ADVERTISEMENT

2024–25 schedule

Non-DI teams can only participate if they are the host (like Chaminade hosting the Maui Invitational...they participate in it every other year now).

Can we manage to land just one of the remaining handful to make it a 6-team tournament? Can't do three games in three days with only 5. Does someone bow out and make it a 4-team round robin?

Reactions: URSpider95
Non-DI teams can only participate if they are the host (like Chaminade hosting the Maui Invitational...they participate in it every other year now).

Can we manage to land just one of the remaining handful to make it a 6-team tournament? Can't do three games in three days with only 5. Does someone bow out and make it a 4-team round robin?
Thanks for all the detective work. This event still not having a full slate of teams sure puts lots of doubt into the past statement that UR knew its MTE destination for a significant amount of time. Why make a commitment to what would have had to be an empty field? Spider staff going to have to up the game on scheduling because it isn’t going to get any easier and that convenient excuse is long in the tooth.

Thanks for all the detective work. This event still not having a full slate of teams sure puts lots of doubt into the past statement that UR knew its MTE destination for a significant amount of time. Why make a commitment to what would have had to be an empty field? Spider staff going to have to up the game on scheduling because it isn’t going to get any easier and that convenient excuse is long in the tooth.
Some team(s) have to be the first to commit.

Reactions: VT4700
To both speculate and beat a dead horse here, but any thoughts that the better games we thought we had- referenced by Hardt - might have been in this tournament and those bigger name teams dropped out (but we had already signed on?) Hard to fathom a tournament didn't have a group of headlining teams put together early, I'd imagine that's how these things get built.

Pretty big speculation here, considering that the rest of the schedule is so soft. If we had thought we were getting 2 good games here, makes more sense though.

If we were the first team to sign on - i.e. one of the headliners - and no one else did, I don't know what that says, but I don't like it.

To both speculate and beat a dead horse here, but any thoughts that the better games we thought we had- referenced by Hardt - might have been in this tournament and those bigger name teams dropped out (but we had already signed on?) Hard to fathom a tournament didn't have a group of headlining teams put together early, I'd imagine that's how these things get built.

Pretty big speculation here, considering that the rest of the schedule is so soft. If we had thought we were getting 2 good games here, makes more sense though.

If we were the first team to sign on - i.e. one of the headliners - and no one else did, I don't know what that says, but I don't like it.

No. Because this tournament has never had majors in entire history for the men. It is designed for mids only. No majors backed out. What Hardt said could easily be PR nonsense too. idk why we would choose this tourney for a MTE, but we are essentially the headliner. My feeling is this wasn't our first choice of MTE, but this is what u get left with when your main mte connection is the head coach's agent at the Gazelle Group.

Just looked at our schedule, holy cow that’s bad. Seems like we put all our eggs in one basket with this auburn game. Charlotte on the road is a good game but wow, this is bad.

No. Because this tournament has never had majors in entire history for the men. It is designed for mids only. No majors backed out. What Hardt said could easily be PR nonsense too. idk why we would choose this tourney for a MTE, but we are essentially the headliner. My feeling is this wasn't our first choice of MTE, but this is what u get left with when your main mte connection is the head coach's agent at the Gazelle Group.

Thanks didn’t know that.

Also, yikes. Makes everything worse - we (supposedly) had power conf. games on paper that dropped away, and never managed to get a good MTE. Plus non D1 opener. Those are like the 3 mainstays of scheduling duty.

Still waiting on TV commitments maybe? As a second-tier conference we need to wait for the big boys to get sorted out and then we'll have some of our games filling in gaps in the TV schedule, sometimes on odd days.

So we shouldn’t have expected this year’s men’s field to be the same schools as last year’s women’s field?

That would have been ok…

drop the worst team and make it a 4 team round robin, 3 games each.
I like this idea. Probably can't drop a team but the remaining options are terrible. I doubt any of the committed schools are excited about all about adding any of these deadweights. Pretty sad that our MTE is dumpster diving for teams and even doing so, they can't find teams who wanna play.

• Sad
Reactions: 8legs1dream
The MTE's quality doesn't really shock me because our MTE's are always lackluster (props to Gazelle Group), the non-D1 team on the schedule doesn't bother me either because that has become commonplace now.

But only having one power conference school on the schedule is like historically bad, I think most of us don't realize. I just went back through every schedule from last season to the 2000-2001 season and every year we played at least 2 and many times 3 or more.

There is a whole lot of hours available to work between March 19th and today and the coaching staff just didn't get it done. Yeah it's hard, whatever the excuses are, but if we consider ourselves one of the top programs in the nation, hat tip to GKiller, we can't let this happen again. Whatever needs to be done, make it happen.

sounds like we almost had NO power conference games if Auburn pulled out. wouldn't surprise me if we had to make some kind of concession to keep them on the schedule.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: gospidersgo
sounds like we almost had NO conference games if Auburn pulled out. wouldn't surprise me if we had to make some kind of concession to keep them on the schedule.
do we know this, or just conjecture because of the deleted post on this board? If the latter, we really don't know anything.

Man, I'm all on the side of the staff today, they should take advantage of my good mood. Extend Mooney!

Dartmouth has 24 games tracked and nothing between Marist on 11/19 and BC on 11/29, though they have Le Moyne as a TBA.
Le Moyne has announced their schedule and their Dartmouth game is 12/18, so Dartmouth is still available as a possibility for our MTE.

- Dartmouth now has 26 games tracked by D1Docket, so I guess they're out with the Ivy max of 27.

- The Citadel only has 27 games tracked, but they now are now listed as hosting NAIA St. Andrew's on 11/26, so not looking good for them.

- Delaware State has 28 games tracked, but are hosting USCAA Penn State Wilkes-Barre on 11/26, so they appear to be out.

So...if all the reported games and dates are accurate and unless someone moves a date, there appear to be no available teams to even make 6 for our MTE. It's entirely possible I may have missed something somewhere, but I've tried to be as thorough as I can.

Reactions: urfan1
It doesn't look like the women have released their schedule. When will that happen? Expecting a good schedule, though. Please come out to support them!

It doesn't look like the women have released their schedule. When will that happen? Expecting a good schedule, though. Please come out to support them!
I know we open at Temple and are at App State this year, and we're playing Oakland and Oklahoma State in Daytona in a Thanksgiving event. Can't remember anything else off the top of my head.

Dug up the following games/dates for the women...

11/4 at Temple
11/9 Morgan State
11/12 at Fairfield
11/21 W&M
11/24 at App State
11/29 vs Oakland (Daytona Beach Classic)
11/30 vs Oklahoma State (Daytona Beach Classic)

Daytona Beach Classic is a weird one with 9 teams.

We're apparently also in the West Palm Beach Classic just before Christmas. Alabama is listing "Michigan State/Richmond" possibilities for both 12/20 and 12/21 games. I also see Tennessee is participating in this, but I don't know the full list or the scheduling/pairings. Last year there were 10 teams playing two games each, but no official announcement yet.

Dug up the following games/dates for the women...

11/4 at Temple
11/9 Morgan State
11/12 at Fairfield
11/21 W&M
11/24 at App State
11/29 vs Oakland (Daytona Beach Classic)
11/30 vs Oklahoma State (Daytona Beach Classic)

Daytona Beach Classic is a weird one with 9 teams.

We're apparently also in the West Palm Beach Classic just before Christmas. Alabama is listing "Michigan State/Richmond" possibilities for both 12/20 and 12/21 games. I also see Tennessee is participating in this, but I don't know the full list or the scheduling/pairings. Last year there were 10 teams playing two games each, but no official announcement yet.
Looks like a much better schedule than the men. Both teams coming off of successful seasons...why can't the men get it together!?!

Last edited:
Really curious what's going to happen with the Gulf Coast Showcase if there truly are no other teams available to get the field to 6...three games each isn't mathematically possible for a 5-team group. You'd have to either dump someone and go to a 4-team round robin or drop it to two games per team (2 days with 2 games each and 1 day with 1 game). What a clusterf...

Really curious what's going to happen with the Gulf Coast Showcase if there truly are no other teams available to get the field to 6...three games each isn't mathematically possible for a 5-team group. You'd have to either dump someone and go to a 4-team round robin or drop it to two games per team (2 days with 2 games each and 1 day with 1 game). What a clusterf...
Booked my flight last night for Sun night to Wed morning so had planned to miss the Wed game but sigh sure better me games Mon & Tues

Do we just end up with less games this year in that case, or do we schedule some more D2s and D3s?

If the MTE doesn’t happen at all, we can only add one more game for 29 total.

If it drops to a 2-game MTE somehow, we could also add an additional non-MTE game to still hit 31.

If it drops to a 2-game MTE somehow, we could also add an additional non-MTE game to still hit 31.
Add both and make the D3 game an exhibition.

But if we can't find enough teams with games left to schedule for the tourny, how are we going to find teams to play outside the tourny? I know part of it is availablity for the tourny dates, but most teams have a full or nearly full schedule by now, don't they?

And I thought it was a waste of money paying Lunardi. Possibly get him back for next season. 😆

Are you sure Lunardi doesn't have Mooney's agent too and he's on a lifetime consultancy gig? a scheduling cartoon circle between Mooney, Looney, and the Gazelles.

Or maybe we canned him after he didn't give us the PR we expected for it during 19-20'. That was the real reason we hired him anyway. But when u come out with this schedule and show you have no serious interest in at large bids no reason to go down that well again.

Are you sure Lunardi doesn't have Mooney's agent too and he's on a lifetime consultancy gig? a scheduling cartoon circle between Mooney, Looney, and the Gazelles.

Or maybe we canned him after he didn't give us the PR we expected for it during 19-20'. That was the real reason we hired him anyway. But when u come out with this schedule and show you have no serious interest in at large bids no reason to go down that well again.
LOL G but no way want him back just like I thought it was silly even paying him previously for any role. Could this be the worst OOC ever assembled under Mooney?

But if we can't find enough teams with games left to schedule for the tourny, how are we going to find teams to play outside the tourny? I know part of it is availablity for the tourny dates, but most teams have a full or nearly full schedule by now, don't they?
There are still ~70 teams yet to release their OOC schedules. Even if pretty much everyone has an MTE lined up, there appear to still be dozens that aren’t completely firmed up otherwise and may have a spot or two available.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT