ADVERTISEMENT

Pace of play

brooklyn brownstone

Graduate Assistant
Oct 31, 2007
Announcers mentioned it in one of the last couple games - Moon saying he wanted UR to play with more pace. Since someone mentioned how the defense has given up a bunch of points the past few games, thought it bears discussing whether that is actually defensive issues - p&r defense, etc - or whether UR is indeed playing a more uptempo game, which naturally lends itself to more possessions and points given up?

I def. feel that this team has the offensive talent to play fast/faster, and especially against teams that are less disciplined, UR gets a significant edge out of more possessions. We turn it over less frequently than opponents so should have more shot opportunities. And a looser game leads to more back cuts against lazy defenders - feel like we got a good number of layups off back cuts against GW and URI, same vs Fordham.

I think the defense is still there, but teams do seem to be onto the idea that they can pick and roll UR and we will play drop coverage with our big, leaving the guard to defend the pick at the point of attack. It also sort of forces our big into less than ideal rebounding position if they do drive from that play. Am glad Davidson's 3 point shooting big is out for this game (I think?) because that was the main play they exploited in the first matchup, that pick and pop 3.

Overall though, I'm okay with a faster pace, especially at home. I think it suits Jordan's game pretty well, and when he gets going, UR rolls.

Coming out of half time, we really picked up the pace of play at URI and the results were good. Couple of URI fans around me commented on it just as I was thinking the same. And Jordan did get a couple of fairly clean layups off the increased pace.

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT