ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Richmond Spiders Football - Prologue - Morgan State

We don't have to beat MSU to make the playoffs. If we finish 8-3, we are in, period. It is a tall order after the opening debacle, but doable. Convinced we have a hell of a better team than we saw Saturday.

Agree, we were not ready to play and that is on the coaches. Team lacked focus. Played sloppy. On the flip side, with the Wheeler led defense we should be in most every game barring catastrophic TOs.
I'm saying that just because I don't see us running off 8-1 after MSU. You know there's going to be more than one landmine in there somewhere even if we do somehow get hot.

Reactions: whampas
I see it as team reading press clippings about how good we were. Especially the O- line with so much experience and depth. Believe Spides put their head down work things out, execute better. Also, first college start for KW., so see much improvement coming, line needs to give him some time back there.
Status of #17 - Wilson WR from East Tenn. ??

I see it as team reading press clippings about how good we were. Especially the O- line with so much experience and depth. Believe Spides put their head down work things out, execute better. Also, first college start for KW., so see much improvement coming, line needs to give him some time back there.
Status of #17 - Wilson WR from East Tenn. ??
17 will be back for del st.

Reactions: urfan1
I appreciate what Russ did as DC. Unfortunately he’s a prime example of a great coordinator is not necessarily a great head coach. And maybe he can be elsewhere, but he’s not here. I don’t think we need to try to figure out where to lay blame, but what we need to do is move on. However, the bigger problem is the guy above him that hands out extensions without any justification. So we’ve got to fix that problem first. We can win here. We’ve proven it. Stop with the excuses - just fix the foundation and then rebuild where we need to.

And none of that is on the players but they’ve got to do what they can. They can make the best of the situation and put forth maximum effort. I want to see them win here but I also know there’s a portal out there so no one should be lacking motivation for putting good habits/performances on tape.

I always enjoy watching games and will root for the players. I’d love to have a program I’m proud of top to bottom but we don’t have that right now. If/when other changes are made I’ll be back in 100%. Until then, there are other places that are all-in on convincing me to give my time & money to them.

The regression of the O-line is baffling with all the experience. The leaks looked like a water bucket with a hole in it. The only explanation, sadly, is coaching. New scheme for the O-line perhaps? Why is it when new coaches come in they think they have to change things? If it ain't broke don't fix it!

And are we EVER going to have a decent special teams ever again? Not great, just decent...

The co-offensive coordinators concerned me from the git go. Did RH do this to jack salaries to retain some coaches or was there not enough cash to jack salaries and bring someone in with statue totally dedicated to O?

Not close enough to program to know, but generally opposed to "cos" in any endeavor. Some posters will throw out anecdotal evidence to the contrary, hyping where it has worked, but believe the entire body of evidence suggests not the preferred approach.

actually adam ross is still the O line coach, except,this year, he is also co offensive coordinator. hummmmm time away from the O maybe ?
I’m not a huge fan of promoting from within and spreading responsibilities thin when you aren’t an offensive guy (Russ) to begin with and really don’t have an offensive scheme or identity to coach/ pass along. Maybe someone on this board with more inside knowledge can explain this in more detail (we didn’t have the budget to hire an outside OC, etc) but for Russ not to go get an offensive coordinator (or transfer QB) in this offensive centric age seems like coaching malpractice. It felt like the offensive coaches were trying to piece things together during the game on Saturday and didn’t have a real plan. Of course when your veteran OL is struggling I’m not sure what plays you can call and maybe it’s that simple (and painful) of an explanation. Problem is we will face a lot more talented front 7’s this year starting on Saturday.

The way the CAA schedule is set up, we have a relatively soft schedule of conference teams other than W and M. I believe there was an article last week in RTD reflecting this. The schedule should be good towards playoff possibility, but my crystal ball says RH doesn’t replicate his one year of playoff as our head coach. My guess is somewhere around .500 this season. Prove me wrong Russ.

Special teams are absolutely horrible again. Opponent’s starting field position at the 40 as usual. Kicking game is atrocious. I sure as hell hope no one is getting NIL on this team.

We lost 2 big time,experienced wide receivers-1 being an All American

We lost a big time,experienced Dudley award winning QB with 5/6 years of experience.

We lost a big time RB who made it to the final NFL cut

We lost Jasiah Williams for the season.His versatility and quickness and shiftiness especially on flare pass catches is sorely missed.He brought another dimension to the offense.

Our remaining skill players are either undersized(WR) or inexperienced(QB).

We shut out Davidson,the Pioneer champ by default,in 1st round of playoffs.Davidson lost to VMI today,12-7.

We lost a young,hot shot OC who was responsible for the recruiting of
2 of our most productive offensive players.Billy was replaced by co-OCs that double as position coaches and a separate QB Coach.Crazy.

We were 9-4 with all that artillery and took Sac State to the final minutes.

We are hardly a 9-4 team even with a far weaker schedule.

Let’s hope Kyle makes it out of East Lansing in one piece.
We lost to Morgan State high school.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Huesman look notably nonconfidant during his pregame interview. Didn’t seem to have much faith in Wickersham and now I see why.
Wickersham was 23 of 30 throwing the ball with one interception on a long pass that was overthrown by a yard on his first college down field pass. We do not know how he would have done on five other passes, as he was flat on his back before he could throw the ball due to lack of protection.

I believe young Wickersham might deserve a wait and see, but time will tell.

I'm saying that just because I don't see us running off 8-1 after MSU. You know there's going to be more than one landmine in there somewhere even if we do somehow get hot.
Do not know how it will go myself, but someone mentioned Bob Black mentioning Spiders last home loss at home was 2005. Team actually started 1-3 that year included a 7-0 loss to Layfette, while trying to break in a freshman QB that eventually transferred and became the Conference Player of the Year at Troy and spent two years as the Buffalo BIlls #3 because he could not beat out Eric Ward as the starter the following year. Stacy Tutt had to take back over at QB and ran off 8 straight wins for a conference championship and a playoff win.

Will lightning strike again and the Spiders go on a run, I do not know. The defense (taking out next week) should hold the team in most if not all games, but when they get the offense the ball three extra times in a game, they give it back 3 times and Special Teams add on another give away not many teams can expect to win. You will not even beat MEAC teams when you do that.

Reactions: urfan1
Do not know how it will go myself, but someone mentioned Bob Black mentioning Spiders last home loss at home was 2005. Team actually started 1-3 that year included a 7-0 loss to Layfette, while trying to break in a freshman QB that eventually transferred and became the Conference Player of the Year at Troy and spent two years as the Buffalo BIlls #3 because he could not beat out Eric Ward as the starter the following year. Stacy Tutt had to take back over at QB and ran off 8 straight wins for a conference championship and a playoff win.

Will lightning strike again and the Spiders go on a run, I do not know. The defense (taking out next week) should hold the team in most if not all games, but when they get the offense the ball three extra times in a game, they give it back 3 times and Special Teams add on another give away not many teams can expect to win. You will not even beat MEAC teams when you do that.
Not sure we have a Stacy Tutt on this roster, but if we do, he can feel free to show himself anytime.

Reactions: DTSpider
That team also had Tim Hightower as a backup fullback to start the year. Really wouldn’t mind if we had a Tim Hightower buried on the roster as well.

Wickersham was 23 of 30 throwing the ball with one interception on a long pass that was overthrown by a yard on his first college down field pass. We do not know how he would have done on five other passes, as he was flat on his back before he could throw the ball due to lack of protection.

I believe young Wickersham might deserve a wait and see, but time will tell.
Anyone can complete 23 passes when you only throw it 3-5 yards. Where's the down the field threat?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT