ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year

Spider B

Team Manager
Oct 11, 2013
Richmond, VA
I am very excited for next year. We return a lot of talent and have some younger guys with talent that got experience this year. I think it is reasonable to expect us to compete for a playoffs spot. Of course, the big unknown is Lauletta. If he can play like most of us think he can, we will be in great shape. Anyone think we make any changes to the staff?

Kyle Lauletta has already shown he's the real deal. But he will need an OL that can better protect him, than it did today, for Michael Strauss. If it can't, we may have to look harder at Broadus or Abell.

OLine today was outnumbered by Coastal.Wall Street guy dialed up blitzes all day.We had no answer for that.Strauss was hurried because OC did not adjust.

22 Seniors, 13 starters, we lose a lot, but have some stars coming back. We will need to improve in a number of areas if we expect to make back to back playoff appearances. Work hard, nothing comes free.

I'm excited to turn the page and see what we look like next year.

I'm most concerned about our Front 7 on D and Tight End. We may need a few transfers at those positions.

I think he got a 6th year from the NCAA. But he walked on Senior Day. I'm a bit confused too.

It would be huge if he came back.

Guys have chosen to walk with their class only to come back in the past. I hope he comes back.

I assume before we applied for the 6th year Evan decided that if it were approved he would use the 6th year. If so, that is huge for the D line.

Spiders return a lot of talent in the offensive skill positions. O line/TE and QB positions will be inexperienced. QB spot will definitely be a key.

Defense loses a lot of starters but should be solid at CB along with Howard at LB and Craig on DL. Waller looks like he could be a good player. Need younger players to set up.

Both K and P are young, but need to improve consistency.

I like our options on the OL. Ritcher, Vergos, High return as starters. Kliebert, Evans, Young, Light and others fighting for the other spots. Ritcher will be another year removed from his ACL tear, so his mobility should be improved.

Due to the way the two playoff games played out, the coaches did get some of the younger players on the field, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

The fact is, that no one, knows, (I added that comma, deliberately), what the next year brings. Some players regress, some remain, the same, and others progress. Then there are newcomers, and players coming off their redshirts.

You have to play the games, to know how the season will be.

I'm not concerned with the TE. We don't use them anyway even with Bombs away blitzes.

I think the O line will be a strength next year. We return 3 staters and have others who have played. Obviously the receiving corps is loaded with Diggs and Brown being potential All-Americans. RB is also loaded with Fisher, Green, and Hamlin back. Also was really impressed with how Ayo and Tafon played down the stretch. Both are still young and will only get better. We have to replace the safeties, but I think we have guys like Jones that have potential to be better than the departing seniors. I also think we have some really nice pieces on the D line returning. The schedule is tough and we will have to see how Lauletta does. I think the program is in really good shape and hopefully we can avoid the drop offs that usually occur when a large senior class departs.

Three of the four tight ends are seniors, Holloway looks like all we have now. Use them or not, we need them. I've wondered about David Broadus, and if he could/would convert to tight end. He certainly has the size and frame, and skill set: and needs to be on the field a lot. I'm looking forward to seeing Wiggins next year and if he can fill Eric Wright's shoes. I also think Gordon Collins has potential at running back. And I am VERY glad we preserved Lauletta's redshirt.

Anyone know how many freshmen lost their redshirts?

Hope that's not too many commas...........

I believe most freshmen played this year. Without doing the count, I would be surprised if more than 5 redshirted.

I think 10 freshman redshirted. Feel free to double check.

QB Drake
TE Jacob
OL Coker
OL Markham
DL Clyde
LB Day
LB Matthews
LB Springer
LB Wiggins
DB Sedergren

My guess at 2015 starting lineup (just for fun and debate). I don't know enough about the 2015 commits to list any of them in the projections at this time. Also there's a number of redshirt freshman on defense that could make an impact (only listed Wiggins below but there are 5 others)

QB - Lauletta (So)
RB - Fisher (Sr)
WR - Diggs (Sr)
WR - Brown (Jr)
WR - Bevels (So)
TE - Holloway (So)
LT - Richter (Sr)
LG - High (Sr)
C - Young (So)
RG - Vergos (Jr)
RT - Kliebert (So)

Key reserves: RB - Green (Sr), Hamlin (So), WR - Abell (So), TE Jacob (Fr), OL - Evans (Jr)

DE - Waller (So)
DT - Kelly (Sr) - assuming he comes back
DT - Craig (Jr)
DE - Gregory (Jr)
LB - Moore (So)
LB - Howard (Jr)
BN - T.Jones (Sr)
CB - Ogunniyi (Sr)
S - Coniker (So)
S - Herlocker (Sr)
CB - Manisah (So)

Key reserves: DL - Wortham (Jr), Velardo (Jr), Muse (So), LB - Hodge (Jr), Wiggins (Fr), DB - Jordan (So), Mack (Jr), D.Jones (Jr), Miller (Sr)

K - Yoder (Jr)
P - Helkowski (So)
LS - Latham (So)
KR - Hamlin (So), Green (Sr)
PR - Miller (Sr)

Marley......thanks for calling me out on my comment. I made it after driving 6 hours in the rain to get home after being frustrated and disappointed by the loss to Coastal. It was a poor attempt at humor.
But to address your question I would give coaching a shot. See what you can do for me.

Add these verbals too.

Ingle, Will 6'3" 239 DE Walter M. Williams HS, Burlington, NC
Caughell, Billy 6'2" 233 LB Apopka HS; Apopka, FL
Fleet, Deontez 6'0" 190 DB Lackey HS, Indian Head, MD
Rubin, Justin 6'1" 190 WR Archbishop Wood, Westminister, PA

I appreciate what this senior class has done by helping to get this program turned around. I am eager to see how the younger players will compete for playing time next year and am excited about our future. Web95 your predictions for starters are sound but I think we see a lot of Mack and David Jones at the safety position. I also am a Jeremiah Hamlin fan at RB as he brings power, speed and most importantly vision. I also think Alex Light will see playing time on the O Line next year possibly at a tackle position. I also think Trey Moore will be our Bandit LB. Lots of competition for playing time will help our overall depth.

I also think Lauletta will bring some mobility to the QB position which will help with the offensive scheme against blitz packages.

I do think we may need some additional help at TE with only two returning on the roster.

Personally I think we have some challenges ahead. We lost 22 seniors. Lots of starters. Kelly does have another year. I will be interesting what he does. Hoping for a TE transfer to,replace Westfall and Fitzgerald. Heard a rumor Broadus may get a look at another position but not TE. Kid is very athletic. Going to be very young and thin at lber. And as much as we like Lauletta, (everyone loves the backup QB) he is totally unproven. We don't have a true QB that has taken a snap in over a year. I think we need to have realistic expectations at that position. Losing Gund hurts more than you think. All American. great centers are hard to find. Great o-lineman as well as Ruby. And Strauss was special. Pretty tough to replace that. Roane was a special athlete and Wright was a very smart lber. And then we lose both safeties and a couple of DB subs and most of our d line in Landess, Williamson, Kelly, Farley, Fullem. Then go back and look at the kids we lost last year. A bunch of talent is walking out the door.

This post was edited on 12/7 9:32 PM by One putt

This post was edited on 12/7 9:48 PM by One putt

Originally posted by URWeb95:
My guess at 2015 starting lineup (just for fun and debate). I don't know enough about the 2015 commits to list any of them in the projections at this time. Also there's a number of redshirt freshman on defense that could make an impact (only listed Wiggins below but there are 5 others)

QB - Lauletta (So)
RB - Fisher (Sr)
WR - Diggs (Sr)
WR - Brown (Jr)
WR - Bevels (So)
TE - Holloway (So)
LT - Richter (Sr)
LG - High (Sr)
C - Young (So)
RG - Vergos (Jr)
RT - Kliebert (So)

Key reserves: RB - Green (Sr), Hamlin (So), WR - Abell (So), TE Jacob (Fr), OL - Evans (Jr)

DE - Waller (So)
DT - Kelly (Sr) - assuming he comes back
DT - Craig (Jr)
DE - Gregory (Jr)
LB - Moore (So)
LB - Howard (Jr)
BN - T.Jones (Sr)
CB - Ogunniyi (Sr)
S - Coniker (So)
S - Herlocker (Sr)
CB - Manisah (So)

Key reserves: DL - Wortham (Jr), Velardo (Jr), Muse (So), LB - Hodge (Jr), Wiggins (Fr), DB - Jordan (So), Mack (Jr), D.Jones (Jr), Miller (Sr)

K - Yoder (Jr)
P - Helkowski (So)
LS - Latham (So)
KR - Hamlin (So), Green (Sr)
PR - Miller (Sr)
Vergos to C
Evans to RG
Light to RT
Velardo to DE for Gregory
Might see Wiggins sneak in at LB, with Moore & Jones at Bandit
D. Jones for Coniker at S

Originally posted by One putt:
Personally I think we have some challenges ahead. We lost 22 seniors. Lots of starters. Kelly does have another year. I will be interesting what he does. Hoping for a TE transfer to,replace Westfall and Fitzgerald. Heard a rumor Broadus may get a look at another position but not TE. Kid is very athletic.
Very curious now about Broadus. If not tight end, then where? I don't think you're talking about punter.

I'm guessing linebacker. We really need is depth at QB unless we plan to take a xfer there.

MUST make changes. New special teams coordinator and Streeter must game plan much better. Awful O playcalling and unable to respond to blitz. Use the tight ends.

I would like to see Broadus on the field more - the guy was money everytime we called on him - when everyone knew he was going to run the ball. I think he could be successful at several positions.

It appears those wishing the departure of Streeter get their wish. He appears to be heading back to Clemson.

we put up a ton of yards and points under streeter and hate to see him go. we could really get on a roll with him. having said that, we needed to make adjustments on the fly or in game, a little better.

Originally posted by WebSpinner:
we put up a ton of yards and points under streeter and hate to see him go. we could really get on a roll with him. having said that, we needed to make adjustments on the fly or in game, a little better.
Streeter had a lot of talent to work with. love him or hate him, he has a great reputation. Regarded in the industry as a talented offensive coach.

Look at what he had to work with. A great QB in Strauss. For WR's he had Barnette, Diggs, Brown, Ponder, and 2 TE's he didn't use. Before that he had Kevin Gray and some other good WR's.

O line needs to get better. There was no push up front Saturday against a more undersized team who knocked our line back the entire game. Couldn't run the ball to save our lives. That area needs to improve for next year if the team wants to go anywhere in my opinion. Also, couldn't pick up hardly any blitzes either. Strauss was on his back more than he was upright.

He didn't cause any turnovers, that's what killed our chances for some more home field games, but you have to have a balance on offense to control the game. Strauss could spin the ball, but you cant win championships without balance once you get past the HS level. He rode that horse till the end, and we got waxed by a team we should have beat, based on talent

Next Year.... outside of what has been posted, meaning the need to fill the QB spot, the OL and some depth that we have both at WR and RB.... the defensive side was my focus watching the game on Saturday.... over the winter and spring, this is my 2.5 cents.

The defense has a need to increase Speed/Quickness at both the Bandit and whomever becomes the new LB's in the middle (We need a little Luke Kuechly type pursuit and attitude). The defense needs to improve on finishing tackles and letting oUR 2nd effort finish the play, not our opponents (which happened on key downs at Coastal). Lastly, several players have to stand up and set the attitude for the Defense and become the leaders, not because of class year, but because of heart and effort....

I think some of the Redshirted boys will surprise and find a starting role. The Spring is going to be fun to watch and see what transpires. The key is going to be hard work, not just starting in January, when they return, now and over the break....

Sounds like we do have a lot of experience in some spots, but would still like to see improvement on both OL and DL. Our OL has been inconsistent for past 2 seasons, so hope another year for some of these guys will pay dividends. Think that's why TE's have been little used in passing game, since we had to have them on line to protect and block. Offseason will be key and would definitely like to see a more balanced attack and hopefully that will come with a more mobile QB (or at least the threat of one can only help). As for DL, unless we can control line of scrimmage with 4 man rush and get some guys sacking QBs, we'll still have issues and your D on the field way too much. Eventually they wear down just like they did last week. We didn't have enough 3 and outs to get off the field for our D this season. The "bend but don't break" D doesn't work if your O isn't controlling the game and time of possession and getting TDs in red zone, instead of a lot of FGs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT