ADVERTISEMENT

2 open spots

Originally posted by fan2011:
Indiana finished the year ranked 53 on Kenpom. We finished the year ranked 55. If Stanford Robinson couldn't find playing time on a team that wasn't better than ours why would we think he could find playing time on our team?
He played in all 32 games and had the 8th most mpg on the team. you think there are no sophs on the bench but in the rotation at Indiana, Stanford, Syracuse, Florida, Illinois, Pitt, Uconn, Michigan, Memphis, etc ... that could play for us? that's crazy talk.

sure, I'd like a guy with a better shooting record. it's bizarre that they had him change shooting hands. he sounds like a kid who will definitely benefit from a redshirt year to figure it out and work on that, wherever he goes. but he's clearly very talented, very athletic, and a very tough defender. and despite some bad decisions, comes off very well in all his interviews.

I think he'd be a great addition. we could really use someone in that currently vacated class that graduates in 2018.

Originally posted by spiderman:

He played in all 32 games and had the 8th most mpg on the team. you think there are no sophs on the bench but in the rotation at Indiana, Stanford, Syracuse, Florida, Illinois, Pitt, Uconn, Michigan, Memphis, etc ... that could play for us? that's crazy talk.
I don't understand what you are trying to say here? We should go after players on the bench at these schools simply because they were recruited by these schools? I don't care about the name on the front of a player's jersey or how many stars they had coming out of high school, I care about what they have actually shown on the court.

sure, I'd like a guy with a better shooting record. it's bizarre that they had him change shooting hands. he sounds like a kid who will definitely benefit from a redshirt year to figure it out and work on that, wherever he goes.
The coaching staff having him change shooting hands isn't bizarre. They were trying to fix his shot because he couldn't shoot (and still can't). His form was horrible and he couldn't get the ball in the hoop. Even at the rim.

Stanford Robinson 2015 shooting %:
Shooting % at the rim: 38.7%
2-pt jumpers: 28%
3-pt jumpers: 0%

2011, I understand what you're saying, but you must think everyone was and is wrong about him. I doubt it's that clear. and if Richmond is one of his potential landing spots, then obviously Mooney doubts it too. maybe it'll take a change of scenery.

he'd play the 2/3 here. he'd compete with Josh and Julius for time when eligible, plus whoever else comes in at those spots. he'd fill a spot in an empty class. if he earns time he plays if not he doesn't. but it's crazy to me to not be interested in a guy that was ranked that high, was recruited by those high majors, and earned rotation time at IU if everything else checks out. he'd have a year to work on skills. again, if he's not good enough he doesn't play. not much harm done. one spot out of 13 for a couple of years. but I'd like his chances.

TJ has worked out wonderfully, but that's not the only type of transfer to consider. guys that score 8 ppg as a freshman at Niagra level schools aren't guaranteed to light it up in the A10. and there are plenty of examples of guys who've transfered down a perceived level and been really good for their new team.

2011, I understand what you're saying, but you must think everyone was and is wrong about him. I doubt it's that clear. and if Richmond is one of his potential landing spots, then obviously Mooney doubts it too. maybe it'll take a change of scenery.

I don't think Indiana is wrong about him right now, they don't think he is good enough so he is being Creaned off the team. They don't think he is a valuable basketball player. I do think people were wrong about him coming out of high school, but that is easy to see in hindsight.

but it's crazy to me to not be interested in a guy that was ranked that high, was recruited by those high majors, and earned rotation time at IU if everything else checks out. he'd have a year to work on skills. again, if he's not good enough he doesn't play. not much harm done. one spot out of 13 for a couple of years. but I'd like his chances.

We just think about things differently. I think it is crazy to rely on speculative high school star ratings (which are notoriously unreliable) when we have years of data about how someone actually performs at the college level. Being the 8th man on a team that wasn't better than us last year is also not a selling point. I would rather have our 8th man (Josh Jones) than Stanford Robinson.

TJ has worked out wonderfully, but that's not the only type of transfer to consider. guys that score 8 ppg as a freshman at Niagra level schools aren't guaranteed to light it up in the A10. and there are plenty of examples of guys who've transfered down a perceived level and been really good for their new team.
I have been championing TJ since the moment we knew he was transferring here, long before he ever stepped on the court in a Richmond uniform because he actually proved he was good on the court. I never had a doubt he would be a contributor on our offense. He had great numbers as a freshman and he has put up great numbers here. I was not worried about the name on the front of his jersey (Niagara).

Personally I think we should only consider transfers who have proven themselves on the court. I don't think we should consider transfers who have only proven they aren't good enough to play at Power 5 schools. I would rather take a gamble on a recruit out of high school than someone who has shown they can't play on the level we want to play at (Power 5 / NCAA quality team).

I feel like you put too much emphasis on the fact that his guy was recruited by IU. Power 5 schools whiff on recruits sometimes, this is one of them. High school stars and list of offers are meaningless to me when we have years of data on how a player actually performs against D1 competition.

[/QUOTE]
This post was edited on 4/15 2:39 PM by fan2011

2011, I agree. To me a player who has already proven and shown that they can play at the D-1 level is worth their weight in gold. Someone else has already taken the risk of whether they can play college ball or not. Your analysis of this IU player's shooting percentages and comparisons to Deion and Trey offensive outputs . It is a bit concerning that we would be after a kid like this.

Perhaps, though he does all of the intangibles that don't show up in a box score.
wink.r191677.gif

well, then you two would have passed on Tony Dobbins, Greg Stevenson, Kinte Smith, and Marshall Wood, too.
I think TJ is the only "transfer up" kid we've had. they don't appear very often. and holding these two slots for a HS kid makes no sense. we don't want a 6 man class.

Greg Stevenson's stats before transferring to Richmond:
3FG%: 42
2FG%: 51

I would say take him, he has proved he can play and score efficiently and was being underutilized at Penn State.

Tony Dobbins' stats before Richmond:
3FG%: 23
2FG%: 36

Agreeing with 2011. Haven't seen MW play and very little of SRob but by the numbers couldn't pick them apart from DT. Hopefully MW can be better than DT. MW originally wanting to give up on bball all together scares me that he's a guy who might not be into it seriously? And SRob for his being 3-26 from 3PT and 60% from the FT line would help out UR how?

Originally posted by fan2011:
Greg Stevenson's stats before transferring to Richmond:
3FG%: 42
2FG%: 51

I would say take him, he has proved he can play and score efficiently and was being underutilized at Penn State.

Tony Dobbins' stats before Richmond:
3FG%: 23
2FG%: 36

GW gets 2 transfer commits today. Jared Sina from Seton Hall and Alex Mitola of Dartmouth. They were actually high school teammates. I believe we may have been interested in Mitola.

Reactions: tommyclary
Sina's a big name in NJ. Father is a big time AAU coach, and head coach of one of the top private school hoops programs in the state. Dad also played at Seton Hall and then professionally all over the world. Hall of famer in Portugal. Scored 69 points in a game once.

was in jail and in court three times on three different deals between my junior and senior years at UR. i was OK then and still am OK, at least in my mind, my wife may have a differing opinion. as young adults, we do some stupid things, we get caught up in things not of our making.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT