ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Richmond Spiders Football - Prologue - Morgan State

We should never lose to Morgan State in anything. Football, tiddlywinks, underwater basketweaving, whatever. Especially not at home. Good thing our AD didn't just give Russ an extension on the basis of one good season... oh, wait.
They not only accept mediocrity, they actively undermine our coaches and players.

We should never lose to Morgan State in anything. Football, tiddlywinks, underwater basketweaving, whatever. Especially not at home. Good thing our AD didn't just give Russ an extension on the basis of one good season... oh, wait.

In unscientific polling I’d say about 90% were very worried Huesman was a one-hit wonder off the backs of Cosh and Udinski. But our big hat no cattle AD ran to give him a multi-year extension. How many years? Could be 3-5. We don’t know for sure tho because we don’t announce terms, it must always remain a secret.

On top of this, when sh*t hits the fan, it’s so dang easy to give up on the year! Season’s over! What’s our plan for next Saturday? I’ll tell you Tuesday AM 100 spiders will get up and go practice or coach it. Part of me hopes they read this and give up on their season, but oddly I think they’re going to approach each week the exact same way. Players and coaches the same.
I was there last night…just like I am for almost every home game and some road games so I’m not throwing stones from behind a keyboard…I put my money where my mouth is and support this team/school with my time and voice BUT last night wasn’t just poor execution and an “off” game. Yes, you can’t win games with multiple turnovers but our offensive coaches had no answers or adjustments and our qb looked completely overwhelmed. What is our offensive scheme? We literally threw one pass beyond 10 yards (it was intercepted). I understand supporting the team but shouldn’t we expect better than this from a veteran head coach. I’ll end my rant with this…besides last year when was the last time we had an offensive identity? The answer should explain why I have zero faith in this head coach or this season.

We give extensions to be nice, instead of giving them as if we are actually running a business. The only reasons we should ever give coaching extensions are if a coach clearly has demonstrated repeated high levels of success and/or there are legitimate reasons to believe he or she could move to a bigger program and our program would suffer as a result. That's it.

No one better than UR was going to hire Huesman after last season. No one better than UR was going to hire Mooney when he got his last extension. Both extensions were pointless.

It’s standard operating procedure for our two primary sports. A good season negates multiple previous underperformance seasons. Sounds like a sound model. East money. Kick the can down the road.

We lost 2 big time,experienced wide receivers-1 being an All American

We lost a big time,experienced Dudley award winning QB with 5/6 years of experience.

We lost a big time RB who made it to the final NFL cut

We shut out Davidson in 1st round of playoffs.Davidson lost to VMI today,12-7.

We lost a young,hot shot OC who was responsible for the recruiting of
2 of our most productive offensive players.Billy was replaced by co-OCs that double as position coaches and a separate QB Coach.Crazy.

We were 9-4 with all that artillery and took Sac State to the final minutes.

We are hardly a 9-4 team even with a far weaker schedule.

Let’s hope Kyle makes it out of East Lansing in one piece.
32"s points are spot on. in addition there were also new position coaches. our O line was a complete inept failure. we only lost joe moore. these guys are upper class. even wheeler said this team"s not the same. unfortunately, there are so many issues here, there is no way this is fixed in this season.

We lost a big time,experienced Dudley award winning QB with 5/6 years of experience.

We lost Jasiah Williams for the season.His versatility and quickness and shiftiness especially on flare pass catches is sorely missed.He brought another dimension to the offense.

2 of our most productive offensive players.Billy was replaced by co-OCs that double as position coaches and a separate QB Coach.Crazy.

Think part of problem was Kyle.

This, for all of Mooneys faults, he wasn't handed a benz when he got here, in fact was given a $h!t sandwich, at least he built it into a S16 and 2 NCAAs from practically nothing. Compare that to RH first 6 years. In his first year, he took over a team returning 80% of the starters with a NFL QB, off a team that made the NCAAs the 3 previous seasons that included a semi final appearance. And managed to go 6-5 with that same squad. Helen Keller could of come up with a better gameplan he did that season, and frankly most subsequent seasons. Of course it took RH 5 years to get back to just being a good team, and we’re going right back into the toilet.
Yes.

A few bumps along the way, but our program had a continued build-up since Dave Clawson took over. A National Championship, numerous conference championships. another national semifinal. Players going to the pros. Regular REAL sellouts that didn't require 5$ ticket giveaways.

By the time we finally move on from Huesman, the program will be all the way back down the "pre-Clawson" condition again.

Tough to square this video from 6 years ago with how things played out.

Re: Playoffs last year. Most of us are old enough to remember when the FCS was a 16 team playoff and it included schools like Ga Southern, App State, Marshall, JMU...and we battled them.

Beating a non-scholarship Davidson team in a 24-team playoff does not merit major praise and a contract extension. Far from it.

We lost Jasiah Williams for the season.His versatility and quickness and shiftiness especially on flare pass catches is sorely missed.He brought another dimension to the offense.

32, you never mentioned Kelsey! Never forget Kelsey!

Reactions: 32counter
Cade Salyers not playing due to injury hurt us in the OL both with running lanes and pass protection.

Morgan State’s DL penetration seemed way too easy which forced Kyle to hurry more often than not.
But depth. That’s what I heard we had. Excuses!

Beating a non-scholarship Davidson team in a 24-team playoff does not merit major praise and a contract extension. Far from it.
Your points are generally correct, However, we had a great season last year. It merits praise for the team and Billy Cosh. But maybe not for the head coach.

Your points are generally correct, However, we had a great season last year. It merits praise for the team and Billy Cosh. But maybe not for the head coach.
An example of a great season would be exceeding expectations, something we have not done in quite some time. Had we beaten WM last season and not lost our composure at SSU, I would agree. A season like last year was par for the course during the Clawson-London-Rocco era, not a call for an extension.

Yes.

A few bumps along the way, but our program had a continued build-up since Dave Clawson took over. A National Championship, numerous conference championships. another national semifinal. Players going to the pros. Regular REAL sellouts that didn't require 5$ ticket giveaways.

By the time we finally move on from Huesman, the program will be all the way back down the "pre-Clawson" condition again.

Tough to square this video from 6 years ago with how things played out.

What strikes me most, Mo, is the number of fans in the stands in snippets of the video. We have lost a lot of oxygen in the last 6 years in that regard.

An example of a great season would be exceeding expectations, something we have not done in quite some time. Had we beaten WM last season and not lost our composure at SSU, I would agree. A season like last year was par for the course during the Clawson-London-Rocco era, not a call for an extension.
Agreed. To each their own with definition of "great", but i would reserve the word "great" for a conference championship or Quarterfinal trip or deeper.

It was a "pretty good" season to me.

Reactions: DTSpider
Once Cosh walked and they went with this two coordinator stuff, hired his son, you’d have to know we were going back to the limited pass offense he ran at UTC. Buckle up for a dud of an offense all season.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Holy smokes! I hope no one here comes to Delaware State! Don’t think I’ve ever seen a crew give up on a team like this after one game! Clearly have never faced adversity in their lives. Let’s keep bashing the program! Cheers!

Holy smokes! I hope no one here comes to Delaware State! Don’t think I’ve ever seen a crew give up on a team like this after one game! Clearly have never faced adversity in their lives. Let’s keep bashing the program! Cheers!
Remember, the vast majority of folks on this board are level headed fans who won't resort to name calling and other childish comments we've seen here. I am very frustrated with yesterday, but I believe these coaches and kids will learn from this and get better. Like Tristen said in the interview, better now to learn from this now than latter. The team's goals are still in reach.

Reactions: urfan1
Remember, the vast majority of folks on this board are level headed fans who won't resort to name calling and other childish comments we've seen here. I am very frustrated with yesterday, but I believe these coaches and kids will learn from this and get better. Like Tristen said in the interview, better now to learn from this now than latter. The team's goals are still in reach.
I think we’re on the same page here. I didn’t call anyone names. Have I seen individual players called out here? Reluctantly, yes, too many times… (as a whole they didn’t play well at all)… I think Tristan spoke very well about the state of the team. No finger pointing! This team will win at least 7 CAA games, including W&M.

I think we’re on the same page here. I didn’t call anyone names. Have I seen individual players called out here? Reluctantly, yes, too many times… (as a whole they didn’t play well at all)… I think Tristan spoke very well about the state of the team. No finger pointing! This team will win at least 7 CAA games, including W&M.
Yes on the same page, I wasn't referring to you at all with the name calling comment.

Reactions: JSLA_Spider
Guessing you are the parent of a current player, and if so, I get it. But remember that most of us here have seen our football program win a national championship. So the idea of losing to a team like Morgan State is sort of incomprehensible, even in a down year.

And many of us think our coach is unfortunately clueless. Nothing against the players, they aren't the ones coming up with the game strategy. Of course, there doesn't seem to be one anyway, which is part of the problem.

Reactions: Dr. Spidey
Guessing you are the parent of a current player, and if so, I get it. But remember that most of us here have seen our football program win a national championship. So the idea of losing to a team like Morgan State is sort of incomprehensible, even in a down year.

And many of us think our coach is unfortunately clueless. Nothing against the players, they aren't the ones coming up with the game strategy. Of course, there doesn't seem to be one anyway, which is part of the problem.
I am Not a parent of a current player. Am fully aware of the Natty Run. Am fully aware that losing to Morgan State is inexcusable. No doubt about it.

Who else lost to inexcusable opponents was BC, Texas Tech and Baylor. I’m sure all 3 of them have quit on their season. Have a feeling those teams, as our will, will show up to practice Tuesday as we type away.

In one breath you’re talking about winning a national championship and the next you bash the defensive coordinator of that team? The guy that lead the defense for that team is clueless? Make that make sense please. Sounds illogical to me.

Do believe we need to take a deep breath and step back from the cliff. It was one game, a most miserable one no doubt. We dug a hole with that loss, but the Spiders have not been buried for the season.

Major concern is the offense. Wickersham started his first game. Winston October called his first. The O-line neither opened holes for the backs nor gave a rookie QB much time to read and throw. Play calling was uninspiring. Expect all of these to improve.

One swallow does not a summer make. Opening loss to a weak opponent does not a doomed season make.

I am Not a parent of a current player. Am fully aware of the Natty Run. Am fully aware that losing to Morgan State is inexcusable. No doubt about it.

Who else lost to inexcusable opponents was BC, Texas Tech and Baylor. I’m sure all 3 of them have quit on their season. Have a feeling those teams, as our will, will show up to practice Tuesday as we type away.

In one breath you’re talking about winning a national championship and the next you bash the defensive coordinator of that team? The guy that lead the defense for that team is clueless? Make that make sense please. Sounds illogical to me.
We have enough of a track record on Huesman the head coach to differentiate him from Huesman the defensive coordinator, wouldn't you agree? He was a good head coach when he had his son playing QB and when he had Cosh running his offense. Otherwise, not good. Neither is in place this season, hence my lack of faith. Perhaps he'll prove me wrong and do something he's never done before in a decade or so as a head coach.

Most likely, we need to be 8-3 to make the playoffs. We will start 0-2. I have little reason to expect us to finish 8-1. That's why this game was so important.

Last edited:
Agreed. To each their own with definition of "great", but i would reserve the word "great" for a conference championship or Quarterfinal trip or deeper.
No way. A great season is one where we defeat, destroy and crush (even by one point), the hated Indians from Williamsburg. Nothing else matters.

No way. A great season is one where we defeat, destroy and crush (even by one point), the hated Indians from Williamsburg. Nothing else matters.
Disagree, the W&M game can certainly have a huge impact on view of season, and does provide satisfaction. But I cannot say 1-10 is great under any circumstances.

Reactions: Spiderwiz
Disagree, the W&M game can certainly have a huge impact on view of season, and does provide satisfaction. But I cannot say 1-10 is great under any circumstances.
We will agree to disagree. The tribelets are especially high on their prospects this season.

In interview before the season started, Huesman was asked what were the strengths of his
Team and he said speed. Well supposedly playing a lower tier FCS school you would expect we
would have the speed advantage, but that was not evident Saturday. How do you think that will
look against MSU? If we gain 100 total yards for the game, I will be amazed. This lost falls on the coaches
and what appears to have been poor preparation, lack of in game adjustment and poor execution.

We have enough of a track record on Huesman the head coach to differentiate him from Huesman the defensive coordinator, wouldn't you agree? He was a good head coach when he had his son playing QB and when he had Cosh running his offense. Otherwise, not good. Neither is in place this season, hence my lack of faith. Perhaps he'll prove me wrong and do something he's never done before in a decade or so as a head coach.

Most likely, we need to be 8-3 to make the playoffs. We will start 0-2. I have little reason to expect us to finish 8-1. That's why this game was so important.
Even if we somehow finish 8-3 we will be compared to other borderline playoff teams by the committee. The loss to Morgan State is an eliminator. That’s yet another reason for the gloom and doom…I’m sure we will get better…almost every team does..but just like in basketball that’s a resume killing loss. You expect mistakes in game 1 but we looked completely overwhelmed in two of the three phases of the game and the lack of adjustments was very concerning. Maybe there were no adjustments that could be made with the way the OL was struggling but they are a veteran group whose coach is one of our co-coordinators so that’s damning in its own right. I don’t think anything I just said was “mean” or “unfair” to the team or coaches…the head man himself used the word embarrassing. It just feels like we doubled down on the status quo this off season and did the easy step of promoting within instead of getting another outside, innovative voice like Cosh to run the offense. We’ll see how it goes and I’ll gladly eat copious amounts of crow if we reel off 7,8,9 wins in a row but I’m curious if there will be any criticism or scrutiny if we fail to make the playoffs.

You're not wrong, Captain. That loss almost requires us to go beat Michigan State Saturday in order to make the playoffs. Crazy. The alternative is going undefeated in the CAA and getting the autobid. Anyone want to wager on that happening?

Brace yourself now for Hardt's email in January pronouncing the season a success after we finish by winning five of our last seven or something (but miss the playoffs).

We don't have to beat MSU to make the playoffs. If we finish 8-3, we are in, period. It is a tall order after the opening debacle, but doable. Convinced we have a hell of a better team than we saw Saturday.

Agree, we were not ready to play and that is on the coaches. Team lacked focus. Played sloppy. On the flip side, with the Wheeler led defense we should be in most every game barring catastrophic TOs.

Do believe we need to take a deep breath and step back from the cliff. It was one game, a most miserable one no doubt. We dug a hole with that loss, but the Spiders have not been buried for the season.

Major concern is the offense. Wickersham started his first game. Winston October called his first. The O-line neither opened holes for the backs nor gave a rookie QB much time to read and throw. Play calling was uninspiring. Expect all of these to improve.

One swallow does not a summer make. Opening loss to a weak opponent does not a doomed season make.
We lost to a glorified D2 team at home in our pay game in which we were 4 TD favorites. I get the nuance of your argument and you seem like a smart person. What are your expectations going forward? Playoffs or improvement?

For me, we should be making FCS playoffs regularly and dominating teams like Morgan St. We cant even do that.

If you think all of a sudden that we will finish the rest of the regular season 8-1 (because were definitely losing to MSU) or improve enough to salvage the season when we lost to our easiest opponent, just to even get in the discussion of the FCS playoffs, pass around what you are smoking to everyone else on here so we can have a good laugh at this season.

I think we need to take the advice of John Hardt's daddy and temper our expectations this season.

*Disclaimer - Before anyone comes on here and says I'm being too negative and hating. This is not a shot at any of the players or the team, I appreciate what they do day in and day out for us, my disgust is 100% with this bumbling HC, AD, and his handler to allow it to get to this point. They have failed them and us. I hope that they can overcome all the ineptness of our athletic department and salvage the season so we can all look back at this game and say it was an overreaction. Look at the home atmosphere, I cant blame our student athletes for not playing optimally when your home atmosphere is less audible than a funeral home and were handing out tickets like halloween candy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT