ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year Roster

The size is good, but what do the 3s look like? Hard to win consistently without the 3 ball.
🤷‍♂️ Dji uproven but wasn't recruited for as shooter, Goose is what 30ish % Grace 28% Tyler 37% and Quinn hasn't really taken that many to include.

yes, I want Burton at the 4.
if you start Grace at the 4, I guess you're counting on Walz coming in when either Quinn or Grace need a break? not sure I'm ready to commit to that, but fine if he's ready day 1.

this can all change if we add a traditional big forward in the portal, but until then I'm starting:
5: Quinn
4: Burton
3, 2, 1: any 3 of the following 4 - Goose, Connor, Dji and Jason
What am I missing? Burton doesn’t have the size or the post game to be our 4.

yes, I want Burton at the 4.
if you start Grace at the 4, I guess you're counting on Walz coming in when either Quinn or Grace need a break? not sure I'm ready to commit to that, but fine if he's ready day 1.

this can all change if we add a traditional big forward in the portal, but until then I'm starting:
5: Quinn
4: Burton
3, 2, 1: any 3 of the following 4 - Goose, Connor, Dji and Jason
These are all fair points...don't everyone lose it 😂 It was just a "what if" and here's a BIG lineup. Tyler can certainly play the 4 and may be our best best at that position as a starter. If thats the case I like a 3 guard line up...Jason Dji Goose Tyler Quinn

The size is good, but what do the 3 pointers look like? We need to at least come close to matching Jacob at the PG spot from 3. We weren't very good from three last year. We certainly can't afford to be worse from there next year. Hard to win consistently without the 3 ball.
yes, unless they make drastic improvements in the offseason that's a poor perimeter shooting team outside of Burton.
we hear Matt is a good shooter in practice but 28% is 28%.
this is where someone posts "he was only 6 makes from 35%".

he's literally the same size as Cayo.
211015_UR_MBB_Team_002_71.jpg

And more importantly, he definitely won’t be recruited as a 4 in the NBA. No way Mooney tells him to come back and then asks him to play a position that doesn’t improve his nba prospects. Let’s all stop this hypothetical debate about where Burton plays as he’s the one lock we have coming back as the 3 after last season.

Reactions: SpiderDad75

And more importantly, he definitely won’t be recruited as a 4 in the NBA. No way Mooney tells him to come back and then asks him to play a position that doesn’t improve his nba prospects. Let’s all stop this hypothetical debate about where Burton plays as he’s the one lock we have coming back as the 3 after last season.
I agree...I guess I shouldn't have posted "MY" BIG lineup...guys are losing it 😂

Lock? Are you sure? The NBA tells him to work on his speed and handle. And after the offseason, he returns as our 2... 🤣

Unless the freshman Michael Walz is playing 20 minutes a game or another big man is coming in through the portal Burton is going to have to play minutes at the 4. There is no one else on the roster who can.

I'm not saying he's an NBA 4! he's a wing.

our 3 and 4 are interchangeable on the offensive end. I'm not saying make him play like Kevin McHale on offense. he can play the same as last year from either forward position.

either he can or can't defend an A10 4 ... and I think he can. I think playing him at the 4 allows us to get our best players on the floor more. and we have a 7 footer near the rim defensively, so that helps.

ok fair enough. I can see him as a 2 but would be surprised.
Tyler as it stands right now...can't guard the two. But if we take that logic and he is playing the 2 and goes league and hes going to be guarding Harden, Beal, Klay Thompson, Paul George and the like...I don't think he can guard those type of guys right now(not many can in the league). He's a 3, he can play 4 but depending on who else Coach goes with he could end up being our best option at 3 or the 4. But I like 3 more personally.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders

our 3 and 4 are interchangeable on the offensive end. I'm not saying make him play like Kevin McHale on offense. he can play the same as last year from either forward position.

either he can or can't defend an A10 4 ... and I think he can. I think playing him at the 4 allows us to get our best players on the floor more. and we have a 7 footer near the rim defensively, so that helps.
This is solid reasoning...I think playing him at the 4 allows us to get our best players on the floor more. and we have a 7 footer near the rim defensively, so that helps. I def think he can defend at 4. He is def strong enough and athletic enough.

Reactions: spiderman
Unless the freshman Michael Walz is playing 20 minutes a game or another big man is coming in through the portal Burton is going to have to play minutes at the 4. There is no one else on the roster who can.
ahhhh....can't argue this 😀

This is solid reasoning...I think playing him at the 4 allows us to get our best players on the floor more. and we have a 7 footer near the rim defensively, so that helps. I def think he can defend at 4. He is def strong enough and athletic enough.
Solid reasoning but will not happen. Stop playing both sides SDad and take a stand. :)

How do you guys feel about the 3 guard lineup Dji, Jayson, & Goose? IF we say TB at the 4.

This has been the point I made in the past, you don't have your first legit NBA prospect in years, and make him play up a position. The scouts are going to tell him he needs to develop the perimeter skills MORE, not prove he can bang inside. Burton is at 3 and Mooney has to get off his butt and get an athletic, defending, rebounding 4.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders
🤷‍♂️ Dji uproven but wasn't recruited for as shooter, Goose is what 30ish % Grace 28% Tyler 37% and Quinn hasn't really taken that many to include.
I get that, but if he was not recruited to be a shooter, and we don't have a lot of good shooters around him, then what? For our offense to be at its best, we need our guards to be good from 3.

How do you guys feel about the 3 guard lineup Dji, Jayson, & Goose? IF we say TB at the 4.
We have played 5 guard lineups in the past. We had Buck at 6’4 playing the 5 in some lineups haha. Don’t think we were very good that year though.

I get that, but if he was not recruited to be a shooter, and we don't have a lot of good shooters around him, then what? For our offense to be at it's best, we need our guards to be good from 3.
Didn't say he wasn't good and couldn't knock down 3's..Dji is a playmaker a true pg as I've said over and over and was recruited as a playmaker. His size makes him a combo. Yes, I understand our system but you can acutally score the ball inside the 3pt line, or is that something we are planning to get away from? Was every single player on the floor this year a 3pt shooter?

Reactions: WCUR11
I like all three players, but have the same concern as others - unproven if they can stretch the floor. I do like the potential for ball handling, IQ and defense between those three - if Nelson is who we think he is, Dji can stay healthy and get opportunity. As stated before, I like Dji's ability to play 1-3. Hoping Mooney gives him plenty minutes early. Still scratching my head at Randolph's decision not to red shirt this year - unless he was just taking it as an opportunity to establish himself ahead of Dread and Noyes.

I think between Dji, Noyes, and Nelson (and Randolph really) we have four guys that have experience in the system, a year practicing against all time greats, so real potential to contribute in a big way next season. And Crabtree coming off a good run without injury could take a step. A lot of what if's, but lot of opportunity too.

You know I am going to agree with this. We need to stop worrying about "the 4" when it barely exists anymore. No one is recruiting guys to be a "4". You need to have more versatility than that. More often than not, we would be just fine with Tyler, a big, and 3 guards out there. Plenty of teams are even going 4 guards right now, and most at least 3. It would be rare to face a team with 2 dominant bigs where we would need to worry about what "big" Tyler could guard.

You know I am going to agree with this. We need to stop worrying about "the 4" when it barely exists anymore. No one is recruiting guys to be a "4". You need to have more versatility than that. More often than not, we would be just fine with Tyler, a big, and 3 guards out there. Plenty of teams are even going 4 guards right now, and most at least 3. It would be rare to face a team with 2 dominant bigs where we would need to worry about what "big" Tyler could guard.
This is a better way to explain it. I just don’t think Burton has the size to ask him to play out of position and let a big guy post him up and lean on him during rebounds.

I like all three players, but have the same concern as others - unproven if they can stretch the floor. I do like the potential for ball handling, IQ and defense between those three - if Nelson is who we think he is, Dji can stay healthy and get opportunity. As stated before, I like Dji's ability to play 1-3. Hoping Mooney gives him plenty minutes early. Still scratching my head at Randolph's decision not to red shirt this year - unless he was just taking it as an opportunity to establish himself ahead of Dread and Noyes.

I think between Dji, Noyes, and Nelson (and Randolph really) we have four guys that have experience in the system, a year practicing against all time greats, so real potential to contribute in a big way next season. And Crabtree coming off a good run without injury could take a step. A lot of what if's, but lot of opportunity too.
Very solid post. I think the PG spot is really where there will be competition this summer and preseason. I know a lot have Jayson penciled in at that spot but I wouldn't count Dji out. Dji and Jayson are close and are work out all the time together. That benefits us at the end of the day. We have also as you mentioned forgot about Crab. I think he can play a vital role. We will get another transfer I'm absolutely positive;) and they will prob be in the mix as well.

Didn't say he wasn't good and couldn't knock down 3's..Dji is a playmaker a true pg as I've said over and over and was recruited as a playmaker. His size makes him a combo. Yes, I understand our system but you can acutally score the ball inside the 3pt line, or is that something we are planning to get away from? Was every single player on the floor this year a 3pt shooter?
No, and we struggled some offensively as a result. Look at the last 3 years:
2020: 46th in offensive efficiency, 36.2% from 3, and 75.3 PPG.
2021: 53 in offensive efficiency, 35.7 from 3, and 74.7 PPG
2022: 79 in offensive efficiency, 32.9% from 3, 71 PPG.
A more alarming stat is this past year, we lost 5 A-10 regular season games when scoring 65 or less, mostly because of poor 3 point shooting. We went 6-33, 4-22, 6-25, 4-16, and 7-27 from 3 those games. The previous 2 seasons this only happened once each year. We need multiple quality 3 point shooters on the floor. I am not counting Dji out at all, and am looking forward to seeing him on the floor a lot this year. But, hopefully, if he is not consistently knocking down the three ball when out there, we have guys around him who are.

Last edited:
No, and we struggled some offensively as a result. Look at the last 3 years:
2020: 46th in offensive efficiency, 36.2% from 3, and 75.3 PPG.
2021: 53 in offensive efficiency, 35.7 from 3, and 74.7 PPG
2022: 79 in offensive efficiency, 32.9% from 3, 71 PPG.
A more alarming stat is this past year, we lost 5 A-10 regular season games when scoring 65 or less, mostly because of poor 3 point shooting. We went 6-33, 4-22, 6-25, 4-16, and 7-27 from 3 those games. The previous 2 seasons this only happened once each year. We need multiple quality 3 point shooters on the floor.
I get that...I don't think you are counting Dji out. We all know the personnel that we have. Not sure why we think those guys that have real experience ie: Goose and Matt & Crab 3 pt% will go up substantially. It may get better but usually they have proven what they will be and thats what they will be. The rest are unproven and the jurys still out on the young guys. Aidan can fill it up but can he do other things that can get him time? Crab has proven early in his career that he can shoot it and prob will be key. Was Jayson, Marcus, & Malcolm recruited bc of their 3pt shot? I don't know, that is why I'm asking but I don't think so.

All these positions can be massaged a bit, it would seem. Why couldn't Tyler defend the opponent's 3 but play a few minutes at the 4 for us on offense, for example? Or vice versa. So pencil him in at the 3.5 in my book.

However you want to slice it, I think we will have a lot of options.

All these positions can be massaged a bit, it would seem. Why couldn't Tyler defend the opponent's 3 but play a few minutes at the 4 for us on offense, for example? Or vice versa. So pencil him in at the 3.5 in my book.

However you want to slice it, I think we will have a lot of options.
True...and that is what we want correct? Options

We do have options, and I'm hoping we add to those options with a transfer who is good from 3. Someone who, even if not a starter, can come in and has the potential to light it up and hit 3 in a row like Nick could pre injuries.

That was specific to Grant. He talked often that they had a strategy to pull him out at specified points to save his legs in the game and to help at the end of a season.
ok, at 15:00. or 14:00. it's not specific to Grant. every big man will get subbed often. who are you putting in at the 4 right now. Burton, right?

We do have options, and I'm hoping we add to those options with a transfer who is good from 3. Someone who, even if not a starter, can come in and has the potential to light it up and hit 3 in a row like Nick could pre injuries.
Would you take a transfer shooting 39% 19-20 and 30% 21-22? 😀

Reactions: MDspider8
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT