ADVERTISEMENT

Roster 2023(as of 7/21/23) including Transfers added

Sincerely hope he wants to play only a stone's throw away from family and home. Would be a great addition.

Reactions: urfan1
Hope that our admin isn’t creating chaos. This seems like an easy solution

I wonder if there is a potential tampering issue. I understand he is not on active roster, but I was told he was still enrolled at VT. My source said not positive but understood that to be case.

I believe that Stone has to enter the transfer portal for other schools(particularly the buttoned up UR) to technically recruit him.Don’t believe that he has entered the transfer portal as of this date.
That was my thinking, I believe that ship may have sailed, unfortunately!

Reactions: 32counter
Could be wrong but sounds like the kid either doesn’t want to play (maybe a lingering injury or just burnout) or got some bad advice on how to handle the situation. Hopefully was just a decision that he’s played long enough and it was time to pursue other interests.

He was walking on, but reportedly their NIL program was covering his tuition. (Scholarship limits, what are those?) I assume that goes away if he doesn't play, but maybe not.

Did not know if had been posted, but looked like Dykes made it close too the last cut down, but as of now has not been added to practice squad. Vikings got a RB that some team waivered and signed to a one-year contract and had kept one RB on practice squad already so maybe someone else will pick him up at some point.

Hope so.

So pumped to see this. When I was streaming the game vs. NC Wesleyan the QB immediately stood out to me and couldn't believe it. May have to make my way down to 40 west for a game this season.

Fun fact, former Spider great Bruce Gosset got his start a Ferrum. James McGinnis to. NFL Pro bowler Chris Warren and MLB All-Start Billy Wagner were on campus at the same time. Pretty amazing for a D3 school at the time.

So pumped to see this. When I was streaming the game vs. NC Wesleyan the QB immediately stood out to me and couldn't believe it. May have to make my way down to 40 west for a game this season.

Fun fact, former Spider great Bruce Gosset got his start a Ferrum. James McGinnis to. NFL Pro bowler Chris Warren and MLB All-Start Billy Wagner were on campus at the same time. Pretty amazing for a D3 school at the time.
Agree about Hughes...what a great story and determined athlete...he is from the Outer Banks...I believe Kill Devil Hills...read a story in the local paper there about his UR experience...he's an accomplished surfer too

regarding Ferrum...I have some great memories from working at football and basketball camps there in the mid 60's...the camps were run by a Ferrum alum who lived in my home town...back then you could get well known professional athletes to come to summer camps for kids...Jerry West, Bob Cousey are two basketball HOF's I remember...on the football side Redskins legend Bobby Mitchell, Colts WR Raymond Berry and Tech/Packers WR Carroll Dale were also there as well as numerous state and regional college coaches...

Ferrum was a JC at the time and Spiders football had a good pipeline of players coming to Richmond in the mid to late 60s and early 70's. Gossett was one of those guys.

good times and memories!

Agree about Hughes...what a great story and determined athlete...he is from the Outer Banks...I believe Kill Devil Hills...read a story in the local paper there about his UR experience...he's an accomplished surfer too

regarding Ferrum...I have some great memories from working at football and basketball camps there in the mid 60's...the camps were run by a Ferrum alum who lived in my home town...back then you could get well known professional athletes to come to summer camps for kids...Jerry West, Bob Cousey are two basketball HOF's I remember...on the football side Redskins legend Bobby Mitchell, Colts WR Raymond Berry and Tech/Packers WR Carroll Dale were also there as well as numerous state and regional college coaches...

Ferrum was a JC at the time and Spiders football had a good pipeline of players coming to Richmond in the mid to late 60s and early 70's. Gossett was one of those
Some schools on OB are K-12 at least 25-30 years ago. School teams have a heck of a drive for games.

Some schools on OB are K-12 at least 25-30 years ago. School teams have a heck of a drive for games.
Used to be Manteo HS was the only Dare County High School except for Cape Hatteras HS down on the island part of Dare County…

First Flight High School was built 10-15 years ago in Kill Devil Hills…believe it serves all the kids from Duck to Nags Head..,this is where Hughes played football…

Manteo HS now serves Roanoke Island and the portion of Dare County on the main land…

I believe they play in a district with similar sized high schools on the mainland and those trips are still lengthy and pretty desolate…not much but swamp and some farmland between Greenville/Columbia/Elizabeth City and the coast.

Ferrum was a JC at the time and Spiders football had a good pipeline of players coming to Richmond in the mid to late 60s and early 70's. Gossett was one of those guys.

good times and memories!
Was the equivalent to what Hargrave and FUMA were before JUCOs went by the wayside. 4 JUCO National Championships, multiple NFL players, heavy ties to a ton of college football programs, including Marshall, where Rick Tolley, the HC was just hired from Ferrum. 7 of our players transferred there and perished in that crash.

Ray Tate used to always tell me about recruiting trips to Ferrum and was always amazed at the talent a school out in the middle of no where could accumulate and dominate the way they did. Jeff Hansen did a year there a number of years ago with Phil Emiasian as the DC. Hank Norton sure knew how to coach them up.

Don't think well have what it takes to win the ODAC, hope to remain competitive, but my contacts there say its going to be the best team in a while there and love him on campus as their QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT