ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Richmond Spiders Football - Prologue - Morgan State

When I watched the Wickersham interview this week he said he watched lot of film on Mancuso. Gave me a chill. He said he also watched Udinski film. he should have been totally focused on Udinski and Lauletta. But now I realize the emphasis on Mancuso. It’s like last years improved O never happened.

Cosh, the guy from VMI, is gone. Hired away.
We lost Cosh and his 2 VMI players. We lost several other good offensive players. However good teams and good coaches adapt. Unfortunately we don’t. The offense looked inept almost the entire game. The defense got run over. And special teams were equally bad. The season looks long unless tonight was an anomaly. My guess is we play to Russ’s norm - saved by a good year last year.

Reactions: SpiderK
Will there be accountability? No there won’t be any. Russ is a loser. This is beyond anything Mooney has done. Im sorry for Spider fans everywhere.
This, for all of Mooneys faults, he wasn't handed a benz when he got here, in fact was given a $h!t sandwich, at least he built it into a S16 and 2 NCAAs from practically nothing. Compare that to RH first 6 years. In his first year, he took over a team returning 80% of the starters with a NFL QB, off a team that made the NCAAs the 3 previous seasons that included a semi final appearance. And managed to go 6-5 with that same squad. Helen Keller could of come up with a better gameplan he did that season, and frankly most subsequent seasons. Of course it took RH 5 years to get back to just being a good team, and we’re going right back into the toilet.

Last edited:
When I watched the Wickersham interview this week he said he watched lot of film on Mancuso. Gave me a chill. He said he also watched Udinski film. he should have been totally focused on Udinski and Lauletta. But now I realize the emphasis on Mancuso. It’s like last years improved O never happened.
Wicker-Sham

• Haha
Reactions: Gallipoli
Based on this evening's performance, I may not have the stomach to watch next week. Most embarrassing loss that I can recall after watching 62 years of Spider football. Yet I still love the Spiders!

Huesman look notably nonconfidant during his pregame interview. Didn’t seem to have much faith in Wickersham and now I see why.

264 yards of total offense isn't going to win many games.

Our O line got schooled. Defense played well enough. Special teams were far from special. Seven penalties and 4 TOs are unacceptable. Sloppy play.

Our qb isn’t good. He stood held the ball like he was posing for pictures. And he’s too slow to get
away from any defender. God save us next week!
Even bigger concern for me is why our coaching staff couldn’t see this all off-season and bring in a transfer qb. Russ has a defensive background and has not developed any high school quarterbacks since he’s been head coach here. He is completely dependent on his offensive coordinator (as we saw last year) and instead of bringing in a sought after offensive mind he doubled down by promoting from within. We have no offensive scheme and a qb that looks a long way from even being competent. We are in real trouble and I’m not confident that Hardt will do the right thing for the program and hire a young, dynamic offensive mind (think Dave Clawson).

It starts at the top. Team was not prepared properly to play against a team that any CAA mid / top tier should never lose too. I’ve never been a fan of RH as head coach, and this loss reinforces that.

Ahhh, par for the course. Basketball sucks, baseball sucks, football tonight really sucked and lacrosse will suck as soon as the coach gets a better offer. Go Colorado Buffs.

Here comes the post no one wants to read! Our players didn’t play well enough! Thought the defense played well and the offense clearly wasn’t there. Shake ups on the OLine the day of the game is going to screw with a 19-20 year olds head. Don’t care what anyone says. This board has more comments on it than when this team beat Davidson + went to California and were the better team… can someone tell me why we root for this teams struggles? Phone is dying, have more to say…

Here comes the post no one wants to read! Our players didn’t play well enough! Thought the defense played well and the offense clearly wasn’t there. Shake ups on the OLine the day of the game is going to screw with a 19-20 year olds head. Don’t care what anyone says. This board has more comments on it than when this team beat Davidson + went to California and were the better team… can someone tell me why we root for this teams struggles? Phone is dying, have more to say…
On top of this, when sh*t hits the fan, it’s so dang easy to give up on the year! Season’s over! What’s our plan for next Saturday? I’ll tell you Tuesday AM 100 spiders will get up and go practice or coach it. Part of me hopes they read this and give up on their season, but oddly I think they’re going to approach each week the exact same way. Players and coaches the same.

We lost 2 big time,experienced wide receivers-1 being an All American

We lost a big time,experienced Dudley award winning QB with 5/6 years of experience.

We lost a big time RB who made it to the final NFL cut

We lost Jasiah Williams for the season.His versatility and quickness and shiftiness especially on flare pass catches is sorely missed.He brought another dimension to the offense.

Our remaining skill players are either undersized(WR) or inexperienced(QB).

We shut out Davidson,the Pioneer champ by default,in 1st round of playoffs.Davidson lost to VMI today,12-7.

We lost a young,hot shot OC who was responsible for the recruiting of
2 of our most productive offensive players.Billy was replaced by co-OCs that double as position coaches and a separate QB Coach.Crazy.

We were 9-4 with all that artillery and took Sac State to the final minutes.

We are hardly a 9-4 team even with a far weaker schedule.

Let’s hope Kyle makes it out of East Lansing in one piece.

Last edited:
With due respect to you 32counter, I was at all of those games last year and it was a great ride. No way we loose today to a much lesser program with so much returning talent that we had. We lost a high powered offense and coordinator, but we should have coasted today with a win. Can we recover, maybe but what a disappointing start to a Championship run this year.

I never have understood why so many on this board were happy to see Rocco leave. He did nothing but win here.
And I have never understood why our administration is so accepting with mediocrity with men's sports. The University of Richmond used to pride itself with the blend of strong academics AND athletics.

We should never lose to Morgan State in anything. Football, tiddlywinks, underwater basketweaving, whatever. Especially not at home. Good thing our AD didn't just give Russ an extension on the basis of one good season... oh, wait.

We lost 2 big time,experienced wide receivers-1 being an All American
We lost a big time,experienced Dudley award winning QB with 5/6 years of experience.
We lost a big time RB who made it to the final NFL cut
We lost a young,hot shot OC
We are hardly a 9-4 team even with a far weaker schedule.
Let’s hope Kyle makes it out of East Lansing in one piece.
That is a lot of losses. If we couldn't stop Morgan State's defense, we won't be able to stop Michigan State's. Expect Wickersham to get injured.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT