ADVERTISEMENT

Robin's Center experience

But yes, I can't believe we never addressed the concession issue. Our concessions are straight out of 1990. I have zero qualms about not dropping a dime on any of our concessions, some of the worst food you can buy these days.
They used to at least have Chick-fil-A or Zaxby's chicken sandwiches until recently, now just a generic breaded chicken sandwich that's pretty sad.

With very minimal effort we could probably partner with some food trucks that would be very interested in 5,000 potential customers.

Edit - maybe we (the university) just don't care as long as people are still showing up? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
They used to at least have Chick-fil-A or Zaxby's chicken sandwiches until recently, now just a generic breaded chicken sandwich that's pretty sad.

With very minimal effort we could probably partner with some food trucks that would be very interested in 5,000 potential customers.

Edit - maybe we (the university) just don't care as long as people are still showing up? 🤷🏼‍♂️
Well, that is what we continually hear is the metric. Butts in seats is all that matters, giving them a great product both on the court and in the amenities, seems optional. It's probably about time for one of their surveys which never seems to result in any actionable change.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
A ped bridge or tunnel is easily $1 million, maybe $2 million to build to UR's quality standards. No way they spend that kind of money for something really needed just a dozen or so times a year for an hour or whatever.
Off campus students park in 66. We have football, basketball., LAX that use 66 and traffic from surrounding neighborhoods causing safety issues. Most of the neighborhood traffic exceeds the speed limit and pays little if any attention to crosswalks.

miss the Bdubs behind section 3. ;) bring it back.

I am trying to figure out how it is possible to mess up popcorn. The price increases, the portion decreases, and the taste gets worse! I actually saw someone with one of the old red and white boxes the other day. I wanted to ask where they found it.

I am trying to figure out how it is possible to mess up popcorn. The price increases, the portion decreases, and the taste gets worse! I actually saw someone with one of the old red and white boxes the other day. I wanted to ask where they found it.
Well, when you pop it probably the day before, that is a good start on how to ruin it.

A ped bridge or tunnel is easily $1 million, maybe $2 million to build to UR's quality standards. No way they spend that kind of money for something really needed just a dozen or so times a year for an hour or whatever.
$2,000,000 to dig a 12ft wide hole across a 18ft wide road, drop in a piece of conduit, and pave over it? I'm no engineer but I think Bubba, a backhoe, and a dump truck of asphalt could probably do it for a hundred grand.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
Most arenas have a person that manages the operation of the arena and it’s concessions.
Do we?
I have been sending emails to Darius Smith for the number of things I have mentioned here. He is listed as Assistant Athletic Director for Gameday Experience and Marketing Services -
dsmith27@richmond.edu.

Copied Hardt as well. Mr. Smith has replied back. I have not commented on the food quality specifically.

I also sent an email to Bob Black about the radio broadcast and he responded quickly.

$2,000,000 to dig a 12ft wide hole across a 18ft wide road, drop in a piece of conduit, and pave over it? I'm no engineer but I think Bubba, a backhoe, and a dump truck of asphalt could probably do it for a hundred grand.
If only it were that easy. Add in stairs and ADA-compliant ramps, moving any water/utility lines that might be alongside or under the road, permitting, etc.

You’d also have to engineer it with proper support and reinforcement for the road, which would not be cheap. Then again, we are talking about the University of Richmond here, so it’s clearly something we could afford if we wanted.

There are also seven marked crosswalks in that short section crossing College Road from the Robins Center and Robins Stadium over to the parking lots/row. Do you try to funnel everyone to a single tunnel? It's just a two-lane road...people are going to cross at the most logical spot for them anyway unless you make it physically impossible.

Reactions: urfan1
We aren't getting a tunnel or bridge, but I would be happy with our million dollar scoreboard actually working, a better mic for the timeout lady and someone making sure there is enough air in the ball shooter before the game.. I know that is a low bar, but until we start meeting these low bars, I'm not going to strive for something that would actually take extensive planning.

Let's fix the easy to fix stuff first and then once we see we can change the light bulbs in the building effectively maybe we can look at something like would actually be an enhancement, like fresh popped popcorn, a freshly made cheeseburger or more than 3 urinals in men's room for a 7000 plus person facility.

Let's fix the easy to fix stuff first and then once we see we can change the light bulbs in the building effectively maybe we can look at something like would actually be an enhancement, like fresh popped popcorn, a freshly made cheeseburger or more than 3 urinals in men's room for a 7000 plus person facility.
Hey, concessions and restrooms are key parts of phase 2 of the renovations. We just need someone to write the check.

Hard to complain too much since it got bumped back by the hoops practice facility, but if Queally's checkbook is now closed, that could be a problem.

If only it were that easy. Add in stairs and ADA-compliant ramps, moving any water/utility lines that might be alongside or under the road, permitting, etc.
Don't forget the gargoyles and flying buttresses and other stuff needed to make it compatible with the Gothic architecture elsewhere on campus. 😃

You can't even gut and renovate a kitchen and a bathroom for less than $100 grand anymore, much less build a tunnel under a road.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Hey, concessions and restrooms are key parts of phase 2 of the renovations. We just need someone to write the check.
So, they are going to fix the restrooms that they screwed up in Phase 1, in Phase 2. Hmm, seems like a waste of money. Hopefully, they get a different architectural firm that can count urinals needed better (P.S. the answer is more than 3).

So, they are going to fix the restrooms that they screwed up in Phase 1, in Phase 2. Hmm, seems like a waste of money. Hopefully, they get a different architectural firm that can count urinals needed better (P.S. the answer is more than 3).
Maybe they should back off on the diversity thing, and get a male architect that drinks beer and goes to basketball
arenas.

Maybe they should back off on the diversity thing, and get a male architect that drinks beer and goes to basketball
arenas.
The answer is a covered parking deck where X lot is. Make it join the RC and have additional food services in the crossover.

We aren't getting a tunnel or bridge, but I would be happy with our million dollar scoreboard actually working, a better mic for the timeout lady and someone making sure there is enough air in the ball shooter before the game.. I know that is a low bar, but until we start meeting these low bars, I'm not going to strive for something that would actually take extensive planning.

Setting a low bar - the key for all UR athletic ventures.

I’d be happier with the million dollar coach performing better than the million dollar scoreboard.

I would really expect a bunch of Jersey folks to do better with bridges and tunnels.
But at least you have real ice cream not Dippin Dots

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Loyola announcers had to go back and forth for several minutes about whether UR was up 5 or 3 and then what score was after Loyola scored. Onscreen graphic remained correct the whole time, so they used that.

I liked the Loyola tv team from what I heard, solid pbp guy and a color commentary guy who used levity well -especially about the tacos - and seemed to have a common sense approach to watching/commenting on the game.

Loyola announcers had to go back and forth for several minutes about whether UR was up 5 or 3 and then what score was after Loyola scored. Onscreen graphic remained correct the whole time, so they used that.

I liked the Loyola tv team from what I heard, solid pbp guy and a color commentary guy who used levity well -especially about the tacos - and seemed to have a common sense approach to watching/commenting on the game.
But you didn’t mention if they had nice things to say about CM. Isn’t that what really matters?

Would be nice if scorecard showed the correct of team fouls - confused the refs since Loyola showed 5 up until half time
The radio broadcast said something about the scoreboard not being reset between the two women's games, and that their team fouls are different.

What it did not say was whether that was intentional or accidental, but it's still pretty sloppy either way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT