ADVERTISEMENT

Much higher probability of Mooney retiring than leaving from U of R.

I am not going to say what is popular or what people want to hear, unless it is the truth. I like Richmond basketball and could not care less if a majority of people on this board don't liked me. I do hope the players and their families like what I post and will always support them.

A lot of people try to use this board as a marketing campaign to get rid of the coach, which is not going to happen. The university is not going to spend millions buying out a coach that has done a pretty good job. The football coach hasn't had a winning season since coming to U of R and he is coming back next year.
Has nothing to do with liking or disliking you. The fact that you support a coach that hasn't taken us to the tournament in 11 years and can't beat our rival is baffling. This coach is holding our program back. But your view of pretty good and mine our different. I will say that your view and the administration's view are probably pretty close, which I think is a tragedy. I'm just not sure how you can say you want what is best for UR basketball and support the status quo. We are irrelevant in our own city!

I am not going to say what is popular or what people want to hear, unless it is the truth. I like Richmond basketball and could not care less if a majority of people on this board don't liked me. I do hope the players and their families like what I post and will always support them.

A lot of people try to use this board as a marketing campaign to get rid of the coach, which is not going to happen. The university is not going to spend millions buying out a coach that has done a pretty good job. The football coach has had a losing record since coming to U of R and he is coming back next year.
Absolutely delusional

Has nothing to do with liking or disliking you. The fact that you support a coach that hasn't taken us to the tournament in 11 years and can't beat our rival is baffling. This coach is holding our program back. But your view of pretty good and mine our different. I will say that your view and the administration's view are probably pretty close, which I think is a tragedy. I'm just not sure how you can say you want what is best for UR basketball and support the status quo. We are irrelevant in our own city!
Well said, B!

Reactions: Eight Legger

A lot of people try to use this board as a marketing campaign to get rid of the coach, which is not going to happen. The university is not going to spend millions buying out a coach that has done a pretty good job. The football coach has had a losing record since coming to U of R and he is coming back next year.
The billboard was probably closer to a marketing campaign to get rid of the coach than this board. I use the board as do most people to express frustration, joy, opinions and share information concerning Spider sports. Some agree, some don't.

I am definitely perplexed at how the AD sees Mooney. In five seasons of observation we have had only one season where we legitimately looked tourney worthy. Maybe some magic happens at the end of this year but we have not looked legit really at any point this year.

so if Hardt actually cares about the ncaas, then he can’t extend CM. I don’t care what the “winning record” says. He’s had his chance under Hardt, he’s had his chance under Gill.

Thank you for your service.

I've often said mediocrity (being average) is the killer of a program. If you're good most everybody is happy and involved., if you are bad only the die hards are involved but more will return at the first sign of life; if you're mediocre people begin to turn away and it takes a long time to convince them you have turned it around.

80's I think you are correct -- much better chance CM will be back at the head of the program than he will not be. But legit question, if UR maintains the position they will not fire a Coach, AND they continue to extend a few years at the time to reward or allow for recruiting, short of some morals violation how could you ever expect CM to be let go? Aren't you saying Mooney is truly our Coach for life until he decides to leave?

Are there your truths and the truths of the majority of this board? Just wondering.

I admire your flattery to the players and their families.

It doesn't have to spend "millions" to get out of a contract that at most has $2.6 million left on it. And as I've posted elsewhere, there are only 16 longer-tenured coaches in America, and half have won national titles. Mooney is a unicorn.

Legitimate D1 programs do not keep coaches for 17 years when they make the NCAAs only twice. It simply does not happen ANYWHERE but here -- quite literally. Think about that.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
80's I think you are correct -- much better chance CM will be back at the head of the program than he will not be. But legit question, if UR maintains the position they will not fire a Coach, AND they continue to extend a few years at the time to reward or allow for recruiting, short of some morals violation how could you ever expect CM to be let go? Aren't you saying Mooney is truly our Coach for life until he decides to leave?
The highest probability is not extending the contract. It would be a very very high bar to justify to the trustee while the school should spend millions to buy out a contract of a coach during normal times, but even higher now that fundraising will be much more difficult going forward.

The highest probability is not extending the contract. It would be a very very high bar to justify to the trustee while the school should spend millions to buy out a contract of a coach during normal times, but even higher now that fundraising will be much more difficult going forward.
Fair points, is anyone advocating/reminding the BOT of the argument, new coach, new beginning, new enthusiasm more open wallets?

Winning would bring in more money. NCAA tournament appearances bring in money, not to mention the publicity theat comes with playing in the A10 finals on CBS, being part of the bracket, and the fans who will want to be part of UR basketball because of winning, not 5 dollar ticket promotions. The issue with your thinking is that it is very small and doesn't take into account the big picture of what winning big would mean to Spider Athletics and UR as a whole.

Anyone who can offer something financially or in-kind when a change is made, I suggest you make this known in your letters to the president and AD.

If we are interested in winning we need to win. Plain and simple win the next game against Dayton. It doesn't matter how the season has gone. Just keep winning at all costs. When you continue to find excuses or don't meet goals. That's when people start to question what we are doing here.

Anyone who can offer something financially or in-kind when a change is made, I suggest you make this known in your letters to the president and AD.
I don't think they want to make a change, but coordinated effort of substantial (7 figures) pledges would get peoples attention. It can't be one off unless very large.

I don't think they want to make a change, but coordinated effort of substantial (7 figures) pledges would get peoples attention. It can't be one off unless very large.
What a shame that a failed record of 2 NCAA appearances in 18 years and major under-performance this year don’t stand on their own. 7 figure $ is way more important in the “just empty your wallets and maybe we’ll think about it”. Pathetic. I’m glad I don’t associate with those types and that mindset. Next.

Money is not the issue. They sell tickets for $5.
I am sure money is an issue for Mooney. If UR is really going to keep him then at least lower his contract by 50% and add incentives for winning the A10 regular season, A10 championship, and NCAA bid. If he doesn’t take it, then move on and find a coach that will.

This isn’t about money. Again, no one knows if we even have a buyout. But all the other signs point to UR not caring about the dollars, if they did they’d care about winning and making the tournament where the dollars really sit.

Those able to effect change remain convinced that we’re “really close” to making it in spite of mounds of evidence that we won’t get over the hump on this trajectory.

Don’t fear the chance to be great.

The record does not represent how bad a season this team has had. 15 wins are quad 3-4. 3 decent wins. Best win is Wofford lol. 10 losses so far against a very mediocre schedule. Add to that the most experienced team in history and pretty much an “all in” year because we are giving no thought to the future. This has been a disaster of a season.

$5 is less than the admission to a HS JV football game.

This once proud, and nationally recognized, basketball program has sunk to this level under successive Administrations and a long tenured coach. Embarrassing for the entire Spider community.

Last edited:

I think that everyone understands that Mooney isn't going to be fired. Doesn't mean that he shouldn't be, but, the school has made it clear that it isn't going to happen.

My best hope is that they just let his contract expire. The W/L record is going to be significantly underwater the next 2-years. It will be easy to administratively justify Mooney's release at that point due to lack of success. That facilitates the decision to let him go without publicly firing him. The public narrative will then be that the "winningest coach in school history decided (on his own) to retire." Huge celebration, name the water cooler after him, etc.

IF UR gives Mooney another extension, the program is doomed for another decade.

The record does not represent how bad a season this team has had. 15 wins are quad 3-4. 3 decent wins. Best win is Wofford lol. 10 losses so far against a very mediocre schedule. Add to that the most experienced team in history and pretty much an “all in” year because we are giving no thought to the future. This has been a disaster of a season.
We now have 4 Q2 wins after the SLU game but your point is still completely spot on. Greatest team ever facing a middle of the road non-conference SOS and A10 in a down year and basically all of our wins are against nobodies.

Take our top three wins (vs #63 SLU, @ #97 UNI, @ #107 Wofford) and compare them to the top three wins of the teams in line for the double bye in the A10 tournament. That is why we are struggling and falling so far behind.

We now have 4 Q2 wins after the SLU game but your point is still completely spot on. Greatest team ever facing a middle of the road non-conference SOS and A10 in a down year and basically all of our wins are against nobodies.

Take our top three wins (vs #63 SLU, @ #97 UNI, @ #107 Wofford) and compare them to the top three wins of the teams in line for the double bye in the A10 tournament. That is why we are struggling and falling so far behind.
I’d be curious how many quad 1 wins the 2011 team had. Mooney keeps calling this team the best class ever but seems to forget the 2011 team that even has him in the position he’s in. I can think of a few quad 1 wins that team had off the top of my head; Purdue, vcu, Arizona state, seton hall, Dayton, temple, and probably some more I’m missing.

I’d be curious how many quad 1 wins the 2011 team had. Mooney keeps calling this team the best class ever but seems to forget the 2011 team that even has him in the position he’s in. I can think of a few quad 1 wins that team had off the top of my head; Purdue, vcu, Arizona state, seton hall, Dayton, temple, and probably some more I’m missing.
Hard to compare since RPI was the main measuring stick back then before NET came around.

Back then, Q1 would have been RPI 1–50, and on Selection Sunday we were 3–3 against that group, but one of the wins was over Temple in the A-10 tourney.

Our regular season Q1 wins were over #12 Purdue and #49 VCU. As for “Q2” with RPI of 51–100, all we had were two wins over #70 Dayton.

#102 Seton Hall and #161 Arizona State didn’t stand out on our rèsumè.

Reactions: spiderman
I don't know what SAR is, but if you are referring to SRS, it's still only our seventh-highest level of that meaningless metric in the Mooney Era. And point differential combined with strength of schedule is not how anyone evaluates a successful season anyway – it's wins and losses, championships and NCAA appearances.

Our SAR is lower this year 6.99 than our previous 2 years, but, still better than all but one year as a member of the ECAC and CAA. Our SAR has averaged higher over the last 3 years than any single season before joining A10.
I will call the NCAA tournament committee after lunch and let them know!

Our SRS is lower this year 6.99 than our previous 2 years, but, still better than all but one year as a member of the ECAC and CAA. Our SRS has averaged higher over the last 3 years than any single season before joining A10.
SRS, DUI, HDMI, AARP, RPI, HPV, I don’t care what metric it is. Only thing that matters is on court results and the eye test and we don’t do it in either of those areas.

Why is fundraising difficult? The economy is humming pretty nicely. Perhaps, fundraising for UR is more difficult because a lot of people have said, I'm not giving money as long as Mooney is the coach. That is my position and I know many others. I'm not a 7 figure donor, so according to you, they don't care, but if there a significant number of people stopping their annual donations due to Mooney, that adds up.

I don't know what SAR is, but if you are referring to SRS, it's still only our seventh-highest level of that meaningless metric in the Mooney Era. And point differential combined with strength of schedule is not how anyone evaluates a successful season anyway – it's wins and losses, championships and NCAA appearances.

Why is fundraising difficult? The economy is humming pretty nicely. Perhaps, fundraising for UR is more difficult because a lot of people have said, I'm not giving money as long as Mooney is the coach. That is my position and I know many others. I'm not a 7 figure donor, so according to you, they don't care, but if there a significant number of people stopping their annual donations due to Mooney, that adds up.
Basketball is a very small part of the university fund raising. The controversy around building names will have a huge long term impact on the university.

If that is the case, then I do think Mooney will be let go.

If there are a significant number of 7 figure donors, who have never heard of Mooney or the A-10 but wanted to donate to the academic side, but now won't because Mooney is there, then Mooney is in trouble.

But I am surprised if that is true...

The Duquesne AD made a statement last week that their coach would be there next season.
I thought it interesting that Hardt made no statement other than “we will support our coach “

What he is saying is if SRS was the basis for A-10 Tourney seeding then:

Year/Team/2022 A-10 Seed/CAA record

1990​
UR
8​
1990​
JMU
9​
1991​
UR
8​
1991​
JMU
8​
1998​
UR
6​
1998​
W&M
8​
13-3CAA
1998​
UNCW
9​
13-3CAA
2001​
UR
5​
2001​
GMU
7​
11-5CAA
2001​
UNCW
8​
11-5CAA

Not sure that translates from era to era, and I believe SRS measure average performance not performance against good teams or at critical times...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT