ADVERTISEMENT

Off Season Player Analysis 2 - Dji Bailey

spider23

Spider's Club
May 31, 2002
Dedmon Center USA
ruhoops.proboards.com
OK, figured may as well rip the band aid off on this one, as I know there will probably be a lot of opinions and varying opinions at that :)

Pros
Defense - While I do notice some lapses and a few flaws, on our team I think he is a very good defender. Can guard multiple positions, good length to go along with his quickness at the guard position. Rebounds from the guard spot, which is an important part of defense. Willing to help and then finish plays battling for rebounds.
Versatility - Can play PG To SF effectively, and guard all three spots.

Areas of Improvement
Staying Healthy - Not much you can do about this one. I think it was mentioned that our guards are hitting the weight room hard. That could help. Staying up right as well. Like 97's guy Embiid, if you stay up and don't end up on the floor so much that tends to keep you in one piece more often. Dji does tend to end up getting knocked over driving to the hoop and fighting for loose balls. Which I do want him to continue to do (driving and battling that is). Every time he seems to be establishing himself in the lineup, there is an injury that knocks him out for extended time it seems. That makes it hard to have consistency as well as establish himself with the coaches. I think more than anything with Dji, remaining healthy will improve his opportunity and effectiveness. You can say that for any player, but Dji has been hit hardest last couple season.
Turnovers - I think Dji is a good decision maker and takes care of the ball 95% of the time on the floor. It's the other 5% that seem to come at inopportune or glaring times. Again, staying healthy and on the floor more may help this. Also, I think dribbling against smaller traditional 1's is tougher for a 6'5/6'6 guard. I would like to see Dji use more of a "Magic Johnson" type approach when he is in this situation - i.e. use his body and length to keep the smaller guard away, as opposed to try to dribble by him. I have seen him do this, and it is effective. When he has a big guard on him, he has more ability to beat off the dribble straight up.
Offensive Aggression: Way too many times, he was more interested in looking to "run the play" than use the play to look at the basket. This could be somewhat system driven, but in any case want to see him look to score or drive and make plays. We saw good things happen when he drove the ball in - particularly finding Quinn for point blank finishes. Would love to see him catch it an go a little more on the wing. And as I noted, I think with his size and ability to get in the lane - mid range jumper could be very effective. I know it is not love by the metrics of the game, but I saw a ton of guys in the NCAA's make a living off mid range.

Next Season
Dji really has a great opportunity to insert himself in the lineup. Have not mentioned 3 point shooting. This could be critical next season. If Bigs doesn't find his stroke from 3, I think it is harder to keep Dji in the game together with Bigs. UNLESS Dji can replicate that 40% from three on a few more attempts per game. If he can do that, then I think he is a heavy minutes guy. When we say position less basketball, Dji is that guy IMO. I don't see him as a pure point, shooting guard or a three. More of a hybrid that can do a lot of things on the court and contribute to winning, but not be that guy on offense that you run plays for - or give the ball to and say get us a basket. I think Dji can control his own destiny, but if he struggles with turnovers and consistency - could be a guy impacted if we bring in another proven guard.

First of all, I want to say this was really well written. I might not agree with everything, but there is plenty I do agree with, and the whole write up had a very nice flow to it. Very well done, 23.

I need to go for now, but will respond with a little more later on. And, it really won't be that negative at all. Really appreciate you doing this, 23. Good stuff!

The key thing for him this year, besides staying healthy, is showing that he can score effectively. At that position, we need points.
EL, I do think - with King onboard - and if we land another scorer, not as critical. But in general I agree. If we are going with King/Roche/Dji/Smith back court, pending portal acquisitions, I do agree that Dji is going to need to score more - as noted above a big first step would just be being more aggressive to drive and look for his own shot. And to me the shooting guard spot is one which I think needs to score, has been a big part of our offense until recently. Previously the likes of Gonzo, Brothers, Francis - all were looking to score and could score effectively.

I do think that Dji can contribute in a lot of ways, and if we have Roche and King on the court with him not as critical to look for his shot.

Didn’t Kevin Anderson attend Chris Paul’s elite guard camp?
Dji, practice the mid range jumper with high arch and the high arch pull up tear drop runner. Know this, you are entering the forest of tall trees so height arch is required. Plus if you become proficient, opposition will start to cheat away from the basket to stop you, leaving base line open for incoming forward to seal rebound or jam after a short little bounce pass.
I know not part of the UR offense.

Dji - have at it

I agree with 23's defense and rebounding assessment. He does get after it defensively, and I do like how he rebounds. I can't agree on saying offensively he effectively plays the PG to SF spots, but agree he can guard all 3.

My main concern with turnovers would be the 1 on 1 turnovers when he has a hard time against a defender who picks him up the length of the court, or gets right up on him in the front court. I agree that using his body and length would be to his advantage against the smaller, quicker, pesky guard type, but overall, I don't think I see a true PG in him.

With aggression, I would agree he needs to be more aggressive, but this is easier said than done if the 3 point shot is not there. It's just harder to drive to the basket consistently if your guy plays off of you a little. So, the issue I see offensively is having some trouble handling if a guy plays him tight, but then not being able to drive as easily if his guy plays off of him. I think having a better outside shot, including form with a quicker release, could help his game tremendously. And, keep working at finishing at the basket when he does get by someone.

For next season, I 100% agree with 23's comments. I don't want to come off sounding too negative. I can admit I have been too hard on Dji at times, and I really am pulling for him. He seems to have a great attitude and looks like he is a great teammate. I'm not sure I would count on more offense from him, so, like 23 did with his Bigs example, I would say the better offense we can put on the floor, the more minutes I could see Dji getting because he does bring solid defense with good size and length out there, but overall, I think he might be maxing out at 10-12 minutes a game, best case, especially if we add another guard.

Last edited:
I’m not buying into the idea that Dji can’t handle the ball against pressure. I prefer him in all facets of the game to both Goose and Jaynel, so I see it as addition by subtraction there. It would be nice to see him stay healthy for a full season, it has to be hard to get any type of groove and confidence when you’re not playing and practicing every day.

Pairing him with King should open up better looks for both of them. The only way I see Brown (if he comes here) starting over Dji is if he gets hurt, otherwise I don’t see a guy who would be an upgrade over Dji in the starting lineup.

My starting 5 would be TB, Quinn, Bigelow, Dji, King with plenty of subs and lineup possibilities with the guys on the bench

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Dji is one of the few guards I felt like could directly get to the rim. I think if he builds on that it will open things up quite a bit for other players.

Agree with VT he has to get better in the 1-1 full court scenarios where’s bringing the ball up.

I’d love to have a big PG for once in an eternity.

Dji should get some time with Scott Ungerer which was probably the last time we had a big PG. Wasn’t a huge scorer, but was great at running the offense for Beilein.

Dji should get some time with Scott Ungerer which was probably the last time we had a big PG. Wasn’t a huge scorer, but was great at running the offense for Beilein.
Ungerer was a good one, and his last 2 years, he shot 37.2% and 37% from 3 on good volume (86 combined makes). He also took care of the basketball, with 278 assists to only 111 turnovers his final 2 years.

No doubt Dji can score. He just has to ignore Mooney's no-handshake insults like all of our good confident guards have done over the years. Nelson couldn't handle the constant brow beating and left. I think if Dji can gain confidence and let his obvious talents go, he will be a huge asset to this team.

Between spider 23 & VT4700, I agree.

As stated in the Jordon King thread, I think that picking up King was the absolute BEST thing that could have happened to Bailey. I see the two of them as starters, and I see them playing very successfully together. Roche especially, or Smith with Bailey likely more challenging.

I don't expect a huge scoring increase from Bailey this year. Paired with King, he doesn't need to score in bunces to have a very effective season. Stay healthy, play defense, and use the mid-range game offensively.

Purposefully! When you're of a certain age, it's impossible to hear any of those words and not immediately think of that song. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: SpiderDad75
I really like Dji as our 2 guard with King now coming in as our PG. Yes, he will not need to score as much with King but he will need to give us more than Goose gave us last year offensively for us to be a decent team.

In that vein, as 23 said, Dji is going to have to look to score and not just distribute, that is even more important if he is not going to be running the point now. If he can't do that, than Roche is gonna get more minutes at the 2. But I question, Roche's ability to guard other teams 2 guards who will be much more athletic than he is.

I really like Dji as our 2 guard with King now coming in as our PG. Yes, he will not need to score as much with King but he will need to give us more than Goose gave us last year offensively for us to be a decent team.

In that vein, as 23 said, Dji is going to have to look to score and not just distribute, that is even more important if he is not going to be running the point now. If he can't do that, than Roche is gonna get more minutes at the 2. But I question, Roche's ability to guard other teams 2 guards who will be much more athletic than he is.
The more Roche the better IMO. Nothing I have seen in 3 seasons tells me Dji can be a scorer. Could he be a Goose type and play good minutes with enough offense around him? Maybe, but I think Goose was the better all around player, so I don't see where I can find more than best case 10-12 minutes for Dji. But, just my opinion, and we will see.

I think Dji can get time at both spots, or even 3 spots.
I just think "Roche is a poor defender" is a myth. I don't think he was bad at all.
yes Dji is stronger defensively and with ball handling/passing. but Roche is the best shooter on the team. he's a real offensive threat. I don't know how much to weigh each component. part of that depends on who else is on the floor.
but I think both can be used extensively. or until one doesn't perform and Smith gets a shot.

Reactions: kneepadmckinney
The more Roche the better IMO. Nothing I have seen in 3 seasons tells me Dji can be a scorer. Could he be a Goose type and play good minutes with enough offense around him? Maybe, but I think Goose was the better all around player, so I don't see where I can find more than best case 10-12 minutes for Dji. But, just my opinion, and we will see.
I’ll take the heavy over on 10-12 minutes. Last season he played 14 per game and the two starters over him are no longer here and only one was replaced in the portal.

On a per-minute basis he led Goose in points, assists, rebounds, steals, and not fouling 3 point shooters at the end of games (I know it isn’t an official metric but hey it left a bad taste in my mouth).

On the “eye test” for me he’s a better defender, ball-handler, and playmaker than Goose. Although that’s subjective and just my opinion. Because of injuries all we’ve seen are glimpses into his play, but I’m definitely buying stock right now.

I’ll take the heavy over on 10-12 minutes. Last season he played 14 per game and the two starters over him are no longer here and only one was replaced in the portal.

On a per-minute basis he led Goose in points, assists, rebounds, steals, and not fouling 3 point shooters at the end of games (I know it isn’t an official metric but hey it left a bad taste in my mouth).

On the “eye test” for me he’s a better defender, ball-handler, and playmaker than Goose. Although that’s subjective and just my opinion. Because of injuries all we’ve seen are glimpses into his play, but I’m definitely buying stock right now.
My eye test says Goose was a much better ball handler, similar play maker, a much better finisher at the rim, more of a threat from 3, and a better defender (although I do like the way Dji can defend also). Just my opinion, and no issues with us disagreeing here because bottom line is we are comparing guys that average 8.9 and 8.0 points a game per 40 minutes over their careers, so it's not like we are comparing a couple of great offensive weapons here.

OK 4700, if you don't want to see 40 minutes of Dji, better get your guy Mooney on the portal trail :). I know you are counting on Smith, and I like as a prospect, but not sure if he will be ready from day 1 - we shall see.

OK 4700, if you don't want to see 40 minutes of Dji, better get your guy Mooney on the portal trail :). I know you are counting on Smith, and I like as a prospect, but not sure if he will be ready from day 1 - we shall see.
I agree we need another piece at guard. I don't want to sound too negative with Dji, and I think everyone knows my opinion there. Whatever minutes Dji gets, if he gets in there and makes a positive impact, I will be on here complimenting him and saying so. I think we have all disagreed on players before. Many on here wanted a lot less time for Goose, Grace, and Randolph, while a few others, like me, appreciated their games more. I think Blake got way more criticism than he ever deserved on here, and I think what some said about Nelson is worse than anything I have said about Dji. So, no worries, those that want more minutes for Dji, all good, and we can just disagree a little on that.

impossible to project minutes without knowing all the pieces, but it's not a death sentence if King, Roche, Dji and Smith are our top 4 guards. we will add another. just don't know where he'll fall in the pecking order.

impossible to project minutes without knowing all the pieces, but it's not a death sentence if King, Roche, Dji and Smith are our top 4 guards. we will add another. just don't know where he'll fall in the pecking order.
I'm kind of in line with 4700's thinking in a way on this: We don't need to add a guard to add a guard. If we cannot add a guy that is number 1 or 2 in this pecking order, not sure what we are doing. We do need another guy that can do the following: create shots for himself, create for others, dribble vs pressure, shoot from 3. Or at least 3 of the 4, otherwise we are duplicating. Kind of like I thought the skillsets Randolph and Roche had were very duplicative, both good, but good in very similar way.

I'm kind of in line with 4700's thinking in a way on this: We don't need to add a guard to add a guard. If we cannot add a guy that is number 1 or 2 in this pecking order, not sure what we are doing. We do need another guy that can do the following: create shots for himself, create for others, dribble vs pressure, shoot from 3. Or at least 3 of the 4, otherwise we are duplicating. Kind of like I thought the skillsets Randolph and Roche had were very duplicative, both good, but good in very similar way.
well the goal is to add a number 1 or 2 in the pecking order, but who do you see on our list that qualifies?
we'll add the best player we can but not sure he'll be as talented as those 4.

I think Dji can get time at both spots, or even 3 spots.
I just think "Roche is a poor defender" is a myth. I don't think he was bad at all.
yes Dji is stronger defensively and with ball handling/passing. but Roche is the best shooter on the team. he's a real offensive threat. I don't know how much to weigh each component. part of that depends on who else is on the floor.
but I think both can be used extensively. or until one doesn't perform and Smith gets a shot.
This. Roches defense was fine. I think offensively he is clearly one dimensional, so I think that’s something Dji brings that roche does not, ie being able to drive and score or dish.

We will need both guys I think.

My eye test says Goose was a much better ball handler, similar play maker, a much better finisher at the rim, more of a threat from 3, and a better defender (although I do like the way Dji can defend also). Just my opinion, and no issues with us disagreeing here because bottom line is we are comparing guys that average 8.9 and 8.0 points a game per 40 minutes over their careers, so it's not like we are comparing a couple of great offensive weapons here.
Love goose but he was not a particularly good finisher at the rim. Most of the rest I agree with.

Reactions: Zeeter
This. Roches defense was fine. I think offensively he is clearly one dimensional, so I think that’s something Dji brings that roche does not, ie being able to drive and score or dish.

We will need both guys I think.
It would be great if both could be key pieces. One thing I think Roche seemed to do more of the 2nd half of the season was shoot more 15 footers, and he made his fair share of them. I don't see him finishing much at the basket, or driving and dishing much, but because he is such a weapon from 3, he can definitely use that to his advantage if guys get too close to him, and drive to the 12-15 range for an open shot.

It would be great if both could be key pieces. One thing I think Roche seemed to do more of the 2nd half of the season was shoot more 15 footers, and he made his fair share of them. I don't see him finishing much at the basket, or driving and dishing much, but because he is such a weapon from 3, he can definitely use that to his advantage if guys get too close to him, and drive to the 12-15 range for an open shot.
Definitely got better as the season wore on. But agree, he doesn’t seem much of a threat to finish at the basket. I don’t care as long as he scores.

Any other guard addition has to be a shooter, at least as part of an overall game. UR couldn’t shoot from outside last year and it was rough.

I hope Dji is working heavily on shooting over all else. Someone like T. Halliburton is a good model of physique and style as a successful comp of a skinnier guard with a funky shooting style. But TH is a great shooter and makes his form work for him. Dji needs to do that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT