ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark vs Pete Maravich

SpiderRick

Graduate Assistant
Oct 11, 2009
Caitlin Clark has had an amazing career, congratulations to her for the D-1 career scoring record! She is most likely the best woman to ever play the game of basketball. But I cringe when she gets compared to the great Pistol Pete Maravich. Just look at some of the statistics. First of all, Clark played 131 games, Maravich played in 83....just let that sink in for a moment. Back then freshmen could not play varsity basketball Pete averaged 43 points a game, in a time where there was no shot clock and no 3 point field goal. I saw that it was researched that if Maravich had the 3 point opportunity, his career average would have been.....wait for it.....57 points a game (that's 12 3 pointers a GAME for you math heads).

Famous coaches and players who played with and against Pete remark that despite his amazing scoring ability, he was the best all time passer EVER. Not Magic Johnson, John Stockton, or any of the other greats. Pete was a human highlight reel.

Unfortunately, Maravich never played in the NCAA tournament because back then, only conference champions were selected and Kentucky dominated the SEC during his time. He did have a stellar career in the NBA, which unfortunately was cut short after 10 years by injuries. He died at the age of 40 in 1988 of heart failure while playing pickup basketball. He was a Legend to say the least. For those of you on this board who have never seen Maravich play, look on YouTube and you will realize how truly incredible Pete Maravich was...you're in for a treat.

Her record doesn’t count in my opinion. Maravich did it in far less games (only 3 years) and with no 3 point line which obviously makes a huge difference.

I find that three-pointer estimate (it was actually estimated at 13 per game) very difficult to believe. He averaged 16.7 field goals per game at LSU, and I don't buy that over 75% of them were from deep.

Reactions: urfan1
Maravich was a ton of fun to watch. he put on quite a show. but he took 38 shots per game at LSU ... because he played for his dad. I don't know if he's doing that playing for anyone else.

not sure it's fair to credit or blame any one person for wins and losses in a team game, but I think he only played one winning season in the NBA.

Reactions: urfan1
I don’t think it makes sense to compare, too many differences in era.

Caitlin Clark’s accomplishments are incredible and shouldn’t be diminished by saying “well actually, Maravich was better.” If she has officially broken some scoring record as kept by the official NCAA statistics people, let her have it.

Caitlin Clark’s accomplishments are incredible and shouldn’t be diminished by saying “well actually, Maravich was better.” If she has officially broken some scoring record as kept by the official NCAA statistics people, let her have it.
I think the saying “records are made to be broken” applies here.

I don’t think this takes anything away from how good a player Maravich was.

Yeah we're saying the same thing here, it was my whole point that they shouldn't be compared. I was just bringing to the surface of how really special Maravich was. I don't know how old you are but if you're not from that era, take a look at some of his stuff.

Caitlin Clark has had an amazing career, congratulations to her for the D-1 career scoring record! She is most likely the best woman to ever play the game of basketball. But I cringe when she gets compared to the great Pistol Pete Maravich. Just look at some of the statistics. First of all, Clark played 131 games, Maravich played in 83....just let that sink in for a moment. Back then freshmen could not play varsity basketball Pete averaged 43 points a game, in a time where there was no shot clock and no 3 point field goal. I saw that it was researched that if Maravich had the 3 point opportunity, his career average would have been.....wait for it.....57 points a game (that's 12 3 pointers a GAME for you math heads).

Famous coaches and players who played with and against Pete remark that despite his amazing scoring ability, he was the best all time passer EVER. Not Magic Johnson, John Stockton, or any of the other greats. Pete was a human highlight reel.

Unfortunately, Maravich never played in the NCAA tournament because back then, only conference champions were selected and Kentucky dominated the SEC during his time. He did have a stellar career in the NBA, which unfortunately was cut short after 10 years by injuries. He died at the age of 40 in 1988 of heart failure while playing pickup basketball. He was a Legend to say the least. For those of you on this board who have never seen Maravich play, look on YouTube and you will realize how truly incredible Pete Maravich was...you're in for a treat.
If Pete had played during a time when all games are televised as they are now, the country's basketball fans would have gone crazy. Not just his shooting but as you said his ballhandling and passing were incomparable. He was truly a magician with the basketball.

If Pete had played during a time when all games are televised as they are now, the country's basketball fans would have gone crazy. Not just his shooting but as you said his ballhandling and passing were incomparable. He was truly a magician with the basketball.
I remember my dad first showed me his highlights when I was in middle school and was amazed, I’d never heard of him before because obviously I’m a late 90’s kid. Watch his basketball drill videos, those are actually kind of nuts too.

Reactions: SpiderRick
Men don't play against women and vice versa. So I don't get why they announce her as highest scoring in men AND women's college hoops and comparisons to Maravich, etc. They play with different sized balls, different 3 point lines, etc. Her accomplishments are amazing and stand on their own. Same for Pistol Pete.

Her record doesn’t count in my opinion. Maravich did it in far less games (only 3 years) and with no 3 point line which obviously makes a huge difference.
Yes - unreal that Maravich played 3 years and only 80 games. Nowadays - you could play 80 games in 2 years. And no three point line - whereas Clark makes her living from 3 point land. Both are incredible players, but unfortunately - we have seen this before with great Women's players.

Clark will have an unbelievable following in the NCAA tourney - and if her team can make the final four, that will certainly help. But once this college season is over and she goes to the WNBA - the following will fade and fade quickly. She will not score 40 a night in the WNBA, and slowly but surely - we will remember Clark as this great college player, and will not hear much about her WNBA career.

Yes - unreal that Maravich played 3 years and only 80 games. Nowadays - you could play 80 games in 2 years. And no three point line - whereas Clark makes her living from 3 point land. Both are incredible players, but unfortunately - we have seen this before with great Women's players.

Clark will have an unbelievable following in the NCAA tourney - and if her team can make the final four, that will certainly help. But once this college season is over and she goes to the WNBA - the following will fade and fade quickly. She will not score 40 a night in the WNBA, and slowly but surely - we will remember Clark as this great college player, and will not hear much about her WNBA career.
Why don’t you think her 3pt shooting will translate to the WNBA? She is Steph curry like, and could easily have a similar professional career. Have you seen her play?

She will shoot 3's in the NBA, but the defense will be better. So she will not shoot like she does in college. But the biggest issue she will have in the WNBA - she will not get the shots or the amount of shots she gets in college. She is averaging 32 points right now, but she is taking 22-25 shots a night. She will not get that many attempts in the WNBA.

Will she be good in the WNBA - of course. I would expect her to have some deep 3's each night and put up 20 points a game. But that will make her disappear because those types of stats and games just mirror the other top players in the WNBA, but will not make her stand out. The reason everyone is watching her now is because she does things that no one else in college is doing. So its exciting, its new, and its fun to watch. But I think in the WNBA, she will be a good player - but she will put up numbers and games just like the other top players. And eventually - the eyeballs go somewhere else - especially when it is women's sports. Its a sad reality they face for fans and viewers.

She will shoot 3's in the NBA, but the defense will be better. So she will not shoot like she does in college. But the biggest issue she will have in the WNBA - she will not get the shots or the amount of shots she gets in college. She is averaging 32 points right now, but she is taking 22-25 shots a night. She will not get that many attempts in the WNBA.

Will she be good in the WNBA - of course. I would expect her to have some deep 3's each night and put up 20 points a game. But that will make her disappear because those types of stats and games just mirror the other top players in the WNBA, but will not make her stand out. The reason everyone is watching her now is because she does things that no one else in college is doing. So its exciting, its new, and its fun to watch. But I think in the WNBA, she will be a good player - but she will put up numbers and games just like the other top players. And eventually - the eyeballs go somewhere else - especially when it is women's sports. Its a sad reality they face for fans and viewers.
Watch her play. She is on another level not just in scoring, but court vision, and passing as well. She shoots like 40% off the dribble from the logo. There isn't anyone in the WNBA like her.

Saw Watkins play two games against Oregon State this year. She shot a combined 17-for-65. (11-33, 6-32). She is talented, but no Clark.

The closest comparison to Clark is Ionescu, who was every bit as good a shooter and probably a better passer as a collegian. She's been decent in the WNBA, but nowhere as dominant as she was in college.

Reactions: plydogg
Watch her play. She is on another level not just in scoring, but court vision, and passing as well. She shoots like 40% off the dribble from the logo. There isn't anyone in the WNBA like her.
The same was said about players like Diana Taurasi, Candace Parker, Breanna Stewart, Brittney Griner, etc, etc. etc. The list goes on and on and its not that they become bad players in the WNBA, they just are not so superhuman like they were in college and there is just far less interest in the WNBA. Unless Clark scores 30+ a night in the WNBA and makes multiple ridiculious deep 3 pointers like she does now in college - she will disappear like all the other WNBA players.

Have you ever heard of of Jewell Loyd? I have not. But guess what - she is the leading scorer in the WNBA at 25 points a night last year. Clarks first year in the WNBA will have a lot of followers. But it will dwindle off. And she will probably be a very good player. But she will not be like she is in college, and therefore - people will stop following.

Not many follow the WNBA now. 27th year for the league and never made a profit. Sad, but true.

Not many follow the WNBA now. 27th year for the league and never made a profit. Sad, but true.
Thats my point. And there have been many great players before Clark, and after college - no one seems to care much about them because they just can't dominate or do "spectacular" highlight reel type things they did in college. The competition is better, so they come down to earth a bit or just have good numbers - but not the highlights that go with it. Caitlin Clark could average 20 points a night in the WNBA and dish out 5-6 assists a night, and after a year or so - no one will be watching. Just the sad nature of the WNBA.

Reactions: KE Spider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT