ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Sherod - out for season with torn ACL

Awful. Nothing more to say. I guess this could be a reason for him to come back for a sixth year if he wants to. The good news, if there is some, is that it frees up more minutes for Burton, who is ready for them.

Tough loss. Thinking of Nick he didn’t deserve this setback. The guys r gonna rally around him.

Feel awful for him, having this happen twice, he seems like one of the really good guys.

Reactions: urfan1
This sucks. Sherod is a fantastic representative of not only our program but the University as whole. And I'm not even getting into what the loss of him does for our team right now, both from a leadership and more obviously what he is able to do on the court. You never want to see anyone get hurt, but damn 2 ACL tears for him now. That is just not fair.

Heartbreaking for such a great kid. Sounds like college is done based on his latest IG post. Prayers up!

Man, this really really really SUCKS. Great guy, local guy, all time VA hs scorer. Steady, classy, elite, lots of words to describe him on and off the court, but this is unreal and this is really typical 2020, the hits just keep coming.

Wish you well Nick, you will be a success in life whether it involves hoops or not. Hope you do decide to come back for one more year. I am taking this as a sign from the basketball gods that this year will be tanked by covid, and you and all your senior teammates will be back. I was counting on everyone having a ton of success this year and moving on, but now I am all in favor of the season being halted after 5 games and everyone being back next season. Wish you well in your recovery.

And VT, I was with you in the mooney skepticism, but your joy over this just cements you as a POS, glad you just spanked by a mediocre UNC football team. Welcome to a century of mediocrity in tech sports, you deserve it well.

Wow. The only silver lining is that this team , this year, is built to overcome this type of huge hit. But Nick was a guy that was so steady, and never afraid to hit a big shot, or make a big play. Huge hit to our team. Sucks.

Reactions: Stork3
Man, this really really really SUCKS. Great guy, local guy, all time VA hs scorer. Steady, classy, elite, lots of words to describe him on and off the court, but this is unreal and this is really typical 2020, the hits just keep coming.

Wish you well Nick, you will be a success in life whether it involves hoops or not. Hope you do decide to come back for one more year. I am taking this as a sign from the basketball gods that this year will be tanked by covid, and you and all your senior teammates will be back. I was counting on everyone having a ton of success this year and moving on, but now I am all in favor of the season being halted after 5 games and everyone being back next season. Wish you well in your recovery.

And VT, I was with you in the mooney skepticism, but your joy over this just cements you as a POS, glad you just spanked by a mediocre UNC football team. Welcome to a century of mediocrity in tech sports, you deserve it well.

Wow. The only silver lining is that this team , this year, is built to overcome this type of huge hit. But Nick was a guy that was so steady, and never afraid to hit a big shot, or make a big play. Huge hit to our team. Sucks.
I would just like to say that I am in no way happy that Nick tore his acl. Really terrible luck to have this happen to him two times in his career and as a former high school athlete who had my career cut short by an injury, I can emphasize with the pain he is going through. I never wish injury on anyone, no matter how much I dislike the team or the coach. Nick is a great kid on and off the court and I really hope he recovers well and maybe decides to come back for a 6th year. One last thing I have to say is that this has made me realize that you can’t take things for granted and that we may never see Nick play for us again. I watched some UR games on tv this past year and can remember the Davidson game in particular when Nick was knocking down three after three and I was mad at the great game he was having because I have been rooting against UR for the last few years because of the coach. Looking back I feel legitimately terrible about rooting against a good kid like Nick and the other players for UR. I remember the joy Nick had on his face during that game when he was lighting it up out there and this situation has made me rethink how I root against UR because we have some great players who have had great careers and it is wrong to root against them because I dislike the coach. Here’s to a fast recovery for Nick and hopefully the team shows out for him this year! Go Spiders!

Reactions: gcarter52
Really sorry for Nick. Unfortunately, he knows exactly what it takes to get back from this injury and may decide that it simply isn’t in the cards for him to return. As much as I like to see him hit the 3, pull down rebounds, and contribute to the Spider cause, he may think it is time to move on to the next challenge and to do other great things, like teach. He will always be a great UR representative and I thank him for representing the area as well as the school.

Hope he gets a chance to do something fun with this season, maybe getting a chance to announce a game while he is still here. I am sure he will also help lead the team through whatever type of season there is even though he can’t play.

Take care Nick and hope the surgery goes well.

Hope he gets a chance to do something fun with this season, maybe getting a chance to announce a game while he is still here. I am sure he will also help lead the team through whatever type of season there is even though he can’t play.
that's a great idea, RichmondNative.
I'd love to hear Nick with Bob & Greg doing games together this season. he wants to get into sports broadcasting. let's get him started.

I had a coworker that is moderately interested in college hoops mention this to me before I had gotten a chance to actually see the news and I was hoping with everything that he was mistaken..tough day. Heart goes out to Nick and his family who were all working hard towards what we all expected to be an outstanding season. Heal up and best of luck in your future endeavors young man!

Reactions: nathanw19
Nick changed his mind about journalism/sports broadcasting...he's going into secondary education, hence the master's degree he's pursuing.

Reactions: spiderman
Prayers for Nick that the surgery goes well and he recovers as quickly as possible. Prayers for his mother and father in their anguish over this happening again. Nick will make the best of it and will be stronger because of it. Will miss seeing his sweet shot from 3 point range when he is in the "zone".

I’m praying for you Nick. Get well soon. One of my high school basketball players busted his knee and ankle at one time. With encouragement from teammates, family and friends, he has gone on to great things in his basketball career other than playing. God has greater plans for you Nick. Oh, that player was Kennard Wyche.

Just wanted to chime in and give my sad feeling with Nick getting injured again. Hope he gets well soon and wants to come back next season as the LEADER of the team. Been away from here but have enjoyed the banter with 32 and 4700 across the aisle. LOL. Maybe when I post over there I should just address it to 4732?

Wanted to pass along if none of you have heard the interview with Nick today by Bob Black and Matt. It is in the last 15 minutes or so of the Russ and Bob Black show concerning football. Just click about three fourths of the way through if you do not want to hear the football talk.

I think you will all get an idea of how outstanding and mature a young man Nick is when you listen to it, especially when he talks about his family and teammates.
Wish him a speedy and healthy recovery from his injury and I feel confident he has a great future ahead of him.

Just the possibility of loss in depth basically. We have senior leadership the issue is consistency. If someone gets hurt or has a bad night. Being in foul trouble or something like that.

Reactions: plydogg
We really miss his deep shots, more importantly the timeliness of his miracle shots

If Crabtree can make it back as he was, we’ll be better than OK.
Yes, this is speculation for those who are counting.
He was really good at hitting that off balance mid range shot he had last year too. Guy could score in multiple ways, he is absolutely missed.

Is Sherod still around the team? I imagine he’s not traveling with them due to COVID/rehab but I haven’t seen him in huddles/on screen during games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT