ADVERTISEMENT

Up Next - UMASS

Yes, thinking that is really an excuse, not sure how far there fans travel - would think if mostly local a non issue. I know I drove 1.5 hour plus in the snow one year :).
I have lived in areas where heavy snow was common. Doesn't matter how much fell, school was open and work went on as scheduled every time. You learn to deal with it and life goes on.

Where UMass is Strong

Offensive Rebounding: They are a team that puts up a lot of shots, and because they don't make the majority of them, they get a lot of offensive boards, ranking 18th in the country per game. On the defensive end they rank 171st, so I'm not sure this team is too strong overall on the boards. But, it's something to look out for, especially since we've seen this before.

Getting Shots Off: UMass protects the basketball well, Ranking 1st in A-10 play in TOV per game. Thus, they get a lot of shots off in the games they play. They rank 18th in the country in 2PA per game, 2nd in the conference. Strong defense inside the arc is vital to beating UMass. If you get their turnovers up and protect the rim, we have a good shot.

Where UMass is Weak

Shooting Efficiency: Though UMass gets shots off, they don't go in. They shoot under 45% from 2 and 34% from 3, those numbers are particularly poor. Only person to look out for would've been Fernandes, but he's been out, which has been a major loss. Look out for RJ Lewis outside the arc to do damage as their best 3 point shooter, and for Dyondre Dominguez to own the post.

I really expect a win tonight especially without Noah F. UMass has bigger offensive issues than Spiders. Only concern is letting them get too many second chance opportunities. Martin's teams always have attacked the glass and this one is no different.

UR offensive problem is a nasty 3PT shooting SLUMP. They are only 29% in A10 with Davidson only team lower at 26%. At least Davidson realized if not going down, take less. Not Mooney's team who are also 2nd in A10 in 3PTA at 44%. Look at these A10 numbers from the 5 players who attempt the most (20+)......

24% Burton
27% Roche
31% Nelson
14% Bigelow
38.5% Matty Saving Grace

No matter how much Martin will play bully-ball tonight, please Mooney try, try, try to go inside. Hopefully the 3PT shooting improves starting tonight. Though if it doesn't can't keep chucking them up.

With pessimism abound and can't say I'm not disappointed but being 4-3 is not the end. I see a relatively easy rest of schedule with very winnable games outside of Dayton, St Louis, and VCU being a struggle to get a W. It starts tonight though. Road game, whatever other excuse I expect a win!

Good grief more turnovers than points. What is wrong with this group?

The broadcast showed a umass player missing a dunk in warmups as they cut to break. A questionable choice

Only play I can't comprehend is a 7footer getting within a foot of the basket and then passes it out? Go strong, whatever put the shot up.

Burton doesn’t finish very well. He either misses the shot or ends up on the floor

UMass is a well-oiled machine, guys. We really shouldn't expect to win a game like this or even really ever get an early lead, either. Even though they are missing two starters, including their best player, this team is probably one of the most dangerous in the nation (whose name starts with M and ends with "chusetts"), so put some damn respect on their name.

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Quinn airball three...nice out of bounds play with shot clock expiring.

Quinn took like half an hour to wind up for that blocked attempt, but I'll take the Roche four-pointer that resulted!

Really wanted the UMass announcers to yell out "the Finnish finish!" there.

Pathetic charge call. Ref was mad at Burton because he argued the out of bounds call with him at the other end

Horrible call on Burton, especially when you compare the beating Grace took down low earlier

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT