ADVERTISEMENT

The Gifts that Keeps on Giving

It really is. All 3 recruits and one rising sophomore, gone! Boy Blunder is earning his nickname so far. Keep it up, Willie!

Little Willie seems to have this recruiting game a bit backwards. You are supposed to bring players into your program not run them off.

I'm sure with his background though he will be able to replace these 4 players, with equally capable if not better players.
roll.r191677.gif

C'mon, this is pretty common a coach leaves and the recruits look to back out.

I can't ever remember all members of a top-30 recruiting class leaving because a new coach came onboard. Even at lower levels, to lose the entire class of recruits? That's pretty rare. Then again, they all signed with Shaka U, not VCU, so it makes sense.

Probably the best thing about Tevin Mack getting VCU his release is that his tweet after we beat VCU at the Robins Center remains true: He'll never lose to Richmond again!

Well...at least not as a Lamb. Who knows where he ends up and if we face him, very well could beat his next team.

Is that smoke I smell from the Siegel Center? It seems as if Shaka lit a small trash can fire and it's expanding.

I don't take any comfort in the Lambs' woes. They still will have D1 talent, when smoke settles. We can't take them for granted. But, we can learn from their experience. This may be CM's last year with the Spiders, let's hope we handle the transition to a new coach, with more aplomb.

At least a few Lambs may return to the fold, once they discover what their real options are.

Lamb fans also really worried that Terry Larrier will bail.

Personally, I don't think that makes a lot of sense for him to leave, he'd have to sit another year, and that wouldn't be good for his career prospects.

I think the Lambs will have a very hard time replacing the incoming class plus Tillman.

Originally posted by TBSpyder:

I don't take any comfort in the Lambs' woes. They still will have D1 talent, when smoke settles.
Oh, they will still have D-1 talent but their days as a consistent Top 25 program bringing in Top 100 recruits, seems to be over. If their entire recruiting class leaves, plus Tilman (plus Weber and Graham to graduation), that is a lot of talent walking out the door. You just don't replace talent like that, especially when you have an unproven coach who no one has ever heard of.

some of these guys may test the waters and find that they have to re-up with rpi, no takers at their level or higher. what is the deal with larrier, know nothing about him. why would he have to sit out a year? is he an incoming frosh or a transfer?

Larrier was a freshman last year who played 10-15 minutes a game, I think. He will be a good player for someone, hopefully not for VCU. If he leaves, they are going to have a helluva time next year scoring points.

If they lose Larrier there in for some serious rebuilding. I see him being the man if he stays and taking 10+ shots a game, not sure if he'd want to leave that. The A10 is not just a conference you reload in year after year it's much more cyclical then the CAA. Xavier was the only program that could sustain that.

Larrier is their most promising player. I agree, if he leaves it will be pretty devastating to the sheep. Seems like Gilmore may be staying since Shaka left.

As much as I like to see our rival suffer a bit, this is not good for the A10 or for us. I want a strong VCU, a team we can play twice a year and count as two good wins. Definitely shows you how important the coach is vs. the name of the school. It's everything, now VCU has to rebuild and possibly didn't bring in the best coach, but because of wanting to keep Havoc alive, their selection pool of coaches became quite small. Let's see how this plays out...

The best thing for us would be for someone to uncover that a host of NCAA violations occurred while Smart was there and for the program to get the death penalty. Short of that, however, we don't really need them to be a strong team. It doesn't help us if they are, and it doesn't hurt us if they aren't. The A-10 is a strong league and will always have strong teams, whether it's VCU or someone else. We will have chances to get a lot of good wins in league play every year.

VCU being weak gives us the opportunity to earn more exposure locally and regionally if we are better. We need to do this to re-establish ourselves in this area not as an afterthought but as a main thought. If we start going to the tourney every year while they go .500 and play in the CIT, that's much better than both of us going every year.

I agree with TBSpyder. Competition makes you stronger. Having them become a cupcake does the A-10 no good and certainly doesn't help us.
How many times have they beaten us until this year, and then we lost in the tournament.
It's sour grapes to wish them ill. They haven't done anything wrong except build a good program.
And before you start your nonsense- I love when we beat them because of their strong program. Its not all that thrilling to beat a George Mason- oh wait, we couldn't do that.

Sorry, Annap. With all due respect, the Ulla has no respect for the thugs at VCU in the slums of Richmond.

Agree 100% Annap. Despite the irrational jealousies of some on this board, a strong VCU has been good for the A10 and for Richmond. I like seeing them knocked down a peg or two, but a total collapse would not be good.

Enjoy this while you can, I understand. A collapse is laughable. The good news on our new recruits will start rolling in soon enough. With Wade we will ultimately be a more diverse team on both ends of the floor and tougher to game plan for.

The reports of our death have been greatly exaggerated!'

It is comforting and encouraging to know that VCU's new coach got his training as a manager of the basketball team at Clemson. Go Tigers! This is great!

Light'n up MrVCU, it just a basketball team, not your family business. Just good to see the RPI'ers falling off their high sheep for a change. :)

Originally posted by Eight Legger:
The best thing for us would be for someone to uncover that a host of NCAA violations occurred while Smart was there and for the program to get the death penalty. Short of that, however, we don't really need them to be a strong team. It doesn't help us if they are, and it doesn't hurt us if they aren't. The A-10 is a strong league and will always have strong teams, whether it's VCU or someone else. We will have chances to get a lot of good wins in league play every year.

VCU being weak gives us the opportunity to earn more exposure locally and regionally if we are better. We need to do this to re-establish ourselves in this area not as an afterthought but as a main thought. If we start going to the tourney every year while they go .500 and play in the CIT, that's much better than both of us going every year.
Eight, saying that we don't need VCU to be good is very shortsighted. The primary reason we were in the bubble conversation was two regular season wins over them as a top25 rpi team. Without that, no way we are even in the conversation.

we should want them to be good and for UR to be better than them.

am sorry but if rpi goes 3-27 next year, would applaud for months. do not care if they are strong, hope they are not and any intelligent SPID who wants them good, needs counseling.

For the record, if vcu goes 0-28 for the next 5 years that is fine by me. Am fine with the rpi hit. If we take care of business in our ooc and with the strength of the league we shouldnt need or want to rely upon Vcu wins as our resume builder. Am sick of being treated like a second class program in richmond, I want them to be our whipping boy instead.

What?? We don't need them to be good, our wins against top 50 rpi opponents or whatever will be fine. Screw them I hope they suck forever
flush.r191677.gif
. Other A-10 members will be good (including us) and will hopefully pick up the slack for the conference. I think Dayton is going to be a powerhouse for as long as Archie is there and I think we will have a very strong A-10 next year.

To the continued bedlam on Broad.

Spinner, I'm an intelligent spider and don't need counseling. As long as we are better than them, who gives a crap? I'm happy that their fanbase is reeling from this maelstrom, but it's foolish to think we are better off with a weak vcu on our schedule 2x a season. We need fewer fordhams, not more...

Have to say, I am with Web, Ulla, & Eight on this one. We will play Dayton and Davidson for RPI points. I will keep cheering for my two favorite teams. UR and whoever is playing the sheep.

Duke likes winning National Championships and Apple likes making money. I don't see the relevance Of their competitors' strength.

Think Apple doesn't recruit Microsoft employees because they prefer a strong Microsoft?

You actually think the sheep fans don't want UR to lose every game they play?? Believe me they do!! Just the way it is, all in fun!!

Are the Red Sox and Yankees' fans jealous of each other?? Lol. Don't think that's what you would call it. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT