ADVERTISEMENT

UR Greatest Shooting Guards

SpiderTrap

Graduate Assistant
Nov 6, 2007
We did point guards on here last week, how about shooting guards - who you got on your list?

In no particular order:

Gonzalvez
Dobbins
R. Brown
D. Brothers
J Stevenson (I will put G. Stevenson at forward when we get there)

Reactions: Monkeyhouse2
1) Curtis Blair
2) Gonzo / Rodney Rice
3) Brothers/ Kendall Anthony
4) Reggie Brown/Kass Weaver
5) Dobbins

I only go back so far. Curtis was clutch and made huge plays to lead us to the NCAA, as did Gonzo. Curtis was a 2ND ROUND NBA DRAFT PICK, and may have stuck in the league longer if Sleepy Floyd didn't come back sooner. Curtis made more big shots than I can remember, not the least of which was a CAA semifinal buzzer beater vs American with the player literally pulling his left arm down while Curtis sank the game winner.

Reactions: mojo-spider
Not sure where downtown Reggie Brown ranks but always liked him. One thing he’d win among the shooting guards...highest arc. Man he could make it rain w that jumper.
It’s a shame he got in that car accident and messed up his back or he could of been one of the greats. Tony Dobbins was my favorite SG to watch. Still remember him nailing that game winner at Phog Allen.

I got Dobbins more as a PG, as you remember on that 2004 team - he primarily brought the ball up - even on that last play of the game to hit the winner. Skrocki was more of the SG on that team taking the jumpers and threes along with Reggie Brown and Bucknor.

Greg Stevenson I would have as the next category, Small Forward. He could shoot 3's, but didn't take a lot of them - did most of his damage attacking the basket.

Reactions: Ferrum Spider
What's funny about Jarod Stevenson being listed above, and Greg being assumed to be in the small forward listings, is that Jarod played as a 3 when he played for the Spiders. Maybe he was a third guard, but typically it was Cueto and Oliver at the two main guard spots for the first three years (prior to Marseilles Brown arriving). Then Greg I thought more played as a 4 during his years as a Spider.

Reactions: spiderman
What's funny about Jarod Stevenson being listed above, and Greg being assumed to be in the small forward listings, is that Jarod played as a 3 when he played for the Spiders. Maybe he was a third guard, but typically it was Cueto and Oliver at the two main guard spots for the first three years (prior to Marseilles Brown arriving). Then Greg I thought more played as a 4 during his years as a Spider.
Both of the Stevenson brothers were forwards in my opinion. Greg was definitely a 4 but probably our best shooting forward of all time (I wasn't around for all of those guys in the 80's so that is my caveat). One of my all time favorite Spiders even though he only played 2 years. Flat out dominant player. Like Gonzo, completely under appreciated in Spider lore.

Greg was so close to being a back to back CAA player of the year too. It was only because Mason had the Army vet, George Evans, that blocked Greg from that mantle both years. They were both neck and neck in stats across the board too. I always thought it was the Army part that gave Evans the leg up in those votes.

Greg was so close to being a back to back CAA player of the year too. It was only because Mason had the Army vet, George Evans, that blocked Greg from that mantle both years. They were both neck and neck in stats across the board too. I always thought it was the Army part that gave Evans the leg up in those votes.
And the fact that he was like 28 years old and playing college ball.

Still despise Tom Yeager to this day for banning us from the tournament that season and IMO costing us a NCAA bid.

Reactions: mojo-spider
Still despise Tom Yeager to this day for banning us from the tournament that season and IMO costing us a NCAA bid.
Agreed - I don't even think the Spiders needed to win the CAA tourney to get in, but just needed another game or two to boost the record a little more. Not to mention - we won the league that season, so had a good chance of winning the tourney.

I think I would always be comfortable with Kendall Anthony or Kevin Anderson taking the last shot. Best pure shooters we have had are Brothers and Sherod, though neither could or can create their own shot.

I haven't heard that name in a long time. Please discuss,

I mean with a name like that you have to include him on the list. Think he stayed at UR for a few weeks into his freshman season and then he disappeared.

In no particular order:

John Schweitz
Kelvin Johnson
Kendall Anthony
Darien Bothers
Chris Fleming

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

I haven't heard that name in a long time. Please discuss,
“Vetter said Flint Hill does not offer athletic scholarships, although the coach does provide accommodations at his home for one of his top players -- Bebe Bocachica, a 6-foot-5 senior from Ponce, Puerto Rico, who was recently dismissed from the team for violating team rules, according to Vetter.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...ketball/08140e1b-5123-413d-a956-00a822259410/

“Richmond is expected to sign two more players to scholarships made available because former Spiders William Masscnhurg and Bebe Bocachica decided to transfer.”

https://collegian.richmond.edu/?a=d&d=COL19880407.2.52

Bebe Bocachica!!
the most memorable thing about Bocachica was the fun the PA announcer had with his name...

i believe this was back in the 80's before the PA guys became part of the entertainment...this name made holding each syllable for an extra second mandatory...

even my children were mimicking the PA guy...it's a shame he disappeared so quickly...he could have become a star...

Go Spiders!

Flemings name was the firat that popped into my head actually and think, shot fir shot, he might have been THE best shooter in a Spider uniform. But i put Curtis Blair because Fleming really didnt even start did he? I know he started in spots, but i dont consider him a starter and therefore passed on him. Heck, Vebinskis hasnt missed a three pointer yet but couldnt put him on that list either...

Bobby "Shaky Jake" Jacobs. It didn't happen often but when he got hot he never missed.

If you're old enough to know Schweitz and Johnson why no Curtis Blair?

"Because I think the five I listed were better." - Captain Obvious

20181211-RVS-Hotels-19-Camera-Point-002-LAYERS-beard-crop.png

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT