ADVERTISEMENT

My View

Saying UR is a small school and is doing the most it’s capable of is a really stupid view. Small schools that do well in basketball; Gonzaga, DAYTON, Xavier, Villanova, St. Mary’s, DAVIDSON, ST BONAVENTURE, Belmont, Iona, Loyola chicago, ST JOES. Those are all teams that are doing better than us or have at least gone to the big dance more recently than us. We are capable of doing what any of those schools are if we run this program the right way.

Last edited:
Damnit ur2K we're up from the 250 in 2020-21 that's all that matters!
I didn't realize attendance figures were the primary metric for success in our basketball program. But man, I stand corrected. A whole 4% increase. Hang a damn banner. 2021 4% increase in attendance, but it right next to our Sweet 16 banner. We got lots of space now, given that we haven't hung one in 11 years.

After investing some time and thought to this message board, I understand why the athletic staff and UR admin do not use this board as a resource for ideas.

I would be curious, but don't expect anyone to do the research...

Looking at the time periods -
10/15/1961-4/15/1981
10/15/1981-4/15/2001
10/15/2001-4/15/2021

How do the 3 compare as to Seasons that had a winning percentage of 63% or better on May 1, Regular Season Championships, Conference Tournament Championships, NIT Appearances, NCAA Appearances?

As well as how do the last 15 seasons compare to all the teams who have been an A-10 conference member for at least one of those seasons? (Not just comparing their time in the A-10)

And where would those 15 seasons rank among all of Division 1?

The first part is easy...

1961–1981: Zeroes across the board

1981–2001: 10 seasons of 63% or better, 6 regular season champs, 5 conference tournament titles, 5 NIT bids, 6 NCAA bids

2001–2021: 3 seasons of 63% or better, 0 regular season champs, 1 conference tournament title, 5 NIT bids, 3 NCAA bids

Don't have time to tackle the rest of it right now. :)

Reactions: whampas
After investing some time and thought to this message board, I understand why the athletic staff and UR admin do not use this board as a resource for ideas.
LKN, do you think our basketball program can do better than this or not? I don't know if you ever really indicated that. To me, that's what it all comes down to.

Either we accept that we are unlikely to win the a10 in the regular season or in the tournament and unlikely to make the NCAAs unless something crazy and unlikely happens once in a blue moon, or we believe those ARE reachable goals. I believe the latter. You seem to want us to win championships too, but we aren't doing that. We've won one in 17 years!

At this point, to me at least, continuing with the same coach and philosophy is just an admission that we can't do any better. I believe we can, though.

The first part is easy...

1961–1981: Zeroes across the board

1981–2001: 10 seasons of 63% or better, 6 regular season champs, 5 conference tournament titles, 5 NIT bids, 6 NCAA bids

2001–2021: 3 seasons of 63% or better, 0 regular season champs, 1 conference tournament title, 5 NIT bids, 3 NCAA bids

Don't have time to tackle the rest of it right now. :)
Thanks, I expected you might have the data at hand.
The only thing I wasn't sure of on the early years was winning percentage.

The three do seem starkly different, don't they?

Oh boy. Yes, I know Gonzaga, UNC, Kentucky and coach K are all monitoring and using their fan message boards for ideas. You may have surpassed 4700 for poster of the year.

Here's what I've got for the 15 seasons from 2006–2021 for all teams that were in the A-10 for any portion of that time. Obviously, many of the schools spent time (sometimes considerable time) in other conferences, either higher or lower than our level.

And no, I'm not going to do this for all D-I teams. :)

Richmond: 3 seasons of 63% or better, 0 regular season champs, 1 conference tournament title, 3 NIT bids, 2 NCAA bids

————

Davidson: 8 seasons of 63% or better, 7 regular season champs, 5 conference tournament titles, 5 NIT bids, 6 NCAA bids

Dayton: 9 seasons of 63% or better, 3 regular season champs, 0 conference tournament titles, 6 NIT bids, 5 NCAA bids

Duquesne: 1 season of 63% or better, 0 regular season champs, 0 conference tournament titles, 1 NIT bid, 0 NCAA bids

Fordham: 0 seasons of 63% or better, 0 regular season champs, 0 conference tournament titles, 0 NIT bids, 0 NCAA bids

George Mason: 4 seasons of 63% or better, 1 regular season champ, 1 conference tournament title, 2 NIT bids, 2 NCAA bids

George Washington: 3 seasons of 63% or better, 0 regular season champs, 1 conference tournament title, 2 NIT bids, 2 NCAA bids

La Salle: 1 season of 63% or better, 0 regular season champs, 0 conference tournament titles, 1 NIT bid, 1 NCAA bid

UMass: 5 seasons of 63% or better, 1 regular season champ, 0 conference tournament titles, 4 NIT bids, 1 NCAA bid

Rhode Island: 7 seasons of 63% or better, 1 regular season champ, 1 conference tournament title, 4 NIT bids, 2 NCAA bids

Saint Joseph's: 2 seasons of 63% or better, 0 regular season champs, 2 conference tournament titles, 2 NIT bids, 3 NCAA bids

Saint Louis: 7 seasons of 63% or better, 2 regular season champs, 2 conference tournament titles, 1 NIT bid, 4 NCAA bids

St. Bonaventure: 3 seasons of 63% or better, 2 regular season champs, 2 conference tournament titles, 1 NIT bid, 3 NCAA bids

VCU: 13 seasons of 63% or better, 5 regular season champs, 4 conference tournament titles, 1 NIT bid, 11 NCAA bids

————

Butler: 10 seasons of 63% or better, 5 regular season champs, 3 conference tournament titles, 1 NIT bid, 10 NCAA bids

Charlotte: 1 season of 63% or better, 0 regular season champs, 0 conference tournament titles, 2 NIT bids, 0 NCAA bids

Temple: 8 seasons of 63% or better, 3 regular season champs, 3 conference tournament titles, 2 NIT bids, 8 NCAA bids

Xavier: 9 seasons of 63% or better, 6 regular season champs, 0 conference tournament titles, 1 NIT bid, 11 NCAA bids

8legs, you apparently went to to the wrong size school. Should have gone to VCU, JMU or ODU.
You're really stuck on this size of school baloney. The problem is we have always been a small school yet somehow during the Tarrant, etc. years we had great crowds. Yes we need outside non-affiliated fans to fill the Robins Center but outside fans only attend a school that is winning.

Here's what I've got for the 15 seasons from 2006–2021 for all teams that were in the A-10 for any portion of that time. Obviously, many of the schools spent time (sometimes considerable time) in other conferences, either higher or lower than our level.

And no, I'm not going to do this for all D-I teams. :)

Richmond: 3 seasons of 63% or better, 0 regular season champs, 1 conference tournament title, 3 NIT bids, 2 NCAA bids

————

Davidson: 8 seasons of 63% or better, 7 regular season champs, 5 conference tournament titles, 5 NIT bids, 6 NCAA bids

Dayton: 9 seasons of 63% or better, 3 regular season champs, 0 conference tournament titles, 6 NIT bids, 5 NCAA bids

Duquesne: 1 season of 63% or better, 0 regular season champs, 0 conference tournament titles, 1 NIT bid, 0 NCAA bids

Fordham: 0 seasons of 63% or better, 0 regular season champs, 0 conference tournament titles, 0 NIT bids, 0 NCAA bids

George Mason: 4 seasons of 63% or better, 1 regular season champ, 1 conference tournament title, 2 NIT bids, 2 NCAA bids

George Washington: 3 seasons of 63% or better, 0 regular season champs, 1 conference tournament title, 2 NIT bids, 2 NCAA bids

La Salle: 1 season of 63% or better, 0 regular season champs, 0 conference tournament titles, 1 NIT bid, 1 NCAA bid

UMass: 5 seasons of 63% or better, 1 regular season champ, 0 conference tournament titles, 4 NIT bids, 1 NCAA bid

Rhode Island: 7 seasons of 63% or better, 1 regular season champ, 1 conference tournament title, 4 NIT bids, 2 NCAA bids

Saint Joseph's: 2 seasons of 63% or better, 0 regular season champs, 2 conference tournament titles, 2 NIT bids, 3 NCAA bids

Saint Louis: 7 seasons of 63% or better, 2 regular season champs, 2 conference tournament titles, 1 NIT bid, 4 NCAA bids

St. Bonaventure: 3 seasons of 63% or better, 2 regular season champs, 2 conference tournament titles, 1 NIT bid, 3 NCAA bids

VCU: 13 seasons of 63% or better, 5 regular season champs, 4 conference tournament titles, 1 NIT bid, 11 NCAA bids

————

Butler: 10 seasons of 63% or better, 5 regular season champs, 3 conference tournament titles, 1 NIT bid, 10 NCAA bids

Charlotte: 1 season of 63% or better, 0 regular season champs, 0 conference tournament titles, 2 NIT bids, 0 NCAA bids

Temple: 8 seasons of 63% or better, 3 regular season champs, 3 conference tournament titles, 2 NIT bids, 8 NCAA bids

Xavier: 9 seasons of 63% or better, 6 regular season champs, 0 conference tournament titles, 1 NIT bid, 11 NCAA bids
I really do appreciate all the effort you have put into this.

First thing I notice is (if I count correctly) 8 out of 17 teams have 7 or more seasons of .63+.
Since I see the above teams as our peers, I would think matching that .63+ should be a goal.

And no I don't expect you to do this for all of D1... ;)

Although I do wonder about the correlation between .63+ and the NCAA field.
In particular, I wonder what percentage of teams that perform that well in a given season (say 2017, 2018, 2019) do play in the Tournament.

30 years ago I thought of .666 in the regular season as the benchmark. But I think offseason with a slightly lower number is more relevant.

Thanks for putting up all of those statistics but if you need to see them to know that this program has been a disappointment and a joke for the last 11 years, you havent been watching them play or you are not very educated in College basketball.

Thanks for putting up all of those statistics but if you need to see them to know that this program has been a disappointment and a joke for the last 11 years, you havent been watching them play or you are not very educated in College basketball.
To those posting tonite after losing Vcu 2 by 20 and going 7-22, please let me know if you would like to meet as a group in DC before or after UR’s game one in the tournament. I would be happy to host a gathering at a hotel nearby. I will be rooting for Spiders throughout the tourney, but nothing will now change my view is that a change is needed now once and for all.

To those posting tonite after losing Vcu 2 by 20 and going 7-22, please let me know if you would like to meet as a group in DC before or after UR’s game one in the tournament. I would be happy to host a gathering at a hotel nearby. I will be rooting for Spiders throughout the tourney, but nothing will now change my view is that a change is needed now once and for all.
Good idea, but I won’t be wasting any money to travel to DC to be ousted in the play in game.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Good idea, but I won’t be wasting any money to travel to DC to be ousted in the play in game.
Where do you live? I will be sure to make a list of interested parties and include you in a later in person or virtual meeting

Thanks. I honestly don’t know if I’m going to go to the tourney after last nights debacle.

Reactions: SpiderK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT