ADVERTISEMENT

A-10 All Defensive Team

SpiderDad75

Team Manager
Gold Member
May 12, 2020
Davidson’s Grant Huffman, along with Holmes, Jimmy Clarke, Kyle Rose and Andy Tsimbila were all chosen for the Preseason All-Defensive Team.

I’m definitely going bias here…but no way Dji shouldn’t be on this team at end of season. The center for GW that leads the league in blocks would be another. Not sure who else…Who do you guys think? If not Dji, no worries just trying to pass the time 😀

We have a number of members of this board who should qualify for an all-defensive team.

Anyway, it's always hard to set aside the Spider-colored glasses. Dji certainly has my vote. Feel like these things rely a decent amount on stats, and Dji is third in the league in steals behind Clark and Rose.

Defense is obviously much more than that, but it's hard for a lot of aspects to show up in stats, so it comes down to subjective eye tests by the coaches doing the voting.

I think he's got a decent shot, but there only 6 spots and 15 teams, so it's obviously extremely competitive. There's a baked-in hurdle with Clark and Rose being on the defensive team last year and getting the preseason nods again this year and also showing well. Has Dji made enough of an impression to overcome the "default picks"?

You know Holmes is going to get on there. Agree Akingbola will get on there for leading in blocks by a solid margin.

Huffman seems to be the most vulnerable comparable player to Dji from the preseason list that he could bump off. Certainly seems possible.

All defensive team is always so tough to predict. Unless you have a player like Gilly was, who led the league/country in probably one of the 2 defensive stats (steals and blocks) that are both tracked and understood by everyone.

Dji should be on it, he is our best defender on a team that (I'm not sure where we rank) but is probably one of the best defensive teams in the league.

If we win the league, it would be tough to not include a Richmond player on this team. Similarily, if we win the league, than I think King gets a lot more attention for POY.

Right now, if we finish first I would have:

King: First team All-10 (second most votes behind Holmes for POY)
Quinn: Second team All-10
Bigs: Third team All-10
Dji: All defensive team

Those are just wild guesses though.

We have a number of members of this board who should qualify for an all-defensive team.

Anyway, it's always hard to set aside the Spider-colored glasses. Dji certainly has my vote. Feel like these things rely a decent amount on stats, and Dji is third in the league in steals behind Clark and Rose.

Defense is obviously much more than that, but it's hard for a lot of aspects to show up in stats, so it comes down to subjective eye tests by the coaches doing the voting.

I think he's got a decent shot, but there only 6 spots and 15 teams, so it's obviously extremely competitive. There's a baked-in hurdle with Clark and Rose being on the defensive team last year and getting the preseason nods again this year and also showing well. Has Dji made enough of an impression to overcome the "default picks"?

You know Holmes is going to get on there. Agree Akingbola will get on there for leading in blocks by a solid margin.

Huffman seems to be the most vulnerable comparable player to Dji from the preseason list that he could bump off. Certainly seems possible.
All very good points...and hard to argue against as well.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
All defensive team is always so tough to predict. Unless you have a player like Gilly was, who led the league/country in probably one of the 2 defensive stats (steals and blocks) that are both tracked and understood by everyone.

Dji should be on it, he is our best defender on a team that (I'm not sure where we rank) but is probably one of the best defensive teams in the league.

If we win the league, it would be tough to not include a Richmond player on this team. Similarily, if we win the league, than I think King gets a lot more attention for POY.

I can agree with that...King def POY if we win league but will there be too many Holmes groupies that vote for him. 1-3 conf teams also hard to argue against

I don't know how you can not include a guy averaging 2.7 blocks per game, 7th in the country. And Tsimbila is right behind him in 8th at 2.4.

I don't know how you can not include a guy averaging 2.7 blocks per game, 7th in the country. And Tsimbila is right behind him in 8th at 2.4.
I somewhat agree but what else should be in the criteria? Idk...but guards and wings seem to have a lot more work to do than to just block shots as a center. Hard not to make a case for at least one of those guys. I personally think guarding the teams best player (Usually a guard or wing) is tougher than what centers do. But I'm biased for sure.

Reactions: spider23
I agree with some things mentioned. u don't know with voters and their subjective biases sometimes. Frankly I've said b4 that Goose should have gotten some consideration in past, but it's hard when u don't have the offensive stats or u r a real outlier in a defensive category, or your team isn't good (last year only). Well Dji is a stat stuffer and does have all those. Very high in steals, but more importantly, even though its a defensive category only, he has offensive stats too. Our team D is ranked high and we're currently 1st place in A10.

Dji deserves it and I do think he'll get it. I'll be surprised if he doesn't.

I think you nailed it with your predictions.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
I agree with some things mentioned. u don't know with voters and their subjective biases sometimes. Frankly I've said b4 that Goose should have gotten some consideration in past, but it's hard when u don't have the offensive stats or u r a real outlier in a defensive category, or your team isn't good (last year only). Well Dji is a stat stuffer and does have all those. Very high in steals, but more importantly, even though its a defensive category only, he has offensive stats too. Our team D is ranked high and we're currently 1st place in A10.

Dji deserves it and I do think he'll get it. I'll be surprised if he doesn't.
how does he rank with d rbs?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT