ADVERTISEMENT

Football to Patriot League. Should basketball and rest of sports be concerned?

Don't care about football, only bball. Keep bball at the highest level possible, upgrade if needed. If it's at the expense of football I do not care at all.

As is the case with pretty much everything college-sports-related, football ruins it. The SEC would dig up your grandmother's grave and spike a football on her corpse if it thought it could get five more dollars and 2 more fans. Quite literally every single complaint lodged on this message board the last 5 years about the state of college basketball can be traced back to football.

Never sacrifice anything basketball related for football. Not one single thing.

Don't care about football, only bball. Keep bball at the highest level possible, upgrade if needed. If it's at the expense of football I do not care at all.

As is the case with pretty much everything college-sports-related, football ruins it. The SEC would dig up your grandmother's grave and spike a football on her corpse if it thought it could get five more dollars and 2 more fans. Quite literally every single complaint lodged on this message board the last 5 years about the state of college basketball can be traced back to football.

Never sacrifice anything basketball related for football. Not one single thing.
Just the opposite of what the CAA did. They added all those garbage teams and hurt football tremendously. I'm so glad we got out of there.

Reactions: Wood Hall
Didn't realize Stony Brook (0-10 last year), NC A&T, (1-10), Maine (2-9), Hampton and Campbell were loaded with all these quality athletes that the Patriot League lacks. We played all 5 of those garbage teams last year. Wow, what are we gonna do now without these great teams and great, NFL athletes we faced in the CAA every week? Shoot, my interest was sky high for those must see, exciting D1 type games we had against those great teams from the mighty CAA last year.
Spiders attracted NFL athletes.

One scored the winning TD in the NFC championship game to put his team in the Superbowl.
Two of our RBs scored TDs on the same day in the NFL for different teams.
Clawson and the other coaches put five graduates in the NFL that at some point I think might have been on the same Spider team.
One QB spent two years with the Jets as an HB
One DL spent about five years with the Giants after being undrafted and an invite to camp.
One DB spent two or three years with the Giants
One QB Clawson recruited transferred to Troy because we had a QB in front of him that eventually put a National Championship Trophy in the Robins Center Trophy Case. The guy that transferred out ended up POY in Sun Belt Conference and spent two years on the BIlls roster.
One DL Spent 4 years with the Falcons
Our latest NFL grad just led all rookies in QB sacks in the NFL.
I know I missed some, but hope you get the point that it does not matter what NFL talent others in the CAA have, it is the NFL talent we attracted to the Spider FB team.

My fear and I think some others here agree, we will not get that type of talent in a one bid conference.
The CAA is a hot mess, but Spiders have a good shot at going 8-3 or better in that conference which traditionally gets three bids or more.
That said let's not forget the Spiders won their NC as an at large team, that beat the 2 3 and 4 seeds.

Does not matter now, it is done. Richmond just got a step closer to being the Lacrosse school PQ wants.

This is crazy talk. It's funny you have to go back to the Clawson years to try to make your point. He hasn’t coached here since 2007. We have made the playoffs twice in the past 7 years. My guess is we will likely make them more now than we did in the CAA. The CAA is garbage now. If you think better recruits would come here just because we are in the CAA, you are mistaken big time. And, do you really think the CAA was the reason we got past talent? Seriously? Our school, coaches, and program had nothing to do with it? You think the CAA was the selling point for kids to go to a 1-AA school? Wow..just wow. I'm amazed at how many people think the CAA is this juggernaut conference that would attract all this talent right now.

First of all, it's been a while but I am hoping to be back to contributing more daily on the board! I have periodically checked in on the board and thought now would be a good time to get back into it after my hiatus, given all the topics going on in the off season.

While I don't know what the department's true intentions were with the move, I choose to be a little more optimistic about this one. We did not decide to leave the CAA "out of the blue". We were in the conference for the past 10-15 years when it was the best in FCS and did not leave. Instead, it appears to be prompted by teams like JMU and Delaware leaving the CAA and us adding Campbell, Monmouth, NC A&T, Hampton, and now Bryant. The CAA is certainly not what it once was and may be heading to an implosion soon and UR may have been more proactive in this matter. Sure, being with like minded academic institutions is a plus for UR, but I don't think was the only reason. Other factors include cost saving measures, geographic region, and seeing improvement in the Patriot League as the CAA continues to decline. While on paper SoCon appears to be a better conference right now for football, there may have been concerns of its own instability as a conference and if between two relatively similar conferences in competitiveness, to go to the one that is more similar academically. Additionally, the Patriot League has gotten a lot better over the years and it looks more promising as they continue to remove self-imposed restrictions (number of scholarships, redshirts, etc). The key will be if other strong football schools join the Patriot League as well. If Villanova and William & Mary join, there will be several teams in top 25 each year and potential to be a multi-bid league. Even within FCS, there is a clear divide between MVFC & Big Sky with everyone else. So in terms of competitiveness - assuming W&M, Nova, Elon leave and where they end up - there really isn't going to be a huge difference between the CAA, SoCon, & Patriot League in a few years.

On a larger point, the landscape of college football is increasing more and more to the "haves and have nots". I think UR recognizes that we are not a school, for many reasons, that will ever be able to compete at the top of football. We see many schools impacting their entire athletic departments at the expense for football (UMass going to MAC for all sports for football, Stanford & Cal flying across country to be in the ACC). It may pan out for some programs, but for the majority it won't. There is a ceiling in terms of what football can provide for our school from a monetary and exposure standpoint. Even when we were ranked top 10 in FCS and making deep playoff runs the last 10 years, our attendance wasn't very good from the students or general public. So I think when the opportunity came to consider leaving conferences due to a diluted CAA, UR probably thought that we can still maintain a similar level of competitiveness and interest in the Patriot League for football, while not changing the entire identity of our athletic department to be something its not (football driven). I'm sure along with other added benefits, UR appreciates such as saving money and being with other like-minded academic institutions.

So to answer the question of this thread "should basketball and other sports be concerned?" by this move, my answer is no. In fact, my hope is that this will further reinforce our commitment to basketball and other sports in the conference where we compete among the best in the nation. With MLax & Women's golf being sponsored by A10, all our sports except for football are in the A10. The A10 is a wonderful conference and we have done quite well in it with our sports.

P.S. Wouldn't be a classic 17 post without it being a monologue!
17 I think your monologue makes total sense. In fact you have encouraged me to think totally differently about our move.
It shows a well thought out reasoning that I’m sure many haven’t
thought of because of our initial disappointment.

This is crazy talk. It's funny you have to go back to the Clawson years to try to make your point. He hasn’t coached here since 2007. We have made the playoffs twice in the past 7 years. My guess is we will likely make them more now than we did in the CAA. The CAA is garbage now. If you think better recruits would come here just because we are in the CAA, you are mistaken big time. And, do you really think the CAA was the reason we got past talent? Seriously? Our school, coaches, and program had nothing to do with it? You think the CAA was the selling point for kids to go to a 1-AA school? Wow..just wow. I'm amazed at how many people think the CAA is this juggernaut conference that would attract all this talent right now.
Have you watched the press conference? Of course, the CAA was a selling tool and put words in your own mouth not mine. I never said the school and the coaches do not matter. At about the 9:15 point Huesman talks about recruiting. He mentions the coaches had meetings that afternoon and they would meet next week and see what affect it has on the meetings they have this week. He says of course they sell the school and the program and said they will sell the Patriot League also. I would guess if he were going to sell a one bid league, he would surely sell the two to six bid league he was competing in before. I also know the school and coaches matter in recruiting, but thinking these players are not considering were they have a shot to play post season is also part of it. If you have watched the press conference you might want to watch it again and listen to what the man said.

Of course I went back to the Clawson years, he started the train rolling getting players hear with NFL talent and even developed some Jim Reid had found. Rocco got a few and Huesman is getting them also. As I sidebar, I forgot Lauletta in my list before that also sent time with the Giants. You seem to like to cherry pick certain time frames to make your arguments, Spider FB at the FCS level has been and again is respected, yes it dipped a short time, but back-to-back playoff appearances and a pre-season rank of 13 this year, shows they might have turned the corner. I hope this is not a setback.

I mentioned the CAA was a hot mess, everyone that follows FCS FB knows it, I just happen to be in the camp that we might should have waited to see if the new schools could improve before we jumped, but they obviously did not ask me and again, it does not matter now anyway it is done.

I hope you are right and sincerely hope I am wrong. I suspect when the transfer portal opens after this season, we will begin to get a hint and I am praying we do not get any decommits from the few that were already planning to come in 2025.

Twist it anyway you want and get the last word. I have an opinion and so do you, but I am done with the subject.

Reactions: Spider B
Yes, I saw the press conference, and that backed up my opinion way better than yours. I spoke of the most recent 7 seasons, 5 of which we did not make the playoffs. The back to back playoff spots were great and, like Huesman said, if we are good enough in 2025, we will make the playoffs then too. Nothing changes. Either you are good enough or you aren't. You went back to 2007 and before with Clausen and you say I am the one cherry picking? LOL....good one.

You said we should wait till the new schools improve? How long should we wait for Campbell, A&T, Hampton, Stony Brook, and the many other garbage CAA teams that no one cares about to improve?

As for transfers, we lost plenty of transfers and recruits while in the CAA, so I see no reason why we wouldn't lose some in the Patriot. That is college sports right now, so you better prepare for that regardless of what conference you are in.

I don't think I am twisting anything here. I have an opinion and you have an opinion, and we both at least agree the CAA sucks right now. You say it sucks, but we should have waited, while I say it sucks and am glad we got out.

One scored the winning TD in the NFC championship game to put his team in the Superbowl.
Clawson and the other coaches put five graduates in the NFL that at some point I think might have been on the same Spider team.
One DL spent about five years with the Giants after being undrafted and an invite to camp.
One QB Clawson recruited transferred to Troy because we had a QB in front of him that eventually put a National Championship Trophy in the Robins Center Trophy Case. The guy that transferred out ended up POY in Sun Belt Conference and spent two years on the BIlls roster.
I know I missed some, but hope you get the point that it does not matter what NFL talent others in the CAA have, it is the NFL talent we attracted to the Spider FB team.

My fear and I think some others here agree, we will not get that type of talent in a one bid conference.
The CAA is a hot mess, but Spiders have a good shot at going 8-3 or better in that conference which traditionally gets three bids or more.
That said let's not forget the Spiders won their NC as an at large team, that beat the 2 3 and 4 seeds.

Does not matter now, it is done. Richmond just got a step closer to being the Lacrosse school PQ wants.
Does not matter now, it is done. Richmond just got a step closer to being the Lacrosse school PQ wants. Nice recycled stupid takes.

That NFC Championship game was 15 years ago. The college football landscape has changed a lot since then. With Delaware gone, and all of the flotsam and jetsam that the CAA has picked up, there’s no guarantee that the CAA would be a multi bid league for long.

Now, the SoCon would have taken us, but who’s to say that that conference would be stable 5 years down the road? Things are changing, and the administration thought this was the best thing for football.

Let’s see
PA State, Michigan, Maryland, Rutgers, Ohio State, Johns Hopkins all play lacrosse in the Big 10

Notre Dame, Syracuse, Duke, Virginia, North Carolina all play lacrosse
in the ACC.

Why would some of you try to belittle our lacrosse program ? Year after year we have been in the top 25.

I think some of you should learn the game and how we’re viewed nationally.

I think our men's lacrosse program has been wildly successful, and Chemotti has been a tremendous leader.

I think it sucks every kind of ball that we cut men's soccer to have a program.

I think any move, for any sport, to a conference with historically lesser ability to get an at-large bid to the playoffs/championships in order to be with institutions with similar academic profiles is misguided and myopic and detrimental to our athletics, which will have a residual detrimental effect on our school and the prestige of our school.

All of those things can be true at the same time, and it isn't binary.

Let's concentrate on getting past the first round first.
Of course, but given the fact that we've been in the top 25 most every season, mostly competitive with top-10 teams and that there are fewer D1 lacrosse teams than probably any other sports we play, the fact remains.

Last edited:
I'm not belittling lacrosse. I don't especially care for it and don't watch it, but it's a fine sport. It seems to be a excellent addition to our athletic department, even if it came at the expense of men's soccer (which I played at UR at the club level and my younger brother played at the varsity level), which we never should have dropped.

My point was, we have yet to win a first-round NCAA game. While it's certainly an admirable goal to shoot for, I think it's a bit of a stretch at this point to be talking national championship.

My thoughts on Lacrosse.

I think our odds are better at winning a D1 National Championship in Lacrosse than FBS Football…

But I don’t think Pro lacrosse generates more revenue than the NFL…

My thoughts on Lacrosse.

I think our odds are better at winning a D1 National Championship in Lacrosse than FBS Football…

I agree, but also believe as more P5 schools pick up LAX that window closes even more.

I’m sorry we had to cut soccer, but realistically we never got very far.
I suspect that the fact that most private schools play lacrosse, which
draws more academically prepared students to Richmond, was one main
it was chosen to replace soccer.
There is no comparison where we are with lacrosse and where we were with soccer.

I’m sorry we had to cut soccer, but realistically we never got very far.
I suspect that the fact that most private schools play lacrosse, which
draws more academically prepared students to Richmond, was one main
it was chosen to replace soccer.
There is no comparison where we are with lacrosse and where we were with soccer.
True but we didn't put anywhere near the resources into soccer that we do for lacrosse.

Reactions: Mo 2.0 and urfan1
First of all, it's been a while but I am hoping to be back to contributing more daily on the board! I have periodically checked in on the board and thought now would be a good time to get back into it after my hiatus, given all the topics going on in the off season.

While I don't know what the department's true intentions were with the move, I choose to be a little more optimistic about this one. We did not decide to leave the CAA "out of the blue". We were in the conference for the past 10-15 years when it was the best in FCS and did not leave. Instead, it appears to be prompted by teams like JMU and Delaware leaving the CAA and us adding Campbell, Monmouth, NC A&T, Hampton, and now Bryant. The CAA is certainly not what it once was and may be heading to an implosion soon and UR may have been more proactive in this matter. Sure, being with like minded academic institutions is a plus for UR, but I don't think was the only reason. Other factors include cost saving measures, geographic region, and seeing improvement in the Patriot League as the CAA continues to decline. While on paper SoCon appears to be a better conference right now for football, there may have been concerns of its own instability as a conference and if between two relatively similar conferences in competitiveness, to go to the one that is more similar academically. Additionally, the Patriot League has gotten a lot better over the years and it looks more promising as they continue to remove self-imposed restrictions (number of scholarships, redshirts, etc). The key will be if other strong football schools join the Patriot League as well. If Villanova and William & Mary join, there will be several teams in top 25 each year and potential to be a multi-bid league. Even within FCS, there is a clear divide between MVFC & Big Sky with everyone else. So in terms of competitiveness - assuming W&M, Nova, Elon leave and where they end up - there really isn't going to be a huge difference between the CAA, SoCon, & Patriot League in a few years.

On a larger point, the landscape of college football is increasing more and more to the "haves and have nots". I think UR recognizes that we are not a school, for many reasons, that will ever be able to compete at the top of football. We see many schools impacting their entire athletic departments at the expense for football (UMass going to MAC for all sports for football, Stanford & Cal flying across country to be in the ACC). It may pan out for some programs, but for the majority it won't. There is a ceiling in terms of what football can provide for our school from a monetary and exposure standpoint. Even when we were ranked top 10 in FCS and making deep playoff runs the last 10 years, our attendance wasn't very good from the students or general public. So I think when the opportunity came to consider leaving conferences due to a diluted CAA, UR probably thought that we can still maintain a similar level of competitiveness and interest in the Patriot League for football, while not changing the entire identity of our athletic department to be something its not (football driven). I'm sure along with other added benefits, UR appreciates such as saving money and being with other like-minded academic institutions.

So to answer the question of this thread "should basketball and other sports be concerned?" by this move, my answer is no. In fact, my hope is that this will further reinforce our commitment to basketball and other sports in the conference where we compete among the best in the nation. With MLax & Women's golf being sponsored by A10, all our sports except for football are in the A10. The A10 is a wonderful conference and we have done quite well in it with our sports.

P.S. Wouldn't be a classic 17 post without it being a monologue!
Completely agree with your post. Are people really that upset about not playing NC A&T? Campbell? Monmouth? New Hampshire? You think the Patriot League schools can’t compete with them with the budgets they possess? It hasn’t been all that long they’ve given out scholarships and they’ve consistently been improving. Nova and W&M will not be in the league ten years from now. Probably not even five.

Reactions: spiderstudent17
My thoughts on Lacrosse.

Now there is certainly a better chance at winning a national championship in lacrosse than fcs football and its a top level real championship.

My thoughts on Lacrosse.

In FBS football there are 128 teams, with 24 playoff spots, so you have an 18% chance of making the playoffs

In Lacrosse there are 77 D1 teams, with 17 playoff spots, so you have a 22% chance of making the playoffs.

Additionally, lacrosse is very much a regional sport with a lot of small private colleges playing it, so are chance of "competing" are significantly higher because we have more resources to pour into our program than a lot of these schools do.

There are only 2 BCS leagues that play D-1 lacrosse, the Big 10 and the ACC and both only have 5 of there member schools sponsoring lacrosse. So, we really only have to compete with 10 BCS level lacrosse programs.

Lacrosse is a rapidly growing sport though, so I suspect our odds of regularly making the tournament are going to do down as more and more of the big boys add lacrosse.

We have a great lacrosse program, but there are many reasons why it is WAY EASIER to make it the lacrosse NCAA tournament than it is football, soccer and certainly basketball.

In FBS football there are 128 teams, with 24 playoff spots, so you have an 18% chance of making the playoffs

In Lacrosse there are 77 D1 teams, with 17 playoff spots, so you have a 22% chance of making the playoffs.

Additionally, lacrosse is very much a regional sport with a lot of small private colleges playing it, so are chance of "competing" are significantly higher because we have more resources to pour into our program than a lot of these schools do.

There are only 2 BCS leagues that play D-1 lacrosse, the Big 10 and the ACC and both only have 5 of there member schools sponsoring lacrosse. So, we really only have to compete with 10 BCS level lacrosse programs.

Lacrosse is a rapidly growing sport though, so I suspect our odds of regularly making the tournament are going to do down as more and more of the big boys add lacrosse.

We have a great lacrosse program, but there are many reasons why it is WAY EASIER to make it the lacrosse NCAA tournament than it is football, soccer and certainly basketball.
There are 24 teams in the FBS Playoffs?

That is a lot of Bowls participating…

Don’t look now, but one of the final four schools is Denver. What region are they in?

Those days are over for FCS teams. If and when we wind up with a talented player who could make it to the NFL, they will transfer to a FBS school by the time they get to their junior year.

Reactions: wr70beh
New Hampshire has had a really solid program as well. And to your point, what teams are "special in the Patriot League that we should be excited about?
My point in mentioning New Hampshire here was more of geography. There are people here who lament the old days of when we used to play southern schools and believe that’s where more Richmond students should originate from. At the same time they miss not playing a school like New Hampshire in the north. I confused the argument by combining crap schools with distant competitors.

I think the economics of this move cannot be overlooked. Schools are constantly trying to get more attention in markets that will deliver students who can pay a large percentage of the cost of attending their schools in order to insure that they can also allow students to attend who cannot afford the full cost. About a decade ago, maybe a little more, Pitt put a full court press on the Philadelphia area because they saw the wealth in their area shrinking and they wanted to build relationships with schools in wealthier areas. They gave out tons of scholarships in order to start attracting them. It worked as new pipelines were created and their ranking has surpassed that of Penn State. South Carolina has done something similar whereby they have been giving a lot of scholarships to northern students with the caveat they maintain a B average freshman year. Lots of kids go down, party, and lose the scholarship which causes them to either leave school or pay the higher rate. Alabama and LSU have now been targeting the northeast.

My point in saying this is that playing in the A-10 allows us to be in markets with money, whether it’s NYC, Philly, Boston, NOVA, or Charlotte. The Southern Conference offers no major market. The CAA, especially where it’s headed, does not expose us to many markets for rich kids. Villanova is really the only school in a major market. Joining the Patriot League once again gives them access to the same wealthy markets that the Atlantic 10 plays in. This is why I’m not worried about them jumping ship on the A-10. I think football was just an outlier for their overall positioning of our school. This move brings football back in line with our other sports. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, I just think this is how our president sees it.

Last edited:
Reactions: spiderman
I think the economics of this move cannot be overlooked. Schools are constantly trying to get more attention in markets that will deliver students who can pay a large percentage of the cost of attending their schools in order to insure that they can also allow students to attend who cannot afford the full cost. About a decade ago, maybe a little more, Pitt put a full court press on the Philadelphia area because they saw the wealth in their area shrinking and they wanted to build relationships with schools in wealthier areas. They gave out tons of scholarships in order to start attracting them. It worked as new pipelines were created and their ranking has surpassed that of Penn State. South Carolina has done something similar whereby they have been giving a lot of scholarships to northern students with the caveat they maintain a B average freshman year. Lots of kids go down, party, and lose the scholarship which causes them to either leave school or pay the higher rate. Alabama and LSU have now been targeting the northeast.

My point in saying this is that playing in the A-10 allows us to be in markets with money, whether it’s NYC, Philly, Boston, NOVA, or Charlotte. The Southern Conference offers no major market. The CAA, especially where it’s headed, does not expose us to many markets for rich kids. Villanova is really the only school in a major market. Joining the Patriot League once again gives them access to the same wealthy markets that the Atlantic 10 plays in. This is why I’m not worried about them jumping ship on the A-10. I think football was just an outlier for their overall positioning of our school. This move brings the school back in line with our other sports. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, I just think this is how our president sees it.
I mentioned this over in the football thread, but the A10 also a lot of schools that UR wants to associate with from a school profile wise. The A10 is essentially made up of private, basketball-centric schools that play at a high level and garner a national interest. That is the ideal fit for us. Additionally, several of those private, basketball centric schools are small in size: Richmond, Bonnies, Davidson, La Salle, St. Joes, & Duquesne. Even Dayton & Saint Louis are considered small in today's world as they both have <10K total undergrad enrollment. There are also several stronger academic schools in the conference with us, Davidson, Fordham, and GW. Even most of the large, public schools we play, like GMU & VCU, we want to associate with because of the regional rivalry. The A10 is perfect for us because it is made-up of private, basketball-centric schools, many of which are strong academically, in good geographic area. The way I see it, the only conference in the country that is a better fit for Richmond than the A10 is the Big East. That’s the dream that we should strive for.

Though I think the Big East is still a pipe dream, the NIL world does offer us a sliver of an opportunity to show that we belong there. String together a few more seasons like last one (that also include NCAA bids and hopefully a few wins there) and we become a lot more marketable in those circles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT