ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Manon - Cornell Transfer - Visit 3/28

spider23

Spider's Club
May 31, 2002
Dedmon Center USA
ruhoops.proboards.com
OK, feel free to delete if you think this will get too messy - but feel like anyone we get a visit from should get a thread.

Really like his size / skills / steals / bball IQ combination. As Sman noted, would fit great on the wing next to Dji or hopefully not in place of Dji. Does a little bit of everything. As a 6'5 guard, knows how to use his size to get to the rim it appears from highlights. Sounds like there will be some high level competition for him obviously. But to me seems like a super fit on both fronts.

As a Cornell guy, he may be looking at academics as well. The only school on that list that is comparable to us academically is Davidson.

Reactions: urfan1
Good Stuff MD. Don't like that list of suitors, but you never know. I'm with Ferrum, this guy and Brickus (or a guy like Brickus) would be a super haul.
I'm really curious what happened with his recruitment with us. Last post about it was he had an unofficial visit in april 2019 but nothing else after really. I remember watching him have Gilyards number one game a few years back and wished he had signed with us. UVA, Cal and Seton Hall will be tough to beat out, but if I am PQ I am opening the checkbook for this guy if the interest is mutual. He's already familiar with the landscape of the A10, Mooneys system, and is an excellent scorer, distributor and rebounder. Philly tough. Sign me up.

Last edited:
As a Cornell guy, he may be looking at academics as well. The only school on that list that is comparable to us academically is Davidson.

He’s a grad transfer I’m confused why Davidson is on list I thought SF said no grad programs at Davidson. When it comes to grad degrees I don’t think we hold the academic advantage. In fact some larger schools would. Not to say anything wrong with ours there’s not and best basketball fit likely top priority.

Yeah, I'm confused how Davidson could be in the mix with no grad programs.

There seem to be ways to make an extended career possible there, like Skogman was at Buffalo for three years before transferring to Davidson for two. Maybe all of his credits didn't transfer or he was just able to stretch things out.

Manon is almost certainly leaving Cornell with an undergrad degree, so I have no idea what he would be able to enroll as at Davidson.

I asked this question once before but can't remember if we arrived at an answer or not...but if you wanted to play a fifth year at the same school, why wouldn't you just take the minimum number of credits each semester but not enough in your major to graduate in four? Then at a place like Davidson, you could come back to finish up in your fifth. I guess it would depend on the individual school's willingness to allow it, or is there some NCAA rule against it?

Reactions: gospidersgo
Right, I don't think there's any reason you couldn't do that. The NCAA minimum credits load don't get you out in four years. But yes, it may be up to the institution or like the Ivies where it's a conference rule that you only get four years.

The issue with Manon is that he's almost certainly got that Cornell degree at the end of this year. So does he enroll as an undergrad toward a second degree at Davidson? Seems unlikely that Davidson would allow it and it would be a mess of trying to figure out what transfers toward it and what doesn't. And it would be unlikely he could do it in one year, and I don't see Davidson wanting whatever that Frankenstein enrollment situation that would be affecting its stats.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Pretty sure you can slow walk your degree at most schools, but I think the Ivey has a rule that only allows 4-year scholarships for athletes

Right, I don't think there's any reason you couldn't do that. The NCAA minimum credits load don't get you out in four years. But yes, it may be up to the institution or like the Ivies where it's a conference rule that you only get four years.

The issue with Manon is that he's almost certainly got that Cornell degree at the end of this year. So does he enroll as an undergrad toward a second degree at Davidson? Seems unlikely that Davidson would allow it and it would be a mess of trying to figure out what transfers toward it and what doesn't. And it would be unlikely he could do it in one year, and I don't see Davidson wanting whatever that Frankenstein enrollment situation that would be affecting its stats.
I don’t know if any athlete has, but I assume you could get a second undergrad degree if you were serious about staying 4 years and finish it, paying for 2 or 3 of them.

I plan to get my second undergrad degree when I retire, and major in studying women…
That’s a thing right? Or did I read the majors options wrong?

Last edited:
  • Haha
So it appears once you have completed your undergrad degree, you can remain eligible if you're enrolled in a graduate program, enrolled for a second undergrad degree, or even just continuing as a full-time student with a course load that would lead toward another major or degree even if not officially pursuing one. And that can be at your current institution or another one.

So if your institution allows it, the NCAA is fine with it. Can just keep taking undergrad courses at any school if you want to keep playing.

Section 14.6 and 14.6.1 for those who want to see the whole thing:

Been reported he's a grad transfer, technically he's got about 6 weeks or so left. He had a covid year, so he's done 4 years, "nobody" is doing 4 years at Cornell and leaving without Ivy degree.

I can't see Davidson doing that either fwiw. But they are at a disadvantage these days so maybe they'll have to. A special 1 year undergrad degree in Individualized Study. U study your bank account.

But this will all be resolved once someone sues. Because regular students can take 5 or 6 years etc to finish undergrad (I bet even a few at Davidson tho rare) they will say athletes can play as long as they want as long as working on undergrad. Screw the athletic eligibility rules, this is about the Constitution! We might think outrageous but I think that's the next lawsuit especially if affects a state school with a big time player. The state AG's can't wait.

• Haha
Pretty sure you can slow walk your degree at most schools, but I think the Ivey has a rule that only allows 4-year scholarships for athletes

I've read about coaches trying to slow walking degrees now. It's sad. Covid year will be gone after this one, but I guess it could affect those who have redshirted, or maybe on track to grad early if they took a lot of summer classes which the players often do. Coaches actively working against that to eliminate possible grad transfers. The immediate eligibility now doesn't help that, but kids who have put in 3 or 4 years straight at 1 school do usually care about coming out with a degree.

I assume he'd just take classes he's interested in, but with no thought of an extra degree? it would be a basketball decision.

but yeah, we have a big advantage over Davidson for any grad transfer looking for a masters. at least we have a program.

but our grad school is not even on any rankings. think we have 700 kids in post grad, and that may include the law school. we're a great undregrad institution but not much of a post grad destination.

You can only compete in 8 academic semesters in the Ivy League. Your clock starts the fall of your freshman year.

Reactions: fan2011
Georgetown is extremely well thought of academically. the hoops program sure isn't what it used to be though.

he's got some good options including UR. can't speak to the other basketball fits, but I think he'd have a big role here.

Wow, It's already Chris Manon Day! Hoping it goes well. Looks like weather not great today, but better next two days.
Think he would be a great fit, and think he could put up numbers and impact winning in a big way if he ends up on our team.

Didn't realize that he led the Ivy in steals, too. Pretty impressive for a bigger guard, and for someone who only played 22 minutes a game. I guess they liked to run a lot and just move guys in and out? Even so, seems odd that you wouldn't find a way to get him something closer to 30 minutes a game. Could be in line for a jump in output in our system. Let's hope we get him.

Love that we're the leader, but nothing is guaranteed...wonder what other schools he's visisting.

Good news so far. It seems we are the first visit likely though, so hope this holds up. Saw another p6 message board and they were NOT valuing Chris as much as spidernation. Hopefully he is getting that messaging overall from our staff, etc. I think he would be a great fit here and really be a focal point, as well as a guy that can impact winning.

Not to throw water on this because he does have a lot to like.

But he is not a 3 point shooter, attempts less than 2 per game. So, would we be getting him to play the 2 or 3 for us. If we want him to play the 2, we are going to pair him with Tyne/D-Lo, neither of which are above average 3 point shooters. If we play him at the 3, he is gonna be undersized. Obviously it worked having a non 3 point threat (Dji) in our offense, but that is because we had Jordan King who could shoot from anywhere on the team and because Dji excelled at every other aspect of the game, besides shooting.

Our offense is predicated so much on finding the open shooter, so that is the one reservation I would have about him.

Not to throw water on this because he does have a lot to like.

But he is not a 3 point shooter, attempts less than 2 per game. So, would we be getting him to play the 2 or 3 for us. If we want him to play the 2, we are going to pair him with Tyne/D-Lo, neither of which are above average 3 point shooters. If we play him at the 3, he is gonna be undersized. Obviously it worked having a non 3 point threat (Dji) in our offense, but that is because we had Jordan King who could shoot from anywhere on the team and because Dji excelled at every other aspect of the game, besides shooting.

Our offense is predicated so much on finding the open shooter, so that is the one reservation I would have about him.
All fair comments, but don't forget, he only played 22 mpg. I love high volume 3 guys, but it is not a given you will easily land one every year. A 4 guard rotation of Hunt, Manon, Allen, and Tyne seems like it could work. All shoot the 3 with a good mix of size and quickness. And, maybe Tanner is ready to be a rotation guy and can shoot the 3 as well.

No doubt we want to get open looks from 3. King was the type of shooter that didn't always need them, but that is not usually the case with guys. Hunt had mostly great looks and made a good amount of them. Tyne had a lot of great looks and will definitely need to knock more down next season. Bigs seemed to do a better job with shot selection from 3 and made a high percentage. Dji had a lot of open looks, sometimes shot and sometimes didn't, but he was able to still finish at the rim, even if guys played off of him a little. Best case is we get all 3 point guys out there ( other than our big) and if left open, they make enough to help the overall offense be more successful. Also, the more 3 point guys you have out there, the better chance for one or more to get hot and have some 4-6 type games from there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT