ADVERTISEMENT

2 open spots

URI picked up a grad transfer. I have seen a couple articles indicating that he is an impact transfer. I am not sure how much time he gets but they did have a definitive need for a shooter, and even FT shooter. He shoots high 30's from 3 and was top 10 in nation in FT %, so does appear to be a fit. On the other hand how much PT available with Matthews, Minnis, Garrett and the other top 100 frosh that I am forgetting.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/31/rhode-island-lands-impact-transfer-four-mcglynn-towson/

Mo I agree some people seem to want to talk about one thing only. It gets boring. There are some negatives out there, everybody has them; but there are MANY positives. I prefer to focus on the positives.

what, no love for my boy Jake Wright?!

CM can shoot for the stars all you want, but I'm giving you one that's more realistic. I just don't see a grad transfer at all. not just the "learning the system" issue. and not knocking our program, but a guy with one year left and impressive credentials is almost certainly looking to play his last year on a bigger stage. not to mention ... despite what some of you seem to think, we don't have a major hole to fill for this season. we have a really strong line-up. to me a much bigger issue is the year after, which is why a regular transfer who sits a year makes plenty of sense.

the ideal transfer is a current sophomore. we have a class with nobody in it. would be nice to add one there. but a current freshman would be fine, too. like Jake Wright!

I think we do have a big spot to fill, a SF. This will be Mooney's defining year and I wouldn't be surprised if he went all out for this year. I think we should get one immediately eligible SF who is a proven scorer. We can use the last scholarship for a guy like Jake Wright or Patrick Rooks.

This post was edited on 4/1 10:45 AM by SpiderHoops32

Agree, 32, though I think we need a SG rather than a SF. We don't "need" a grad transfer...if we are comfortable with Trey Davis playing 30 minutes a game at shooting guard and hoping that the JJ Boys (Josh Jones and Julius Johnson) can give us some offensive punch the other 10. I'm not really comfortable with that, though. I hope Josh is playing 15-20 minutes a game next year - that would mean he has continued to really develop and can be a 10-point-a-game scorer for us, which I think he can.

But I've never seen Johnson play, and I know Trey's limitations offensively. If we could bring in a good 2 guard for a year, let's do it.

It also doesn't worry me that we have no sophomores. Why does that matter?

This post was edited on 4/1 11:09 AM by Eight Legger

if CM was right in bringing in Wood, then you have ANO, Cline, Allen and Wood in the front court. if they're just playing the 4 and 5 spots, then that's 20 minutes each which isn't enough. Allen or Wood will have to spend a lot of time at the 3 next year.

Originally posted by spiderman:
what, no love for my boy Jake Wright?!

I just don't see a grad transfer at all. not just the "learning the system" issue. and not knocking our program, but a guy with one year left and impressive credentials is almost certainly looking to play his last year on a bigger stage. not to mention ... despite what some of you seem to think, we don't have a major hole to fill for this season. we have a really strong line-up. to me a much bigger issue is the year after, which is why a regular transfer who sits a year makes plenty of sense.
+1.

I'd be surprised if we took a grad transfer too. never know but would consider it a long shot. I do see a regular transfer. maybe a late signee frosh too. I prefer to use all the ships.

Probably unrelated, but this kid is in one of our recruiting areas and probably fits our 'academic profile".

RT @HoopExchange: 2015 Cardinal Gibbons (FL) forward Melvin Brooks has re-opened his recruitment from Air Force.

Originally posted by SFspidur:
He was getting Big South-level offers last summer.
Big South offers >> Northern Kentucky offers

Too soon?

laugh.r191677.gif

I'm ok with a grad transfer. Anybody see someone with John Newman skills and a pre-law bachelor's out there?

Originally posted by MolivaManiac:
Probably unrelated, but this kid is in one of our recruiting areas and probably fits our 'academic profile".

RT @HoopExchange: 2015 Cardinal Gibbons (FL) forward Melvin Brooks has re-opened his recruitment from Air Force.
- It's good to be the King.

My guess is that we get a late incoming freshman signee (wasn't Mooney looking at some HS kids a few months ago at Fork Union who are seniors?) and a transfer of some type.

I would be surprised if Mooney didnt know this was coming and already had a plan.

Originally posted by Eight Legger:
My guess is that we get a late incoming freshman signee (wasn't Mooney looking at some HS kids a few months ago at Fork Union who are seniors?) and a transfer of some type.
One of them committed to Creighton and the other committed to Kansas State. I believe one of them was actually sent packing from FUMA right around the time of his commitment.

23...you guys definitely got pounded this year. Sending some sunshine your way.

Our scholarship roster looks like this:

PG (2) - Shawndre Jones, Khwan Fore
SG (3) - Trey Davis, Josh Jones, Julius Johnson
SF (2) - Deion Taylor, Marshall Wood
PF (2) - Terry Allen, TJ Cline
C (2) - ANO, Paul Friendshuh

On the surface, I think that means we actually could go any number of ways with the replacements to Kadeem and Chandler. We probably have 4 guys who could play at the 3 (DT, MW, TD, TA), and maybe 4 who could play at 2 (TD, JJ, JJ, SDJ). We have guys who can move up to 4 and 5 which gives us coverage there for 3 players at each.

Interestingly, the weakest spot might be PG. I don't think we have anyone who can play down to the 1. Trey isn't really capable of being that guy even though he handles the ball a decent amount.

I would not be surprised if we make a PG a heavy emphasis for whatever transfer we go after. Could actually be a combo guard, but I suspect would be someone who is comfortable if pressed into service at the point.

I also thinks this means we have a lot of flexibility to go after whatever "best guy available" is out there since we're reasonably balanced.

We're going to be very unbalanced in the frontcourt in 2016-2017. Our only frontcourt men will be TJ, Marshall, and Paul. And Paul has yet to even play in college. So, I would like to see us add, at least, one transfer big, who sits out next season. Otherwise, we will be counting on freshmen playing some significant minutes in the front court.

I found an old article where Julius was going into senior year talking about how he's worked at the point because he'd play both guard spots in college. certainly possible.

Dylan Ennis, 2 guard from Nova is transferring and immediately available. Averaged 10 points per game and shot 38% from 3 last year. He would look good next to SDJ as a backcourt tandem.

Ennis

Ennis would be HUGE. He has played at Rice and Nova, two schools very similar to UR. He can score. He plays a position of need. He is not looking to transfer up," I would imagine, because he is leaving a school that was in the top-10 all year. We are going to be a tourney-caliber team next year even without him, so we should be highly attractive to him.

B. J. Stith is leaving UVa. Will he transfer to ODU to be with his Dad? He is a 6' 5" guard; I think that UR had recruited him.

So have we been mentioned with anybody yet? I haven't seen anything...

There are a number of transfers available. Be great to get a freshman big guy.

Originally posted by Cooper'sGhost:
Luke Moyer is transferring from Campbell. :)
Should there be a limit on how many times you can transfer? He can't have much eligibility left at this point.

I don't think one and done transfers help the program, in fact may be a negative for recruits. Transfers with at least 2 even better 3 years of eligibility a much better option, even if they have to sit a year.

Maurice Creek got GW to the NCAAs last year as a one-and-done. We saw this year how much of an impact he had in his one year.

In general, I would agree with you, but we have a senior-laden team that already has its leaders. We're not asking a new guy to come in and lead -- just fit in, add some scoring pop and help guarantee us a trip to the tourney. We have to make it this year. There is no alternative.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT