ADVERTISEMENT

Walz - noticeable improvement

brooklyn brownstone

Graduate Assistant
Oct 31, 2007
Much like I didn't see Harris's role this year - I was wrong, I love his current role as a switchable piece on defense, who can give selective points on offense - the same is true for Walz. I didn't see much last year, little offense, too many turnovers, but he has really surprised me in a positive way this season. One of the things I like the most is that he does not shy away from physical play, and seems to relish the 1 v 1 matchups in the paint. I thought his post defense was light years better than Quinn's last night, Walz refused to get backed down like they were doing to Quinn. And when they dunked on a switch, Walz came down and made a very nice shot in the post to answer.

I am on record as thinking redshirts from season start are a waste in the era of the portal, but with Soulis's injury issues and the way the team's rotation is going, I don't see a role for Soulis this year, so I hope he does take the medical redshirt if available. Would space he and Walz out nicely in the classes too and allow him additional development time, especially to get stronger.

Great job by Walz to work on his game and improve and great job by the staff to instill that mentality as part of his development, as well as giving him a clearly defined role this year. He doesn't (much) have the Moon quick hook this season, and is empowered to try post moves and look for open 3s at the top of the key. That was something I had not seen at all last year, as well as his TO issues last year, still a work in progress, but better there too.

Is he a lefty? He seems to favor that little baby hook with the left hand, but for some reason I thought he was a righty. Regardless, it's a tough shot to defend and he's making a decent number of them.

pretty sure he is a righty, but that lefty brownstone mentioned was very nice. Agree with much of this. In my preseason write up - I said that I wanted Walz to force his way on the court and not be content to just keep developing in practice. He has played well in his time, and provided some really nice offense at times, in addition to physical defense and rebounding. He also had a huge turn around jumper vs Bonnies with the shot clock expiring. Really developing nicely.

agreed. I'm not worried when Walz comes on the floor. he looks comfortable offensively, and he's a tough defender.
I hope Soulis is healthy soon and can get some work in to build upon. a medical redshirt is tempting, but not sure we'd be comfortable with him as the backup next year if he can't get back on the floor this season.

Fair, spiderman, but I'm going with your previous thoughts on assessing M. Randolph last year - the limited minutes he may get this year aren't worth burning the year of eligibility. Especially - doubly so - if we get him for 4 full seasons as a contributor as a result. This isn't an early season redshirt, it's based on how the season has gone and how it looks going forward. Between the foot issues - always dicey for a big and better to let fully heal IMO - and the lack of any sort of open rotation spot, what does this season offer? Best case scenario for Soulis is one of UR's worst case scenarios, that he's needed because of injury to one of our rotation centers.

I definitely don't want to play him with the foot if not 100% recovered. I'm just saying if he can't be healthy this year, not sure we can count on him next year. like you said ... big guys and their feet.

Randolph was a discussion on a developmental redshirt. we weren't doing that with Soulis. if healthy he was playing. I'm not thinking about having him in 2027-28 right now. but sure, it would be nice.

yeah, I'd argue at this point where he would have to re-start conditioning again just to be available for 10+ games, the upside is not enough. But I don't understand your point that if he's not healthy this year we cannot rely on him next? Because he didn't get any run bc he was injured? He's not going to get any run the rest of the way in all likelihood. To me the things are unrelated. He can be injured and not play this year and still be an asset next year - he's not getting training reps this season. Unless you think no one with zero playing time can be an asset the following year? I'm just not tracking the logic.

Reactions: VT4700 and urfan1
Soulis would get minimal playing time right now even if he were healthy. See here: Tanner, Smith. Absent a significant injury to Walz/Quinn, I'd preserve the redshirt option on purpose, because the upside of burning it just isn't there at the immediate moment. If there is an injury, then by all means, be ready.

yeah, I'd argue at this point where he would have to re-start conditioning again just to be available for 10+ games, the upside is not enough. But I don't understand your point that if he's not healthy this year we cannot rely on him next? Because he didn't get any run bc he was injured? He's not going to get any run the rest of the way in all likelihood. To me the things are unrelated. He can be injured and not play this year and still be an asset next year - he's not getting training reps this season. Unless you think no one with zero playing time can be an asset the following year? I'm just not tracking the logic.
maybe I'm overreacting to these foot sprains. he's played a handful of minutes. he's sprained his feet twice. he's missed substantial time twice. maybe it's just bad luck and will never happen again after he heals. I hope so.

Reactions: spider23
his first sprain was a contact injury in a game, nothing hereditary or inherently structurally flawed in his foot in that one, just bad luck (like many ankle sprains are.) No idea about how the 2nd one occurred (which I thought was mentioned as a fracture?)

Point being, I see no injury history dating back to HS to indicate this might be a repetitive thing year over year. It's kind of weird for you to suggest it that way for the future, honestly.

Reactions: urfan1
I don't know anything about either injury, or if he's had foot problems before this. I wouldn't think twice about one, but two so quickly has me a little concerned. but I hope you're right. hopefully never has another.

agreed. I'm not worried when Walz comes on the floor. he looks comfortable offensively, and he's a tough defender.
I hope Soulis is healthy soon and can get some work in to build upon. a medical redshirt is tempting, but not sure we'd be comfortable with him as the backup next year if he can't get back on the floor this season.
I like Walz as well, but remember that many of us liked Grace to step into the starting rotation once Grant left, Mooney went out and got Quinn. Walz has shown a lot of growth and he has potential but right now if you are asking me if I am comfortable with him being an incumbent starter next year at the center position, I would say no.

Like Grace being a starter, I guess that is fine if you want to finish in the bottom half of the league. Not that Walz is Grace, they are different players, but I don't see A-10 starting center right now in Walz, I see a nice back-up center/complimentary piece in him.

I think in a starter's role next year, Walz will be comparable to Quinn. maybe a little less offense, maybe a little more defense.

and the starting backcourt of Tyne, Hunt and Bailey will be strong, especially defensively.

big question is replacing Bigelow. Noyes will get first crack. Robinson and McGlothin may compete for that spot early. Bigelow has big shoes to fill though.

I think Mooney will be heavy in the transfer portal. We are graduating a lot of talent and don't have a lot on the roster. If he doesn't hit the transfer portal, next year will be a true rebuilding year.

Reactions: MDspider8
agreed. if Graham continues walk on status, we have 2 spots to fill in the portal. will be interesting to see what Mooney does. will Mooney be comfortable with Noyes and the 2 freshmen filling Bigelow's shoes? do we need another in the backcourt?

agreed. if Graham continues walk on status, we have 2 spots to fill in the portal. will be interesting to see what Mooney does. will Mooney be comfortable with Noyes and the 2 freshmen filling Bigelow's shoes? do we need another in the backcourt?
I hope Noyes does not get frustrated and transfer. I think he has the potential to be really good, he just doesn't seem to have a good comfort level in the games.

IMO Noyes is in the "run the offense" period of his career. We see it often when guys get their first opportunities, they are often not playing naturally, they're playing not to make mistakes in the motion offense. You can almost watch them make decisions with the ball and go through progressions - which, at the speed of the game, have to be instinctive and not thought through. So most often, they end up just making the obvious pass, which has little impact.

I like his rebounding and I think his shot is solid. Needs a higher comfort level, more confidence, fewer turnovers. We thought the same about many players who have panned out over the years. Dji is one of them currently. Had the quick hook, too many turnovers, was in and out with injuries preventing the continuity and confidence that comes with repeated time on the court, couldn't find a good role until this year when it all clicked.

Noyes really needs to develop an off the dribble game IMO. He could use his athleticism to finish at the rim the way Dji is doing, and keep defenders from focusing on him only as a 3 point threat.

i think that’s all correct offensive analysis for Noyes, but his issue is defense. That’s why he hasn’t been getting consistent minutes before his injury. Just doesn’t have the same defensive intensity as the other guys (even including Roche he works hard) so if defense is our team’s identity we’re worse with him out there. A few careless turnovers also haven’t helped, but he just doesn’t have the college body you’d expect in year 3.

Also who knows - maybe Mooney has learned from the criticism of his teams being soft and and not good enough on D in years past. Maybe he prefers Harris’ minutes now because he’s much better on D and whatever negative impact on “fluidity” is less important this year

I like Walz's play this year. More playing time will, of course, result in better play and more confidence. Walz is a nice young man, a good citizen. I have been a fan of his since we signed him in the fall of his senior year at 6'10" and 215 pounds - then he showed up at UR in July at 6'11" and 240. He may surprise some people this year. I would really like to see Mike succeed.

I feel the two current recruits are to replace Bigelow & Harris. Now we need two upgrades over Quinn & King ;)

Reactions: spiderman
Walz has impressed with his development. Based on the in person reports on here from his HS play, etc, he has really shown something this season. If he continues this rate of improvement he could be very good and hard to keep off the court next season. I am hoping Soulis can get healthy. May be hard to get him minutes, but would love for him to get fully healthy and get some PT this season.

Reactions: spiderman
I hope Noyes does not get frustrated and transfer. I think he has the potential to be really good, he just doesn't seem to have a good comfort level in the games.
This is Noyes 3rd year in the program, so if he not comfortable yet, I don't know. Not a great sign in my books. Yes, love his athleticism but I think we are seeing why he didn't play much last year despite this board, myself included, pleading for more time.

He doesn't seem to be adjusted to the speed of the game. He's got skills that is for sure but I he was given a golden opportunity by being named a starter and he wasn't able to seize. Dji seized it and will remain the starter and with D-Lo back now and Tynne getting minutes, I feel like he could be the odd man out in our rotation. Roche is giving him a run for his money on this as well.

Kinda hard to take advantage of a "golden opportunity" of his starts when playing with guards who look to shoot first. How much opportunity did he really get? And of course, there's always the Mooney Hook lingering overhead. So many times we've seen young players who are afraid to make a mistake, so as soon as they get the ball they pass it off.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Noyes got the starts early and he played fine. nothing huge but he was solid. he's a good ball player. he does have the chance to be really good.
but Dji's better right now. and Bigelow's better. moving Dji to forward changed things. it's close between Noyes and Roche but Mooney's currently leaning Roche. can't play everyone.
he'll still get chances this year, and certainly next year.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Noyes got the starts early and he played fine. nothing huge but he was solid. he's a good ball player. he does have the chance to be really good.
but Dji's better right now. and Bigelow's better. moving Dji to forward changed things. it's close between Noyes and Roche but Mooney's currently leaning Roche. can't play everyone.
he'll still get chances this year, and certainly next year.
With Hunt back, we are at a 9 man rotation without Noyes. I'm not sure how many more chances he should and will get this year.

He is still rehabbing his ankle or whatever was injured a couple of games ago. He and Soulis were not in uniform last night.

Philly Bob on broadcast said the athletic trainer mentioned he was about a week away.

Philly Bob also got his Eagles reference in. Was going to have a Wawa hoagie during the game.

I loathe the Wawa crap. So damn annoying.

Keeping with this thread, I though Walz had a rough game last night, couldn't find a rhythm. Some games are like that off the bench.

Quinn hit his head pretty hard on the floor last night. I was a little surprised they didn't do some sort of concussion screening on him (I assume they didn't do much other than ask if he was okay, because he was back in fairly quickly), but they may still do one. Definitely had thoughts of Walz needing to be our starter.

Most of us thought prior to season he’d make impact this year. He was given starting opportunities, but he didn’t seem to deliver. Then relegated to substitute and buried further down the bench before getting hurt. Tough way to be 1/2 way through the season. I’m not sure what it’ll take for him to regain minutes once he’s healthy but right now not in a good place. Hope he can fix what’s going on and turn things around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT