his dad likes a post. And his like post happens to be critical of your favorite person. Nuts.

You are nuts, it is obvious you have an axe to grind with Dji's dad. And what the heck does it matter if I think it is fine or not if people criticize other players? All u do is try to twist every single debate. I am fine with critiques of Dji's game, just not from you because u go over board because his dad likes a post. And his like post happens to be critical of your favorite person. Nuts.
??????? My thoughts about SDad have nothing to do with my thoughts about Dji. Does it bother me when a parent posts for everyone to see that he or she thinks his kid deserves more playing time? Yes. Always has, always will, especially when he or she might criticize other players while thinking that. You said you have coached, and I would think you would not be a fan of parents acting that way either. But, whatever, that is separate from my opinion on Dji, which hasn't changed from back when I had more friendly posts with SDad and now.

Last edited:
So do me a favor, the next time GK posts something about Dji, try with all your self control not to pile on.
??? Pile on? Saying "I don't think a guy can play at this level" is piling on? Geez, this is heard on pretty much every board when describing reserve players. Some will agree, some won't, but I am supposed to just read everyone else's post and either keep quiet or say something I don't believe is true just to agree with others? What the heck? All the constant negative posts on here, not just about our coach, but our players too, many way way worse than anything I have ever said about Dji, and you keep quiet about those, but get on me? Unbelievable. What about the negative Nelson thread, and the numerous negative posts about him, or the poster who has criticized Grace for 5 years now? Why are you fine with that, but not okay with any Dji comments I might make? And, all you are doing with posts like this is drawing extra attention to what was just a simple comment about a player.

Last edited:
Whatever. I don't think Dji can play at this level. I haven't for 3 years now.

dude shut the hell up, judging from your coaching evaluation skills I'm going to say your player evaluation skills are also horrendous. I would pay money to see you say this BS to Dji's face. We know you would just hide in your bunker like you do after every loss if you had to face him or his family.

dude shut the hell up, judging from your coaching evaluation skills I'm going to say your player evaluation skills are also horrendous. I would pay money to see you say this BS to Dji's face. We know you would just hide in your bunker like you do after every loss if you had to face him or his family.
Right and he attacks Dji because his dad posts on here and is not 100% pro pom-pom Mooney all of the time. Literally, the only reason he attacks Dji so consistently, every other player, gets a pass and praise, except Dji, cause it "appears" to him that his dad his not 100% pro-Mooney.

Also, this is probably a post that 05 was trying to defuse in his decorum thread. But also to my point, we all have axes to grind on here at times (I've got a few, I admit), but one poster continues to grind his axe with everyone on every thread about everything. So yes, those threads all then devolve into this petty back and forth. There is literally only 1 poster though who starts and continues and continues and continues this pettiness though.

I have tried to stay out of the pissing wars a little more this year. I was trying to be open to a new and improved Mooney. I think there is time and the talent to finish the year strong. While I agree with sman, we don't have the talent of last season, I think relative to the rest of the A10 outside of Dayton and SLU - we do have top 4 talent in the league. Looking at Umass roster, Cross is their standout. Similar, but IMO not nearly as talented as Burton. Having to play the coaches son big minutes (which criticism of seems to be the big trigger for Coach Martin), they were not deep to start with, and have had some injuries. From what I have seen of Noah Fernandes in the past, he is very good, so jaynel will have hands full.

But bottom line, this should be a team that can make a run in the A10 tourney - but would expect SLU or Dayton to beat us. I will be very interested to see how we end the year. Have Dayton away, but other than that a bunch of very winnable games until we get SLU - which is at home. If we can win most of those, and pick of Dayton or SLU, things could be looking up.

Reactions: VT4700
I have said this so many times before. The goals for the program should be as follows.

1) NCAA Appearance.
2) Win A10 Tourney
3) Win A10 Regular Season
4) Beat VCU

If you make the NCAA tourney - good chance you either won the A10 tourney or regular season, but you don't need to. And honestly - if you make the NCAA tourney, the rest really doesn't matter as much. And most likely if you win the A10 regular season, you have a good chance at the NCAA tourney bid. But if you not going to make the NCAA tourney, not going to win the A10 tourney, and not going to win the A10 regular season - then yes, beating VCU becomes very important. And that is why is has been so important during most of the Mooney era is because we have not had success with goals 1-3, so then we as fans hope to say - well at least we beat our rival. But that usually doesn't happen.

Its like remote workers in the pandemic. If the work keeps getting done, nobody says anything about your working remotely. But the minute something slips through the cracks - remote work is to blame. Same here - nobody will say anything about your record vs. VCU if your making the dance on a regular basis. But you go a few years without making it - then people will bring up the VCU record.

58-27 is VCU’s record verse Richmond since the 77-78 season. The great Dick Tarrant also had a poor record against VCU despite playing against them when they had a weaker national program. The best way to evaluate a coach is by comparing how they did to equal VCU quality teams. Over that time period VCU has had 12 years with a SRS of over 8.5. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/virginia-commonwealth/

Below are our the coaches records verses VCU during those years:

Tarrant 1-8 11%

Mooney 6-20 23%

Dooley, Wainwright and Beilein never faced a VCU team with an SRS over 8.5

Why does VCU have such a good long term record against U of R? It is obviously more than just coaching.
Mooney fans love pushing their own agendas.

Well the fans are pissed. We can't stand Mooney and we've been talking about this for years now. Plus our program is in shambles, were 11-9 in a weak A10, we lost to William and Mary, and they just our yearly ass kicking to VCU. You expect fans to have "fun" when they're program is in shambles? NO we want to win, and I don't think the opinions will change unless the results do.

Right and he attacks Dji because his dad posts on here and is not 100% pro pom-pom Mooney all of the time. Literally, the only reason he attacks Dji so consistently, every other player, gets a pass and praise, except Dji, cause it "appears" to him that his dad his not 100% pro-Mooney.
Right, and Grace never shoots inside because Mooney tells him not too, right?

Right, and I guess Rick Pitino's evaluation skills are far below 4700's based on his offer to Dji. I think Dji's biggest issue has been staying healthy. He's had some ups and downs beside that, but I don't believe the book is written yet.
Cmon, 23....this happens all over the place. You know this. Are Tony Bennett's evaluation skills terrible because he offered Carson McCorkle, someone who can't play at a power school, or at our level?

Wow, so you are a mind reader now. As always, you are saying things as factual that are nowhere close to that. And, making everything Mooney related. So predictable.

But bottom line, this should be a team that can make a run in the A10 tourney - but would expect SLU or Dayton to beat us. I will be very interested to see how we end the year. Have Dayton away, but other than that a bunch of very winnable games until we get SLU - which is at home. If we can win most of those, and pick of Dayton or SLU, things could be looking up.
Based on the status of the A10, it does seem like the Spiders should be able to get on a roll and start collecting victories aside from Dayton, SLU, and of course the other team that calls Richmond home. I even give the Spiders a decent shot at a victory at home over SLU as the Billikens haven’t lived up to expectations either. If the Spiders only end up with 3 more losses, it would likely mean a top 4 finish in conference, which has to be an intermediate goal.

The question of course is whether that is good enough or not. There will be those who would point to a top 4 finish and say that is better than last year’s finish, so it is a resounding success. There will be those who are not impressed with say a 4th place finish and lament about the losses to the “top tier” of the league. I won’t have an opinion one way or the other and will wait for the A10 tournament to play out and see if there are any post-season opportunities. Always felt this was a rebuilding year and that the base goal was the NIT. A NCAA birth would exceed my expectations. In any case, the Spiders have a lot of wins to compile before there is a chance for a sign that the program is on the upswing.

Let's see, 2 of the last 3 games were sellouts, Last year we had the highest attendance of all schools in the country our size and we had the third most attendance in the A10. You don't get those results if a majority of people do not believe in the coach.
This is straight out of a PR manual. No normal fan talks this way.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
LOL. So, a name that no one has a clue about is what bothers people? Wow.....okay.
I think people mad about you being content with a coach who is mid at best. I think that's what makes people angry, there's a lot of facts that show that Mooney is an okay coach who can't have 2 successful seasons within 5 years (I'm defining success as NCAA Tourney Appearances because thats what we should be doing) The topic of Mooney makes people mad and frustrated because fans have been calling for accountability for a while now and we have yet to see it. Now that this tourney run happened, there will not be any accountability for him. As of you getting attacked on the board, you are in the minority for defending your opinion but you're gonna get backlash from fans. I don't think its been anything too personal from what I've seen and if it was, I'm sure the moderators would step in and take action.

I think people mad about you being content with a coach who is mid at best. I think that's what makes people angry, there's a lot of facts that show that Mooney is an okay coach who can't have 2 successful seasons within 5 years (I'm defining success as NCAA Tourney Appearances because thats what we should be doing) The topic of Mooney makes people mad and frustrated because fans have been calling for accountability for a while now and we have yet to see it. Now that this tourney run happened, there will not be any accountability for him. As of you getting attacked on the board, you are in the minority for defending your opinion but you're gonna get backlash from fans. I don't think its been anything too personal from what I've seen and if it was, I'm sure the moderators would step in and take action.
So, just because some fans call for a coaching change means it should happen? And, because of what happened last year (how dare we win the A-10 tourney and beat Iowa, right?), now there won't be accountability and that is why you are so upset? Do you not see how incredibly strange this sounds?

So, just because some fans call for a coaching change means it should happen? And, because of what happened last year (how dare we win the A-10 tourney and beat Iowa, right?), now there won't be accountability and that is why you are so upset? Do you not see how incredibly strange this sounds?
You don’t get the bigger picture vt, he should’ve been fired years ago. Hell some fans put up a billboard saying he should leave (it isn’t just some, it’s most) and let’s talk about last year, other than a week in March it was a disappointment and if it weren’t for a Cinderella run we are having a different discussion. Let’s talk about how people are supporting Chris when he has a quota for making the NCCA tourney once every 10 years. I’m upset because this guy shouldn’t be here anymore, he’s been here for 18 years and other than 4-5 years, he’s been mediocre that’s why I’m upset, and it isn’t like he hasn’t had the talent to do so. It doesn’t make you mad that Mooney couldn’t come up with a scheme with Kendall Anthony and tj cline to make the tourney? It doesn’t upset you that we second best in the city? It doesn’t upset you that throughout his career he’s been inconsistent. We can get a coach who can get us to more than 1 ncaa tourney in 10 years with the resources the school has that’s why I’m upset at CM

If a Ram fan was going to come on here to troll us could they do a better job than this?
Can confirm.
You guys sure post a lot or racist stuff every time you play us, everyone knows what you mean by "thug".
I'd actually respect you more if you just came out and said it, at least you'd be honest.
/s

I have said this so many times before. The goals for the program should be as follows.

1) NCAA Appearance.
2) Win A10 Tourney
3) Win A10 Regular Season
4) Beat VCU

If you make the NCAA tourney - good chance you either won the A10 tourney or regular season, but you don't need to. And honestly - if you make the NCAA tourney, the rest really doesn't matter as much. And most likely if you win the A10 regular season, you have a good chance at the NCAA tourney bid. But if you not going to make the NCAA tourney, not going to win the A10 tourney, and not going to win the A10 regular season - then yes, beating VCU becomes very important. And that is why is has been so important during most of the Mooney era is because we have not had success with goals 1-3, so then we as fans hope to say - well at least we beat our rival. But that usually doesn't happen.

Its like remote workers in the pandemic. If the work keeps getting done, nobody says anything about your working remotely. But the minute something slips through the cracks - remote work is to blame. Same here - nobody will say anything about your record vs. VCU if your making the dance on a regular basis. But you go a few years without making it - then people will bring up the VCU record.
And some people bring up Tarrant's record vs. VCU and how it was not so great. But difference - Tarrant was making NCAA tourney on a more regular basis, so when you do that - we don't care as much about wins vs. VCU.

And some people bring up Tarrant's record vs. VCU and how it was not so great. But difference - Tarrant was making NCAA tourney on a more regular basis, so when you do that - we don't care as much about wins vs. VCU.
Tarrant's record seemed to depend on the opposing coach. I think it was:
vs Barnett 2-9
vs Polio 4-3
vs Smith 3-3

I think Dooley won his first against Smith then went 0 for 6...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT