ADVERTISEMENT

My View

SpiderLaw

Star
Jun 8, 2003
Very few of you know that I applied to become UR’s assistant AD back in the early 80’s when Dal Shealy was arriving. I was actually congratulated by our friend Frank Soden but did not ultimately get the job because a place was made for one of Dal’s allies, Wayne Atcheson. I never pursued a sports job again although I was active with John Davis’s Team Richmond and I coached a Richmond contingent in the Maccabi Games. I tend to look at things from a business and marketplace dynamics situation. First, alumni lost influence when the Soider Club went corporate from volunteer. In the basketball marketplace, the longer it takes to show success, the more the deck gets set against you. I have been silent but now add my name to the list of those seeking a change. I will happily offer to help organize a volunteer group to strategize steps to seek change as well as to reach out to others in an organized manner. Note: I grew up a Spider and did not attend UR as an undergrad although I graduated from UR Law.

If it worked, I could give a rat's rear end if the administration gets embarrassed. They've been embarrassing me for years now. Let's be honest Fan1, you and I are about the same age....time is not on our side and I have run out of patience.

with this administration, public outrage will work for things like academics, racial issues, sexual, drug issues, etc but it will be counter productive to "embarrass" the administration on such a thing as athletic success
I think you can raise the issue tactfully without it being an embarrassment. UR is very reactive to bad publicity, and that can be generated without it looking like a total sh*#show.

Reactions: AnnapSpider
Management reaction is going to depend entirely upon the level of PAIN.

Minor discomfort is of little value, insiders get mad and circle the wagons. Significant pain causes management to adjust, whether they are happy about or not is irrelevant.

with this administration, public outrage will work for things like academics, racial issues, sexual, drug issues, etc but it will be counter productive to "embarrass" the administration on such a thing as athletic success
Wow. That is a scathing commentary. And a little funny.

This is a great post. Appreciate this info and your perspective. I volunteer my time in any way to also seek change
This is a great post. Appreciate this info and your perspective. I volunteer my time in any way to also seek change
Plydogg, I will be happy to speak to you and see what you might suggest we do to take action. I encourage others to speak up and let us know if an offline discussion is desired.

Message me on Twitter if y’all wanna organize something, I’d be happy too. I’m thinking the vcu game would be a great time to do something.

Message me on Twitter if y’all wanna organize something, I’d be happy too. I’m thinking the vcu game would be a great time to do something.
That could fall flat, if the players rise to the occasion considering its VCU , and we win.
Timing is important.
If we’re getting waxed, like the St. Joe game then it would be perfect.

That could fall flat, if the players rise to the occasion considering its VCU , and we win.
Timing is important.
If we’re getting waxed, like the St. Joe game then it would be perfect.
I think we’ll be safe to do it that game. When has this group ever truly risen to the occasion?

Very few of you know that I applied to become UR’s assistant AD back in the early 80’s when Dal Shealy was arriving. I was actually congratulated by our friend Frank Soden but did not ultimately get the job because a place was made for one of Dal’s allies, Wayne Atcheson. I never pursued a sports job again although I was active with John Davis’s Team Richmond and I coached a Richmond contingent in the Maccabi Games. I tend to look at things from a business and marketplace dynamics situation. First, alumni lost influence when the Soider Club went corporate from volunteer. In the basketball marketplace, the longer it takes to show success, the more the deck gets set against you. I have been silent but now add my name to the list of those seeking a change. I will happily offer to help organize a volunteer group to strategize steps to seek change as well as to reach out to others in an organized manner. Note: I grew up a Spider and did not attend UR as an undergrad although I graduated from UR Law.
Spiderlaw, it is obvious why you did not get the first job you applied for as Asst. AD. It wasn't likely because of Wayne Atchinson. If you have inside influence, get away from the negative group on this board!

Spiderlaw, it is obvious why you did not get the first job you applied for as Asst. AD. It wasn't likely because of Wayne Atchinson. If you have inside influence, get away from the negative group on this board!
LKN, I ask these questions respectfully because I know you are a big supporter of the athletic department, so I mean them honestly and not in a leading way... Are you happy with our basketball program? Do you think we've achieved all that was possible in the past decade, or do you think we have underachieved? Do you think Mooney is far and away the best coach we could attract, or do you think there are others who could do better? Is there something holding us back from achieving at a higher level? If so, what? What should fans' expectations for the program be year in and year out?Should we be measuring the program in some other way aside from wins and losses/A10 titles/NCAA appearances? Genuinely interested in your thoughts, and I appreciate them.

LKN, I ask these questions respectfully because I know you are a big supporter of the athletic department, so I mean them honestly and not in a leading way... Are you happy with our basketball program? Do you think we've achieved all that was possible in the past decade, or do you think we have underachieved? Do you think Mooney is far and away the best coach we could attract, or do you think there are others who could do better? Is there something holding us back from achieving at a higher level? If so, what? What should fans' expectations for the program be year in and year out?Should we be measuring the program in some other way aside from wins and losses/A10 titles/NCAA appearances? Genuinely interested in your thoughts, and I appreciate them.
Of course Chris Mooney’s mother is happy with everything going on in the program.

Atta boy LKNSPIDER. We are elite, don't let them forget it again! In our closed society, blinders to be worn at all times. If you want to be one of us, you must play along, blow smoke, and act like everything is going great. Peasants need to understand that dissent equates to disloyalty. The emperor wears no clothes in our club.

Last edited:
According to the University website, it welcomes input, suggestions and comments regarding all University operations from any individual as long they are submitted on Form UR2022 and are accompanied by a six-figure check. It also notes that you can verify receipt of your suggestion or comment by referencing your bank account. Section A references that group petitions regarding operational issues are not being accepted at this time.

Law, count me in for anything you seem is appropriate. I appreciate Fan1's view that embarrassing the athletic department will only embolden them to circle the wagons, so if we have multiple things happening at once here from more public to more nuanced approaches, all the better.

There is a timing with all of this that is critical and to me that timing is as soon as we are eliminated in the A-10 tournament. When that happens, we need to have all the plans in place and be ready to execute them immediately. We probably have about a week window of putting as much pressure on the AD to make a change once that happens.

It is obvious why we didn’t hire him - he expects our major athletics programs to win once in a while! He wouldn’t fit in at all with UR athletics.
Plydogg, I will be happy to speak to you and see what you might suggest we do to take action. I encourage others to speak up and let us know if an offline discussion is desired.

Mr. 8legger, I want the same results every Spider fan wants: Championships, conference titles, dominate our rivalries, more fan attendance, etc.
However, the level of criticism, negativity, meaness and personal attacks totally devalues any reasonsable comments and/or influence. The end result is more anger and embarrassment! Hope all can agree to the following: ATTORNEYS don't win cases by embarrassing the JUDGE!!!, EMPLOYEES don't get promoted by embarrassing their BOSS!!! And HUSBANDS don't win arguments by embarrassing their SPOUSES!
Try dialing down the anger, nastiness and personal insults! It will take time for this board to be respected.

Kind of reminds of when I was a freshman and stood up at a basketball game and yelled “Fire Lew Mills! He doesn’t know how to win! “ Soon thereafter I felt a tap on my shoulder and an alum asked, “ How much money do you give to the school? Until you start giving money to the school you need to shut up!” Well since that day I have attributed my comeuppance to my good feeling of being bathed in endorphins from the 10k yards swum in two practices earlier in the day.
I am inclined 😎with you law. I never really was supportive of the Spider Club even though having joined a few times. I never felt they supported my sports and certainly did not offer support when we were canned. However I think it was a mistake to disband the group. Maybe re-establish with a broader base dedicated to supporting and bringing back the lost sports and continuing support of the current sports. There appear to be a good number of sports represented here.

Mr. 8legger, I want the same results every Spider fan wants: Championships, conference titles, dominate our rivalries, more fan attendance, etc.
However, the level of criticism, negativity, meaness and personal attacks totally devalues any reasonsable comments and/or influence. The end result is more anger and embarrassment! Hope all can agree to the following: ATTORNEYS don't win cases by embarrassing the JUDGE!!!, EMPLOYEES don't get promoted by embarrassing their BOSS!!! And HUSBANDS don't win arguments by embarrassing their SPOUSES!
Try dialing down the anger, nastiness and personal insults! It will take time for this board to be respected.
Thanks for your response! So with those goals in mind, largely unmet for the past decade, are you comfortable continuing to give Mooney more time to try to reach them, or do you think someone else should have a chance to try? What's a reasonable amount of time for a coach to achieve some of those things?

Or do you think there have been other things happening that have been beyond Mooney's control that have negatively impacted our performance the past decade?

Reactions: Zeeter
We can kill Mott bees with honey. We cannot blow up the whole ship in the process of reaching our goals. Honestly I can appreciate all the are trying to do, it is time to redirect the ship.

Reactions: spider23
Thanks for your response! So with those goals in mind, largely unmet for the past decade, are you comfortable continuing to give Mooney more time to try to reach them, or do you think someone else should have a chance to try? What's a reasonable amount of time for a coach to achieve some of those things?

Or do you think there have been other things happening that have been beyond Mooney's control that have negatively impacted our performance the past decade?
Athletic staffing and coaching decisions not made by this message board or me. Generally speaking, what we think does not matter either... especially at private schools. Our Board of Trustees is ultimately responsible for everything at UR. Personally I support our coaches, Athletic staff, BOD and administration because I am a loyal alum, proud of UR and the OVERALL results athletically and academically are among the most profound in the US and NCAA. If you knew my wife and me, no one wants to win every game more than we do!! Go Spiders!!

Last edited:
Kind of reminds of when I was a freshman and stood up at a basketball game and yelled “Fire Lew Mills! He doesn’t know how to win! “ Soon thereafter I felt a tap on my shoulder and an alum asked, “ How much money do you give to the school? Until you start giving money to the school you need to shut up!” Well since that day I have attributed my comeuppance to my good feeling of being bathed in endorphins from the 10k yards swum in two practices earlier in the day.
I am inclined 😎with you law. I never really was supportive of the Spider Club even though having joined a few times. I never felt they supported my sports and certainly did not offer support when we were canned. However I think it was a mistake to disband the group. Maybe re-establish with a broader base dedicated to supporting and bringing back the lost sports and continuing support of the current sports. There appear to be a good number of sports represented here.
Anachnid I remember in 72 my freshman year and seeing a fire Lew Mills sign in the stands and being a little in shock with what was happening. Have cheered for UR sports regardless of record, but at same time knew change needed to take place. Only benefit for Lew Mills was when Lennie Wertz was doing our game and the fans turned their focus to him. We all need to remember also that we can easily go from the frying pan into the fire as example Mills to Sloan.

Reactions: LKNSPIDER
Athletic staffing and coaching decisions not made by this message board or me. Generally speaking, what we think does not matter either... especially at private schools. Our Board of Trustees is ultimately responsible for everything at UR. Personally I support our coaches, Athletic staff, BOD and administration because I am a loyal alum, proud of UR and the OVERALL results athletically and academically are among the most profound in the US and NCAA. If you knew my wife and me, no one wants to win every game more than we do!! Go Spiders!!
The value of what we think hinges entirely on what we contribute.

• Angry
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Ok, that's a fair answer too. So it sounds like you are in the camp of supporting the programs and coaches no matter what, in an ongoing manner. I get that. I suspect there are others in that camp, and perhaps the administrators feel no urgency to really deliver championships or tourney appearances as a result, I don't know. Everyone has different goals for the program and different ways to express them.

Reactions: LKNSPIDER
And if no one speaks out to the BOT's than why is there impetus to change. Do you realize that Mooney (and the athletic leadership that continues his employment) is the cause of much dissension among Spider fans, alumni, and boosters (and that extends far outside this board). Mooney's continued employment hurts UR financially both short term and long term, we are losing donors, alumni and supporters because of this. We are losing credibility, respect, widespead notoriety (which comes with NCAA tournament appearances) by his failure to do his job. He is hurting the school you love so much. He is just much to divisive of a figure to remain, if he stays, he continues to divide us and he hurts UR in so many more ways than just on the basketball court.

If your loyalty is to the school, you have to see that big picture of what this is doing to UR.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
By what metric are UR's athletic results among the most profound in the US and NCAA?

And if no one speaks out to the BOT's than why is there impetus to change. Do you realize that Mooney (and the athletic leadership that continues his employment) is the cause of much dissension among Spider fans, alumni, and boosters (and that extends far outside this board). Mooney's continued employment hurts UR financially both short term and long term, we are losing donors, alumni and supporters because of this. We are losing credibility, respect, widespead notoriety (which comes with NCAA tournament appearances) by his failure to do his job. He is hurting the school you love so much. He is just much to divisive of a figure to remain, if he stays, he continues to divide us and he hurts UR in so many more ways than just on the basketball court.

If your loyalty is to the school, you have to see that big picture of what this is doing to UR.
Your description of UR's downfall is both fanatical and untrue. As I just mentioned in another post, season ticket sales increased, attendance is up, even student attendance has been excellent, RC has been rocking! BTW, Coach Mooney helps to raise more money for UR development than you would believe. The big pic is not only W's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT