ADVERTISEMENT

36 hours later

UR Fan 2

Team Manager
May 5, 2005
So when I get a little but emotional following a tough loss I wait 1-2 days to post to make sure the emotion is gone and have a little more clarity in what I think I saw. Here are some observations from Friday.

1. Mooney seems to have developed a nervous pursing of his lips during the game. Perhaps a reflection of how important these games are to this team and his career. After 17 years and millions of dollars earned, I think his legacy as a good coach is intact. Perhaps he never reaches the "greatness label" that so many in his position (and quite frankly we as fans) covet.

2. Our defense is not good. We have guys leaving their feet far too often and creating imbalances downstream. Fundamental nastiness, a hallmark of VCU teams has not been a trait of Mooney coached teams.

3. We have 10 talented players. I like the idea of bringing back the posse and running 2 sets of 5. Run as hard as you can for 7 minutes in the middle of each half and press the hell out of them w our depth.

4. Some players seem to be reading their own press and forgetting that offense is only half of the game. Nasty, in your face defense, is what wins championships.

5. I still love watching the team play. Golden has been a great player for us for a long time. Gilyard is special for sure. I love what I am seeing this year out of Crabtree and Wilson.

I hope we can find our footing. I believe the talent is there. We need to adjust.

2. Our defense is not good. We have guys leaving their feet far too often and creating imbalances downstream.
Completely forgot to mention this and could not agree more. We are back to doing a lot of Flying Dutchmen, but even worse, a lot of random jumping in the air to block(?) shots or passes that totally take our guy out of play. It’s so fundamentally unsound, I don’t understand how this isn’t a point of emphasis in coaching.

Reactions: Eight Legger
1. Mooney seems to have developed a nervous pursing of his lips during the game. Perhaps a reflection of how important these games are to this team and his career.
Get him some medical help ..... meaning getting to see Maurice (anyone not named Mooney) running the team. Then tell Chris here's your golden parachute. A win-win. Not realistic but we can always hope the same way we do with UR making it back to the Dance.
4. Some players seem to be reading their own press and forgetting that offense is only half of the game. Nasty, in your face defense, is what wins championships.
I agree. Coach needs to get in more players faces not named Sal K to motivate them. And tell Gilly and GG to stop constantly whining to the refs. So now Mooney has the refs having a hard one for some of his players too. That's your job Chris and as we all know he's not good at getting the next call because he can't get the last call out of his head or more appropriately his mouth. Fan2, talk about developing, it appears Tyler has acquired that condition.

I think both grant and Jacob have a propensity to take issue with calls and no calls. I don’t know that it’s particularly effective.

1. Perhaps he never reaches the "greatness label" that so many in his position (and quite frankly we as fans) covet.

I don't think many coaches reach this level or ever achieve it and therefore, money becomes the measuring stick. So few are considered great. Take JB for example - I don't even think he is considered GREAT, he is very good, had great success - but because he was never able to get the national title in 2 tries, and failed experiment with Cavs - don't think he goes down as great. But what is great that you can't ever take away from him - is his bank account. And this applies to a lot of coaches. Even Phil Martelli. Maybe considered great in Philadelphia - but outside of that, probably not. Very good, had great success at St. Joes and again - his bank account measures at great for sure.

And I wonder for guys like that on the mid-major level, do they just hit that realization - that great is likely not achievable, and therefore become complacement after so many years and unlimited job security?

1) Mooney will never be the greatest coach in UR history, and that's Dick Tarrant.
2) They never seem to have a balance of anything, and I don't see the team developing a great defense (other than Gilyard's steals).
3) The Posse died a glorious death for good reason. Mooney doesn't know how to run it.
4) Mooney will never get in the face of the 6 and 5 year players. He's lucky they stuck around, so he doesn't want to rock the boat.
5) Our team is as good as our coach, and he ain't good. He's holding us back.

1) Mooney will never be the greatest coach in UR history, and that's Dick Tarrant.
2) They never seem to have a balance of anything, and I don't see the team developing a great defense (other than Gilyard's steals).
3) The Posse died a glorious death for good reason. Mooney doesn't know how to run it.
4) Mooney will never get in the face of the 6 and 5 year players. He's lucky they stuck around, so he doesn't want to rock the boat.
5) Our team is as good as our coach, and he ain't good. He's holding us back.
As sad as I hate to say it, all of your points are spot on! It is time for change.

Our defense was great in the back to back NCAA years cause we had 5 guys who knew how to play it. We switched everything and even thought we sometimes had a slow Geriot or undersized KA, everyone else could guard all 5 positions for the limited time they needed to. They also understood how to protect Geriot and KA and switch them out when needed because of mismatches. But this group just is not good as a unit. Gilyard is a good defender - but sometimes his steal attempts put us in a bad position. You take the good with the bad. Grant plays soft defense and is scared to foul. Sherod is a step slow (both from injury and weight), and Cayo and Burton are big, long, and athletic - but they are usually left scrambling. Its a back mix out there right now - whether you play the matchup or man to man.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Amazing that we could be THIS bad on defense though. I don't even know who it indicts more – the coaching staff or the players.

Reactions: plydogg
As sad as I hate to say it, all of your points are spot on! It is time for change.
Welcome, my friend. All of us love UR a ton and want us to succeed but I find it freeing not to have to wrap myself in a conundrum trying to defend what my eyes see on a nightly basis for the better part of the past decade. Utah State out hustling us and out "wanting" that game on Friday was galling. Yeah, our defense is substandard, but it has substandard with this group of players for a while now. I did not expect that to change with another year of the same players. What I hoped might change was the intensity and the need to rise for the moment. It was really really sad to see that not be present on Friday. These are 5th and 6th year players who came back to make a statement. They are making one, just not the one we hoped it would be.

I think the writing is on the wall right? If we don’t make the tournament, he’s gotta be gone at this point. Right? Right? Lol.

In spite of the “it’s just one game mentality” certain folks profess here, every game is precious. We can’t really afford to take more than perhaps four losses OOC and that’s perhaps being generous.

So it matters a ton at this point not to drop these games. And yes it’s too early to contemplate what happens to CM at end of this season but he’s gotta give everyone as little as reason as possible to want him out. It justifiably should put a lot of pressure on him.

I think the writing is on the wall right? If we don’t make the tournament, he’s gotta be gone at this point. Right? Right? Lol.
Wrong. I think as long as we don't fall flat on our faces and finish worse than 5th in the league and miss the NIT - Mooney is safe. He is getting credit for NCAA appearance in the COVID shortened year - where I think we had a good shot at making it, but it was not a lock.

I think as long as he makes the NIT this year and wins a game or two there, he will be fine. Bigger question will be - at that point he will need an extension. How long do you give him - because we all know the next 2-3 years will be heavy rebuilds.

I may be delusional but I don't think the next years are heavy rebuilds. the senior class has a lot of talent and stats, but as we've discussed it's also flawed.

we're unsure offensively with the next group, but there's a lot of athleticism. amittedly there are "ifs" but the core appears strong defensively. very athletic. hopefully Walz is our best defensive big man in a long time.

1 - Wilson / Nelson
2 - Bailey / Dread
3 - Crabtree / Randolph
4 - Burton / Noyes
5 - Grace / Walz

I know Burton's a 3 but I'm playing him at the 4 defensively. betting Grace is back but we might have Sal and Goose back too. still hoping for Buchanan.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Welcome, my friend. All of us love UR a ton and want us to succeed but I find it freeing not to have to wrap myself in a conundrum trying to defend what my eyes see on a nightly basis for the better part of the past decade. Utah State out hustling us and out "wanting" that game on Friday was galling. Yeah, our defense is substandard, but it has substandard with this group of players for a while now. I did not expect that to change with another year of the same players. What I hoped might change was the intensity and the need to rise for the moment. It was really really sad to see that not be present on Friday. These are 5th and 6th year players who came back to make a statement. They are making one, just not the one we hoped it would be.

Not sure your (and others) take on this, but not only did Utah State out-hussle us all game, but it really felt like the refs were in our favor all game long. There were at least a half dozen calls or no-calls in our favor where I would have been irate if it was the other way around. Felt like this one was coming up all Richmond but we said no thanks we don’t really feel like it today

Wrong. I think as long as we don't fall flat on our faces and finish worse than 5th in the league and miss the NIT - Mooney is safe. He is getting credit for NCAA appearance in the COVID shortened year - where I think we had a good shot at making it, but it was not a lock.

I think as long as he makes the NIT this year and wins a game or two there, he will be fine. Bigger question will be - at that point he will need an extension. How long do you give him - because we all know the next 2-3 years will be heavy rebuilds.
Mooney is coach for life until we are shown otherwise. It is beyond sad that he has this mantle given his results, but I'm not beating my head against the wall any longer. He should have been canned about 5-6 years ago, now it is almost comedic in the just wait for next year mantra we get each Spring.

That said, the just wait till next year mantra isn't going to work next year with all we graduate, so Hardt and company better come up with a better excuse to distract/placate the fanbase.

That said, the just wait till next year mantra isn't going to work next year with all we graduate, so Hardt and company better come up with a better excuse to distract/placate the fanbase.

maybe they would hire a scheduling "consultant" to show us how to schedule way way down to have a mediocre at best W/L record against a weak schedule.

In spite of the “it’s just one game mentality” certain folks profess here, every game is precious. We can’t really afford to take more than perhaps four losses OOC and that’s perhaps being generous.

So it matters a ton at this point not to drop these games. And yes it’s too early to contemplate what happens to CM at end of this season but he’s gotta give everyone as little as reason as possible to want him out. It justifiably should put a lot of pressure on him.

Agreed Tbone. We got the same mantra last year. 4 is too many. 3 maybe. There are already chinks in the schedule armor. It's fine compared to others but I also think perceived better than reality, we'll see.

There is a smaller margin for error this is not P6 when you can afford to say oh it's just 1 game. No they mean a lot more especially OOC. It all goes back to urgency, we have none. And that's w 5th & 6th year guys & a 17th year head coach. instead we trade anxiety for urgency.

Mooney is coach for life until we are shown otherwise. It is beyond sad that he has this mantle given his results, but I'm not beating my head against the wall any longer. He should have been canned about 5-6 years ago, now it is almost comedic in the just wait for next year mantra we get each Spring.

I went back and for the past 5 years I’ve been pro-Mooney at the start of every season and Fire Mooney at the end of every season. Offseason seems to make me forget or at least fills me with hope before eventually being let down. I will say it usually takes me more than 2 games to say Fire him but here we are

Reactions: gospidersgo
I went back and for the past 5 years I’ve been pro-Mooney at the start of every season and Fire Mooney at the end of every season. Offseason seems to make me forget or at least fills me with hope before eventually being let down. I will say it usually takes me more than 2 games to say Fire him but here we are
I think there are very few people who aren’t optimistic about the possibilities each year, even though they may have a degree of doom and gloom with our coach in particular.

So you aren’t being irrational. Hope springs eternal.

Yes I start off every season thinking we will be undefeated and crowned National Champions. That may be delusional - alright it is delusional - but that thinking ends usually after 1 or 2 games.........................

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT