ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan King vs. Jacob Gilyard

yeah, both a lot of fun. different mentality. Gilyard a floor general getting everyone involved. almost had to beg him to take over when needed but he certainly could and did in some big spots.

King is an alpha dog. man he's fun to watch. one of our best scoring PGs ever. shame we only get him for one season.

yeah, both a lot of fun. different mentality. Gilyard a floor general getting everyone involved. almost had to beg him to take over when needed but he certainly could and did in some big spots.

King is an alpha dog. man he's fun to watch. one of our best scoring PGs ever. shame we only get him for one season.
We only get King for one season, but he could be a big reason why we could have success again next year. I could certainly see us landing another great PG in the portal next year. "This is what King did for us....we want you to be that guy".

King does remind me of the great Gilyard in many ways. One special way is the step-back move to create space to take the shot. Both King and Gilyard are great at that move.

Reactions: urfan1
King seems to have a better long distance jump shot. Both are good at the step-back move. Gilyard is quicker and was certainly the steals king. He was a very good floor general.

Well summed up. I always wanted Gilly to be more assertive out there, sometimes he deferred too much. King is a true alpha PG, he will distribute but he is gonna get his and he is gonna let the other team know that as well.

We only get King for one season, but he could be a big reason why we could have success again next year. I could certainly see us landing another great PG in the portal next year. "This is what King did for us....we want you to be that guy".
Exactly. Mooney is already widely known as a coach who can develop great PG's, but now he can hit the portal market this year and show what he can do for transfer PG looking for a bigger stage to show themselves on.

Yep, I mentioned this in another thread. Can be a great selling point. Of course, I am not sure how there was not more interest in him to begin with. His size of course. And I think his numbers for the entire season last season were down from previous, BUT he put up big numbers at the end of the season.

not just King. Mooney has a TON of tape over his career to show smaller guards.
what smaller PG wouldn't want to play for him?

Reactions: urfan1
In the two short years of the portal era, Mooney has shown himself to have a much better recruiter and talent evaluator than he is with high school recruiting. Yes, the talent eval should be easier because you can see what players are doing in college already, but I think he has been able to out recruit for specific talent that fills specific needs on our team and the type of player who fits his system.

King, D-Lo, Harris this year. Roche, Quinn, Bigelow last year. That is six solid hits in my book for filling needs. His high school success over the past 4 years has been pretty poor in my opinion. We've got Tynne and probably a nice back up center in Walz to show for the past 3 years of high school recruiting. Noyes is all that remains from a 4 man class, 3 years ago, and he is buried on our bench at present.

Reactions: Gallipoli
Yep, I mentioned this in another thread. Can be a great selling point. Of course, I am not sure how there was not more interest in him to begin with. His size of course. And I think his numbers for the entire season last season were down from previous, BUT he put up big numbers at the end of the season.
I am glad we chose each other !

Especially after last year where we turned the reigns over to a freshman PG. Think those days may be over. Why suffer through a 2-3 year rebuild when you can bring in a seasoned PG and make them even better?

In the two short years of the portal era, Mooney has shown himself to have a much better recruiter and talent evaluator than he is with high school recruiting. Yes, the talent eval should be easier because you can see what players are doing in college already, but I think he has been able to out recruit for specific talent that fills specific needs on our team and the type of player who fits his system.

King, D-Lo, Harris this year. Roche, Quinn, Bigelow last year. That is six solid hits in my book for filling needs. His high school success over the past 4 years has been pretty poor in my opinion. We've got Tynne and probably a nice back up center in Walz to show for the past 3 years of high school recruiting. Noyes is all that remains from a 4 man class, 3 years ago, and he is buried on our bench at present.
Great post. It got me thinking of the craziness in the transfer portal and how difficult it likely is for high school guys going through the recruiting process. Easier for coaches to see a player has proven it at the college level than to take one without any experience. But each team has to fill their roster so there will be spots somewhere, just maybe not at top levels.

We should be able to pull a talented guard like this (maybe not THIS good) from lower leagues most years moving forward. That's the bar we need to meet in order to continue this type of run, and it should be doable. King having this level of success sure helps.

Reactions: urfan1 and spider23
A10 Flamethrower Gilly is what we're seeing from King when he goes on these heaters. King is much more of a shot hunter than Gilyard was, Jacob was the consummate point guard. Remember how rare Gilyard turnovers were too, King gets loose with the ball more often. I wish (and still wish with him in the NBA) that Gilly hunted his own shot more often, but it's not exactly in his DNA. It's been noted how well Jordan gets elevation on his jumper and I totally agree, it is a vital piece to his success, I love his jumper form. (to combine all the threads, I wish Tyler had this form - he'd be in the NBA right now if he did.)

But yeah, this season has been special watching him go on these tears. Heat check shots from 32 feet that he makes, 11 points in 2 minutes, these kinds of bursts are fabulous. Hoping for one each half vs Dayton.

Especially after last year where we turned the reigns over to a freshman PG. Think those days may be over. Why suffer through a 2-3 year rebuild when you can bring in a seasoned PG and make them even better?
Absolutely. But getting the likes of a Jordan King in portal regularly is a challenge. He’s a special talent.

Reactions: spider23 and urfan1
Sure, but maybe Moon can also utilize the proven examples of his portal successes to pull some high-major guys that didn't fit on those teams. That's the next evolution of his portal work IMO. JaRin Stevenson at Alabama is the #1 guy to monitor - having a nice freshman season at Alabama, he'd be an immediate focal point here.

Also, anyone know anything about Rodney Rice? He left the VaTech program after an ok freshman season (that was injury-marred) but doesn't seem to be playing anywhere this year?

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Sure, but maybe Moon can also utilize the proven examples of his portal successes to pull some high-major guys that didn't fit on those teams. That's the next evolution of his portal work IMO. JaRin Stevenson at Alabama is the #1 guy to monitor - having a nice freshman season at Alabama, he'd be an immediate focal point here.

Also, anyone know anything about Rodney Rice? He left the VaTech program after an ok freshman season (that was injury-marred) but doesn't seem to be playing anywhere this year?
To have any chance of Jarin or an equivalent, think we would need to double or triple what our total NIL was last year - but maybe that is possible if this season continues to go the way it is.

FWIW, I know it is highly unlikely that guys having good seasons at high majors would want to move to the A10, same for anyone that will command a big NIL number. Stevenson was top of mind because of the UR connection.

I'm thinking more of guys where the fit isn't right at current school - they're not getting time or opportunities, and thus not putting up the numbers. For those guys, I'd imagine the NIL would not need to be high, as they have not been productive and need the opportunity to show what they can be.

Moon has done a very good job on the step up in competition portal guys, but there could be guys going the other way that could be just as good for UR. Dunno. Either way, very good portal job so far.

No ones transferring from a P5 to us unless they're homesick or underperforming. Id love to get Cam Gregory from St. Francis here should he ever enter the portal. Though I think hell command P5 offers/NIL.

No ones transferring from a P5 to us unless they're homesick or underperforming. Id love to get Cam Gregory from St. Francis here should he ever enter the portal. Though I think hell command P5 offers/NIL.
I generally agree that the key to our success is finding guys who are performing well in mid-major programs and want to transfer up to an A-10 program. I think we wanna stay away from underperforming P5 guys. The difference in hoops from a P5 and an A-10 level is small and if a kid can't hack it at a P5, unlikely they are going to come here and be a superstar. Likewise the difference between a mid-major and A-10 is also not that great, so if a kid is putting up really good numbers at a mid major, I think the generally translates well to being able to produce here.

I think we've seen that with King, D-Lo, Quinn, and Bigs. The only player I would question that happening is Roche but I think part of the deal with Roche is that his athleticism is a barrier for him. He could get away with that in Big South, here the athletes are better and if you can't match that, it could be difficult.

I haven't checked, but people expected Rice to follow some former VT assistant to Maryland, as I recall.

• Haha
Reactions: spiderman
Eh, I don’t agree that only mid major guys work for UR in the portal. Why would you limit yourself?

And I don’t take it as underperforming when I’m talking about opportunity. I def. see a distinction. Same as we are offering Quinn, et al the opportunity to play a level up - we’d be offering a guy opportunity he wasn’t getting to showcase his ability. Speaking of the Stevenson family, Greg Stevenson is the perfect example of a guy we got from a major conf team who turned out great. 2 years at PSU, 3.8 and 4.2 ppg. At UR over 1000 points in 2 years. Was he underperforming? Or just not given an opportunity to show off his skills? We now offer proven opportunity to play and proven success stories for portal guys.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT